Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Trayvon Martin: 'Shoot first' law under scrutiny (Page 33)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 39 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Trayvon Martin: 'Shoot first' law under scrutiny by Doni Hagan
Started on: 03-21-2012 08:24 AM
Replies: 1531 (19760 views)
Last post by: Rickady88GT on 02-25-2015 10:19 AM
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silentassassin185:

My question is since the mother has or was trying to trademark Trayvon's name can they legally call it the "Trayvon amendment"?

IP: Logged
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im so sick of hearing Sharpton and Jackson, Id almost pay someone $5K each to someone who shoots them. Thats not a threat, its a public service announcement.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 05-10-2012).]

newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My question is since the mother has or was trying to trademark Trayvon's name can they legally call it the "Trayvon amendment"?

Have you heard WHY they had his name trademarked?
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Democrats withdraw Trayvon amendment
http://www.washingtontimes....w-trayvon-amendment/
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:

I've been told that it was to protect his image and name from being exploited without the permission of the family, not for any monetary gain. His image and name were being used by individuals and organizations on both sides of the issue and the family sought out a legal means to stop it. The easiest way to do that is to trademark the image and name, much like many entertainers and public figures have done in the past.

For example, put Elvis' picture on a coffee mug without the permission of Elvis Presley Enterprises, LLC and watch how fast you have attorneys for the estate at your door.

[This message has been edited by Doni Hagan (edited 05-10-2012).]

newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:

I've been told that it was to protect his image and name from being exploited without the permission of the family, not for any monetary gain. His image and name were being used by individuals and organizations on both sides of the issue and the family sought out a legal means to stop it. The easiest way to do that is to trademark the image and name, much like any entertainers and public figures have done in the past.

For example, put Elvis' picture on a coffee mug without the permission of Elvis Presley Enterprises, LLC and watch how fast you have attorneys for the estate at your door.

Yeah I posted this a while back but it seemed to get ignored.

Sybrina Fulton is seeking to trademark the phrases "Justice for Trayvon" and "I Am Trayvon." The family attorney, Natalie Jackson, told RadarOnline.com exclusively: "I want to set the record straight, the trademarks were applied for so that no one can profit from or promote their own agendas using Trayvon Martin. Trayvon's parents will never seek to financially profit from these trademarks, period. I can't emphasize that point enough. They haven't even been able to mourn his death because they are seeking justice for his death.

http://www.radaronline.com/...demarked-name-reason

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 05-10-2012).]

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was surprised to find out that even Albert Einstein's image is trademarked by his estate. A friend found that out the hard way when he got a "cease and desist" order for using the image on a CD cover. It's extremely difficult to enforce an image/name trademark in totality as a small scale reproduction could be done on T-shirts and the like without anyone really noticing. BUT if you're caught doing it, there are most certainly legal repercussions.

Back to Elvis...there was a recent case where some manufacturer was making (I kid you not) Elvis panties with his face on the INSIDE. He didn't get caught until they showed up for sale on a website. EPE, LLC had them "pulled" immediately (pun certainly intended) and the manufacturer lost the case in court. Disney and Michael Jackson, LLC are the most virulent of late at protecting their trademark rights.

Again, as it's been explained to me, the Martin family did it to try to stop people from exploiting the image and name on both sides of the issue.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've been told that it was to protect his image and name from being exploited without the permission of the family, not for any monetary gain. His image and name were being used by individuals and organizations on both sides of the issue and the family sought out a legal means to stop it. The easiest way to do that is to trademark the image and name, much like many entertainers and public figures have done in the past.

I know some people can really get postal on this. When I was doing custom vans for FunTrails years ago, we had many requests for paintjobs with OSU theme (this friggin town should be named Ohio State City). You know, gray and red, buckeye leaves, spare tire covers, even murals of the stadium or Woody Hayes. OSU sent down someone who informed us we couldnt do that without their permission or paying them a fee. Its all about the money.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Again, as it's been explained to me, the Martin family did it to try to stop people from exploiting the image and name on both sides of the issue.

Right, that's what the family said in public. But not wanting Martin's "image" to be exploited be either side seems to only mean that they don't want people saying that Martin was a thug.

Brad
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Right, that's what the family said in public. But not wanting Martin's "image" to be exploited be either side seems to only mean that they don't want people saying that Martin was a thug.

Brad

Yes, that's what they said publicly and that's what I assume they meant to say. It appears you have some sense of what they said privately as well.

Of course, using your assumption, not wanting a dead family member to be portrayed in a negative light on a T-shirt and the like IS a completely unreasonable thing for any family to do. Am I correct on that?

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

Democrats withdraw Trayvon amendment
http://www.washingtontimes....w-trayvon-amendment/

Good. Still, it'll be back.

"Shoot-first laws make prosecutions harder because they presume the use of deadly force is reasonable," Mr. Ellison said on the House floor Tuesday as he explained why he wanted to raise his amendment.

We can't have a law on the books that presumes innocence and makes prosecution prove guilt. That's unamerican, apparently.
That and they need to pay for the rights to use The Blessed Trayvon's™ name on the amendment before re-introducing it.
PFF
System Bot
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post05-10-2012 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw on BBC News last night, that Mrs. Martin has visited England to show 'solidarity' with the mother of Stephen Lawrence, a young black man who was murdered by a gang on the streets of S.E.London, some 10+ years ago. Some of the gang were tried then, and acquited. The case was reopened privately by Stephen's Parents, and at least two of the gang who commited the atrocity were finally convicted and jailed.
In my opinion, there is NO correlation between the two incidents, other than both victims were young black men. The Stephen Lawrence murder was simple gangster racism and murder...if racism could be called 'simple' . I noted that the photos of Trayvon Martin were, once again, the smiling face of a thirteen-year old.
To draw a simile between the two killings was a stretch at least. Stephen was standing at a bus stop, waiting to go home from school. NOTHING could have been construed as 'suspicious behaviour', which apparently is an aspect of the Trayvon Martin slaying.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

We can't have a law on the books that presumes innocence and makes prosecution prove guilt. That's unamerican, apparently.
That and they need to pay for the rights to use The Blessed Trayvon's™ name on the amendment before re-introducing it.

You've read something the rest of us have not, it seems.

Where was it stated that Washington needed to pay for the rights to use the name in legislation? As I've been asked so many times before "Do you have a link to that?"

Thanks!

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You've read something the rest of us have not, it seems.

So you're saying "the rest of us" haven't read that the family trademarked Travyon's name? How's that working out for you? Anyone buying it?

Where was it stated that Washington needed to pay for the rights to use the name in legislation? As I've been asked so many times before "Do you have a link to that?"

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...092409-33.html#p1290

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 05-10-2012).]

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...092409-33.html#p1290

No, that's not what I'm saying and I assume you're bright enough to know that.

What I AM saying is there's no reported reliable evidence that the Martin family required payment for the use of their son's name in any pending legislation. To bolster your claim, you give me a link to YOU saying it?

Come on, man. LOL!! You'd be all over it if I presented something that lame to you.

Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:

Does it matter why? I didn't ask why. I asked from a legal stand point can they call it the Trayvon amendment since the trademark exists.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Does it matter why? I didn't ask why. I asked from a legal stand point can they call it the Trayvon amendment since the trademark exists.

Interesting question.

I've been scanning some of the more comprehensive online legal reference sites (Cornell U, "findlaw.com" and the like) and can't find any case wherein a family or individual sued or otherwise impeded the use of a trademarked name and/or visage in proposed legislation by the US Government. All I can find that's even close was a 1985 intellectual property infringement suit filed against a government agency on behalf of Jobete Publishing (Motown Records) regarding the unauthorized use of the song "Dancing In The Streets" in a US Postal Service training video. It seems the USPS used the song without getting clearance from Jobete beforehand. The case never went to trial though so I imagine Jobete gave authorization without prejudice.

I'll keep looking.

Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't they trade mark the name within like a day or two? can't remember but it seamed weird aqt the time.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Red88FF:

Didn't they trade mark the name within like a day or two? can't remember but it seamed weird aqt the time.

Actually, the trademark application was submitted on or about March 23rd. The incident occurred on February 26th.
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I know some people can really get postal on this. When I was doing custom vans for FunTrails years ago, we had many requests for paintjobs with OSU theme (this friggin town should be named Ohio State City). You know, gray and red, buckeye leaves, spare tire covers, even murals of the stadium or Woody Hayes. OSU sent down someone who informed us we couldnt do that without their permission or paying them a fee. Its all about the money.

I don't see how they could legally make you stop. As long as you are not pre-making a product that you are selling you should have been fine. By doing what you were, you were providing a service not a product.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, that's what they said publicly and that's what I assume they meant to say. It appears you have some sense of what they said privately as well.

Of course, using your assumption, not wanting a dead family member to be portrayed in a negative light on a T-shirt and the like IS a completely unreasonable thing for any family to do. Am I correct on that?

No you said that they Trademarked Martins name to "stop people from exploiting the image and name on both sides of the issue."

But as I said, one side is certainly exploiting his name and image. I never even alluded to knowing what was said in private, that was just you taking a cheap shot at me.

Brad
PFF
System Bot
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No you said that they Trademarked Martins name to "stop people from exploiting the image and name on both sides of the issue."

But as I said, one side is certainly exploiting his name and image. I never even alluded to knowing what was said in private, that was just you taking a cheap shot at me.

Brad

You're right....that was a cheap shot.

I've been the target of so many that it's getting hard to resist opportunities when they present themselves. I have to learn to discipline myself.

My bad.
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Actually, the trademark application was submitted on or about March 23rd. The incident occurred on February 26th.

That is much longer than I thought, thanks.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

I don't see how they could legally make you stop. As long as you are not pre-making a product that you are selling you should have been fine. By doing what you were, you were providing a service not a product.

Our lawyer said according to them, we were creating a likeness of their product (OSU) for profit. End of story. ie/ you can take a picture of the stadium legally, but if you make 20x30 prints and sell them, its illegal without paying them a fee.

A friend of mines daughter started a business making wallpaper in about 8" wide decorative strips to put around a wall in your house. She made them with all kinds of designs. She has one that has 'buckeye leaves, and block 'O's printed on it. She had to pay OSU $15,000 for the right to use those designs and sell the wallpaper.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 05-11-2012).]

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Seller Offers Gun Range Targets Meant to Resemble Trayvon Martin

This post has been updated to include additional information about the seller of the paper targets.

A Florida entrepreneur said he had sold out of gun range targets depicting a faceless, hood-clad figure holding an iced tea and a bag of Skittles meant to look like Trayvon Martin.

"The response is overwhelming," the seller told Orlando's WKMG news team over e-mail. "I sold out in two days." The station did not identify the seller, and said it found the ad on a popular firearms auctioning website.

A cached version of the GunBroker.com webpage belonging to a seller named "hillerarmco" from Virginia Beach, Va., shows the paper targets being sold in packs of 10 for $8.

The description of the product reads:

Everyone knows the story of Zimmerman and Martin. Obviously we support Zimmerman and believe he is innocent and that he shot a thug. Each target is printed on thick, high quality poster paper with a matte finish! The dimensions are 12"x18" ( The same as Darkotic Zombie Targets) This is a Ten Pack of Targets.

A Twitter account with the same name has been discontinued. A Google search on "hillerarmco" shows a company called the Hiller Armament Company. The domain for Hillerarmco.com is no longer active.

Martin, an unarmed 17-year-old, was shot and killed by a neighborhood watch volunteer as he returned to his father's girlfriend's house after a trip to the convenience store. Martin was unarmed, but was carrying a bag of Skittles, a can of iced tea, and his wallet after he was shot by George Zimmerman, the watch volunteer. The shooting, and the local police's handling of it, have become major news stories and sparked national conversations around racial profiling and gun laws.

In the aftermath of the shooting, protesters calling for Zimmerman's arrest donned hoodies and waved Skittles at protests around the country.

According to WKMG, the seller said that that the "main motivation was to make money off the controversy." The seller said that he was a supporter of Zimmerman who thinks "he is innocent and that he shot a thug."

Mark O'Mara, Zimmerman's attorney, told the news station that he felt the targets were offensive. "This is the highest level of disgust and the lowest level of civility," O'Mara said. "It's this type of hatred -- that's what this is, it's hate-mongering -- that's going to make it more difficult to try this case."

http://www.huffingtonpost.c...lnk3%26pLid%3D160321
Jackdaniels

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-12-2012 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackdanielsSend a Private Message to JackdanielsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

This post has been updated to include additional information about the seller of the paper targets.

A Florida entrepreneur said he had sold out of gun range targets depicting a faceless, hood-clad figure holding an iced tea and a bag of Skittles meant to look like Trayvon Martin.

"The response is overwhelming," the seller told Orlando's WKMG news team over e-mail. "I sold out in two days." The station did not identify the seller, and said it found the ad on a popular firearms auctioning website.

A cached version of the GunBroker.com webpage belonging to a seller named "hillerarmco" from Virginia Beach, Va., shows the paper targets being sold in packs of 10 for $8.

The description of the product reads:

Everyone knows the story of Zimmerman and Martin. Obviously we support Zimmerman and believe he is innocent and that he shot a thug. Each target is printed on thick, high quality poster paper with a matte finish! The dimensions are 12"x18" ( The same as Darkotic Zombie Targets) This is a Ten Pack of Targets.

A Twitter account with the same name has been discontinued. A Google search on "hillerarmco" shows a company called the Hiller Armament Company. The domain for Hillerarmco.com is no longer active.

Martin, an unarmed 17-year-old, was shot and killed by a neighborhood watch volunteer as he returned to his father's girlfriend's house after a trip to the convenience store. Martin was unarmed, but was carrying a bag of Skittles, a can of iced tea, and his wallet after he was shot by George Zimmerman, the watch volunteer. The shooting, and the local police's handling of it, have become major news stories and sparked national conversations around racial profiling and gun laws.

In the aftermath of the shooting, protesters calling for Zimmerman's arrest donned hoodies and waved Skittles at protests around the country.

According to WKMG, the seller said that that the "main motivation was to make money off the controversy." The seller said that he was a supporter of Zimmerman who thinks "he is innocent and that he shot a thug."

Mark O'Mara, Zimmerman's attorney, told the news station that he felt the targets were offensive. "This is the highest level of disgust and the lowest level of civility," O'Mara said. "It's this type of hatred -- that's what this is, it's hate-mongering -- that's going to make it more difficult to try this case."

http://www.huffingtonpost.c...lnk3%26pLid%3D160321

Sounds good to me. The punk was street trash and admitted guilt as soon as he ran. Whatever happened will never be known. Dead punk thug and a guy on trial.....happens every day. Move on people.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

That's pretty tasteless. Still, $8 for a pack of 10 isn't a bad price. My range sells targets for $1-$2 each.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jackdaniels:
The punk was street trash and admitted guilt as soon as he ran.

Really ? He was a visitor in a strange neighborhood. He was being followed.
What exactly was he guilty of ? Carrying Skittles, being suspicious ? Zimmerman was suspicious of Treyvon.
Silentassassin185

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FBI may charge Zimmerman with hate crime

SANFORD, Fla. —

WFTV has learned charges against George Zimmerman could be getting more serious.

State prosecutors said Zimmerman, a neighborhood watchman, profiled and stalked 17-year-old Trayvon Martin before killing him, so the FBI is now looking into charging him with a hate crime.

Zimmerman admitted to killing Martin in February during a confrontation. However, he claims the shooting was in self-defense. He's facing a second-degree murder charge, which carries a maximum possible sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. But if Zimmerman is charged and found guilty of a federal hate crime involving murder, he could face the death penalty.

FBI investigators are actively questioning witnesses in the retreat at the Twin Lakes neighborhood, seeking evidence for a possible federal hate crime charge.

Martin was unarmed when he was shot to death, police said, and some accuse Zimmerman of targeting the teenager solely because of the color of his skin.

WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer said federal prosecutors would have to prove the hate crime to charge Zimmerman, though.

“What the government would have to prove is that Mr. Zimmerman acted out of hatred toward African-Americans. That's why he came into contact with him. That's why he shot and killed him," Sheaffer said.

Sheaffer said a federal hate crime murder charge could bring more serious consequences than the second-degree murder charge Zimmerman faces now.

“Mr. Zimmerman could be punished by up to life in prison or even the death penalty,” said Sheaffer.

Zimmerman said he used deadly force in self-defense after Martin punched him, knocked him to the ground and repeatedly slammed his head against a sidewalk.

As of late Monday, Zimmerman’s attorney, Mark O’Mara, told WFTV that he's gotten the first prosecution documents containing the evidence against his client. O’Mara said he's gotten a redacted witness list with 22 witnesses listed only as numbers.

O’Mara said he believes there are recorded interviews and some documents, but he said he hasn't even opened it yet.

Prosecutors are required to release information to the defense and the public

However, O'Mara, wants Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester Jr. to keep some of the key evidence, especially witness statements, out of the public eye by writing a motion to keep it sealed.

O'Mara posted a statement on Zimmerman's website that said, "We doubt any of them (witnesses) enjoy the scrutiny they are under due to the coincidence of their involvement in such a high-profile matter."

In the meantime, a photograph recently surfaced which is said to show Zimmerman's mother in the arms of her grandfather, who is black.

Zimmerman's mother testified at his bond hearing that she has met the black child whom he mentored and even risked his safety in a dangerous neighborhood to do it, because he didn't want to abandon the child.

State prosecutors said Zimmerman gave several inconsistent statements to Sanford police, which is, in part, their basis for charging him with second-degree murder.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FBI may charge Zimmerman with hate crime

[QUOTE]SANFORD, Fla. —

WFTV has learned charges against George Zimmerman could be getting more serious.

State prosecutors said Zimmerman, a neighborhood watchman, profiled and stalked 17-year-old Trayvon Martin before killing him, so the FBI is now looking into charging him with a hate crime.

Zimmerman admitted to killing Martin in February during a confrontation. However, he claims the shooting was in self-defense. He's facing a second-degree murder charge, which carries a maximum possible sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. But if Zimmerman is charged and found guilty of a federal hate crime involving murder, he could face the death penalty.

FBI investigators are actively questioning witnesses in the retreat at the Twin Lakes neighborhood, seeking evidence for a possible federal hate crime charge.

Martin was unarmed when he was shot to death, police said, and some accuse Zimmerman of targeting the teenager solely because of the color of his skin.

WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer said federal prosecutors would have to prove the hate crime to charge Zimmerman, though.

“What the government would have to prove is that Mr. Zimmerman acted out of hatred toward African-Americans. That's why he came into contact with him. That's why he shot and killed him," Sheaffer said.

Sheaffer said a federal hate crime murder charge could bring more serious consequences than the second-degree murder charge Zimmerman faces now.

“Mr. Zimmerman could be punished by up to life in prison or even the death penalty,” said Sheaffer.

Zimmerman said he used deadly force in self-defense after Martin punched him, knocked him to the ground and repeatedly slammed his head against a sidewalk.

As of late Monday, Zimmerman’s attorney, Mark O’Mara, told WFTV that he's gotten the first prosecution documents containing the evidence against his client. O’Mara said he's gotten a redacted witness list with 22 witnesses listed only as numbers.

O’Mara said he believes there are recorded interviews and some documents, but he said he hasn't even opened it yet.

Prosecutors are required to release information to the defense and the public

However, O'Mara, wants Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester Jr. to keep some of the key evidence, especially witness statements, out of the public eye by writing a motion to keep it sealed.

O'Mara posted a statement on Zimmerman's website that said, "We doubt any of them (witnesses) enjoy the scrutiny they are under due to the coincidence of their involvement in such a high-profile matter."

In the meantime, a photograph recently surfaced which is said to show Zimmerman's mother in the arms of her grandfather, who is black.

Zimmerman's mother testified at his bond hearing that she has met the black child whom he mentored and even risked his safety in a dangerous neighborhood to do it, because he didn't want to abandon the child.

State prosecutors said Zimmerman gave several inconsistent statements to Sanford police, which is, in part, their basis for charging him with second-degree murder.
[/QUOTE]
This is starting to get out of hand... its all the media that is causing this...
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not the FBI, it's Obama and his hench, or should I say, lynch men. They are absolutely frothing at the mouth at a chance to get whitey, and no matter what the courts rule, the black community headed by Obama and the Black Panthers will demand payback.Whether it be in blood, or prison time. Not suprisingly, Obama has still remained silent on the Trayvon motivated attacks on innocent civilians by his supporters. No word of the FBI charging these individuals with a hate crime either... And I wouldn't hold my breath waiting either until the racist in chief is ousted from the Whitehouse.
PFF
System Bot
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some reports that seem to support Zimmermans case saying that his family doctor indicated a broken nose, swelling on face etc. Also that Treyvon had bloodied knuckles.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/ge...on/story?id=16353532

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally linked by Silentassassin185:

Interesting. Now there are witnesses, ?
Silentassassin185

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There were IIRC 2 witnesses in the beginning. A teenager and someone who didn't want their information released. Or it may have been the same person I forget. I'll do some looking and see if I can't find it again.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Witnesses for a hate crime prosecution would have to have seen Zimmerman before the altercation and somehow known what was on his mind, unless they were with him and talking to him or if Zimmerman was for some reason shouting his thoughts so anyone nearby could hear him. (kind of makes the "stalking" bit hard to prove...)

Still, we don't know what evidence has been found, so we'll have to wait and see. I would think the verdict in the murder case would need to come first. If it was self-defense, I don't see how it could be a hate crime. Hate-defense?
Silentassassin185

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2...an-medical-injuries/

So where are all the nay sayers? The one's saying Zimmerman looked fine in the video? He took a beating from the sound of it.

Court records show George Zimmerman had a pair of black eyes, a nose fracture and two cuts to the back of his head.

As far as witnesses go
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com...n-shooting-case?lite

Many of the witness names were redacted from the eight-page filing, it said, though the names of family members of both victim and shooter who will be called were made public, including Martin’s parents and Zimmerman’s father.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats what I heard on court tv today. Zimmerman had cuts to the back of his head, swollen lips, 2 black eyes, broken nose, misc cuts and bruises. Martin apparently only had the gunshot wound and cuts on his hands.

Sounds to me like Martin is a typical thug that tried to beat up the white guy for being in his business.... before he found out ' whitey' had a gun.
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thats what I heard on court tv today. Zimmerman had cuts to the back of his head, swollen lips, 2 black eyes, broken nose, misc cuts and bruises. Martin apparently only had the gunshot wound and cuts on his hands.

Sounds to me like Martin is a typical thug that tried to beat up the white guy for being in his business.... before he found out ' whitey' had a gun.

The lynch mob doesn't care about any of this, they just want a hanging
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This should end up finally being an interesting thread. I wonder if Zimmerman will get the electric chair or the gas chamber.

Brad
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This should end up finally being an interesting thread. I wonder if Zimmerman will get the electric chair or the gas chamber.

Brad

Maybe they could take him somewhere where there were no witnesses, shoot him dead and claim self-defence.

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 05-16-2012).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 39 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock