Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  We Build a Perfect Union (Page 34)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 78 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
We Build a Perfect Union by Archie
Started on: 01-11-2006 09:04 PM
Replies: 3080 (367636 views)
Last post by: troyboy on 10-29-2016 12:55 PM
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think I have ever seen a Fiero that high in the air...it looks painful, (for the car that is).

Wow I own page 34...that's two in a row, you would think I'm post counting or something (I'm not)

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 04-03-2008).]

IP: Logged
troyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2008 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie let's skip the cam upgrade, as you mentioned some of the reviews of that cam's characteristics are not favorable. So the 505 stock will do just fine.......for now
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2008 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

Archie let's skip the cam upgrade, as you mentioned some of the reviews of that cam's characteristics are not favorable. So the 505 stock will do just fine.......for now

NO2 that 427 for sh*ts and giggles
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2008 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gotta love mirrors that fold; we don't need any accidents, hehe.

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We've got a lot of progress in the last 2 days.

These pics should show you some of what's been going on.

Note that this is all trial fitting, the engine/trans/cradle will be all coming out of the car before it goes to paint. We'll be sending the cradle out for powdercoating that's why it isn't painted in these pics.

Archie

------------------

Sig by Custom2M4

Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow ..thats a beautiful chunk of aluminum ..look at those exhaust ports !
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

wow ..thats a beautiful chunk of aluminum ..look at those exhaust ports !

YEAH, I was going to say the same thing...... those things are huge. (<~~~ I always wanted to say that)

Archie
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

We've got a lot of progress in the last 2 days.

Archie

This is my favorite one. That is a thing of Beauty.

daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What clutch are you guys going to be using with that torque monster
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

This is my favorite one. That is a thing of Beauty.

I have to agree ..it says

I am the Alfa and the Omega and gosh darn it ..people like me!
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Erik

5625 posts
Member since Jul 2002
Once I seen that engine I had to take a step back
I

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 04-05-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What type of clutch will you use on it?
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alex I was wondering when you were going to ask that question.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I think Archie just found his new avatar!!!
CoryFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is what it will do in a Z06... how about a Fiero...
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoryFiero:

+ LS7 =
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I doubt you'd be able to achieve that top speed in a fiero based on its aerodynamics... I wouldnt want to try... I doubt the suspension would be stable at those speeds either.

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 04-08-2008).]

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

I doubt you'd be able to achieve that top speed in a fiero based on its aerodynamics... I wouldnt want to try... I doubt the suspension would be stable at those speeds either.

I wouldn't try going that speed in a F430, it's called two kids and a wife . But If I were crazy enough I think a modified fiero would hold it's own as far as aerodynamics with a stock Z06, and with the right modifications and wallet the suspension could too. But what do I know I'm not an engineer , and My life time top speed is 140mph at 21 years old and a box of rocks.

BTW: Archie update! update!

[This message has been edited by troyboy (edited 04-08-2008).]

AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont think a Fiero could reach those speeds. Too short of a wheel base, it would most likely end up doing one of these numbers...

[This message has been edited by AutoTech (edited 04-08-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AutoTech:

I dont think a Fiero could reach those speeds. Too short of a wheel base, it would most likely end up doing one of these numbers...

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen a full up race car do an end over end based on airflow alone.

And I have new respect for the Z06...was that 0 to 60 in first gear?! Compared to the worthless first in a Fiero that is amazing.

But 190 in a Fiero??? you have to remember that most aircraft take off at speeds less than that, so it would be real scary to go that fast in a Fiero.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 04-08-2008).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My fastest in a Fiero was 138 in a 55. That was in '89 on I-88 West of Chicago.

I kept my carbon copy of the ticket for years until the copy faded out.

State Trooper with a speed trap. I was living in MI at the time, it cost me $600 in Bond money to get out of the state of IL that day.

Archie
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AutoTech:

LOL there are some very important contributing factors that lead up to the flip. First off drafting another car (driving in"dirty air" ) ,secondly cresting a hill,third being at speed. Add those three factors , a car traveling at a high rate of speed + little aerodynamic downforce (from being in dirty air) + cresting a hill (which makes a car lite) = car pitching up and fliping over. Very similar to how a hydroplane boat would flip. Just don't draft going that fast and you'll be fine . . .. oh yeah stay on the flat straight roads too

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BTW: Archie update! update!

It's been 2 working days since the last update but we've got a lot done.

On Monday it was mostly trial fitting of the engine into the car & designing & making the prototype PS pump mount. Note, while we've finalized the PS pump mount design, the A/C mount will still have to be modified when we get the necessary idler pullies mounted.

Today the Coil covers came in. We had to trim them a bit to fit.

The headers here are the headers I use on the LS1,LS2 & LS3, The LS7 headers will have 1.75" primaries & 3" collectors. While the new headers are still being made, these headers give us a chance to make sure the new headers will have plenty of room.

At this point everything else we have to do to the engine mounting & belt routing can be done after the car has headed to paint.

Tomorrow will be dedicated to getting any more rust we can find on the chassis cleaned up & painting the chassis with POR15.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 04-08-2008).]

iamtylerdurden

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iamtylerdurdenSend a Private Message to iamtylerdurdenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With fully upgraded suspension, gearing and weight reduction (i know its hard to take even more weight out but as much as possible) wouldnt the LS7 fiero have the ability to accelerate faster than the z06?
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by iamtylerdurden:

With fully upgraded suspension, gearing and weight reduction (i know its hard to take even more weight out but as much as possible) wouldnt the LS7 fiero have the ability to accelerate faster than the z06?

I would say it depends on a lot of factors.

I'm definitely not trying to knock whats being done in this thread or to Troy's car. Its a damn nice car and I'd love to see that engine in there.

Its just that this car is a one off car and its not like its going through tons of research and development to be engineered as a super car, nor does it have prototypes that have been tested. The Corvette Z06 obviously has millions of dollars of research, prototypes, track sessions, engineers etc etc behind it. By putting their engine in a Fiero, it provides a lot of power but doesnt really let the fiero inherit the other areas of performance of the Z06. From what I see available on the market (for the fiero) in terms of suspension upgrades, transmission upgrades, and even aerodynamic "upgrades", I just can't see them working in harmony like a brand new Z06 will. (upgrades for aerodynamics in quotations because I dont think a single vendor here has wind tunnel tested their products)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you basically need a tube frame fiero race car to be able to duplicate the performance results of a Z06.

Obviously thats not the goal here either, so I hope I don't get flamed for this post haha.

Anyways, its good to see different things being done to this fiero. Its one of a kind, and in my opinion, probably going to be one of the fastest and best looking that I'll ever see.

------------------

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoryFiero:

Wow, that's mellow!!!!

I've been lucky enough to experience "flat-out" on the German Autobahn, and I have to say that most cars don't sound anywhere near that mellow at those speeds. Even cars that are electronically governed to 155mph, before they run out of breath (rpm) aren't this mellow.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Obviously thats not the goal here either, so I hope I don't get flamed for this post haha.

No flames from me your 100% right, to try and go 190 in a fiero would be nuts. Bolt it down on a set of tracks close your eyes, mash the gas, say a prayer and you might get there . For the record my spine will give out before this Fiero will, hahaha. LOL, I will most likely be driving at the same speeds as the corvette, porsche, and lambo guys do, 55mph plus an extra 20 to 35 when conditions permit. As far as a track run , I'm not sure my insurance guy would like that idea.

[This message has been edited by troyboy (edited 04-09-2008).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the crate motor, but IMO the LS7 looks way better in a Fiero. Like aged wine, this choptop is getting better with time.

Anyways, its good to see different things being done to this fiero. Its one of a kind, and in my opinion, probably going to be one of the fastest and best looking that I'll ever see.

I agree. Unlike Corvettes, but its hard trying to be the "top Dog" among the Corvette world and remain "different & unique" especially when GM is cranking out newer tweaked models very year. If both cars where side-by-side I would think more attention would be given to #022 vs a LS9.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 04-09-2008).]

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I missed it but I still would like to know what type of clutch will be used in this setup.
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Maybe I missed it but I still would like to know what type of clutch will be used in this setup.

The same one you have.

Archie
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that power steering pump will rob some power from the Ls7 ..are you sure you want to do that?
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

that power steering pump will rob some power from the Ls7 ..are you sure you want to do that?

There is probably enough extra to give up a few of those ponies. Hehe. I don't think there will be any need to tweek it for top performance.

Very nice work Archie. Fits much better then I thought it would. How hard is a tuneup going to be?
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the update Archie. I'm averaging 30 to 40 emails a day about this car , I do my best to answer them, and the tech questions I'm referring to you .

Edit: now I know why 4000+ hits in one week, I just looked at the count.

[This message has been edited by troyboy (edited 04-09-2008).]

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

troyboy

2075 posts
Member since Sep 2005

With 255 in the front I'm going to need it, plus the removal of the belt driven water pump will make up for the difference.
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

With 255 in the front I'm going to need it, plus the removal of the belt driven water pump will make up for the difference.
I was kidding about the power loss

What steering unit are you using ?

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today, whe whole chassis from the windshield back was treated, prep'ed & painted with POR15.

Tomorrow we do the front of the chassis.

There you go, finally a post that doesn't have pics of the LS7 in it.

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999

What steering unit are you using ?

You know, right now I don't know what PS unit we have. I got it from Street & Performance, they supply them to Hot Rodders & Street Rodders for use on all kinds of engine swaps.

Next time I call them, I'll have to ask what the exact application is.

Archie
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

There you go, finally a post that doesn't have pics of the LS7 in it.

Archie

Feel free to use

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 78 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock