Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  RBS in-Limbo (extreme makeover) (Page 11)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 40 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
RBS in-Limbo (extreme makeover) by Car-Lo
Started on: 09-25-2011 12:29 AM
Replies: 1576 (186054 views)
Last post by: sourmash on 12-30-2020 08:06 PM
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

man that thing is low and sexy !

oooooh man those hips !! You nailed it.

IP: Logged
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car-lo
thanks for the reply
I really apreciate it

I have to tell you, that you do more w/ that long block n drill than must people could dream about.
No reason to laugh at all

Also I think is really nice that you have a friend like Clint, kudos to Clint

What weight of Fiberglass are you using ? 1.5 oz or .75 oz. ?
355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car-2-lo;

Excellent job on the panels. These look way lighter than the old rbs......

The shape is really turning out nicely. This will be a very sleek car when u r done.

Keep going.
Don
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85LAMB:

Car-lo
thanks for the reply
I really apreciate it

I have to tell you, that you do more w/ that long block n drill than must people could dream about.
No reason to laugh at all

Also I think is really nice that you have a friend like Clint, kudos to Clint

What weight of Fiberglass are you using ? 1.5 oz or .75 oz. ?

Mr. 85LAMB, sounds like you have much more info than me, as weight of fiberglass I just say one yard of that one and one yard of the other
( next time I'll get that info on weight of fiberglass ) I'll still try to do step by step build and showing tools.

Yip, everybody's lucky to have Clynt here at WCF Club, maybe we'll send Clynt over to Florida and push you to finish your project ?

Back today's fun...
Started to work on rear pillars, I'm using Fiero roof panel, template on roof panel and ready for cutting

Cut off with grinder cutting wheel

Pillar shown on chopper

Trimmed more off at bottom

That's as far I got today, had a little ouch
I shreded tip of finger with grinder, my niece drove me to emergency (now I can't play guitar )

Tomorrow I'll finish pillars if nothing else happens

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 07-04-2012).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn it John, you are not allowed to hurt yourself. I think its time Lisa buys some more mechanics gloves for the club raffle then rig it so you win them next time you are there. My mechanics gloves have saved my fingers from many many careless accidents, and you have seen how I work, safety be damned.

Got an odd question for you, Lisa and I just finally delivered your spare door glass that you dropped at my place to the locker, and it got me thinking, with your new chop are you going to be able to use your current chopper glass, or do you have to find new ones? If you are going to get new ones, do you want to sell your current ones. Ever since you twisted my arm to think about chopping the 857 I can't get it out of my head. So I am starting to put stuff aside for a "some day" project on it.

P.S. If you do decide to work with the bandage on, a coil of electrical tape around the bandage will keep it on, and if you rip open any stitches or cuts, super glue works amazing at closing it back up so you can get back to work without making parts a bloody mess. You don't want to stain your new work ya know, that fiberglass will absorb the blood and make it hard to paint, LOL.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

satinta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2012 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for satintaSend a Private Message to satintaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, sorry you got hurt. I ripped the flesh off the tip of my thumb once when it got caught between leafs of a rear spring so I know how you feel.

I've become addicted to this thread in recent weeks so heal quickly and I can keep up with my fix every day.

The only thing I have a question about is that space between the rear "bumpers" showing the tire tread. Aren't there mudflap laws in Canada? It seems to me the Police could really give you a hard time about that. Don't get me wrong, it looks awesome. What about a matte black inner wheelwell that goes around the circumference of the tire and also gives an anchor point for all those points on the valance, bumper parts and side skirts for extra strength?

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2012 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by satinta:

The only thing I have a question about is that space between the rear "bumpers" showing the tire tread. Aren't there mudflap laws in Canada? It seems to me the Police could really give you a hard time about that. Don't get me wrong, it looks awesome. What about a matte black inner wheelwell that goes around the circumference of the tire and also gives an anchor point for all those points on the valance, bumper parts and side skirts for extra strength?

Thanks for asking...
Clynt said not to worry, I will be putting back liners just stopping at open area shown on red mark, if there's a problem I'll slide in a panel covering cutout area .
The rocker panels and defuser wing will have custom hidden frame holding everything.

Today's play...
Fastback pillars are from body parts (Fiero roof), not enough lengh, so I had to add pieces and fiberglass together.

Fiberglassing back (to much hot sun)

Front (that's better)

Using aluminum angles bent to shape flowing pillars

Pro-Form to bond aluminum angles to pillars

finished

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2012 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

Damn it John, you are not allowed to hurt yourself. I think its time Lisa buys some more mechanics gloves for the club raffle then rig it so you win them next time you are there. My mechanics gloves have saved my fingers from many many careless accidents, and you have seen how I work, safety be damned.

Got an odd question for you, Lisa and I just finally delivered your spare door glass that you dropped at my place to the locker, and it got me thinking, with your new chop are you going to be able to use your current chopper glass, or do you have to find new ones? If you are going to get new ones, do you want to sell your current ones. Ever since you twisted my arm to think about chopping the 857 I can't get it out of my head. So I am starting to put stuff aside for a "some day" project on it.

P.S. If you do decide to work with the bandage on, a coil of electrical tape around the bandage will keep it on, and if you rip open any stitches or cuts, super glue works amazing at closing it back up so you can get back to work without making parts a bloody mess. You don't want to stain your new work ya know, that fiberglass will absorb the blood and make it hard to paint, LOL.

Thanks for the tip Capt. (ouch), I do have mechanics gloves, it's that texting, never while grinding stitches come out next Friday
The side windows I'll be using for RBS-2 also the spares, we'll see you a next meeting

Back to RBS-2
Today my nephew and I installed fastback pillars

Using Pro-Form, had to screw down at bottom, no room for clamps (screws will be removed)

Other side

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 07-06-2012).]

Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2012 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thing is going to be absolutely stunning - enjoying watching the bar being raised to new heights!

Jim
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2012 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow...just...wow!
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2012 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW !!!!
I LOVE the lines, this is turning out great

I have to say that I definetly don't know anywhere near as much as you...
If I did, it would not take me as long to get stuff done on my project and I would not have to ask you so many questions

more questions
did you keep the mouting points on the top of the rear clip, right behind the grills ?
Or did you just leave them off ?
I am wondering since you move the upper rear pillars further in

ps one of the guys from our club took a pic of my little project,
I hope you don't mind that I "borrow" some of your ideas
http://centralfloridafieros...p?topic=2000.new#new
PFF
System Bot
satinta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2012 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for satintaSend a Private Message to satintaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jim88GT:

This thing is going to be absolutely stunning - enjoying watching the bar being raised to new heights!

Jim

Or new lows as it were!! Great progress!!!

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2012 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, people can officially call off the hit squads that were contracted to take me out for sending John the concept pictures that sparked this whole redux.

This one is going to make the original car look like chopped liver,.............with onions.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 07-07-2012).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2012 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you everyone for the compliments and a special thanks to exoticse for making this happen

The windshield, roof and fastback pillars flow nicer together now

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2012 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little update today...
Clynt and I playing with rear suspension, we had to get a rough alignment done before any more body work, so we can work around the wheels.

The right rear wheel was way off, couldn't get enough camber adjustment with the camber bolt, so we tried stock bolt and it worked.

I was getting pretty fast taking wheel off and on (did that many times today)

Clynt's dog was helping out too

BIG TIME TWEAK...
Yip, it's hood # 3 or # 4 or # 5, I lost count

Notice hood overhang on front

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 07-10-2012).]

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2012 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From the drawing to the real thing it looks pretty close in length I think.

------------------

Love The Excitement! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bit of (an aggressive) TWEAK...
Was not to happy with skinny rear pillars, so I went with fatter pillars

My nephew Antony sanding merging pillars and roof smooth

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 07-12-2012).]

Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it - thicker pillars give it a more aggressive look!

Jim
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jim88GT:

I like it - thicker pillars give it a more aggressive look!

Jim

Thanks Jim, it's slowly getting better

This afternoon Clynt came riding in...

He got right to playing, with new hood (has to be tweaked to fit)

We put back the old hood to mock up (showing overhang))

Remember that old Mazda front nose (I had for many years) well, we might use it

Overall look with Antony in bkgd.

Clynt playing, mocking up front fender

Notice a little hump on top of fender

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looking goooooooood !

Great choice on the nose. looks lambo like without being a clone.
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That thing is looking freaking amazing man.....you've got some mad fabrication and bodywork skills. Peace

Pete
PFF
System Bot
satinta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for satintaSend a Private Message to satintaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice pillars and fender.

Put me down as a no vote on the fast bumper. It needs to be more MadMax IMO similar to the rear bumper area.

On the other hand if you do it up all custom maybe it would come out OK.
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Looking goooooooood !

Great choice on the nose. looks lambo like without being a clone.

Thanks, but now it's to Ferrari-ish looking, that nose was meant for RBS1 with Ferrari style rear bumper ( it's not a clone, just a bad copy)

We'll see what happens with this nose...

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 07-16-2012).]

satinta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for satintaSend a Private Message to satintaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by satinta:

Nice pillars and fender.

Put me down as a no vote on the fast bumper. It needs to be more MadMax IMO similar to the rear bumper area.

On the other hand if you do it up all custom maybe it would come out OK.

Thanks satinta, you're right on it's got to look more MadMax even with some tread showing in the front.

Red marked are opened wheel, I'm thinking tweaking front same as rear

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 07-12-2012).]

355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car-Lo;

Looking beautiful. Will the rear section of the sail panel remain a vent opening into the engine bay area? That shape where the rear section of the sail panel looks like it would really accept an opening well. You can have the side window flat as you have in your drawing and then an opening on the outside of that.

Looking great and keep posting with the updates.

Cheers
Don
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an idea, on the nose, where the 2 outer holes are if you cut the sides out of them (the outside sides) which would expose the front of the tires, it would make it look like the rear with just the two fangs, (center posts) holding the lower air splitter. It might be a bit of a bugger to stiffen it all up, but it would allow you to use the nose and have it look like the rear of the car.

I am sorry I can't explain it that well, hopefully with your wild imagination you can get what I am saying.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Car-Lo:
Remember that old Mazda front nose (I had for many years) well, we might use it

I admire people who are thinking outside the box. Keep up the good work.

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

Ryanstalin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RyanstalinSend a Private Message to RyanstalinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this is one of my favorite threads to watch, the craftwork and skills just go beyond everything I have seen so far. I know you have been working on this a long time. I saved a picture of the sketch. it looks unbelievable. but I dont think Ive seen a motor, or even motor talk. what do we got under this madmax inspired car? however evn tho I dont have much to say, I just wanted to voice my opinion that this is a great looking car. much work is still needed. but I cannot wait to see it completed.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The motor is a rather perfect, 3800 S/C hooked to a Getrag 5spd, IIRC 3.4 inch pulley, custom exhaust and lots of little things. Engine was put together by Blair a forum member here and local forum member. Blair has since moved out of Fiero's but still does maintance to cars he built for people when they need it.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000
There are a few pics of the motor here, http://westcoastfieros.com/...?TID=133&PN=1&TPN=16

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Ryanstalin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RyanstalinSend a Private Message to RyanstalinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it is nice. what more of a proper motor then a gm3800sc? def since that car is already looking like a slick fast paced race car.
CETICARS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CETICARSSend a Private Message to CETICARSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
great job ,what are your plans for side mirrors
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 355Fiero:

Car-Lo;

Looking beautiful. Will the rear section of the sail panel remain a vent opening into the engine bay area? That shape where the rear section of the sail panel looks like it would really accept an opening well. You can have the side window flat as you have in your drawing and then an opening on the outside of that.

Looking great and keep posting with the updates.

Cheers
Don

Thanks Don, you're psychic, that's what I had in mind I'll be doing something like the Aventador scoop at end of sail panel (no clone, we have to say that every time )
Don't forget to drop in when you zip over to mainland.

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 07-13-2012).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car-Lo

623 posts
Member since Jun 2006

Originally posted by madcurl:

I admire people who are thinking outside the box. Keep up the good work.

Thank you so much Madcurl,
with hood overhang we are planing to have lights located something like the Mangusta

Roughly drawn lights in, something to tweak and play with...

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 07-13-2012).]

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2012 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Car-Lo:

Thank you so much Madcurl,
with hood overhang we are planing to have lights located something like the Mangusta

Roughly drawn lights in, something to tweak and play with...

Had to play with that idea what do you think?

------------------

Love The Excitement! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

[This message has been edited by 85SEnochie (edited 07-15-2012).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2012 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CETICARS:

great job ,what are your plans for side mirrors

Thanks, motorcycle mirrors on ebay $29 US, if I use them I'll fabricate mounts (same as RBS1)

Added panel under pillar to make it kook beefy and finished

Playing with scoop mock up

Trimmed old RBS sail panel to fit RBS2

Difference between stock and RBS2 it's half size

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 07-18-2012).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2012 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car-Lo

623 posts
Member since Jun 2006

Originally posted by 85SEnochie:

Had to play with that idea what do you think?

It's to Ferrai-ish, (not that there's anything wrong with it) at least we tried again .

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 07-18-2012).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the scoop...

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 07-20-2012).]

RumbleB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RumbleBSend a Private Message to RumbleBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All I can say is , WOW! Great superior work going on here. Cant wait to see what you do to that rear deck lid!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 40 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock