Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  newest project (Page 71)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 78 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
newest project by bubbajoexxx
Started on: 09-12-2003 06:18 PM
Replies: 3111 (374102 views)
Last post by: Trinten on 04-23-2023 11:02 PM
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2011 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hope you don't get too proficient with r/r!
IP: Logged
VF1Skullangel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2011 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VF1SkullangelClick Here to visit VF1Skullangel's HomePageSend a Private Message to VF1SkullangelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the build thread. I could sit here all day and read it.

With the Firebird dash I think you should go with firebird door cars to contour all the lines and go back over it with the same color sceme.. Otherwise this build is amazing!
Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys.
Yes I will add the Firebird door panels to my list of future mods for when I'm getting bored of not having major things to do like re/re of transmissions

I decided to paint the transaxle MSD red for 3 reasons:

1) The aluminum paint didn't match the silver powder coating
2) I had received some feedback for being overly conservative on the colour theme
3) I wanted to have something visual to show for my effort of re/re (the main reason)

Here are the pictures of the progress:

Rear bumper not reinstalled yet and final linkage adjustments still needed but I have 5 forward gears now

BTW Cliff's new version of PIP here:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087378.html
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice contrast. Too bad white in the engine compartment is hard to keep clean, keep the Indy heritage. but then again...
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jeez, I don't check this thread for a short while and I come back and the transmission has been removed and reinstalled! That was quick. Glad to hear its coming back together again, its looking better than ever!

Looks so slick out in the sun!
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, ask you shall receive as I have some more sun pics...

Although,I also like the shady side (looks almost black)

------------------

Indy Northstar-Stretch

[This message has been edited by Fiero2m8 (edited 10-31-2011).]

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have followed this thread for years .and the one thing i can say is that this is the most extremely modified car that is still easily recognized as a pontiac and then as a fiero .the lineage is obvious and intact .great job , bubbajoe and 2M8 .
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

i have followed this thread for years .and the one thing i can say is that this is the most extremely modified car that is still easily recognized as a pontiac and then as a fiero .the lineage is obvious and intact .great job , bubbajoe and 2M8 .

Definitely... and yet it still looks like nothing else on the road. Really is a one of a kind.
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

I couldn't agree more and am glad you posted this comment.
It was one of the main things that attracted me to the project as Bubbajoe envolved the shape.
With forum members input and his skill, the GM heritage in style was retained and upgrades/updates were generally from the newer GM offerings.

Usually I say nothing when a non Fiero car enthusiast approaches it to allow them to start thinking aloud
They usually give a tenative guess of "I remember these, Pontiac right?"
They recognize the rear hatch glass as Firebird then realize Fiero when they see an engine where they expect rear seats.
Then the usual how did you get a V8 in there question shows that the body lines are clean enough not to scream kit car or body kit.
The stretch in wheelbase and rear track is something I disclose before the headscratching goes too far.
This is our version of the Indy.
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero2m8

1928 posts
Member since Feb 2006

Originally posted by doublec4:
Definitely... and yet it still looks like nothing else on the road. Really is a one of a kind.

Yes, that is what I will enjoy most bringing it to cruises next season.
It is a project I will have a long time mainly due to the hands-on time invested.

I used to describe it as "unique" until I saw the TV show Unique Whips were EVERY project got JL audio speakers and Pirelli tires, lol.
Now I say it is my "exotic car" as exotic means "strikingly, excitingly, or mysteriously different or unusual".
I guess naysayers would cite "poor man's exotic" which would also be accurate compared to supercar prices or by the point of view that it makes me poor
Either way, if they ask where they can get one, I can tell them to build their own as it's one of a kind.
If I ever did sell, I'd talk to Bubbajoe first about a worthy new owner although I'd be asking more for the newest project than the $2000 I paid

Cheers,
Fiero2m8
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Hope you don't get too proficient with r/r!

Either you jinxed me or I'm just crazy but decided on further drivetrain mods to keep me busy this winter...so out comes the transaxle again

PFF
System Bot
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero2m8

1928 posts
Member since Feb 2006
Found my stash of headlight motors but these need rebuild...

------------------

Indy Northstar-Stretch

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 06:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero2m8:

Either you jinxed me or I'm just crazy but decided on further drivetrain mods to keep me busy this winter...so out comes the transaxle again

I'll take half the blame, the other half is all you!
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dual disk?
ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey fiero2m8,
those are some great pics you have of the exterior - what a project!

i am going to try talking you into stepping back from the car a ways next time, and using a longer lens. this could help reduce the wideangle distortion in the pics to give us a better idea of the actual lines. will also help blur the background.
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ricreatr:

hey fiero2m8,
those are some great pics you have of the exterior - what a project!

i am going to try talking you into stepping back from the car a ways next time, and using a longer lens. this could help reduce the wideangle distortion in the pics to give us a better idea of the actual lines. will also help blur the background.

Great tip, upon further inspection yes most HQ pictures were taken with 18mm wide angle lens.

Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero2m8

1928 posts
Member since Feb 2006

Originally posted by Will:

Dual disk?

Not quite - I am going with a larger clutch 9" vs. 8" and a stronger pressure plate.
Need to custom machine another flywheel for the mod.

Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2011 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yesterday, I worked on my custom trunk compartment.
First I needed to enclose the front area to keep the wind out and the headlight doors down

I am using heavy guage galvanized sheet metal that is easy to form and won't rust:

Now I am ready to finsh the "trunk" with indoor/outdoor carpet:

Started carpet install in the lower bin cutting 3 pieces and using 3M spray adhesive:

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2011 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
gonna look good
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2011 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bubbajoexxx

1630 posts
Member since Aug 2003
post some pics of the new pieces you will be installing
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2011 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yesterday, I worked on my custom trunk compartment.
First I needed to enclose the front area to keep the wind out and the headlight doors down

I am using heavy guage galvanized sheet metal that is easy to form and won't rust:

Now I am ready to finsh the "trunk" with indoor/outdoor carpet:

Started carpet install in the lower bin cutting 3 pieces and using 3M spray adhesive:

I have a custom front swaybar with a drop-down in the center. This would allow you to get rid of the big angled pop-up (which I @$$ume is there because of the sway-bar). You can have it if you pay shipping. It's the stock diameter, but because of the drop down, it's not as stiff as stock. That's fine for a high performance Fiero, especially with the capacity to adjust the front spring rate.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2011 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
I have a custom front swaybar with a drop-down in the center. This would allow you to get rid of the big angled pop-up (which I @$$ume is there because of the sway-bar). You can have it if you pay shipping. It's the stock diameter, but because of the drop down, it's not as stiff as stock. That's fine for a high performance Fiero, especially with the capacity to adjust the front spring rate.

Hi Will,
The pop up is there because I moved the vacuum pump and tank from inside the trunk to between the steering rack and sway bar.
From this:

To this:

A dropped sway bar won't help but thanks for the offer.

Yes Bubba will take some pics of the new parts...
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2011 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little more progress on the front carpet

For the compound curves, best to make a paper template first

I'm not sure if a spacesaver would still fit but I'd need one with the right bolt pattern

Just the sides left to do with the centre section pretty much done
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2011 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picked up my Fiero Store order of some small items I needed (mostly interior door components)
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bubbajoexxx:
post some pics of the new pieces you will be installing

On the left is the 215mm clutch and 1805 lb pressure plate

On the right is the 225mm clutch and 2200 lb pressure plate

I did notice the assemblies are not the same depth.
Currently the delta is 76thou larger gap on the new flywheel when I measure depth from the pressure plate mounting surface to the clutch contact point on the flywheels)

Currently trying to work out all the differences between the two flywheels to give accurate machining directions
The front face of the ring gear is different depth in relation to clutch mating surface that will need to be factored in.
Even though the new ring teeth are not as wide it's won't matter as the starter pinion fully extended didn't use the full 1/2" width on the old flywheel.
A big bonus is the new flywheel has a replaceable ring gear which is in good shape versus the old one.
In case you're wondering the OD of the flywheels are identical but the ID is larger to accomodate the bigger clutch.
When I'm done the depth will compensate for the adapter plate that locates the transaxle housing 1/2" from the crank face
The rest of the mods like drilling the 8 mounting holes and making a depth adapter can be transferred from the old flywheel design (assuming it was already in the best location).
Would like to fbuy a new pilot bearing, and get the finished flywheel neutral balanced as well.
Going to see the machinist on Friday to finalize the plan...

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2011 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
let me look in my tool box I just may have a new one in there
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finished up what I was doing with the carpeting so I can move on to other things:

I worked on my LED swap for the tailights.
These are 1157 bulbs from Princess Auto I used a gift card to pickup (2 orange and 8 Red plus a spare)

Don't buy them unless you are prepared to modify the sockets to fit.
It just required a little shaving of the plastic with a utility knife to clear the plastic housing lip.

Looks good and will be easier on my sequential light system.

Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero2m8

1928 posts
Member since Feb 2006
I also got around to upgrading the rest of the rubber coolant hoses to chrome:

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2011 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NICE
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2011 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jelly you have done an amazing job! Well done man!
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2011 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Very nice car! From that angle it looks to me a little like the late 70s Mazda RX7s.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys for the positive comments.

Today I worked on reinstalling the sequential light system.

The contoller hides behind the subwoofer:

The cable is hidden behind the firewall and in wiring loom near the rear wheelwell:

[This message has been edited by Fiero2m8 (edited 08-21-2012).]

Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero2m8

1928 posts
Member since Feb 2006
Recently I was able to purchase more extra parts from Bubbajoe for the newest project.

One of the best items was a spare transaxle with starter:

I'm planning to install it and see how well it works compared with my rebuilt unit:

First I'm going to beautify the housing, so I prepared it for cleaning:
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 05:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What transmission is that? Nice car!
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2012 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not much to report as the flywheel project is on hold while I was in Vegas this week.
Two machinists haven't been able to do what I want and a third wants to build one from scratch for $1,500
The main issue seems to be that the input shaft bearing won't reach the shaft as the flywheel is 1/2" further away due due the larger pressure plate.

Before I left, I waterproofed the roof with new gasketed washer bolts that holds the roof panel to the spaceframe:

I never noticed before but the A-pillar molding clips are two on the drivers side and one one the passenger side as no hole has even been drilled:

Also put another coat of spray glue on my new headliner in preparation for installation:

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2012 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
get the machinist who did the first one to make the new one he is here in TO canex machine shop
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hmm...thought those were only rated for about 140 ft/lbs...how's that holding up to the v8 torque? (if it hasn't be asked)
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

get the machinist who did the first one to make the new one he is here in TO canex machine shop

Thanks Joe, I was thinking the same thing.
I'll pick up the flywheels and pressure plates this week and bring them to Toronto.

Ryan
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if i look i think i still have the longer impt shaft there are 2 types one long one short and i amposative i have both types
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 78 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock