Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  RBS in-Limbo (extreme makeover) (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 40 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
RBS in-Limbo (extreme makeover) by Car-Lo
Started on: 09-25-2011 12:29 AM
Replies: 1576 (186053 views)
Last post by: sourmash on 12-30-2020 08:06 PM
Car-Lo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Packed my bags, tools and moved RBS (Ram-Bunk-Shush is her name) Build Thread down south here where it's warmer

The last few pics of RBS before being butchered up for an extreme makeover (on a budget) ...

One of the last rides of RBS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhgDgIHSFyk

Stay tuned for the tear down...

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 10-22-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Marked as favorite.

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

ghost187x

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Marked as favorite.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

John glad you finally came over to this side !

We are all dying to see this project as it develops and takes shape.
IIKool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just what are you planing to do jeez.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Marked as favorite.

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
John glad you finally came over to this side !

We are all dying to see this project as it develops and takes shape.

Thanks Tony and everyone for the warm welcome, it's great to be here with the top guns

Before any latest updates I want to catch up on this thread and move some pics over here that Tony
posting on " Choptop Chronicles" , so hang on while I move the same pics in order of the build

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 10-25-2011).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car-Lo

623 posts
Member since Jun 2006
Before any more stripping, next changing the rear suspension...

Out with the old...

The old coilover kit (from WCF Performance) changing to 400lb 7" springs from 300lb 8" springs.
Raised rear bump stop by inverting bump stop plate and painting all parts black with KYBees painted Koni red (well, this is on budget)

It was lucky for me to get the bump steer kit for half price from a not so lucky guy who totaled this ride before installing the kit

Finally the bump steer suspension is in, Fred (my brother-in-law at 84) helping me out installing (PAINTED KYB) Koni red struts

Dog in pic: I'm baby sitting Clarence (my daughter's dog) again

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car-Lo

623 posts
Member since Jun 2006

Originally posted by IIKool:

Just what are you planing to do jeez.

Thanks for asking, the overall look will be more Lambo-ish, 2" more chop from existing 2" choptop
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I've always thought this was a cool car, I need to ask, With as much as your doing, wouldn't it have been easier to start fresh w/ another car rather than cutting this one up???

Joe
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of my favorite cars; I can't wait to see the makeover
PFF
System Bot
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fred's doing a great job of holding the rear end down......
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Wow, I've always thought this was a cool car, I need to ask, With as much as your doing, wouldn't it have been easier to start fresh w/ another car rather than cutting this one up???

Joe

A normal person would have started with a fresh start however I have the whole package with RBS that I can play with, ( without doing another engine swap)
Letsbuildanexotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LetsbuildanexoticSend a Private Message to LetsbuildanexoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do you put a thread in your favorites, I wanna put this one in a place I can get some easy access to. BTW what did you use for door handles?

Chris

[This message has been edited by Letsbuildanexotic (edited 09-26-2011).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Clynt is taking everything apart..

I think Joe is right about starting fresh ?

Nice day for butchering

Looks great as a solid fastback

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 10-24-2011).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car-Lo

623 posts
Member since Jun 2006

Originally posted by Letsbuildanexotic:

How do you put a thread in your favorites, I wanna put this one in a place I can get some easy access to. BTW what did you use for door handles?

Chris

Sorry Chris, that I don't know, I' m new here ?

About the door handles, they are there just covered under scoop door ledge, I think I said that right We need help here !
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-01-2016).]

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chopping the roof another 2 inches? You plan to have a back window or are you investing in some cameras?
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Car-Lo:
I think Joe is right about starting fresh ?

Nice day for butchering

]

Put down the sawzall and step away from the car, this is an intervention. You look like your having way too much fun. LOL I'm one to talk, see how much I cut one up here.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/086876.html

Cheers Beers n Gearz. Joe

ghost187x

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what you are doing is awesome
I have been lurking on wcf forum for a long time watching your build threads.
Overall, keep up the great work! I originally loved the RBS, but I love the new project you are going with. It'll be much better
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Put down the sawzall and step away from the car, this is an intervention. You look like your having way too much fun. LOL I'm one to talk, see how much I cut one up here.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/086876.html

Cheers Beers n Gearz. Joe

WOW, Joe your project makes mine look "Mickey Mouse" next to yours, that's okay we are all having fun at our levels
PFF
System Bot
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ghost187x:

what you are doing is awesome
I have been lurking on wcf forum for a long time watching your build threads.
Overall, keep up the great work! I originally loved the RBS, but I love the new project you are going with. It'll be much better

Thank you so much, the original RBS was okay, I wanted something more exotic looking with sharper hard lines, so I stopped going that direction.

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car-Lo

623 posts
Member since Jun 2006
This got to be the hardest and don't want to do this ever again
Taking off front a-arms, grinding, torching, I was grinding headbolt the grinder kick up into coolant tube and sprung a leak !

Clynt torching a-arm off

Finally all a-arms are off

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car-Lo

623 posts
Member since Jun 2006
Yes I know hang in there, it won't be long for good fun stuff !

Sand blasting suspension parts Blair gave me

Parts painted for $18 (this is a BUDGET build)

Dickman's 1" drop ball joint, it's welded on the bottom side.

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car-Lo

623 posts
Member since Jun 2006
Okay, a little tease (things to come) 4" chop...

bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your's is one of my favorite cars. Every year at the Arlington picnic I have to look and see what you have changed. Keep on going. Great work.
Jim

[This message has been edited by bowrapennocks (edited 09-26-2011).]

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bowrapennocks:

Your's is one of my favorite cars. Every year at the Arlington picnic I have to look and see what you have changed. Keep on going. Gtreat work.
Jim

Thank you my good neighbor, plans are to be there 2012
bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the design features in your car that I really like is the way you continued the curve from the side scoops up to the sail panels. It flows so well. Oh by the way I started a 4.9/F40 6sp swap in my Fiero.
Jim
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bowrapennocks:

One of the design features in your car that I really like is the way you continued the curve from the side scoops up to the sail panels. It flows so well. Oh by the way I started a 4.9/F40 6sp swap in my Fiero.
Jim

WOW, I really love to see your project

That design might change, we'll see how everything fits with the smaller sail panels
Letsbuildanexotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LetsbuildanexoticSend a Private Message to LetsbuildanexoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Infinitewill, been on this forum for a bit, never knew how to do that.

Originally posted by Car-Lo:

WOW, I really love to see your project

That design might change, we'll see how everything fits with the smaller sail panels

Hope you don't mind, I like your design so much I wanted to steal some idea's for my chop top, the quarter windows being one of them, from the scoop, down the bottom door sil, up the door and around the window, back to the quarter, it all flows and makes a cool shape that is continuous, only to be broken up by the widebody on the on the top half of the door. But your mind sort of fills in the blanks, I like it. The other que I like is how you extended the tail light corners to make it flow more with the rest of the car and made them more angular on the sides.

I thought about somehow making a scoop on the hip part pointing down, don't know how it would be done yet, like the Gallardo:

You see that small scoop on the sides, well on the top of the hips. Works for that car atleast.

Well, this is a ways away, still have about 14 miles of wire to contend with from the engine harness, since it's my first wire harness I had ever done it's taking a bit longer than if I knew what I was doing LOL.

Keep up the good work, I'm excited to see what's next.

Chris

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2011 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Inside joke !

Looks more like Joe's project, but that's where we stopped

I don't know where all this stuff came from

RBS bone yard...

Cutting off lots of fat, it's pretty thick and heavy, looks like a slab of Halibut

Removed 20lbs of fat from rear clip...

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 09-28-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2011 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL, it's amazing what you can do to a Fiero w/ a sawzall.

Joe
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Letsbuildanexotic:

Thanks Infinitewill, been on this forum for a bit, never knew how to do that.

Hope you don't mind, I like your design so much I wanted to steal some idea's for my chop top, the quarter windows being one of them, from the scoop, down the bottom door sil, up the door and around the window, back to the quarter, it all flows and makes a cool shape that is continuous, only to be broken up by the widebody on the on the top half of the door. But your mind sort of fills in the blanks, I like it. The other que I like is how you extended the tail light corners to make it flow more with the rest of the car and made them more angular on the sides.

I thought about somehow making a scoop on the hip part pointing down, don't know how it would be done yet, like the Gallardo:

You see that small scoop on the sides, well on the top of the hips. Works for that car atleast.

Well, this is a ways away, still have about 14 miles of wire to contend with from the engine harness, since it's my first wire harness I had ever done it's taking a bit longer than if I knew what I was doing LOL.

Keep up the good work, I'm excited to see what's next.

Chris

Thanks for sharing Chris, the extended rap around corners on tail light panel, I used sheet metal cut to shape and rivet on back of panel, fibreglass it, drill out rivets and bondo for the finish.
There are many ways to do that I'm sure from PFF pro guys.

What I'll be doing is a MISH MASH of lambos, Gallardo, Aventador and a touch Ferrari

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2011 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car-Lo

623 posts
Member since Jun 2006

To get that exotic lambo flavor, we lowered the front 2" and back 2", Clynt tack welding front back together ...

Cutting and bending sides down to meet 2" drop...

Difference between stock and new lower nose and hood

Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2011 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car-Lo

623 posts
Member since Jun 2006
Lambo hinges...

Clynt welding doors shut

Clynt tack welding

Blair did the deep welding (he also did my 3800SC for RBS)

We have lift off, RBS has wings

They work got them painted, lubed and ready for final install

Installing

Thank you to my Dream Team...
Clynt, Blair and Archie for the great lambo video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmfwG0CbfT0

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice. That is is best because the system includes one single arm. That prevents the top or bottom of the door kicking out with the window is rolled up and down.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2011 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, first I was elated to see your thread posted here on PFF. Then I was horrified to see one of my all time favorite (if not the all time favorite) Fieros getting torn apart. Then more horror followed when the Saws-all went to action. I'm anxiously awaiting the resurrection! Please keep us posted!

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 09-28-2011).]

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2011 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Subscribed to this thread. I am anxious to see where this ends. I really liked the look of version 1, and sure I will like it even better once complete (if there is such a thing as complete)
Car-Lo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2011 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car-LoSend a Private Message to Car-LoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

Well, first I was elated to see your thread posted here on PFF. Then I was horrified to see one of my all time favorite (if not the all time favorite) Fieros getting torn apart. Then more horror followed when the Saws-all went to action. I'm anxiously awaiting the resurrection! Please keep us posted!

Thank you so much and don't be to horrified, it may look scary
The old RBS proportions ended up looking wrong to me. I used the reverse chop for the flowing window line about 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" to rear hips.
I decided to actually do 2" more chop and bring the same flowing window line right down, also using extended windshield for that overall exotic look.

85SEnochie (Terry) did the photoshop showing RBS in nice glossy black.

BEFORE: Actual old RBS in glossy black...

AFTER: Photoshop with the changes... shorter sloping nose, 2" more chop, extended windshield and suspension dropped about 1"

[This message has been edited by Car-Lo (edited 09-29-2011).]

jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2011 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the original chop looked good

------------------
Car Threads
86 Fiero 2M4 Silver //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/115701.html
and 86 GT
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/085541.html

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 40 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock