Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  RBS in-Limbo (extreme makeover) (Page 33)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 40 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
RBS in-Limbo (extreme makeover) by Car-Lo
Started on: 09-25-2011 12:29 AM
Replies: 1576 (186100 views)
Last post by: sourmash on 12-30-2020 08:06 PM
85SEnochie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2015 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I too think the 3rd one is the way to go

------------------

Love The Excitement! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

IP: Logged
kennn

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2015 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kennnSend a Private Message to kennnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pic 3; tail lights are just perfect. Good eye.

Ken

------------------
'88 Formula V6
'88 GT TPI V8

lou

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2015 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for louSend a Private Message to louEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Move the four upper bumper ribs to align with and match the angles of the tail lights. Install a hide a plate for the center section. Remove and use the lower grates from the original engine vents for the openings as they have a much smaller pattern. You can make patterns from wood for the openings and shape the new grates over them with a hammer to fit the contours exactly while folding over the ends of the grates for easy mounting.
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the input lou and thanks for the PM I was going with your idea too with the engine mesh, but it's a bit to light, she wants something bolder as the Solstice...

Originally posted by lou:

Move the four upper bumper ribs to align with and match the angles of the tail lights. Install a hide a plate for the center section. Remove and use the lower grates from the original engine vents for the openings as they have a much smaller pattern. You can make patterns from wood for the openings and shape the new grates over them with a hammer to fit the contours exactly while folding over the ends of the grates for easy mounting.

Found what she wants...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uni...c%7CModel%3ASolstice

I ordered two sheets to start with I'll be fabricating frames for the honeycomb mesh

Photoshop mesh shown below is not to scale. Actual mesh will be smaller
I blacked out top clip panel just to visualize a lot more tweaking to get diffuser looking better

And the REAL DEAL hey Nells88, she's getting jealous about your project

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 09-04-2015).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car-Lo

623 posts
Member since Jun 2006

Originally posted by AndyQB:

Hi

I think PIC 3 is the way to go - and see where it leads you ;-)

Thanks Andy anyways, it's a start

Also thanks to 85SEnochie and kennn for your input good night
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Car-Lo:

And the REAL DEAL hey Nells88, she's getting jealous about your project

My girl will be happy if she wakes up one day and is half the car yours is!
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2015 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Carlo,

Thought you might find options for material here:

http://www.mcnichols.com/pr...rated/hexagonal-hole
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2015 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

My girl will be happy if she wakes up one day and is half the car yours is!

She'll be sweeter with your skills and taste " the Aventador " RBS2 is still jumping I even have the Aventador on desktop screen

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 09-08-2015).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2015 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car-Lo

623 posts
Member since Jun 2006

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

Carlo,

Thought you might find options for material here:

http://www.mcnichols.com/pr...rated/hexagonal-hole

Thanks TXOPIE for the info but the 1/2" hex holes are still a bit to small and skinny she likes hex BOLD as sample shown below

I was at Safeway this morning and noticed Lambo carts

Just playing around...

BEFORE:

AFTER:
I ordered inserts frames around lights, I'll wait until I get them before doing anything with rear/also tweaked top ledge to match lower angle

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 09-09-2015).]

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2015 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do not know if I like the wing ? But had to play with her a little Have you put the stock tips in the hole to see if you like it, I do! But my scale of it might be a little off?

------------------

Love The Excitement! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

[This message has been edited by 85SEnochie (edited 09-09-2015).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2015 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Terry you did a better cloning of the hex mesh feel free to play with any different ideas

At this point the rear is on pause waiting for insert frames to play around them
I love the blue Lambo that I'm stealing things off of it now the wing seems to belong and the exhaust tips too.

Originally posted by 85SEnochie:

I do not know if I like the wing ? But had to play with her a little Have you put the stock tips in the hole to see if you like it, I do! But my scale of it might be a little off?

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 09-09-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2015 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like the exhaust tip you made I'd definitely keep that.
Formula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2015 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
its looking good. One thing that has always caught my attention was the path on the side, have you ever thought of making it like this:

[This message has been edited by Formula (edited 09-10-2015).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2015 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just making sure, is it the red box ?

Originally posted by Steel:

I really like the exhaust tip you made I'd definitely keep that.

Yesterday my nephew and I cleaned up the interior , dusted everything, put parts and tools away

Then we turned her around (since the rear is on pause waiting for parts) and work on the front

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHOsEs_Lplg

This is how she looks now

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2015 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car-Lo

623 posts
Member since Jun 2006
Thanks for the different idea it's not bad at all maybe she'll stay until some one else changes her

Originally posted by Formula:

its looking good. One thing that has always caught my attention was the path on the side, have you ever thought of making it like this:

Something came today...
It's nice and BOLD @ 3/16" thick

I backed the mesh with black foam core just to visualize on the photos it looks gray, but it's actually black

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 09-11-2015).]

kennn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2015 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kennnSend a Private Message to kennnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car-Lo, I don't how to draw on images that you have posted, so I'm going to try to use 10,000 words to suggest something.

Taking a somewhat vague cue from the blue Lambo from the rear, I'm wondering what you think of continuing to extend upward and outward the lower "bumper" members on the angle that is presently shown until it closely approaches the upper horizontal "bumper" member, at which point it becomes parallel to the upper member extending outward. Then the rear bumper wouldn't be just upper and lower members mirroring one another the entire width.

Thanks Terry you did a better cloning of the hex mesh feel free to play with any different ideas

At this point the rear is on pause waiting for insert frames to play around them
I love the blue Lambo that I'm stealing things off of it now the wing seems to belong and the exhaust tips too.

------------------
'88 Formula V6
'88 GT TPI V8

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2015 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

John I am not sure exactly what it was, but you either have a vacuum leak in the brake system or something. There is a distinct hiss going from throttle to brakes and back. Without being there to see exactly what is going on, I can't exactly pinpoint it. However when you turn the car around again take a second to pop the deck and record sounds in the engine bay AND record under front hood sounds. Also ask tony if the brakes felt hard to push or normal for a modern car. As you know Lisa and I have your same motor in our Family car, the 2000 GTP. It might just be that you have the intake tube off, and its making the air bleeding past the intake butterfly really loud, so it may be nothing, but I think checking it would be a good idea.

David

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics For Sale $4000, Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2015 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your input but I can't make out what you're trying to describe we'll have to ask Terry to jump in and photoshop your image

Originally posted by kennn:

Car-Lo, I don't how to draw on images that you have posted, so I'm going to try to use 10,000 words to suggest something.

Taking a somewhat vague cue from the blue Lambo from the rear, I'm wondering what you think of continuing to extend upward and outward the lower "bumper" members on the angle that is presently shown until it closely approaches the upper horizontal "bumper" member, at which point it becomes parallel to the upper member extending outward. Then the rear bumper wouldn't be just upper and lower members mirroring one another the entire width.

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2015 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car-Lo

623 posts
Member since Jun 2006
I always had that hiss in RBS from day one you'll have to zip over and have a look maybe it's the exposed filter

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:
John I am not sure exactly what it was, but you either have a vacuum leak in the brake system or something. There is a distinct hiss going from throttle to brakes and back. Without being there to see exactly what is going on, I can't exactly pinpoint it. However when you turn the car around again take a second to pop the deck and record sounds in the engine bay AND record under front hood sounds. Also ask tony if the brakes felt hard to push or normal for a modern car. As you know Lisa and I have your same motor in our Family car, the 2000 GTP. It might just be that you have the intake tube off, and its making the air bleeding past the intake butterfly really loud, so it may be nothing, but I think checking it would be a good idea.

David

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2015 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lisa and I are packing like Crazy and loading a 26ft moving truck this weekend, so I won't be able to come by anytime soon. At this rate I am not going to have any free time till after new years. However yes I will have to pop by at some point and check it out. If its a noise you have had since day one, and I didn't notice it when I drove RBS around that afternoon its probably just the intake butterfly.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics For Sale $4000, Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2015 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll check out where the hiss is coming from so David where are you guys moving too, I hope it's not to far ?

Lisa and I are packing like Crazy and loading a 26ft moving truck this weekend, so I won't be able to come by anytime soon. At this rate I am not going to have any free time till after new years. However yes I will have to pop by at some point and check it out. If its a noise you have had since day one, and I didn't notice it when I drove RBS around that afternoon its probably just the intake butterfly.

PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2015 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope not too far, you will still be able to pop by on your way to and from Pick A Part. We are moving out to Abbotsford as it was much better bang for the buck in terms of housing. Decent houses around here start at $800,000 that was just too far out of reach for Lisa and I.

------------------

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2015 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good for you guys it's a nice drive out there and I'll have to stop in for coffee

Nope not too far, you will still be able to pop by on your way to and from Pick A Part. We are moving out to Abbotsford as it was much better bang for the buck in terms of housing. Decent houses around here start at $800,000 that was just too far out of reach for Lisa and I.

We had nice weather I took time off to enjoy it

The latest update...
My nephew and I where able to remove the old front suspension without snapping off any bolts, we where told not to use impact gun/
just use a longer pipe for leverage, it was slow but came off smooth

Replacing with used 13" Wilwood sport front suspension (this suspension wasn't driven much at all)

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 09-13-2015).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2015 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya know I helped transport that suspension to your place and I am still impressed when I see it. The only that worries me and it just might be camera angle but it looks like the new suspension is wider that your old one. Did or can you measure it from rotor to rotor on both to make sure. Its possible Hugh got longer control arms to work with his body kit. It won't kill you as if its too wide, RBS will just get an extra wide body front. Plus maybe some wheels with a deeper offset. Either way it looks dead sexy. Congrats on it. That truly is my dream suspension and brakes setup.

I see your old suspension appears to have Grand Am slotted / cross drill rotors ? Any chance you might want to sell it as a package. I would not need the cross member, just the hubs rotors and possibly the rack and pinion. The control arms appear to have Poly bushings, you could probably sell that for a few bucks too. People like to buy control arms with poly as it saves them the hassle of installing them. I did that with my 88GT bought an entire 88 suspension front to back with poly installed. Might it so easy to drop and swap.

I would have to wait until are moved and settled in to the new house though so if you don't mind waiting a few weeks.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2015 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000
Oh I forgot to mention, when you put the new suspension in LOCK TIGHT THE HELL OUT OF THOSE BOLTS. USE THE RED LOCK TIGHT. As you don't want those bolts ever coming loose.

------------------

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2015 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
THE GOOD...
installing the new suspension went very smooth, it 's the same size we jacked it up and bolted it on / but wait for the BAD.

Here we are two amateur wrencher-ers celebrating job well done

Ya know I helped transport that suspension to your place and I am still impressed when I see it. The only that worries me and it just might be camera angle but it looks like the new suspension is wider that your old one. Did or can you measure it from rotor to rotor on both to make sure. Its possible Hugh got longer control arms to work with his body kit. It won't kill you as if its too wide, RBS will just get an extra wide body front. Plus maybe some wheels with a deeper offset. Either way it looks dead sexy. Congrats on it. That truly is my dream suspension and brakes setup.

I see your old suspension appears to have Grand Am slotted / cross drill rotors ? Any chance you might want to sell it as a package. I would not need the cross member, just the hubs rotors and possibly the rack and pinion. The control arms appear to have Poly bushings, you could probably sell that for a few bucks too. People like to buy control arms with poly as it saves them the hassle of installing them. I did that with my 88GT bought an entire 88 suspension front to back with poly installed. Might it so easy to drop and swap.

I would have to wait until are moved and settled in to the new house though so if you don't mind waiting a few weeks.

Thanks David for posting all those tips to late

THE BAD...

I think I installed the shock upside down, is the valve at top or bottom ? pic is at bottom and let us know
The red sway bar, the links look to long
Didn't use any lock tight / I can do one at a time tomorrow

Tomorrow I'll have to slowly change the bad

Yeah David, you can zip over anytime and take what you need from old suspension (it's free) no rush !

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 09-14-2015).]

cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2015 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

THE BAD...

I think I installed the shock upside down, is the valve at top or bottom ? pic is at bottom and let us know

The valve should be at the bottom
kennn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2015 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kennnSend a Private Message to kennnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, as cyruss88 notes, ordinarily the valve is at the bottom. However, some people like to mount the spring/shock with the heavier end mounted to the chassis to reduce unsprung mass in order to achieve optimum handling. In your case it would be to mount it with the valve end mounted to the cross member; it appears that both ends have the same mounting detail. The actual benefit? Slight I imagine, since our cars are relatively heavy in relation to race cars.

Ken

------------------
'88 Formula V6
'88 GT TPI V8

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2015 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To be honest I thought it had to be down, but my brain is not really thinking straight at the moment, I can't grasp what effect up or down will have with the adjustment of the coil over. You might want to contact Chris Zander <fire451@gmail.com> as he was the one that originally built the car.

and

Thank You TONS for the suspension, that is awesome.

If there is ever anything you need from my parts bin just let me know and its yours.

David
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2015 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No updates yet just busy with other things to catch up

Originally posted by cyrus88:

The valve should be at the bottom

Thanks cyrus88 for your input

Yes, as cyruss88 notes, ordinarily the valve is at the bottom. However, some people like to mount the spring/shock with the heavier end mounted to the chassis to reduce unsprung mass in order to achieve optimum handling. In your case it would be to mount it with the valve end mounted to the cross member; it appears that both ends have the same mounting detail. The actual benefit? Slight I imagine, since our cars are relatively heavy in relation to race cars.

Ken

Thanks kennn that is good info so maybe in RBS2 case it shouldn't matter to much which is at top or bottom
What do you think if I have valve at top for easier access for valve/ride hight adjustments or just leave it as is with valve at bottom ??

Dr.Fiero sent photo from another Fiero with valve at top as shown below...

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 09-15-2015).]

kennn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2015 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kennnSend a Private Message to kennnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The valve at the top is located at the heavier end of the spring/shock. My counsel is to then place the valve adjuster at the top for less unsprung mass for better handling. If I had a choice, that's what I would do.

Ken

------------------
'88 Formula V6
'88 GT TPI V8

PFF
System Bot
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2015 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

To be honest I thought it had to be down, but my brain is not really thinking straight at the moment, I can't grasp what effect up or down will have with the adjustment of the coil over. You might want to contact Chris Zander <fire451@gmail.com> as he was the one that originally built the car.

and

Thank You TONS for the suspension, that is awesome.

If there is ever anything you need from my parts bin just let me know and its yours.

David

Thanks David, I got a hold of Chris and he said to switch it to the top for access to the setting.

The valve at the top is located at the heavier end of the spring/shock. My counsel is to then place the valve adjuster at the top for less unsprung mass for better handling. If I had a choice, that's what I would do.

Ken

Thanks again kennn for your help, today I'll change the valve to the top for those reasons hook up brake lines and drop her down.

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 09-16-2015).]

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2015 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car-Lo ...Coming together nicely...thanks for continuing to share with the rest of us.
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2015 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks TXOPIE she's much happier now with better suspension and bigger brakes

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

Car-Lo ...Coming together nicely...thanks for continuing to share with the rest of us.

Got her dropped down...
That's the lowest ride height setting with new suspension 1/2" higher than before (she was to low before)

This high volume master cylinder came with 13" brake kit

Installing the unit...

Nice place to hook up brake lines

Finished

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 09-18-2015).]

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2015 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
QA-1 shocks like the ones you have can be mounted in any position .They are great shocks you are going to love them .One problem with the sport suspension is not enough travel .I had to modify the upper perch to get the travel and ride height I wanted .Someone may have already done that to your setup because the QA-1 shocks do not fit the standard width sport suspension without mods .That is the front of my car in the picture .I feel like I have made it to the big leagues now lol .
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2015 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info wftb so that's where Dr.Fiero dug up your photo I had to check out your build thread and you're doing an amazing custom work to the suspension
Today I call Richard (West Shore Fab) and said the same thing in the way I drive I can have it both ways, one on top and other at bottom anyway today I ordered wide bumpsteer 3" each side and doing away with the adapters
The sport suspension with QA-1 shocks came off 308 replica, I seen it drive at meetings and Capt. Fiero drove it too and everything worked fine, so I guess they made the mods.

Originally posted by wftb:

QA-1 shocks like the ones you have can be mounted in any position .They are great shocks you are going to love them .One problem with the sport suspension is not enough travel .I had to modify the upper perch to get the travel and ride height I wanted .Someone may have already done that to your setup because the QA-1 shocks do not fit the standard width sport suspension without mods .That is the front of my car in the picture .I feel like I have made it to the big leagues now lol .

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 09-19-2015).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2015 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little update...
Yesterday came the C7 taillight frames

Front suspension is done today I turned RBS2 around to work on the rear again
Blue marking showing corner trimmed same angle as lights/ next weld on caps onto corners also showing frames over lights

Now I can start work around taillight frames

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2015 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hard for me to visualize those structural areas (corners) you trimmed, in order to get trim clearance under lamps. If it looks like it weakened those corners, try to fabricate a cap so that it adds strength back into the corner caps you plan to weld in. If corner strength is reduced, it will add some flex to corner that will crack those existing welds that remain.
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks California Kid for the heads up on the structure I'm not to worried about that by capping corners should bring some strength back also the second wall from trunk might just carry enough load ?
I'm just curious why your name isn't "Michigan Kid" let us know

Originally posted by California Kid:

Hard for me to visualize those structural areas (corners) you trimmed, in order to get trim clearance under lamps. If it looks like it weakened those corners, try to fabricate a cap so that it adds strength back into the corner caps you plan to weld in. If corner strength is reduced, it will add some flex to corner that will crack those existing welds that remain.

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks California Kid for the heads up on the structure I'm not to worried about that by capping corners should bring some strength back also the second wall from trunk might just carry enough load ?
I'm just curious why your name isn't "Michigan Kid" let us know

I named my car "California Kid", for many reasons, but mainly because it spent all it life on the road in California. Michigan is my home State, I flew out to LA in 1999 to buy the car and drove it back to MI.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 40 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock