Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  We Build a Perfect Union (Page 62)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 78 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
We Build a Perfect Union by Archie
Started on: 01-11-2006 09:04 PM
Replies: 3080 (367636 views)
Last post by: troyboy on 10-29-2016 12:55 PM
ArbinShire

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2009 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArbinShireSend a Private Message to ArbinShireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So seriously. -WHEN- do you take possession of this car? I imagine after spending however much money and time on it, that you would want it to enjoy it soon, eh?
IP: Logged
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2009 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

Done, part ordered Archie you should have it by thursday

That would be really cool if it would flip in and out automatically, whenever you turned the car off/on.

It would suck if you forgot to flip the switch when going for a cruise and rip the licenses plate off if you hit a bump! Haha.

[This message has been edited by aeffertz (edited 11-11-2009).]

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2009 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ArbinShire:

So seriously. -WHEN- do you take possession of this car? I imagine after spending however much money and time on it, that you would want it to enjoy it soon, eh?

Now that the glass is in with a few more final tweaks she will be headed to NY hopefully. But no rush she will not seen any road time in NY until spring (winter in NY = snow, salt, rust)
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2009 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

troyboy

2075 posts
Member since Sep 2005

Originally posted by aeffertz:

That would be really cool if it would flip in and out automatically, whenever you turned the car off/on.

It would suck if you forgot to flip the switch when going for a cruise and rip the licenses plate off if you hit a bump! Haha.

Got it covered, I got the idea from the corvette boys with this flip plate, they mount two heavy gauge bolts on either side of the plate to take the hit if left in the down position. Plus Archie reinforced the nose of this car so he will have steel to mount it to.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2009 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How is the automatic license plate thingie coming along?
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2009 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2009 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet!
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2009 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2009 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCnmGjH5quM

nice
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2009 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nice

Reminds me of those black boxes personal coinbank with the hand that comes out from a trap door and snatches a penny, retracts and the door shuts

Cool looking , I like how low the licence is when up to where it doesn's really impede the airflow. I wonder if it will cause problems if it is retratced and you are doing at least 150 mph

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2009 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time to start cleaning the garage. It's become a storage room in the cars absence.
PFF
System Bot
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie any pic's of the door lock modification.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie any pic's of the door lock modification.

I just have one pic of that

And a few pics before & after the lowering ball joints.

Archie
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a question, not a flame.
Why were lowering ball-joints installed, since the car is equipped with coil-overs shocks and springs?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

Just a question, not a flame.
Why were lowering ball-joints installed, since the car is equipped with coil-overs shocks and springs?

I'm glad someone asked that because it gives me a chance to air one of my pet peeves.

With front coil overs, people think they can crank the front of their car up & down on a whim. In fact it's very difficult to get the spanner wrench in place to turn the adjuster collars. And when you can you can only turn the collar maybe 1/6th of a turn at a time at best. That's a lot of cranking just to go up or down an inch or so.

I've installed a lot of the RCC tubular suspension parts over the years & I like them. However, If you lower them down to where we had this one lowered, almost all of the travel on the shock is gone. When you drive it like that & hit a bump just right the shock will bottom out with a thump. I've found that if you install a set of rodney's lowering ball joints, you can get a lower ride height & still have some travel left in the front shocks.

Thinking that I could get him to supply the suspension system with Rodney's ball joints, I've tried explaining this to Darrell at RCC but he's had very little complaints from his other customers. So, i just do it here.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 12-18-2009).]

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Arch, what does something like this car cost to build minus the donor car?
FieroBobo

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm glad someone asked that because it gives me a chance to air one of my pet peeves.

With front coil overs, people think they can crank the front of their car up & down on a whim. In fact it's very difficult to get the spanner wrench in place to turn the adjuster collars. And when you can you can only turn the collar maybe 1/6th of a turn at a time at best. That's a lot of cranking just to go up or down an inch or so.

I've installed a lot of the RCC tubular suspension parts over the years & I like them. However, If you lower them down to where we had this one lowered, almost all of the travel on the shock is gone. When you drive it like that & hit a bump just right the shock will bottom out with a thump. I've found that if you install a set of rodney's lowering ball joints, you can get a lower ride height & still have some travel left in the front shocks.

Thinking that I could get him to supply the suspension system with Rodney's ball joints, I've tried explaining this to Darrell at RCC but he's had very little complaints from his other customers. So, i just do it here.

Archie

Hi Archie.
I found the above info interesting.
I'd like to get a little more suspension travel into my car since the roads in my part of NJ are not the best.
1) Could I apply the above solution to my car?
2) Could you give me an idea as to how much front suspension travel my car has right now with the coilovers that are on the car?
3) Roughly how much more suspension travel will I be able to pick up using Rodney's ball joints?
4) Do you have any suggestion as to any mods that could be made to get a softer/smoother ride?

As far as a status report on my car:
The LS3, (LS376/480), runs pretty good, its still a little rich at startup expecially in cold weather though. I have noticed that I have to be a little careful when I get on the gas pedal when the roads are wet and/or slippery. For some strange reason the rear end of the car just seems to break loose and go sideways when I hit the gas pedal. Come to think of it that happens sometimes even on dry pavement. (Very strange! ) The gas mileage around town is roughly 10mpg ,but the acceleration is so addictive that its hard not to put your foot into it on a regualr basis. I use the car daily on my ride back and forth to work. The ride to and from work is usually the best part of my day. Most of the kids at the high school have a hard time believing that my car older than they are, 21years for the car 14-19 for the kids. I kind of wish I could get better gas mileage, but I don't put on more than 100 miles a week on the car so I just gas it up once a week and I'm good.

Hope you and the crew are OK. Stay well, and Enjoy the holidays.

Bob :-)
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroBobo:

Hi Archie.
I found the above info interesting.
I'd like to get a little more suspension travel into my car since the roads in my part of NJ are not the best.
1) Could I apply the above solution to my car?
2) Could you give me an idea as to how much front suspension travel my car has right now with the coilovers that are on the car?
3) Roughly how much more suspension travel will I be able to pick up using Rodney's ball joints?
4) Do you have any suggestion as to any mods that could be made to get a softer/smoother ride?

As far as a status report on my car:
The LS3, (LS376/480), runs pretty good, its still a little rich at startup expecially in cold weather though. I have noticed that I have to be a little careful when I get on the gas pedal when the roads are wet and/or slippery. For some strange reason the rear end of the car just seems to break loose and go sideways when I hit the gas pedal. Come to think of it that happens sometimes even on dry pavement. (Very strange! ) The gas mileage around town is roughly 10mpg ,but the acceleration is so addictive that its hard not to put your foot into it on a regualr basis. I use the car daily on my ride back and forth to work. The ride to and from work is usually the best part of my day. Most of the kids at the high school have a hard time believing that my car older than they are, 21years for the car 14-19 for the kids. I kind of wish I could get better gas mileage, but I don't put on more than 100 miles a week on the car so I just gas it up once a week and I'm good.

Hope you and the crew are OK. Stay well, and Enjoy the holidays.

Bob :-)

Hey Bob,

Good to hear from you.

I have another customer about 20 miles from you who had an '88 with a LS3 5 speed who would like to get ahold of you if you're interested.

1) Yes, Rodney has lowering ball joints for the '88
2) About an inch or less, I can't recall exactly.
3) 1"
4) You can go to a lighter spring. Just call Darrell at RCC 817-536-3380 & he can fix you up. I think you have 350's in there now.

BTW, I now have a new instruction video for the LSx engines. I don't know how to make it a DVD but I can put it on a 4 gig flash drive if you want one.

Archie
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone at work sent me this link today. I replied back with the link to this 62 page build thread
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2010 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

Someone at work sent me this link today. I replied back with the link to this 62 page build thread

Thanks for the link to the nice write up.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2010 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

troyboy

2075 posts
Member since Sep 2005
The garage is now cleaned, painted, and heated, time to set the pickup date. Hopefully before the week of February 8, that's when I go in for the operation. As I heal I can play with my new full size Hot wheels in the garage while my son plays with his.
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2010 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, very nice write-up on #022.

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2010 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I got the idea from the corvette boys with this flip plate,

Do you have a link for the flip plate? If I'm patient enough I won't need a front plate after 25 years, but I might not be able to wait that long.

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2010 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Do you have a link for the flip plate? If I'm patient enough I won't need a front plate after 25 years, but I might not be able to wait that long.

http://www.swiftmotorsports...php?products_id=3922
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2010 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Troy. That is totally cool! I have been looking for one of those for a while, but never saw a motorized one until now.

countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2010 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate to point out the obvious, but will that even make it out of the driveway without getting ripped off? Whether the plate is retracted or up, it is only about 3" off the ground?! Very cool concept, though... I want to build something similar for the spoiler on my kitcar
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2010 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by countach711:

I hate to point out the obvious, but will that even make it out of the driveway without getting ripped off? Whether the plate is retracted or up, it is only about 3" off the ground?! Very cool concept, though... I want to build something similar for the spoiler on my kitcar

This was addressed at the top of the page:

Originally posted by aeffertz:

Got it covered, I got the idea from the corvette boys with this flip plate, they mount two heavy gauge bolts on either side of the plate to take the hit if left in the down position. Plus Archie reinforced the nose of this car so he will have steel to mount it to.

If and when the nose of the car scrapes the road , the bolts added to the new frame will take the scrape and not the flip plate. Plus airbag coil overs will be added in the spring to raise the nose to a safe level when pulling into driveways and foreseen obstacles with a flip of a switch.
this pic is just one of the airbag coil overs set ups made by this company. Thanks for the concern but alot of forethought goes into every mod made to this car, we try not to leave anything to chance. But all that said, we drive fieros and sometimes sh*t just happens and we fix it
countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my bad, I didn't see that post. Those shocks look like they are a good solution. Super nice car by the way,, plus I love orange cars!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Very impressive stuff !

Just a curious thought and not to get all technical, but is there some type of rubber stopper between the scrapper and the fiberglass nose ? Just wondering if that would give added protection from the stress of the bottom, impacting the metal, if it ever scrapes ?

Heck it may not even matter or help at all but was just a thought.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Very impressive stuff !

Just a curious thought and not to get all technical, but is there some type of rubber stopper between the scrapper and the fiberglass nose ? Just wondering if that would give added protection from the stress of the bottom, impacting the metal, if it ever scrapes ?

Heck it may not even matter or help at all but was just a thought.

It's hard to see but the scrapper or metal frame is bolted to the frame of the car.

this way the fiberglass nose should not take the impact
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Troy, you have a PM
PFF
System Bot
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Troy, you have a PM

Got it, reply sent. Sorry for the delay I just got home from work.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2010 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2010 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can't upload video to UTube from my shop PC because we only have Dial-up in this industrial park.

I'll do it tonight from home.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 01-14-2010).]

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2010 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can't upload video to UTube from my shop PC because we only have Dial-up in this industrial park.

Archie

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2010 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

Nice numbers!!

------------------

Check out my build!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2010 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2010 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NICE..............can't wait to hear the exhaust on the the video

[This message has been edited by DL10 (edited 01-14-2010).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2010 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 01-14-2010).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2010 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet! I was about to watch a movie, but this video is much, much better entertainment. Oh yeah, those HRE's are banging!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 78 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock