Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  RBS in-Limbo (extreme makeover) (Page 8)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 40 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
RBS in-Limbo (extreme makeover) by Car-Lo
Started on: 09-25-2011 12:29 AM
Replies: 1576 (186076 views)
Last post by: sourmash on 12-30-2020 08:06 PM
355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2012 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No problem John;

I put my cold air vents in place last weekend on the top portion of the cowl. I will get some pics and post in your build on WestCoast Fieros for you to see. Not sure you will have enough room to do the same thing though as your screen comes out further on the sides. An option anyway.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the rear quarter panels.

Cheers
Don
IP: Logged
Car-Lo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2012 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very rough mock up with matt board...

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 02-22-2012).]

85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2012 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You make it "look" soooo... easy
I would love to see you work on your car one day, but I am pretty far
I look forward to your updates
Keep up the good work

What is "matt board" ?
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2012 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85LAMB:

You make it "look" soooo... easy
I would love to see you work on your car one day, but I am pretty far
I look forward to your updates
Keep up the good work

What is "matt board" ?

Thanks, but I'm no bodyman, Don (355Fiero) is the real deal !
I had to ask PFF and WCF club members what materials they use (thank you very much)

Anyway Matt Board is used for framing pictures, matt board is the boarder around photos ?

355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2012 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are making me blush Car-2-Lo.

I took some pics of my cowl air vents I was telling you about. I can't seem to get my photobucket nor PIP to work tonight so I posted over on the West Coast Fieros site for you.

This should let in some additional air into my cowl area since the extended screen covers all the other inlets now. Not as large an opening as oem but between these vents and the drains that are no longer needed given no water gets into the cowl area now, I should get a decent amount of air into the heater box. Time will tell.

I like your mockups of the rear sail panels. I also use 1/4" corrugated plastic board you can get from Home Depot or Rona pretty cheaply. The plastic can be shaped pretty well and then also used as a rough mould as the fiberglass doesn't stick to the plastic.

Cheers
Don
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2012 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well Don, it's true, I'm Bozo next to you

I moved your pics of cowl air vents here to share (thank you) it looks like I'll have enough room as well.
Right now I'm focused only playing with rear end

Another great tip from Don, using corrugated plastic board, went out to Home Depot and got a 4x8 sheet (thank you)
I'll be using this for mocking up lower rear wing diffuser (lots of rough templates until it looks right)

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm using old RBS doors that had reverse chop about 1-1/2" to 2-1/2", this what it looks on RBS2...

Hacked away right down to front and about 1-1/2" at rear...

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sooooo wicked !
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MAD SKILLS!!!!!!!!

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1997 BMW 328 1984 Porsche 944

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2012 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today's scoop...

Fiberglass top edge door skins and mockup rear widebody ( next install widebody )

Few more views of rear end...

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 02-28-2012).]

1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2012 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How careful do you have to be around those wheels?!? I would be worried about nicking them while doing all that awesome work! They do make the pictures easier to envision where you're going though... Love the sail panel shape btw.
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2012 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Car-Lo:

I'm using old RBS doors that had reverse chop about 1-1/2" to 2-1/2", this what it looks on RBS2...

It nice to see that your build is coming out very exotic as a true one off design and not a replica clone. You gleaned ideas from various parts and are making the car your own. I'm digging the rake, A-pillars, doors, rear clip, windshield and hood (everything on the car really). I'm glad to see your reusing the doors too. Keep up the good work.

355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2012 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car-2-Lo;

When needing more curve in the corrugated plastic, I will cut one side of the flat surface between the corrugation sections (if that makes sense), and then carve a piece of plastic or thin wood to the shape you want and tape it to the opposite side of where you are going to fiberglass against. This gives you more dramatic curves and allows you to keep shapes in the plastic as you push fiberglass mat etc against the forms.

You can maybe pull a quick mold off the door panels you are using as well and then pull some fiberglass panels from teh molds to help reduce some of the weight. If I remember correctly, the upper flare edges you had were pretty solid.

Car is looking good.

Cheers
Don
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2012 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

How careful do you have to be around those wheels?!? I would be worried about nicking them while doing all that awesome work! They do make the pictures easier to envision where you're going though... Love the sail panel shape btw.

Very careful, I'll cover them up when I start to fiberglass and thank you very much (I'm very happy with the overall look)

Originally posted by madcurl:

It nice to see that your build is coming out very exotic as a true one off design and not a replica clone. You gleaned ideas from various parts and are making the car your own. I'm digging the rake, A-pillars, doors, rear clip, windshield and hood (everything on the car really). I'm glad to see your reusing the doors too. Keep up the good work.

Thank you so much, RBS2 has accidently evolved into something totally different than planed (with that "wake up call" from a buddy in Florida )

A few more overall views, line on tape showing nice flowing line from door to rear

Originally posted by 355Fiero:

You can maybe pull a quick mold off the door panels you are using as well and then pull some fiberglass panels from teh molds to help reduce some of the weight. If I remember correctly, the upper flare edges you had were pretty solid.

Car is looking good.

Cheers
Don

Thanks Don, I wish we lived closer actually the reverse chop is half hollow, so it's not that bad ( if I have time to play I'll give it a go )

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 03-01-2012).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2012 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow John, I didn't know you had such an extensive thread going on over here. I have been following you on our local forum. If you need an extra hood or other body panels let me know.

It also looks like I am not going to need this other fastback clip so its up for grabs if you need it. To be honest due to the condition, (a few cracks) using for what you are doing would be its best end of life use.

Lisa and I are going to selling off most of our parts collection from storage before we leave, so just drop me a shopping list when you need stuff.

Your car is looking amazing, I still tear up a bit when I see the sawzall pics of you killing RBS-1 but RBS-2 is going to look stunning to say the least.

David
P.S. all your bodywork on my car is not going to waste, I am doing a major tune up on it, installing the nitrous as well and am going to try for Aircare testing in the next week or so. I don't think we are going to have anymore snow here so I fill safe driving it with that fantastic nose.

P.P.S, if Clynt is really thinking about chopping up his nose, ask him to please not kill his current one, I may be able to come up with a donor nose for him to chop up.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2012 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know you probabley want a "one off" car CarLo, but have you considered making molds of your panels when it's complete? You could probably recoupe a lot of your cost from selling a few sets. Just something to think about. This car is looking SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so far my favorite re-body, and it's not even complete! When it's done I want to see it in person, I'm over in windy Lethbridge, it would be worth the trip.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2012 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Part of the problem is Carlo's car has gone some radical changes in like the extreme choptop, and the shortening of the front nose.

Anybody buying his panels would have to do the same.
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2012 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bridgetown:

I know you probabley want a "one off" car CarLo, but have you considered making molds of your panels when it's complete? You could probably recoupe a lot of your cost from selling a few sets. Just something to think about. This car is looking SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so far my favorite re-body, and it's not even complete! When it's done I want to see it in person, I'm over in windy Lethbridge, it would be worth the trip.

Hi Bridgetown, thank you so much,

I have never considered making molds, I'm not set up for that I would have to farm that out to Donny Boy ?
Exotices is totally right, you need the whole package to have that look, an extreme chop and a crazy raked extended windshield, I think that's what makes it look sick

Thanks again
John

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2012 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car-Lo

623 posts
Member since Jun 2006

Originally posted by Bridgetown:

Sorry for the double post, it's the wind from Lethbridge

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 03-01-2012).]

Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2012 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this is not a "bolt on" affair. Many other rebodies require frame stretches and different windshields etc. I don't think that would scare off the serious builders.
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2012 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ha..... And Donny Boy has a hard enough time getting out to work on his own projects let alone a couple others out there......

Keep it up John as the car is looking really good.

Cheers
Don

Hi Bridgetown, thank you so much,

I have never considered making molds, I'm not set up for that I would have to farm that out to Donny Boy ?
Exotices is totally right, you need the whole package to have that look, an extreme chop and a crazy raked extended windshield, I think that's what makes it look sick

Thanks again
John

PFF
System Bot
wee twisted

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2012 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wee twistedSend a Private Message to wee twistedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
car warriors
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2012 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here we go again...

The old RBS wide door panels were looking way to boring ( red door skins from Capt. Fiero )

Visualizing new design using corrugated plastic templates

Added reverse chop on door, back ledge 1-1/2" to 0"

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 03-09-2012).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2012 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Playing around with panels...

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2012 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fun mocking around...

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love what you have done so far, but not really a fan of the direction in the last few pics. With more flat shelf rear quarters, it is starting to have the hip shape of a testarossa.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the swoopiness of the side profile, but I too am having a hard time understanding the intent of your latest panel additions. Is the idea to have a combination of bold creases and relatively flat panels, or is that just a constraint of the medium you are working with? Can you post a rear quarter view of your current styling to give a better idea of the width/depth/profile of the new panels?
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

I love the swoopiness of the side profile, but I too am having a hard time understanding the intent of your latest panel additions. Is the idea to have a combination of bold creases and relatively flat panels, or is that just a constraint of the medium you are working with? Can you post a rear quarter view of your current styling to give a better idea of the width/depth/profile of the new panels?

Thanks, I'm having fun playing around with designs, not sure what "direction yet " the latest is somewhat of the Aventador flavour ??
If I go for it, the panels won't be flat (that was just for mockup), I'll be using polyisocyanurate foam sheet sanded to have a bit of a curve to it.

Today I'll be tweaking the overall design and see if it's a go (if not I'll go back to the old boring RBS body parts) I'll shoot rear to side views for more visualizing and post tonight.

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Love what you have done so far, but not really a fan of the direction in the last few pics. With more flat shelf rear quarters, it is starting to have the hip shape of a testarossa.

Thanks for the feedback, that's what I need to hear I did trim down the flat shelf a bit since and we'll see tonight if it's a go or not?

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 03-11-2012).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car-Lo

623 posts
Member since Jun 2006
Not to much play today, a few more views for visualizing...

After seeing it in real life today, it looks pretty wild, needs lots more tweaking.

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 03-12-2012).]

85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see what your goin for there and I like it a lot! With the top door pieces you added the body line there looks mean!
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the additional pictures. The flatter panels with the pronounced crease will look fine IMHO. It's tough to do justice to some cars in photos... many of them look much better in person so you shouldn't rely too much on our comments
That said, my only other question is whether you would continue the flatter and creased look somehow into the front fender as well, or keep it rounded.
PFF
System Bot
andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kinda starting to get a Testarossa type look to the back and sides now.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like what i see so far, especially the rake on the side vent, very nice. Love the rear clip too.
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a quicky for yah Have you thought about a vinyl wrap satin black maybe?

------------------

Love The Excitement! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

[This message has been edited by 85SEnochie (edited 03-15-2012).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glued few layers of cut out foam and started to rough out ledge

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

John

The car is just stunning and looks soooo exotic just sitting there.

i could watch you play with foam and different designs forever hehehe.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So John, I cleared it with the wife to Play Fiero's this weekend, you want to come out on Saturday or Sunday to grab the panels. Side note, we have a new younger member in the club that has been following your car closely and wants to eventually do a similar choptop to his fastback. So next time you are at a club meeting, remind me and I'll introduce you to him. You got my cell number, drop a line tomorrow so we can set up a time.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2012 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Capt Fiero and I went to storage locker (Fiero parts everywhere)

A nice clean rear clip to start (I butchered RBS last one to death)

Action shot...

Ready to cut down clip to fit in van (all I need is the sides for the wide body)

RBS's cargo van for body parts

Thank you so much Capt. Fiero for all the body parts, it was a great fun time with you as always

Capt. Fiero shot a short video from today.

http://captfiero.com/videos...ero/choppingclip.wmv

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2012 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Action shot...

Love the "Mad Scientist" evil grin.

Cheers Beers n Gearz. Joe

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2012 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by deloreanant:

Car-Lo, I'm also on a budget, does this mean you'll be doing this to my car when I come to Canada?

Hey deloreanant, when you come to Canada, can you bring over a couple of GT rear clips RBS-2 is running low on body parts.

Glassed over foam ledge, front needs to be tweaked a bit smaller as shown at tape marks

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 40 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock