Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  newest project (Page 9)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 78 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
newest project by bubbajoexxx
Started on: 09-12-2003 06:18 PM
Replies: 3111 (374039 views)
Last post by: Trinten on 04-23-2023 11:02 PM
bubbajoexxx

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Installation

Start buy undoing the brake hose be sure to pinch it off with Vise Grips
to keep from letting all the fuid from running out into your work area

remove the rotor and then remove the old caliper bracket using a 19mm socket and rachet and remove the backing plate

the area I'm pointing to must be smoothed and leveled using a grinder or heavy file. This is to make a surface for the adapter
to bolt to and drill out the old holes to 12mm (17/32) as the old threads are no longer used

This is a comparison of the two setups the stock on the bottom and the Vette on top
the rotors are 88 and the calipers and brakets are 84 to 87

part1

IP: Logged
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bubbajoexxx

1630 posts
Member since Aug 2003

This is how the finished spindle should look after drilling and leveling out and a little cleaning

install the cut hub and new rotor then bolt the adaptor to the brake bracket as seen above using 12mmX1.75 cap screws

with the adapter and bracket together slip the pieces over the rotor in the fashion
displayed in the above 3 pic and the rotate it into the bolting position

partn 3

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 03-19-2004).]

smokinjoefission

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smokinjoefissionClick Here to visit smokinjoefission's HomePageSend a Private Message to smokinjoefissionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bubba, that is awesome! A + for you, more if I could.

Two questions: The 'vette rotors: do they come with the same bolt pattern as the Fiero, or do those need to be drilled? I see that they seem to have an extra set of 5 holes in the rotor.

Other than cutting off the Fiero rotor itself, does it need to be machined like other brake conversions?

Thanks for taking the time to share this brake upgrade!

------------------

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

and bolt it up with the same 12mmX1.75 cap screws then install the pads as you normaly would

Now bleed the front brakes install the wheel and your done
note the clearance on the 16" inch wheels
DONE

The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about the lower shock mount... i remember reading that the PBR caliper will have clearence problems with the shock under full turn of the wheel
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
smokinjoefission

once you cut off the old rotor knock out the studs put on the consentric ring onto the rotor then place it into the vette rotor and drill the new bolt patern between
the original holes easy to do

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bubbajoexxx

1630 posts
Member since Aug 2003
The Aura
this is an Australian Girlling caliper not PBR used on the Corvette

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 03-19-2004).]

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bubbajoexxx:

if you update the master use the 72 to 80 Vette master plenty of volume and it is made for 4 wheel disk dont use the s10 you are gaining nothing as it is the same bore as a Fiero and is for drum rear disk front not a good combo

I have a question about the master cylinder years. I found a couple on ebay 72-80 is the older style cast units. Is this the one you are talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2467930659&category=33566

Or something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2468178509&category=33566

OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bubbajoexxx, was there a reason you went with the stock Fiero bolt pattern, since you went this far why not stick with the Vett bolt pattern for a wider veriety of rim choices?
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
set themup like this to show everone how it is done Have new hubs comming with the 5X43/4 bolt circle for the project
DotTC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OH10fiero:

Bubbajoexxx, was there a reason you went with the stock Fiero bolt pattern, since you went this far why not stick with the Vett bolt pattern for a wider veriety of rim choices?

There are lots of variety in rims in 5x100..

------------------
"As we live on, we lose a little bit more. Shrouded in falsehoods and lies, we stand frozen to the spot, unable to cry out" - Deep Forest

PFF
System Bot
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2004 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
part numbers for the rotors
Front 55011
rear 55012
88 corvette
calipers 84 to 87 C4 corvettte
Girlling calipers

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 03-20-2004).]

OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still not clear on how the consentric ring comes into play here, do you have a picture as to how you are useing it?
fierohobby

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohobbySend a Private Message to fierohobbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OH10 -

Take a closer look at the 3 pix showing the installation of the Vette caliper bracket. The ring is there, between the Fiero hub and the Vette rotor. Apparently acts as a "spacer".

fh

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post03-22-2004 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The concentric ring is what goes into the center hole of the rotor and make up the space to keep the wheel from running in a out of round pattern.
Mighty Mouse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2004 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mighty MouseSend a Private Message to Mighty MouseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bubbajoe,

Great pictures of the install. I do have 3 questions for you.

1) Do you have any pics of the rear? Or is this just a front brake upgrade? I saw you mentioned the rear a couple of times.

2) What is the ID on the rims you are using?

3) What's going on with the N* install? More pics of that too please

Thanks,
Troy

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2004 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

if you look close you will see the consentric ring between the rotor and the hub without it you can not center the rotor
rim inside diamiter is 15 11/16 " then tapers down to 15 at the face
working on the rear just waiting for the caliper brackets to come in it will only require a bracket simmilar to the front to attach the caliper and a bracket bolted to the stut attaching bolts for the mecanical ebrake caliper everthing is linning up great will be easy to do once I get the rest of the parts
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2004 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bubbajoe - Awesome brake mod. I love it, and hope I can do it when I take care of my engine and get money again. I am very curious, though, about the braking performance. Have you taken it out on the road and put the brake through thier paces? I've read many times here on the forum that the stock Fiero MC isn't strong enough to push bigger rotors effectivly and can cause serious braking problems when you do swaps of this kind. What are your impressions so far?
jayguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jayguyClick Here to visit jayguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to jayguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bubbajoe, once you get the rear brackets working, any thoughts on selling at least the brackets and adapters (rings, relocation blocks, rear brackets) as a kit? I'm sure I could find a place to have the ring and brackets made with what you've already shown us, but I'm too lazy to look.

Thanks for putting out all this great information, I think this is the way I'm going for my brake upgrade.

Jay

'87 Fiero SE V6 5sp
'94 Ducati M900
'01 Toyota S-Runner

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2004 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
for those who want to see the corvair hubs installed on the fiero spindles us this link
http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/switch/67/id215.htm
this will alow you to use large wheel bearings to teplace the tiny ones on the fiero and to use the 5 X 4 3/4 bolt circle

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 03-26-2004).]

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2004 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you planning on selling any of these parts? I have no Idea if I would be able to get them made locally. Could you post a part number for the master cylinder you recommend? Thanks again for the great info.
PFF
System Bot
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2004 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
67 to 80 vette thats it they only use the one
OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2004 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any progress on the rear breaks yet?
oh and.................bump!
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2004 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BREAKS!!! I wanna hear the MOTOR!

OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2004 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfixit58:

BREAKS!!! I wanna hear the MOTOR!

Go to a Caddy dealership and have them start one for you he he, sorry Roy could not resist.

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2004 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Go to a Caddy dealership and have them start one for you he he, sorry Roy could not resist.

Bubba's N* ain't yo daddy's Caddy.

I'm betting it sounds like a Ferrari.

Come one Bubba... give us a sample!

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

done pics comming tonight Joe

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bubbajoexxx

1630 posts
Member since Aug 2003
and here they are

here is the simple bracket needed to install the caliper. If you use the 88 to 96 rear caliper it has the Ebrake on it and will save you time and money so you wont have to buy the manual ebrake caliper that I did

This is the extra bracket needed if you use the 84 to 87 caliper
This bracket is not needed with these calipers

this is the 2 brackets used with the 84 to 87 caliper the 88 to 96 dose not require the rear caliper bracket

this is all you install for the 88 up caliper

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 04-05-2004).]

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bubbajoexxx

1630 posts
Member since Aug 2003

this is the hurst airheart caliper Im using for my ebarke as I didnot have the 88 to 96 calipers so I used my 84 to 87 calipers alot more work this way but i will upgrade to the 88 later

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 04-05-2004).]

CaddyRob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaddyRobClick Here to visit CaddyRob's HomePageSend a Private Message to CaddyRobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks nice! now back to the Awe inspiring engine swap! I wanna see that Northstar all installed and working!

PFF
System Bot
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if weather holds out in the next few days it will be in the car

------------------

OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Bubbajoexxx, anyway you can post the CADD drawing of that bracket?
Hey Roy, I knew we would all get a look at the break set up first , having said that, now I am ready for that sound clip of a carbed N*
Bet it sounds sweet. Love to see the look on the first person that spent more than $40.000.00 thinking they bought a sports car off a dealer lot, only to get smoked by Bubbjoesxxx wild looking ride. That would be worth paying money to see.
bamman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2004 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bammanSend a Private Message to bammanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you bubbajoe for posting the brake up-grade here. I saw it first on your site but found out more info from the questions that were asked here. It was your site that help me put in the 4.5 and so on. Lots of people keep this info to them selfs but you take time to post it twice, here and on your site. Thanks.
I
shop_rat45

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2004 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shop_rat45Send a Private Message to shop_rat45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

part numbers for the rotors
Front 55011
rear 55012
88 corvette
calipers 84 to 87 C4 corvettte
Girlling calipers

Just a few more questions:
What exactly is a Girlling Caliper? I've never heard of a Girlling. Do you have measurements for the rear brackets??

Thanks Bubbajoe + for you!!

Kris

------------------

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2004 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Girlling is an english company that has made disk brakes longer than any other company and because the vette brakes are made in austrailia thats what Gm used on the 84 to 96 vettes till they changed over to PBR

------------------

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2004 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bubbajoexxx

1630 posts
Member since Aug 2003
shop_rat45 will draw them out tomorrow the rear diagrams for the adapter

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 04-09-2004).]

shop_rat45

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2004 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shop_rat45Send a Private Message to shop_rat45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

shop_rat45 will draw them out tomorrow the rear diagrams for the adapter

Thanks

OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates yet?
crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Joe! Great work! Do you have the cad drawings for the rears yet? I'd like to send this to the local machine shop asap

Thanks alot Joe!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 78 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock