Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  RBS in-Limbo (extreme makeover) (Page 14)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 40 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
RBS in-Limbo (extreme makeover) by Car-Lo
Started on: 09-25-2011 12:29 AM
Replies: 1576 (186086 views)
Last post by: sourmash on 12-30-2020 08:06 PM
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2012 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lookin' good !
IP: Logged
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2012 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-01-2016).]

rodrieguz

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2012 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrieguzSend a Private Message to rodrieguzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never droolled over a build diary as much as this one.
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2012 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rodrieguz:

Never droolled over a build diary as much as this one.

Thank you so much, here's a bit more

Today we started to play with rear wing (but ran out of material) there will be lots of tweaking on this one
trying to fit around everything and still make it look right

A few pics of what's going on, Clynt getting started on rear wings...

First pic below: wings dips are closer

Second pic below: wings dips are further apart

Tail pipes will be moved in-board

I'm still not sure about the overall rear wing look yet we'll have to tweak it more this week.

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 08-16-2012).]

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2012 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Car-Lo:

Now add a set of Corvette rollers and your all set for the ..High driveway , high curb, and or speed bump. It's a cheep mod but the payoff is big the first time you hit ground.

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2012 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

Now add a set of Corvette rollers and your all set for the ..High driveway , high curb, and or speed bump. It's a cheep mod but the payoff is big the first time you hit ground.

Thanks troyboy, I have missed that part of your build RBS2 may not need holy rollers, the front is shorter and stock hight than yours.
Today I'll shoot some side shots and hight measurement.

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 08-13-2012).]

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2012 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE][B]Originally posted by Car-Lo:

Thanks troyboy, I have missed that part of your build RBS2 may not need holly rollers, the front is shorter and stock hight than yours.
Today I'll shoot some side shots and hight measurement.

If you can use the Madcurl Coke can test and I will do the same tommorrow when I'm at Archie's .
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2012 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those wheels and frame are a really good idea i am going to have to steal it
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2012 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

If you can use the Madcurl Coke can test and I will do the same tommorrow when I'm at Archie's .

Great idea, will do !

Originally posted by jetsnvettes2000:

Those wheels and frame are a really good idea i am going to have to steal it

Troyboy needs wheelies on the back too with that supercharged V8

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 08-13-2012).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2012 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car-Lo

623 posts
Member since Jun 2006
Today Antony (nephew) and I turned RBS2 around so we can view front end and work on it better.

Clynt and I decided to move hood 3" forward, so we don't have to extend hood, cutting old hinges off

Welding hinges new location 3" forward (using old hood with headlight openings, so we can see what we're doing)

Then we jumped to finish front wing, cutting material...

Adding cross members on front wing

Jumping back to hood opens nice

It was a long day

satinta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2012 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for satintaSend a Private Message to satintaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can imagine driving by that scene and saying to myself, oh look, there's a Fiero..

WAIT!!!!! WHAT THE HECK IS THAT!!!!!

[This message has been edited by satinta (edited 08-13-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2012 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thing is looking more evil everyday. Keep up the great work.

(But for his sake, you should insist Clynt use eye protection when welding... he'll live to regret not using it.)
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2012 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car-Lo and Clynt:

Just a note to say thanks for taking the time to post all the pictures that you do of the work in progress! It will be an excellent resource for all of us who modify our cars.

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 08-14-2012).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2012 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

This thing is looking more evil everyday. Keep up the great work.

(But for his sake, you should insist Clynt use eye protection when welding... he'll live to regret not using it.)

Thanks Bloozberry for the complement, it's getting there

About Clynt, I'm afraid it's too LATE

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Car-Lo and Clynt:

Just a note to say thanks for taking the time to post all the pictures that you do of the work in progress! It will be an excellent resource for all of us who modify our cars.

Nolan

Thanks Sourmug, when ever RBS2 is finished I'd like to take a round trip to Calgary (see your perfect ride), to Edmonton (see family), to Jasper and back home.

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today Clynt and I started tweaking rear wings again, working around without altering existing exhaust system (that budget thing)
just moving exhaust tips in board, mocking up again...

Tweaking

Wings look like ZZ Top logo

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your tread inspired me to really start my next build.
And after I seen you cut wild I got the guts to do the same.
Chop chop ;0)
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sharkman:

Chop chop ;0)

I agree. If I keep watching this thread, I may do something crazy.
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sharkman:

Chop chop ;0)

WOW, good for you but your old ride is so perfect

Today's playing...

Taped mark to trim deck lid

Trimmed

Taped pieces to cut from hood scrap

Pieces cut, sanded and Pliogrip on

Pliogrip back stop

Then cut out pieces from roof scrap

Pliogrip on pillars

Sanding flush to pillars

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 08-17-2012).]

Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2012 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always get excited when this thread is at the top of the construction zone...it usually means something great happened today! And today is no exception! Keep up the amazing work Car-lo
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2012 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looking excellent Car-Lo.
fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2012 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

oh...sorry was I drooling? Love that tail !!!
PFF
System Bot
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2012 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fourpoint9:

oh...sorry was I drooling? Love that tail !!!

Thanks Stevie Wonder , I'll be doing a Mad Max wedge lip spoiler
We'll have to hook up when ever you zip up here or next year when I cruise down the west coast (to visit Madcurl)

Today I had to go out, so I didn't do much just clean out RBS2

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2012 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SO hey I went to the automotive store today to see if they had that Pilogrip...They do! but.... it cost more than the 3m glue here I grabbed some anyway to compare the two I am curious about the difference! I think ill try it out at work we have lots of scrap stuff i can destroy for fun!

Are the bumper frames you made internal structure? are they going to be covered by formed fiberglass? I was curious they look cool so far!!
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2012 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finishing lower rear wing...

Trimming frame rails (make room for lower wing)

We taped paper on lower wing to visualize ( not to look too goofy )

Lower wing still needs tweaking and after play with upper wing

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2012 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car-Lo

623 posts
Member since Jun 2006

Originally posted by jetsnvettes2000:

SO hey I went to the automotive store today to see if they had that Pilogrip...They do! but.... it cost more than the 3m glue here I grabbed some anyway to compare the two I am curious about the difference! I think ill try it out at work we have lots of scrap stuff i can destroy for fun!

Are the bumper frames you made internal structure? are they going to be covered by formed fiberglass? I was curious they look cool so far!!

It's probably the same stuff

Yes, Clynt's work will be covered foam and fiberglass and it does look cool as is ready for battle

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 08-18-2012).]

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just messing around with it any ideas that you like?

------------------

Love The Excitement! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85SEnochie:

Just messing around with it any ideas that you like?

NO, try again it's to nice and domesticated looking, you have to think Mad Max, evil, sharp angles and all blacked out rear
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was gonna say probably a dark coloured heat shield to cover up the muffler and piping but if you are truely going Mad Max, maybe leaving that exposed is a good idea.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NO, try again it's to nice and domesticated looking, you have to think Mad Max, evil, sharp angles and all blacked out rear

Mad Max version

Had to put some bumper pads on it

------------------

[This message has been edited by 85SEnochie (edited 08-20-2012).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Much better the upper part is still to tame (get rid of those lights) there is going to be mesh between them
EDIT: Just the rear is all blacked out, not the whole body, no bumper pads (remember think EVIL )

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

I was gonna say probably a dark coloured heat shield to cover up the muffler and piping but if you are truely going Mad Max, maybe leaving that exposed is a good idea.

Rear will be raw and exposed (she likes that)

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 08-20-2012).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2012 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tweaking rocker panel design, the old wasn't evil enough...

Sketch overlay...

Playing with rough mock ups

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 08-21-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2012 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just from a technical and fabricating perspective; the work being done is beyond impressive
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2012 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes I'm a bit too literal but thought what the hell why not

from this pic

A better idea maybe?

------------------

[This message has been edited by 85SEnochie (edited 08-22-2012).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2012 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nightonfire:

Just from a technical and fabricating perspective; the work being done is beyond impressive

Thank you so much nightonfire

Today Clynt showed up and finished welding front wing (it was only tacked together )

Bolting wing on, test fitting front brackets he made today (rear brackets made last week)

It's a bummer

Cutting more sheet metal for headlights again

Headlights

We're going with the Mad Max looks for the rocker panel scoops

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2012 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What happened to the RX headlamps? The ones in the pictures look more like fog lamps in that location and you might get pulled over for them being so low, especially if under 24" in CA.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curly has a point, I believe there is a height law here in BC about lights, and I don't know the exact limit off the top of my head. Now the grey area is, the cops don't enforce it, unless you give them a reason to, or they are having a bad day. Case in Point Clynt's side windows, or people with no front plate. So long as the cops love you, its no harm no foul. However get into an accident where ICBC can claim that its your fault because of the lights and you might be in for a world of hurt. (for those that don't know ICBC is our government car insurance)

Now on to the good chat. That is looking mean, and I love it. Kinda reminds me of an early 80's pro ralley car, or some serious exotic race car. With all the body mods, have you thought about building a fiberglass box to house a proper cold air intake for the motor. Would be kinda cool if you could turn one of the scoops into an echo chamber for the supercharger, really scare people when you get into the boost, plus the added benefit of pulling air from outside. IIRC you have a cone filter in the fender now?

GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know what I love about this build mostly? Its done from a garage and driveway. Not a SHOP! This is true inspiration!

Love the look of the car! Keep bringing it.
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

What happened to the RX headlamps? The ones in the pictures look more like fog lamps in that location and you might get pulled over for them being so low, especially if under 24" in CA.

Thanks Madcurl, you're right about that, I can still install RX headlights (making me rethink )
We'll see where this goes a shot with RX lights sit at 20" from floor to bottom lights

Originally posted by GADJet:

You know what I love about this build mostly? Its done from a garage and driveway. Not a SHOP! This is true inspiration!

Love the look of the car! Keep bringing it.

Thank you GADJet,

Just pensioners having fun with their time

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 08-23-2012).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure of the laws in your country, but it might be 18" or more for headlamps. I was digging the RX headlamps from the beginning.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

I'm not sure of the laws in your country, but it might be 18" or more for headlamps. I was digging the RX headlamps from the beginning.

I've found a couple of references for us here in BC (or perhaps it's for all of Canada, but theses were BC specific): 56cm minimum. Which is about 22.5".
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 40 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock