Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  RBS in-Limbo (extreme makeover) (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 40 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
RBS in-Limbo (extreme makeover) by Car-Lo
Started on: 09-25-2011 12:29 AM
Replies: 1576 (186080 views)
Last post by: sourmash on 12-30-2020 08:06 PM
pistonbroke

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2012 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pistonbrokeSend a Private Message to pistonbrokeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love where this is heading and great drawings too. I'm also interested to know if and how you are planning on creating the kick and swoop on the door and wondered if the door frame could be cut down to create it.

Also John have you widened the track? as the pics look like you have or are they the standard fenders i'm looking at. I've re-read through the thread and it looks like OEM A arms are being used. Apologies for my ignorance.

Charles
IP: Logged
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2012 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Car-Lo:

I always liked Sesto Elemento's rear wing diffuser and exposing the big fat tires.

Playing with some designs for RBS (I know she'll like to expose her 325 Michelins)

Anyway, here's some rough sketches...

WOW ! love the rough skeches as you call them !
More photo's to play with YAH!

------------------

Love The Excitement! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2012 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI all

I absolutely positively LUV your sketches!!! Excelents vision is found when putting yourself inside something available. To be honest, if I were able to shape a car myself someday, you rear end sketch is exactily where to start for me. The Sesto is stellar in design. You just made it even greater than that. Like anyone I have a design going in what i'd like my car to look like, on paper. The rear-end is the place I was almost shying away from, waiting for when I had to cross that bridge I guess. I wanted to keep the roof of this Fiero a notchie, so the downward sloping angel of the notchie rear bumber was something I wanted to keep. Now I am not so sure anymore. lol... Always liked the idea of a notchie with a fastback rear bumper, even though it doesn't appeal to me all that well in construction. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder all the more accurate still today.

I do have one question. A back story to this question. Over at ARI's kitcar forum Ferrari kitcars hold probably the biggest collection of people putting willing to go that route. Eventually came an extended windshield so the kit would look all the more accurate. You had to modify the a-pillar, like your doing. Only something to figure out kept coming back up. The cold-air return, and someone said they figured this out. My question is two-fold. Did you figure yours out? Is it the same as funnywheels, his name at ARI's forum or madmechanics.com, or is your design another take at making a cold-air return work for your car? If you don't want to give that away right away that is fine, can totally understand. If you do, awesome, and sloping your front end to resemble a Lambo is jaw-dropping! I began to see that aerodynamic cool factor with the Diablo. Never though did I put it together with making the front of a car smaller in appearance with the larger rear. That part too, jaw-dropping!!!

Truly magnificent....

Thanx all,

Ear-ick...

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen.... An advancement, of other
voices I came across.

S.F??, hint, it's a car manufacturer....

Do not walk infront of me, I may not follow. Do not walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend forever.
-unknown- found here: http://crystal-cure.com/love-quote.html

Life's best tour guides? Contrast and mixture. One sets things apart yet cohesively, the other seperates associatingly.

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2012 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh man oh man can you write pavo_roddy !

About the fresh air, (there's nothing to hide and no big secret) it's just on pause and we moved on.
We'll have to check this guy " funnywheels" out and thanks for the tip

When we get to that point, we'll show you "what not to do"
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2012 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car-Lo

623 posts
Member since Jun 2006

Originally posted by pistonbroke:

I love where this is heading and great drawings too. I'm also interested to know if and how you are planning on creating the kick and swoop on the door and wondered if the door frame could be cut down to create it.

Also John have you widened the track? as the pics look like you have or are they the standard fenders i'm looking at. I've re-read through the thread and it looks like OEM A arms are being used. Apologies for my ignorance.

Charles

Thanks and about that "kick and swoop" ...
I'll be raising window line about 1-1/2" higher at back and flowing down to front pillar, that's where its going to kick up (on pillar, not glass) to fender, it will give the same look ?

In this pic you're looking at standard fenders and door skin, the wide body parts are stripped off and waiting for the new design.

This is the Video exoticse send me that made RBS's eyes sparkle (and wanted a makeover ever since)

http://www.youtube.com/watc...HPAw&feature=related

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 01-05-2012).]

pistonbroke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2012 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pistonbrokeSend a Private Message to pistonbrokeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks and about that "kick and swoop" ...
I'll be raising window line about 1-1/2" higher at back and flowing down to front pillar, that's where its going to kick up (on pillar, not glass) to fender, it will give the same look ?

In this pic you're looking at standard fenders and door skin, the wide body parts are stripped off and waiting for the new design.

This is the Video exoticse send me that made RBS's eyes sparkle (and wanted a makeover ever since)

Looks like it's all in hand, Kinda like a reverse chop with with more shaping. Standard fenders... right, it did get me thinking you had gone ultra wide for a moment. Not a budget upgrade I agree! Mmm now how about removing the rest of your trunk and exiting those tail pipes just under the rear wing?.. "Elemento my dear Watson"
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2012 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is one cool looking concept in that video. I like that guys vision. Even those rear "stabilizer fins" or whatever you want to call them remind of me a fighter jet. I like them! I know you're not obviously going to be making that exact concept, but I like where yours is headed too. It was already nice before you started chopping it up again. You have a lot of talent for bringing concepts to life, and your sketches look great too. Keep it up!
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2012 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gosh !...I wish that I can draw like that...back to school.
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2012 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

Gosh !...I wish that I can draw like that...back to school.

Gosh!...I wish I had your skills with fiberglass and mold making your work is so perfect
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2012 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car-Lo

623 posts
Member since Jun 2006
Today Clynt came over and had and said the proportions are way off on the sketches

So just to make him happy I did a sketch overlay on existing photo (should be a bit closer

EDIT: Hey Exoticse, today for the first time Clynt has mentioned about tweaking his chopper nose (something more slicker )

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 01-09-2012).]

pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2012 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI all

Thanx for the compliment about writing, in the process of a non-fiction feature so it is hitting home.. I also gotta say thanx to you for something new... Having your PFF name on the bottom of the quarter panel is killer cool... Ferrari has been doing it for years acknowledging the company that shapes the cars body... Knew that, but still didn't tell me what else is there.... Dreamy tool added to my bag of trix, and your to blame...

Thanx all...

Air-eek...
PFF
System Bot
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2012 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Today Clynt came over and had and said the proportions are way off on the sketches

So just to make him happy I did a sketch overlay on existing photo (should be a bit closer

EDIT: Hey Exoticse, today for the first time Clynt has mentioned about tweaking his chopper nose (something more slicker )

Holy Schmoley! That is one major transformation!
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2012 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

^That is quite the transformation! Love your work, is the finished product going to be that silver on white paint scheme?

edit: VVV That looks sweet 85senotchie! My vote goes for that paint scheme! How did you know green is my favorite color? Though I would probably switch it up, and have the darker color on the bottom and the white on top...

[This message has been edited by 1988holleyformula (edited 01-12-2012).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2012 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey 1988holleyformula, thank you for the comparisons.

It's amazing what a huge difference it makes with an extended windshield.
Sorry I don't recognize the top picture. Whose car is that anyway???

Oh, about the color, it's up in the air now, anything goes.

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 01-11-2012).]

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2012 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

^That is quite the transformation! Love your work, is the finished product going to be that silver on white paint scheme?

Maybe even this for paint scheme?

------------------

[This message has been edited by 85SEnochie (edited 01-11-2012).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2012 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car-lo did you test out the DRL yet ?

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2012 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Car-lo did you test out the DRL yet ?

Not yet, is there trouble in paradise ?

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2012 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hehehe,.....noooooooo i was just curious.

Mine are en route to whodeanie.
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2012 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
hehehe,.....noooooooo i was just curious.

Mine are en route to whodeanie.

That's good news for both of us, I won't be out at RBS until the weekend (I think I'll try them out).

EDIT: I had to share this cool design.. http://carscoop.blogspot.co...cy-design-study.html

Would be... Great for the new Mad Arch Kit for 2012 ???

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 01-15-2012).]

deloreanant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2012 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deloreanantSend a Private Message to deloreanantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car-Lo, I'm also on a budget, does this mean you'll be doing this to my car when I come to Canada?
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2012 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been kinda' quite around here.

Joe
PFF
System Bot
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2012 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Been kinda' quite around here.

Joe

Quite quite indeed. Haha.

fierofinder

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2012 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not quite. Quiet. I quit.
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2012 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, January was a BUST !

Hood # 3 to be hacked up (got it from my buddy Blair)
I'm trying to raise the bar for (most) hacked up body parts

Hood # 2 was a rehearsal...

Playing with headlight shapes...

Rough sketch...(it may not be this one, still playing with designs)

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 02-03-2012).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2012 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RBS old rear clip is really butchered up, going to start with a fresh rear clip (from Blair)

Very interesting fun shots stock rear clip on chopper...

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 02-04-2012).]

pistonbroke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2012 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pistonbrokeSend a Private Message to pistonbrokeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking great so far and the standard rear clip really shows the severity of the chop.

Do you think that the Mazda windshield would work with say a 2" or 3" chop? I'm over 6' and I think I would really struggle. I realise that you are going to make seats that sit on the floor to increase headroom but what are your ideas about altering the angle of the steering column so that your not driving like a chopper with ape swingers?
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2012 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looking great so far and the standard rear clip really shows the severity of the chop.

Do you think that the Mazda windshield would work with say a 2" or 3" chop? I'm over 6' and I think I would really struggle. I realise that you are going to make seats that sit on the floor to increase headroom but what are your ideas about altering the angle of the steering column so that your not driving like a chopper with ape swingers?

Had to EDIT: (for I am BOZO)

Photo below showing Mazda windshield laid on 2" chop, Mazda windshield is 2" wider at top, we had to go lower to 4" chop
(more chop the wider it gets) I hope this makes more sense ?

I'm sure you can make anything work if you're a fabricator (I'm not, my buddy Clynt has all the skills and tools for that)
Like I said before Mazda windshield may not be the best choice, lots to choose from (they all look nice now) ?

As for steering column, Fiero is adjustable, clicks right down on lap, if you're fat then it's going ape

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 02-04-2012).]

pistonbroke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2012 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pistonbrokeSend a Private Message to pistonbrokeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I get your point re the lower the chop the wider the windshield at the top. fortunately I live in a place where we have lots of small jap/european cars. now I need to hang out in car parks with a tape measure and avoid getting arrested. I'll post my results on here!

The lights look good. I presume that you decided to keep the stock line from the front fender to hood in the end. as opposed to your origional idea to alter the fender to meet the diagonal shut line of the cut hood (if that makes sense) what changed your mind?

Oh and mine's a none driver that's why I've not discovered the adjustable column yet

[This message has been edited by pistonbroke (edited 02-04-2012).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2012 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah I get your point re the lower the chop the wider the windshield at the top. fortunately I live in a place where we have lots of small jap/european cars. now I need to hang out in car parks with a tape measure and avoid getting arrested. I'll post my results on here!

The lights look good. I presume that you decided to keep the stock line from the front fender to hood in the end. as opposed to your origional idea to alter the fender to meet the diagonal shut line of the cut hood (if that makes sense) what changed your mind?

Oh and mine's a none driver that's why I've not discovered the adjustable column yet

The original front fender and hood thing, it was so much easier to use stock line

Today playing with body parts...
Cutting that bump off as shown in red line

As Sir Charles would say "kick and swoop" door to fender line
Red line area would be filled in

Profile showing flowing "swoop" door to fender

Very roughed in, overall view

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 02-08-2012).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2012 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow !

This is really taking on a unique twist. Good stuff !
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2012 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
pistonbroke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2012 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pistonbrokeSend a Private Message to pistonbrokeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
love it... Simple tweeks but very effective.

Sir Charles
Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2012 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Outstanding - really enjoy watching it evolve!

Jim
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2012 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
great job just doing a little drawing on it

------------------

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This weekend I finally installed rear glass...

Masked out cutting lines on BUBBLE TOP clip , wheel well cut for more clearance

When I chop top, I move pillars over in to lid edge, a more cleaner design ( gets away from that extra step )...

Ready for cutting

All nice cuts

Chopped rear clip

Mock up of rear pillars moved over to lid edge

Next is roughing it out with 40 grid and fiberglass parts together

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 02-20-2012).]

wee twisted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wee twistedSend a Private Message to wee twistedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you go man...its looking great ..
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI all

Ya know, I was only till just now looking at the pics you posted, and sumthin kept coming back to me, why is he using a stock sized fastback rear end? Then I saw something, That pic of the could be finished look, I saw the roof rising toward the rear end, and then I thought you were going to keep the stock look with the chopped windshield, to tell ya the truth I had a smile ear to ear, though it looks like that customization is still up in the air, if you were thinking about that, there any drawings?

Thanx all,

Ear-ick...
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2012 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking Great!
355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2012 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car-2-Lo;

Looks great.

I suggest you take a dremel tool or hand drill with a drum and grind a shallow channel across the two pieces to be mated together and put your glass in that ridge. It does two things for you, covers the seam nicely without building the outside surface up and provides a good structural strength once you rough and glass the rear side as well to sandwich the pieces between two layers of glass.

Putting the ridge in gives you mare flexibility in how you feather everything out as well without having to add a ton of bondo to fair it in.

Cheers
Don
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2012 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Don for the tip, I was going to do that this time around without 2" (HALIBUT) bondo

I decided not to use stock pillars after all and fabricate pillars somewhat like Mangusta as you suggested earlier .
So much for the Aventador and Gallardo

Also thanks for tip for cold air intake, that's on pause for now (we'll straighten that out later)

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 02-21-2012).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 40 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock