Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  We Build a Perfect Union (Page 71)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 78 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
We Build a Perfect Union by Archie
Started on: 01-11-2006 09:04 PM
Replies: 3080 (367634 views)
Last post by: troyboy on 10-29-2016 12:55 PM
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2011 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

One of these. Or one of the models where the throttle body actually mounts on the rear, instead. Or a custom snout, and pulley cap, for the blower. If you want to pay the money to do it, it's not that hard to do.

What im saying is spin it around (standard Fiero fit) and get rid of the shaft driven pulley system, run the belt off the crank right to the pulley on the blower. it would be easier and gets rid of all the other pulleys and the shaft drive portion of the system. Bottom line is that you have to find someone who has a blower and put it on the car. I don't have the $$$ to just buy a $6K blower and then find out it wont work. Good luck and we are still trying to figure out what trans is going to hold 700+ HP.

Rob
IP: Logged
troyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2011 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here you go, this should do the trick.

they have it without the U-turn intake

[This message has been edited by troyboy (edited 12-27-2011).]

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2011 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Troy, you have a PM
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2011 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Troy, PM again
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2011 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Troy, PM again

Got it thanks
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

and the BUILD continues
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Joey dropping the chotop off at Archies

[This message has been edited by troyboy (edited 04-22-2012).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boogaloo

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Troy you are the man another step where no one has ever been before
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait to see how this turns out......

Jim
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is going to take quite a shoe horn, but I am sure Archie is up to the task.

So the big question is will you install it with the air inlet on the passenger side (where the PS pump, water pump, & thermostat housing already are) or will you rework the jack shaft setup to install it with the air intake over the transmission like the current intake is?
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the updates Archie.

Looks like they did a great job on the unit.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 05:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

troyboy

2075 posts
Member since Sep 2005

Originally posted by fieroguru:

That is going to take quite a shoe horn, but I am sure Archie is up to the task.

So the big question is will you install it with the air inlet on the passenger side (where the PS pump, water pump, & thermostat housing already are) or will you rework the jack shaft setup to install it with the air intake over the transmission like the current intake is?

It's going to be a tight fit but Edelbrock worked with Archie and this E-Force unit was built just for this car as a one off because they didn't have any units for an LS7 fiero in stock , so they built it using Archies specs. So far they have been great with support
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

It's going to be a tight fit but Edelbrock worked with Archie and this E-Force unit was built just for this car as a one off because they didn't have any units for an LS7 fiero in stock , so they built it using Archies specs. So far they have been great with support

So the intake stays on the passenger side? Nice unit.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

So the intake stays on the passenger side? Nice unit.

That's the plan, but it's large so some modifications to the strut tower and decklid hinge will have to be made but I'll let Archie address that.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

troyboy

2075 posts
Member since Sep 2005

[This message has been edited by troyboy (edited 04-25-2012).]

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

That should be a nice little quip on the car's build sheet at shows; "Custom one-off Edelbrock E-Force supercharger"

Any time frame in mind for the work? Not gonna miss too much of trophy season I hope?
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DROOOOOL... talk about taking it to the next level!!!

That's a LOT of HP about to be added to the car... talk about a neck snapper... sheesh... can anybody say, "power-to-weight ratio" and "boooooooooost"?

This is going to be one to watch for sure...
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me tell you all a bit of the background on what Troy & I have been doing.

Last November, Troy started us looking at Superchargers.

That set off a 4 month search.

We really wanted a Supercharger with a front drive & a rear intake. That would have allowed us to keep the TB on the Drivers side &

Not in order we looked at & contacted, Magnacharger, SLP, Kenne Bell, Harrop & a couple of others.

Kept looking for a front drive rear intake with the blower drive pulley in the middle of (or forward of the centerline of the engine to keep the blower drive pulley from interfering with the shock tower.

We couldn't even consider one of the shaft drive blowers that have a drive shaft on the Right side of the engine because the drive pulley would have been in the shock tower big time.

I personally talked to techs from all the above companies & checked out their height, width & the locations of the blower drives from all of the above blowers to see if they could fit in this car. While doing all of this was having Troy go out to his garage & take measurements so we could figure out how much space we had to work with.

Troy & I knew that to get a blower that had an intercooler in it, the blower most likely would have required a major mod to his decklid ........

For a time MagnaCharger was our focus & we talked back & forth over about 3 weeks. Their rep said that they were machining LS7 base manifolds. Then they admitted that they didn't have any base manifolds for the LS7 engine & didn't have any castings to make them out of. I was disappointed.

We got interested in this one from Harrop ...

Notice how the shaft is in the middle & the height stays lower because the shaft goes thru the intercooler & the horn for the T.B. at least points away from our shock tower.

Get excited that the search might be getting results. The Rep. I was talking to turned it over to the engineering dept. A few days later they send me this ...

Now even more excited........ then the let down.... they haven't actually built one of these yet & they don't have any castings for the lower intake manifold on the LS7. We would be the 1st..it would take 6 months before they could have castings to machine for an LS7.. We're thinking that AU is a long way away if any of this needs to be serviced or if parts have to exchanged back & forth to get it right.

Then back to the E-Force, we had walked right past the E-Force initially mostly because it's looks were kind plain & didn't look like the other blowers we were looking at.

It doesn't use a rear shaft drive, It's lower in profile because of the unique way the intercooler is done & the drive pulley is almost in the center. And if we use a certain combination of parts we can get the best SC for an LS7 in a Fiero that we're going to find.

We still have quite a few things to deal with a couple of issues but confidence is high.

About a week from now we'll be setting this intake on the engine in the car to see what our initial fit is & we'll go from there. Then we plan to pull the engine/transmission/cradle out of the car so we can design the belt drive & belt tensioner system.

Troy has a bunch of other stuff he wants to do on the car& we'll also be working on that as we go.

I want to say one more thing...... Edelbrock Made in USA..... The 2 guys that I have been working with at Edelbrock have been SUPER HELPFUL every step of the way.

Archie
Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will you be using the same tranny with the additional power of the supercharger ?.
PFF
System Bot
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 06:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boogaloo:

Will you be using the same tranny with the additional power of the supercharger ?.

Yep, Im not going to replace it until it fails, and if it does, I already have a plan for it.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I want to say one more thing...... Edelbrock Made in USA..... The 2 guys that I have been working with at Edelbrock have been SUPER HELPFUL every step of the way.

Archie

That's is perhaps the best thing I've heard in a long time. Made in the USA and with all three parties involved this build will no doubt be the baddest Fiero on the planet. GM should be looking at this car for ways to improve on the cars they make.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the modifications we will have to make to the S/C side covers for clearance, some of the coil packs will be exposed. You guys know how I feel about my Engine compartment, it has to look just as good as it performs and as good as the outside of the car...... so I found this on the Z06 forum Billet Ls7 coil pack covers

They looked great, but the thought of having to polish them was driving me crazy and you guys know I like chrome...... so out to the chrome shop they went. Found a great chrome shop in RI called D&D chrome plating, great price and crazy fast turn around. I shipped my parts to them on Monday 4/16 and they were back on my door step when I arrived home from work 4/23. They did a great job and more parts will be going to them soon.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Troy, you should find a nice sunny day ~mid 50's mid afternoon when traffic is lite & take this car out & just give it heck.

I just had it out, you know "Testing" (somebody has to test it, right?) & I feel 20 years younger.

Somebody has to have the burden of test driving & I guess it's on me.

BTW: the testing was to determine if I coud get the clutch to slip. Now that the tach is working properly (the guys that did the interior had the tach on the wrong setting, that's all that was wrong with it) I was able to test it in several different conditions & it appears that the "slipping" that you say you might have felt was really the rear tires spinning.

But, please don't think that I'm done testing it. It will have to be tested several more times before you get here.

Next time, I'll take the video camera along

Archie
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie
I have to tell you that I am Jealous

I would love to see what this car feels like....
That would be a dream come thru for me.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Troy, you should find a nice sunny day ~mid 50's mid afternoon when traffic is lite & take this car out & just give it heck.

I just had it out, you know "Testing" (somebody has to test it, right?) & I feel 20 years younger.

Somebody has to have the burden of test driving & I guess it's on me.

BTW: the testing was to determine if I coud get the clutch to slip. Now that the tach is working properly (the guys that did the interior had the tach on the wrong setting, that's all that was wrong with it) I was able to test it in several different conditions & it appears that the "slipping" that you say you might have felt was really the rear tires spinning.

But, please don't think that I'm done testing it. It will have to be tested several more times before you get here.

Next time, I'll take the video camera along

Archie

LOL, I know the feeling...

LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

So you feel 20 years younger so that should make you around 50 years old?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85LAMB:

Archie

I would love to see what this car feels like....
That would be a dream come thru for me.

I'm trying to grasp what's it's going to be like once we have the Supercharger installed.

Originally posted by LT188GT:
So you feel 20 years younger so that should make you around 50 years old?

LOL, I hear you're feeling pretty chipper lately too.

Archie

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some new toys to be installed during the upgrade

Archie is going to set them into the fiberglass IMSA sills
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2012 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First dry fit....

Archie
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2012 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the idea but the looks of the SC setup is going to kill the beauty of the engine bay....Gonna have to spice up the top cover to make the engine bay 'POP' like it did with the chrome intake....

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2012 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Love the idea but the looks of the SC setup is going to kill the beauty of the engine bay....Gonna have to spice up the top cover to make the engine bay 'POP' like it did with the chrome intake....

No kidding, what a brilliant observation
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2012 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No kidding, what a brilliant observation

Yeah..No kidding.....I agree I am brilliant.......
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2012 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

About
The Construction Zone (or TCZ in short) is a section where I will move the many great build threads to, as well as HowTos and other write-ups. Once in here, they get special treatment. The threads never get archived, and they will be kept as "clean" as possible, meaning the thread starter can request "noise" to be removed (like flames or other non-related posts).

Just sayin'.. Love the progress, those rocker sill plates are awesome!
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2012 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today, a bunch more fitting & planning. The biggest thing to figure out is how we're going to do the belt routing & we now have a plan for that.

Here's a pic of where we left it today.

Tomorrow, Troy will be here to go over all the other stuff he wants to do & help us pull the engine out.

Lots of info will come tomorrow.

Archie
Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2012 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Yeah..No kidding.....I agree I am brilliant.......

This thread is not about 3800.vs Chevy so if you are going to start something please go some where else and let us enjoy this interesting thread.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2012 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boogaloo:

This thread is not about 3800.vs Chevy so if you are going to start something please go some where else and let us enjoy this interesting thread.

I made a comment on the car that was not negative nor did I bring up anything about a different motor swap..Unsure where you and the other member that posted are getting your negative thoughts from. The comment I made was positive and giving a comment to the swap that is in the car before the change. I reply back to Archie's comment was somewhat smartazz but I was just returning the favor.....So take a deep breath, drink you a nice glass of ice tea and relax with deep breaths.....
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2012 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last night.

IwannaIRM

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2012 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a question.

Why remove the whole drive-train if the supercharger is a "bolt-on" unit? Is this because of the belt problem?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 78 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock