Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  We Build a Perfect Union (Page 58)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 78 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
We Build a Perfect Union by Archie
Started on: 01-11-2006 09:04 PM
Replies: 3080 (367689 views)
Last post by: troyboy on 10-29-2016 12:55 PM
Tanlrat

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TanlratSend a Private Message to TanlratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie I am curious about the seat i height difference from the stock seats to those vette seats Troy's got. I sit tall in any car and i can't chop mine for that reason.

edit:
hmm i got this page

[This message has been edited by Tanlrat (edited 01-10-2009).]

IP: Logged
troyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tanlrat:

Archie I am curious about the seat i height difference from the stock seats to those vette seats Troy's got. I sit tall in any car and i can't chop mine for that reason.

edit:
hmm i got this page

Good question, when I sat in the car a few day's ago ( ) , I noticed that I lost about an inch over the stock seats. It was tight but curly feels that it's because they are newly upholstered seats with new foam and will settle down after I sit my fat ass in it a few times.
BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
man im still sooo jealous.

plez post more u tube vids......
pleaseeeee pretty pretty please with a cherry on top?
InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

Good question, when I sat in the car a few day's ago ( ) , I noticed that I lost about an inch over the stock seats. It was tight but curly feels that it's because they are newly upholstered seats with new foam and will settle down after I sit my fat ass in it a few times.

ROFL

Get to eatin' now you have a reason to eat
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2009 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tanlrat:

edit:
hmm i got this page

If you mount the seats w/o the tracks, then they can be lower, but will be non-adjustable. Mine are soid mounted and gained me an inch from the stock fiero seats.

Tanlrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2009 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TanlratSend a Private Message to TanlratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys for the info.
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2009 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We used the seat rails from the Fiero & mounted them to the 'Vette seats. The stock 'Vette rails were tto high & were too far apart.

We flattened out the seat rail mounting flanges to get the rails as low in the car as we could.

On the inboard side of the seat, we mounted the seat rails to about the same place as the stock 'Vette rails were mounted. We made some Aluminum spacers to go between the seat rail & the seat so the underside of the'Vette seat & the Fiero hardware & floor had a little clearance to each other.

We also made some brackets to mount the outboard seat rails to the 'Vette seats.

Archie
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2009 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pardon the pon, but Troy's sit 'n good. Corvette seats are the best!
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2009 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is aluminum safe to use for seat mounting? In the event of a bad accident, wouldn't the aluminum "tear" and the seat would no longer be fastened to the floor?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2009 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Is aluminum safe to use for seat mounting? In the event of a bad accident, wouldn't the aluminum "tear" and the seat would no longer be fastened to the floor?

On one side the aluminum is just used for a spacer, so it's not going anywhere. On the other side if it can move far enough to tear then the driver has got other problems to worry about.

Besides, it's 6061 & other parts will bend before it tears.

Archie
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2009 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you also notch out the floor in the car (replacing the studs) ? I'm wondering because it seems like the corvette seats maybe could be installed to actually sit Lower than the stock fiero seats.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 01-15-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2009 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SoTroy,
Now that you have won the car, What are you going to do with this masterpiece?
What are your plans this year, show wise??
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2009 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

The seatbelts are not attached to the seat so there really isn't much load going into them assuming that the passenger doesn’t have Velcro pants on

Have you ever seen the understructure of a Fiero seat? It is very thin sheet metal and the bolts are retained by some really weak clips. I was able to rip a seat out by hand in a junkyard once (the rails were rusted solid and it was the only way it was going to come out). Just lean the seatback forward and rock from side to side and the rails come loose from the seat bottom. The aluminum pieces Archie used are going to hold better than that.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2009 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

SoTroy,
Now that you have won the car, What are you going to do with this masterpiece?
What are your plans this year, show wise??

I'm trying to keep my schedule free for the world of wheels at the end of the month but my work load is crazy, but I will definitely be at the dells (great place , great fiero pepole) . My wife and I had a blast at the Dells and we were made to feel welcome, so we will let the car stay at Archie's until then to show it. Trust me it was a hard decision because I want the car home ASAP.
Brocephus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2009 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrocephusSend a Private Message to BrocephusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Troy, what part of NY are you from? I just accepted a position in Schenectady was wondering how close you were.

------------------

My Fiero ate an import. No, seriously.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2009 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brocephus:

Troy, what part of NY are you from? I just accepted a position in Schenectady was wondering how close you were.

Long Island near the Nassau coliseum
Tanlrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TanlratSend a Private Message to TanlratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Archie for the info and pics

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

I love how after its revved and it unwinds and kind of catches itself from a lopey cam idle and smoothes out

Very interesting you caught that Hmmmm
I guess everyone else is too young.
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Troy nice car!

Archie any updates? are the wheels back on?
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Painted Lambo orange calipers on yet?
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

I bet the LS7 G Forces will settle your butt in no time
PFF
System Bot
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 04:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AJxtcman:

Very interesting you caught that Hmmmm
I guess everyone else is too young.

My 800HP Rodeck did that as well as my 454 along with some of my other carbed beasts ..funny how a EFI can emulate the primal forces of an ancient technology
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Painted Lambo orange calipers on yet?

no more rusty rotors

[This message has been edited by troyboy (edited 01-16-2009).]

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow how cool is that!
I see in the pic that there is a indention for the fiero badge on the front fender!

VERY NICE detail !!

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. 12" Vette Rotors,Custom stuff done

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

wow how cool is that!
I see in the pic that there is a indention for the fiero badge on the front fender!

VERY NICE detail !!

The best part is that the badges are custom made too.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
I had intended to post up a bunch of pictures last night. However, the server that my web site & picture hosting is one was down for service so I couldn't post.

So now that everything is working again a bit of an update is in order.

Counting today, we've worked 4 days this week on finishing up details on the Perfect Union.

We got the brakes back from powdercoating. After putting the calipers back together with the pistons etc. putting them back on the car was pretty simple because they had been fitted before.

This time around though, we had to fabricate mounts for the rear "Spot" brakes & figure out routing & brackets for the hand brake cables. Everything had to clear the wide wheels so that was a lot easier said then done. there wasn't time to do this before the car went to paint.

Here are some pics.

Front....

Rear....

The finished product is going t look nice....

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Yesterday we put the car up on the lift to aid in routing the handbrake cables. We also have to fabricate a steel frame up under the nose to protect the air dam if it scrapes on the ground. We couldn't make this frame before because we needed to have the nose mounted for the last time before fitting this stuff.

I'll post some pics of it later as we get it built.

I did take a few pics of various items when we got it on the lift.

Archie
Tanlrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TanlratSend a Private Message to TanlratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie my god you guys do some awesome work. I like the fact that you and your crew really work on all the details small or large to make it perfect.

Tony damn dude, i know that was a really hard decision to make whether to take her home or not. I wish i could make the Dells to meet you and see the car in person, but lack of leave and the cash to get there, well everyone knows that story.

FieroBobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
* OMG * Pushed off of page 3 and down into the dreaded ARCHIVES.

And now ladies and gentlemen, ...
Back by popular demand, ....
PFF brings you, ....
. . . . "We Build a Perfect Union." . . .

We will continue with the regular program currently in progress. We apologize for the temporary interuption in the program.

~ Bob
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
We also have to fabricate a steel frame up under the nose to protect the air dam if it scrapes on the ground. We couldn't make this frame before because we needed to have the nose mounted for the last time before fitting this stuff.

I'll post some pics of it later as we get it built.

Archie

The last few days we've been working on several things.

As I said, we had to fabricate a steel frame up under the nose to protect it. I'm calling that frame the "rack".

With this car, Troy wanted protection for the nose if he was to rub it while driving on uneven surfaces. We also had a challenge to find a way to pull the car onto the trailer without having the straps or cable damage the lower nose.

You'll see that we were able to address both issues with this rack.

Here are some pics from last Friday showing what we had in mind.

This mount has been in several pictures before. We put it in anticipating the building of this "rack"

......more to come......

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Here's some of the results from building the "rack".

This is what it will look like when finished.......

I've said before how I like to make things so that they can be serviced down the road. Up 'til now bolting in the grills, Audi lights or driving lights was being done by reaching a long arm up into the nose thru the wheel well openings. We decided it would be better to have an access hole up under the nose.

The new "rack" bolts on with 8 bolts. With the car up in the air, the bolts are real easy to get to. If you take out 6 bolts you can pivot the "rack" down to allow you to service items inside the nose. When the "rack" is where it's supposed to be, the air coming thru the grills is still directed towards the radiator.

Archie
PFF
System Bot
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow Archie that looks great! I will call you tomorrow, but unfortualy it looks like this weekend is a no go, emergency at work. So off to the dells we shall go .
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to say something else.

We've gone from this ........

To This.......

I'd like to thank Troy for letting us participate in building his dream car.

This has been virtually a once in a lifetime opportunity to participate in the building of something special.

We still have a few minor details to finish up yet & we still have some test driving to do but for all practical purposes this car is virtually done.

This thread is not about to end, we have a lot more that will be added to this thread.

There are a million pictures yet to take, shows, test driving results & more.

In the next few days, I'll try to get some good quality pictures taken outside in the sunlight, so that you all can see how neat this one really is.

Thanks Troy,

Archie

------------------

Sig by Custom2M4

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No doubt that is a major transformation. Congratulations both Troy and Archie.

Archie the rack is a great idea ! Might want to keep that design handy as those of us who plan to go with fiberglass noses might like one of those handy dandy racks as well !
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tinkrr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Troy / Archie this is the ultimate fiero customization. The standard to which all others will be compared.

Congratulations to everyone who had a hand in it's creation.

I keep thinking this is as close as a Fiero is likely to come to a Saleen S7. May even give an S7 a good run.

[This message has been edited by Tinkrr (edited 01-23-2009).]

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow, Archie after a crazy day of trying to stop layoffs and saving a few hundred jobs you know how to keep a guy sane and off the ledge.
AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whats the plans for the tail lights?

------------------
87 SE 60* Turbo

Screw the L67...

Fierology

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

I've wondered for a while: how is the bumper material around the tailpipes not melted/scorched/burned/etc?

Speaking of tail pipes, can somone explain the reason the exhaust pipes make all the turns they do (in previous pictures) instead of just getting out the back of the car as quickly as possible? Excuse the ignorance!

Originally posted by AutoTech:

I think the tail lights already look great. Is there something planned?

Michael

------------------
"A guy know's he's in love when he loses interest in his car for a few days." -Tim Allen

He who dies with the most toys... still dies.

Check out my restoration!

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AutoTech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmBoRJITnxk I'm going to keep the original fiero light cover, but with the LED's mounted in back of them. Pontiac will also stay but in LED's. I want to keep the original look but with an update, P.S the "dancing lights" will be for car shows only, they will function as regular lights on the road.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 78 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock