Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  newest project (Page 67)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 78 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
newest project by bubbajoexxx
Started on: 09-12-2003 06:18 PM
Replies: 3111 (374039 views)
Last post by: Trinten on 04-23-2023 11:02 PM
Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Benja:

Unbelievable. Just spent almost the whole day going through this thread. My body hurts just from reading all this, I can only imagine the pain of building it. How many years? Hours? Dollars? Amazing, my hat is off to you both, along with my shirt, shorts and rhinestone studded thong.

Ben

Thanks Ben,

newest project by bubbajoexxx Started on : 09-12-2003 06:18 PM
Replies : 2639 (279174 views)
Last post by : Fiero2m8 on 04-19-2011 02:21 AM

I remember reading the whole thread as well and can relate.
We don't keep track of hours because it's a hobby, but please don't remind me about the dollars

Update, the intakes have been resealed to eliminate vacuum leak:

IP: Logged
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:
I've wondered about the coolant tube crossing the engine bay. It's a bit distracting. What about running it along the side and rear and painting it black?

Thanks to donation from Bubbajoe, this mod request is now officially on the list

BtotheB

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is looking really good. You'll have to post on here what shows you're attending this year, I'd really like to check this out in person when it's complete.

Brad
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BtotheB:

This is looking really good. You'll have to post on here what shows you're attending this year, I'd really like to check this out in person when it's complete.

Brad

Thanks Brad, will do.

BTW, Table of Contents on page 55 is updated to end of page 66.
Mystik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MystikSend a Private Message to MystikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is actually the first time I'm seeing this build... I'm fairly new to the forums but I'm loving this build.

I'm also in ontario so 2m8, let us know when you're going to be showing up to events so we can plan to come check out this beast, when you're ready.

Awesome car.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero2m8:

BTW, Table of Contents on page 55 is updated to end of page 66.

Any chance you could get Bubbajoe to add the table of contents to the first post on page 1... I sometimes forget which page it is on and have to go searching for it.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks to donation from Bubbajoe, this mod request is now officially on the list

bubbajoexxx

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Any chance you could get Bubbajoe to add the table of contents to the first post on page 1... I sometimes forget which page it is on and have to go searching for it.

DONE
Benja

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BenjaSend a Private Message to BenjaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bubbajoexxx:

DONE

Awesome! Thanks!
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Couple questions for Bubbajoe:

1. What do these wires connect to? (comes out of frame and then splits to red plug and red wire - can't remember if I cut it or it dead ended in the wire loom)

2. Where can I buy a replacement linkage? (it was seized and it broke when I tried to adjust it shorter...looks like something from a hobby shop)

Working on carb tuning, fixed a small fuel leak on the return line.
I have vacuum at the PCV valve now pulling evenly from the 8 ports - if I measure and adjust it, any ideas how much vacuum the pcv needs at idle?
Also I started balancing idle airflow on the 8 barrels using the unisync guage.
7 of 8 are close and just need balancing between barrels per carb, but cylinder #8 the airflow is high and bouncing up and down.
Cylinder 7 is steady and a little low so I can't fix it with the idle speed screw for 7 and 8.
Also they are outside the adjustment range of the air bypass balancing screws on 7 and 8.
Going to check the fuel pressure as I suspect it's at 4psi and that is the first carb after the regulator.
Dellorto book says it should be 3 psi and anything over 3-1/2 will cause spillover - hopefully it's that easy.
If not that, I'll be checking for partially plugged idle jet circuit, vacuum leaks, spark plug condition etc.
Once the idle speed is done, I'll be adjusting mixture on each barrel to find the sweet spot between lean snaps and rich smoke.
I already adjusted from 3 turns out for initial startup to 1-1/2 turns out (leaner).

For dialing in the initial timing and 3000-8000rpm not sure how I'm going to baseline tune that without a dyno.
Book suggests 12 inital and 24 degrees progressive as baseline settings for a SBC while I was running 0-4 initial and 18-22 previously on the Northstar.
Obviously I don't want hard starting or detonation, but enough advance to get the best horsepower - any suggestions will be helpful.

Mostly I'm thinking out loud here and more reading and tinkering will help keep things going in the right direction.
I realize that most Fiero owner don't have to tune 8 cylinders individually but hey if you were at the 25th, you can vouch that the exhaust note is uniquely worth it
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Couple questions for Bubbajoe:

1. What do these wires connect to? (comes out of frame and then splits to red plug and red wire - can't remember if I cut it or it dead ended in the wire loom) [not used for cruze control]

2. Where can I buy a replacement linkage? (it was seized and it broke when I tried to adjust it shorter...looks like something from a hobby shop) no they are throttle hem joints may have 2 left here

Working on carb tuning, fixed a small fuel leak on the return line.
I have vacuum at the PCV valve now pulling evenly from the 8 ports - if I measure and adjust it, any ideas how much vacuum the pcv needs at idle? [12 to 18 inches]
Also I started balancing idle airflow on the 8 barrels using the unisync guage.
7 of 8 are close and just need balancing between barrels per carb, but cylinder #8 the airflow is high and bouncing up and down. [check the air bleed may be pluged with paint ]
Cylinder 7 is steady and a little low so I can't fix it with the idle speed screw for 7 and 8.
Also they are outside the adjustment range of the air bypass balancing screws on 7 and 8.[check srew by removing it and make sure the bleed hole is not pluged]
Going to check the fuel pressure as I suspect it's at 4psi and that is the first carb after the regulator.
Dellorto book says it should be 3 psi and anything over 3-1/2 will cause spillover - hopefully it's that easy.
If not that, I'll be checking for partially plugged idle jet circuit, vacuum leaks, spark plug condition etc.
Once the idle speed is done, I'll be adjusting mixture on each barrel to find the sweet spot between lean snaps and rich smoke.
I already adjusted from 3 turns out for initial startup to 1-1/2 turns out (leaner).

For dialing in the initial timing and 3000-8000rpm not sure how I'm going to baseline tune that without a dyno.
Book suggests 12 inital and 24 degrees progressive as baseline settings for a SBC while I was running 0-4 initial and 18-22 previously on the Northstar.10 and 28 for nstar max power total 38 degrees at 7 thou
Obviously I don't want hard starting or detonation, but enough advance to get the best horsepower - any suggestions will be helpful.

Mostly I'm thinking out loud here and more reading and tinkering will help keep things going in the right direction.
I realize that most Fiero owner don't have to tune 8 cylinders individually but hey if you were at the 25th, you can vouch that the exhaust note is uniquely worth it

PFF
System Bot
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More questions, inquiring minds want to know...

Plug and red wire goes to alternator - other two go to A/C compressor?

Coolant fans and guage are working currently - does polarity of these wires matter?

Is this plug also cruise control related or is it for something else (i.e. lighting) or not used?

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is this plug also cruise control related or is it for something else (i.e. lighting) or not used?

I could be wrong... but I think that plug was for the original electric trunk popper, and the trunk light. Don't think it was for anything else, unless thats a different plug?
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

More questions, inquiring minds want to know...

Plug and red wire goes to alternator - other two go to A/C compressor? [ac]

Coolant fans and guage are working currently - does polarity of these wires matter?[yes ] one is light other is gauge

Is this plug also cruise control related or is it for something else (i.e. lighting) or not used? [cruze ]

Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2011 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a video of the carb idle air balance issue on cylinder #8:

Since the problem couldn't be corrected with the air balance bypass screws, I removed the carb to bench reset the butterfly valves.
I removed, cleaned and the swapped their bores:

Then I used the 0.003" feeler guage to set the gap on the tighter barrel, then slowly bent the throttle shaft until both sides fit the guage like a glove.
Now I should be almost perfectly balanced and any final adjustment can be done with the air bypass balance screws:

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2011 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

offset is moved out 1/8 of an inch for the corvette rotors and calipers but you can remove 1/8 from the bearing stop to retian stock offset

Is the hub circle size the same as the stock 88? The reason I am asking is I would like to use my current wheels which have the 57.1 mm hub centering circle and the 5x100 bolt pattern
Could a 5x100 bolt pattern be drilled on the caddy hub flange? I am desperate to do this mod if possible as my stock hub is getting noisy

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 05-01-2011).]

Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looking for spark plug recommendations (to install when I've got the air/fuel mixture sorted):

Stock is AC Delco double platinum 41-987 for a 2001 Northstar with 0.050" gap.
My setup varies from stock since I am using coil wires and carbs.

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.gminsidenews.com...t-spark-plugs-88660/

Document ID# 1396703

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Information on New Spark Plugs and Gapping #03-06-04-060 - (10/24/2003)
Models: 2004 Buick Ranier

2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV

2004 Cadillac CTS-V

1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvette

1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro

1999-2004 Chevrolet Silverado

2000-2004 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche

2003-2004 Chevrolet Express, TrailBlazer

1999-2004 GMC Sierra

2000-2004 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2001-2004 GMC Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali

2002-2004 GMC Sierra Denali

2003-2004 GMC Envoy XL

1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird

2004 Pontiac GTO

2003-2004 Hummer H2

with 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L or 6.0L V-8 Engine (VINs V, P, T, Z, G, S, N, U -- RPOs LR4, LM4, LM7, L59, LS1, LS6, LQ9, LQ4)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new spark plug has been released for use in the above vehicles. The new spark plug has an Iridium tip instead of the current Platinum tip. Due to the different tip design, the gap of the spark plug has also changed. The new spark plug, P/N 12571164 with AC Delco P/N 41-985, is gapped to 1.01mm (0.040 inches) when the spark plug is made. The spark plug gap is set during manufacturing and should not be changed or damage to the spark plug may result. Any new spark plug found to not be properly gapped should not be used.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

http://www.gminsidenews.com...t-spark-plugs-88660/

Document ID# 1396703

wont work with his HPV 1 as it requiers a gap of 32 Thou 40 will cause problems he requiers stock GM AC Delco plugs
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wont work with his HPV 1 as it requiers a gap of 32 Thou 40 will cause problems he requiers stock GM AC Delco plugs

Ah yes when in doubt read the manual...HPV 1 manual says 32 thous for stock V8 and 30 for hi-performance street.
So I guess I need an AC Delco part number of a non-platinum plug that has the right specs for a Northstar (size and heat range) that I can gap to 30-32 thou.

In the meantime, I have reduced the idle jets from 58's to 52's and turned in the mixture screws to half turn out.
After engine running at operating temp for a while plugs are changing to a tan colour.
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero2m8

1928 posts
Member since Feb 2006
With the carb reinstalled this time I've been able to balance all barrel to identical smooth airflow reading.
Only remaining issue is #8 barrel makes a whistling noise that sounds like an open vacuum cap.
When the uni-sync guage in placed on the velocity stack it mutes the sound.
Since only this barrel makes this noise, I think there is still something minor going on.

You might be able to hear it in this video:

PFF
System Bot
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2011 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

Is the hub circle size the same as the stock 88? The reason I am asking is I would like to use my current wheels which have the 57.1 mm hub centering circle and the 5x100 bolt pattern
Could a 5x100 bolt pattern be drilled on the caddy hub flange? I am desperate to do this mod if possible as my stock hub is getting noisy

I have to order and pre pay for the caddy hubs so I would really appreciate it if you could measure the hub and let me know, thanks!
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2011 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have to order and pre pay for the caddy hubs so I would really appreciate it if you could measure the hub and let me know, thanks!

Per the timken website/catalog:
79-85 FWD (rear bearing) 513010: Wheel pilot diameter = 2.76"
Fiero rear wheel bearing 513011k: Wheel pilot diameter = 2.25"
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2011 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Per the timken website/catalog:
79-85 FWD (rear bearing) 513010: Wheel pilot diameter = 2.76"
Fiero rear wheel bearing 513011k: Wheel pilot diameter = 2.25"

Thanks! So it looks like I am out of luck using my current wheels
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2011 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks! So it looks like I am out of luck using my current wheels

Sorry Erik I missed your post but yes guru is right the hubs are bigger along with the bolt pattern.
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2011 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

With the carb reinstalled this time I've been able to balance all barrel to identical smooth airflow reading.
Only remaining issue is #8 barrel makes a whistling noise that sounds like an open vacuum cap.
When the uni-sync guage in placed on the velocity stack it mutes the sound.
Since only this barrel makes this noise, I think there is still something minor going on.

You might be able to hear it in this video:

you have a small blockage on the idle air port a good run will clear it nothing to worry about
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2011 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bubbajoexxx

1630 posts
Member since Aug 2003
told you you had a bent throttle shaft balance is good now
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2011 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry Erik I missed your post but yes guru is right the hubs are bigger along with the bolt pattern.

No problem. Do you think the hub pilots have enough thickness to be machined down to 2.25?
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2011 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No problem. Do you think the hub pilots have enough thickness to be machined down to 2.25?

Do your wheels have a removable concentric ring? All my aftermarket rims came with them, so when I swap hubs, I just swap out the concentric ring on the wheel.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 05-04-2011).]

Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2011 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

told you you had a bent throttle shaft balance is good now

Yes it just needed a bench tune as you said - another + for bubbajoe

you have a small blockage on the idle air port a good run will clear it nothing to worry about

Ok I'll move on to other stuff and keep an eye on it after some use

I'd say not a 1/2" look at the picture:

Last night I was working on the stainless rad hoses:
There is a local hydralic hose place that I going to have the one end resealed on both hoses now that I've cut them to proper length:

Routing with look something like this:

This is the highest point in the system their was no fluid in the hard crossover pipe - a little concerning?
Since the other hose connects to the bottom of the passenger rad I drained the DEXCOOL from the system in preparation for the swap.
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2011 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
keep the hose well clear of the exhaust remember its teflon lined and will melt at 300 degrees
PFF
System Bot
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do your wheels have a removable concentric ring? All my aftermarket rims came with them, so when I swap hubs, I just swap out the concentric ring on the wheel.

Yes they do except for one which was a shipping error. I just slighty reamed it out and it fit so, I measured the OD of the ring they are 2.88 so its just a matter of getting concentric ring, thanks for the heads up.
But, I will still have to change the bolt pattern spacing to 5x100 hopefully there is room to do so. If you can, please look and tell me if you think that is feasible before I order the hubs, thanks again!
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
@ Erik:
Erik, I had asked Joe about finding a hub that used a 5x115mm hub instead of the 5x4.75" that Ryan used. He recommended: 86 and up caddy rear bearing buick riv olds 88 5X115

This might have a smaller flange that you can work with.

Bob
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Routing with look something like this:

This is the highest point in the system their was no fluid in the hard crossover pipe - a little concerning?
Since the other hose connects to the bottom of the passenger rad I drained the DEXCOOL from the system in preparation for the swap.

What about using exhaust hangers to hold the tube away from other parts. I'm sure you can mount them upside down so the tube is on top.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

86 and up caddy rear bearing buick riv olds 88 5X115

BEWARE most GM replacement bearings even oem come from china and you want USA made only

Joe, new question....
Is there a way to tell if the hub is rebuildable (nut instead of crimp) without taking the hub out and popping the back cover? I found a 2004 Buick Century wtout ABS (pn 512221) and the spec sheet looks perfect. I just do not know if the bearing comes apart.

thanx for any help...

Bob
RacerX11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RacerX11Send a Private Message to RacerX11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Joe, new question....
Is there a way to tell if the hub is rebuildable (nut instead of crimp) without taking the hub out and popping the back cover? I found a 2004 Buick Century wtout ABS (pn 512221) and the spec sheet looks perfect. I just do not know if the bearing comes apart.

thanx for any help...

Bob

In my experience, no. I recently bought a made-in-USA, Timken 513018, non-ABS, 5x115mm hub from Rock Auto. Upon pulling the cover, I discovered it is a crimp-style hub, with ball bearings instead of rollers, and the crimp collar has the teeth for ABS. I suspect they are consolidating parts to save money, so the only difference between an ABS and non-ABS hub is the sensor and cover. So you really can't tell until you pull the cover.

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RacerX11:

In my experience, no. I recently bought a made-in-USA, Timken 513018, non-ABS, 5x115mm hub from Rock Auto. Upon pulling the cover, I discovered it is a crimp-style hub, with ball bearings instead of rollers, and the crimp collar has the teeth for ABS. I suspect they are consolidating parts to save money, so the only difference between an ABS and non-ABS hub is the sensor and cover. So you really can't tell until you pull the cover.

Are there any 5x115 hubs that use roller bearings?
AMC Eagle front hubs use dual tapered rollers and are repackable, but they're 5x4.5.
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
5x115 and 5x4.5 are the same as far as wheel bolt pattern are concerned
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, they're not.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I looked it up and it seems the difference is .027''. If I were to order two sets of rims with both patterns would they actually be different?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 78 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock