Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  newest project (Page 20)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 78 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
newest project by bubbajoexxx
Started on: 09-12-2003 06:18 PM
Replies: 3111 (374096 views)
Last post by: Trinten on 04-23-2023 11:02 PM
bubbajoexxx

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
with the front hub change the stock brakes will not fit you will have to upgrade to the vette brakes for the hubs to work as for the rear you can use the vette or the S10 rotors and 6000 calipers I wont do a kit as I dont have access to corvair parts I buy mine from ebay and that is hit and miss at times If you get the parts I can have the hubs done for you and the 6000 uprights machined but that would be all I can do you would have to follow the instructions posted here and on my site to get it done

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 10-14-2004).]

IP: Logged
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bubbajoexxx:

Will
the fit is so close that only a small amount needs to be removed the first ones I did I removed the extra material with sanding brums and it worked fine
now I going to se if I can reduce the size of the bearing surface to match the fiero bearing shells If so iI will go that rout

When I first saw this on your website I got an S10 bearing to try, but it had a shoulder that prevented it from going into the A-body upright, as well as bolt pattern issues, IIRC. I didn't feel like doing the necessary machining to get it to go together. I don't believe in modifying wear parts like bearing cartridges.
I looked more closely at your website and one of the pictures you had up at the time showed quite clearly about 1/4" gap between the bearing and the upright. I was quite graveled that you called it a bolt together upgrade...
But if you're doing it right now, that's all gravy.

------------------
Turn the key and feel the engine shake the whole car with its lope; Plant the gas pedal and feel in your chest neither a shriek nor a wail but a bellowing roar; Lift and be pushed into the harness by compression braking that only comes from the biggest cylinders while listening to music of pops and gurgles. Know that you are driving an American V8. There are finer engines made, but none of them are this cool.

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will
the first ones I did are still working fine on an old fiero I sold the owner has put over 40,000 miles on the setup with no problems the one I will be doing for the back will have the hub itself remachined to fit new bearings and fitted to a smaller bearing shell If possible if not I will rework the 6000 upright to fit the bearing and install a press in collar around the inner bore which will make it fit better than in a stock S10 upright for the bolts I bolt the bearing housing in from the front and drill out the stock threads and slot the holes .this moves the bolts closer to the housing and retains its strength moving them outward would weaken the housing

this is one of the pics from the site

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 10-14-2004).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I refuse to modify a wear part. I have visions of being stuck in the middle of the desert needing a wheel bearing that requires 2 hours of machine shop time before it can be installed.

I would be willing to modify the upright, however, but I'd rather just start from scratch...

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will
thats what I do is retrofit the upright to fit the bearing I will see if it is possible to move the holes in the upright to make the bearing a bolt in without slotting the holes
and post my results as uprights are cheep from the bone yard there are plentifull
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

I refuse to modify a wear part. I have visions of being stuck in the middle of the desert needing a wheel bearing that requires 2 hours of machine shop time before it can be installed.

Understandable. But, you could always make a spare and bolt it to the back of the spare tire and take it with you where ever you go. In reality, bears usually give plenty of warning (like wining or growling) before they fail. But, modifying the uprights would be preferred.

Roy

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mrfixit58

I have owned Fiero's since 1984 and one that I put 190K on and have never had to change a rear wheel bearing but axles yes I'm bad for twisting them

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 10-15-2004).]

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have owned Fiero's since 1984 and one that I put 190K on and have never had to change a rear wheel bearing but axles yes I'm bad for twisting them

Sounds like a FUN problem .

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mrfixit58
you got that right but it does get expensive axles are not cheep
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While your online, what master cylindar are you using for your brakes? Corvette or K series Blazer?

Roy

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mrfixit58
corvette as it is desined for 4 wheel disk the blazer one is not as it has a residual pressure valve where as the vette one does not
PFF
System Bot
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well I picked up the parts for the rear hub swap today and have remeasured all the components and it is possible to mount the S10 bearing without changws to the bearing all than needs to be done is rebore the upright to fit the bearing and put a bearing spacer in I have the diagram for the spacer done and once machined I will do the test fit and then post pics of the unit
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2004 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here is some of the info needed for the rear hub change

fig. A: you need to rebore the inside diameter from 3.55 to 3.615 to a depth of 1,085 inches
fig. B: the bolts holes need to be moved over .020 inches to bolt the new hub in
as you can see in this diagram the hole are only off a small amout
\
as I am using the Vette brakes in the rear I need to remove these ears in yellow for the caliper brackets to be installed

the diagram for the bearing filler is done and will post it separetly

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 10-17-2004).]

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clear as a bell

What can I say Bubba, you rock!

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
put it together and take a turn sideways!!!

[This message has been edited by TaurusThug (edited 11-04-2004).]

p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2004 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by p8ntman442:

http://www.fierodriver.com/fiero_images01/extended.jpg

The El Fiero (not to be confused with the El Camino).

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mrfixit58

3330 posts
Member since Jul 99
Bubbajoe,

Do you know from what model year (roughly) you pulled the S10 hub? It seems that the current model and the previous model both used a CV type carrier bearing.

Thanks,
Roy

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
p8ntman442

as I said earlier in the post this car in the pic has over a 20 inch stretch
and is not what I am doing .My stretch was done to acomidate the engine trans axle I am using
as the th 425 will not give you a true mid engine and is auto when I preffer a stick

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bubbajoexxx

1630 posts
Member since Aug 2003
mrfixit58

83 to 92 are all the same the 92 have a abs ring but is easy to remove but are the same diamention
83 to 89 have no ring so are cheeper to buy

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2004 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well I hope to have the uprights back from the machine shop tomorrow and start the rear swap if the weather is good been sick with the flue for the last few days
will post pic's if every thing goes good in the morning

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 10-22-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
VISCERAL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2004 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VISCERALSend a Private Message to VISCERALEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks alot for the info Bubba.
so...
for the rear of the fiero, user 6000 front hubs(i believe 6000's go to 91 or 92 and olds ciera's go to 1996) and s10 wheel bearings:

83 to 92 are all the same the 92 have a abs ring but is easy to remove but are the same diamention
83 to 89 have no ring so are cheeper to buy

wheel bearings, i am assuming the pickup trucks have them and those are the ones you mean and not the blazer.
Please let me know because I'm going pickin at the yards Monday

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2004 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
S10 Chevy blazer or truck
S15 GMC Jimmy or Truck
the small 4X4 S series are all the same up to 92
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2004 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
got the uprights back yesterday with the rebore done and the holes slotted and the bearings fit without being reworked hope to have the spacers done this week and will start removing the old setup for test fitting of the brakes and wheels tomorrow

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 10-24-2004).]

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2004 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great. How is the rest of the body work going?
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2004 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nothing but rain for the past week so no body work done but hope for some dry weather so I can install the rear wing and finish the back hatch
TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2004 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
did you test fit the wheels and brakes? is it dry today??? huh huh huh???

i just looked and noticed that this thread is almost at 30000 views!!!

yes that was THIRTY THOUSAND!!!! THATS INSANE!!!!

[This message has been edited by TaurusThug (edited 10-25-2004).]

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2004 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TaurusThug
will be at it this afternoon and will post pics
Dowdian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2004 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DowdianClick Here to visit Dowdian's HomePageSend a Private Message to DowdianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just incredible. Absolutely incredible.

I'm in awe.

------------------
Dowdian
Beat up, broken down, bashed in 88 GT that I love dearly.

Bobby Amos Albrecht

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2004 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bobby Amos AlbrechtSend a Private Message to Bobby Amos AlbrechtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI Joe what a job really now not one I would like but can't wait to see it done if anyone should get a prize it's you. Thanks for all the pic on my car hope all will enjoy that was a lot for me, it would be to much with out all your help thanks.
VISCERAL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VISCERALSend a Private Message to VISCERALEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BubbaJoe, another question. A local 6000 friend said there are 2 different hubs for the 6000, regular and heavyduty, both were available for all model years. Any Idea if both work. They said the regular model used hubs with the 5x100 bolt pattern, while the HD unit used the 5x114.5 or 5x115 bolt pattern. Do you remember which bolt pattern wheel bearing the 6000 was? Thanks

[This message has been edited by VISCERAL (edited 10-26-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VISCERAL

Heavy duty 5X115 or you will have the stock fiero pieces with the 5X100 light duty

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bubbajoexxx

1630 posts
Member since Aug 2003

there on the car still more to do though to go with the 9.5 rim I have to move the strut inward 1/4 inch and will do that with the new struts and coil overs

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where did you get that little e-brake caliper?

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tesmith66
I buy them here at the local princess auto store they are air hart calipers
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool.

I was planning on using those for my rear Grand Am brake swap. Did you have to make a spacer to widen it? How'd you mount it? How did you attach the cable?

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tesmith66
The mount for the caliper they have you must make a mount to bolt it to the upright and the cable is 2000 vette with my own cable clip there are pics
here http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/carcorner/52/id33.htm

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 10-26-2004).]

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I will admit that when you first started this project, I had doubts about most everything. All I can say now is, SWEET!

Nate

------------------

My Web page | The Turbo Super Duty Build.

ezramore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ezramoreSend a Private Message to ezramoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just curiouse if you were planning on a larger gas tank or just being the fastest car to the gas station every day. Also is this thing going to be able to pass emmisions testing. When i dropped the v8 in the ford i used to own i had to spend a day at the emmisions shop waiting for them to tell me since the car was a 78 and the engine was a 90, i had to pass 90 emmissions laws.

------------------
Ezra
88 Fiero 2M4

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
where I live the emission laws are out when a car reaches 20 years of age no testing required
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 78 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock