Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  We Build a Perfect Union (Page 33)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 78 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
We Build a Perfect Union by Archie
Started on: 01-11-2006 09:04 PM
Replies: 3080 (367703 views)
Last post by: troyboy on 10-29-2016 12:55 PM
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Also we liked the idea that it's very likely that the LS7 will be the last engine improvement to the LS series of engines that doesn't involve a blower. So we decided that having the last, biggest & greatest N/A Corvette engine in his car would be unique enough.

Archie

That's why I like it... with $4 a gallon gasoline right around the corner here in the US, you are going to be seeing a lot more smaller displacement motors with blowers and turbos. I guess I'm old school where I prefer displacement.

BTW - I own page 33, and when is Troy's car going to be ready to go off to the paint shop?

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 03-28-2008).]

IP: Logged
Firefox

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

..........and when is Troy's car going to be ready to go off to the paint shop?

I believe the plan is to have Troy's dropped off and you're picked up....so were looking at next weekend, I believe?

CoryFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

650hp with the LS9?

Troyboy, after the LS7 you will have look up corvette shows and find that pack of corvettes you had a run in with earlier see if they want to play again.
AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

If any one wants one just let me know price will be around 20,000.$$$$.

Oh, ok!

Let me get that for you....

....uh....

do you take IOU's?

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoryFiero:

650hp with the LS9?

Troyboy, after the LS7 you will have look up corvette shows and find that pack of corvettes you had a run in with earlier see if they want to play again.

That would be fun , but one guy has a Z06 twin turbo ( he's now my friend because he thinks I'm crazy) . The funny part is that the word is out about the LS7 fiero in that group... I think we have lurkers. But truth be told they are great guy's and have invited me to shows.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefox:

..so were looking at next weekend, I believe?

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rixthetrick:

madcurl.... this one's for you..

Wrong person, but his heart was in the right place.

------------------

"Friends don't let friends drive stock"

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This puppy will have real paint on it real soon.

fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fog light placement Ideas and photoshops welcome.

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fourpoint9:

Thanks for the photo shop, but Archie would kill me if I make a change at this piont. I'm just going to wait for the new LED fog lights to hit the market and with the small size they can be place anywhere.
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the photo shop, but Archie would kill me if I make a change at this piont. I'm just going to wait for the new LED fog lights to hit the market and with the small size they can be place anywhere.

ROFLMAO
PFF
System Bot
fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie would kill me if I make a change at this piont.

I've heard that story before.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fourpoint9:

I've heard that story before.

honest, this time I mean it. NO MORE CHANGES... time for paint.

I'll be at Archie's for the finale view before paint this month, I'll have Curly with me to keep me under control... .... Yep I'm screwed

[This message has been edited by troyboy (edited 03-31-2008).]

AutoTech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll have Curly with me to keep me under control....... Yep I'm screwed

LOL, tell me that aint the truth
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll be at Archie's for the finale view before paint this month, I'll have Curly with me to keep me under control...

When are you guys coming out? This weekend?
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefox:

When are you guys coming out? This weekend?

MON 21 - WED 23
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

.......... I'll have Curly with me to keep me under control... .... Yep I'm screwed

Isn't that like using a match to check the gastank? :roflmao:

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coming up tonight on the late news:

We begin the LS7 swap........

Tune in.

Archie
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know my rights. I plead the 5th.

------------------

"Friends don't let friends drive stock"

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Coming up tonight on the late news:

We begin the LS7 swap........

Tune in.

Archie

Great news!! This is just what the doctor ordered after one of those days at work

[This message has been edited by troyboy (edited 04-01-2008).]

DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MON 21 - WED 23

Road trip on the 22nd......................

PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We've done a lot of work to The Perfect Union in the last months. Some of it has been covered here and there are still other things to show you. I'll update that stuff later.

Today, it's all about the LSx series of engines in general & the LS7 in particular.

I'm so excited about the Ls series of engines that I can't stand it.

Let me share some of that with you.

All of the LS7 engines are built & test ran by hand at the Wixom Performance Build Center in Wixom, MI by GM & the UAW.

The 1st thing you notice when you look at the engine is the tag on the intake manifold.

Our engine was built by Dale Swenson....

Look at the size of those exhaust ports & the Dry Sump Oil Pan....

When we put any LSx engine in a Fiero we have to make a slight modification to the oil pan & we always turn the intake manifold around.

So we have to take the oil pan & Intake manifold off right away.

Join us for the fun of taking apart a $14000.00 engine.......

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
On the oil pan we have to make a modification in the area of this little plate above the oil filter.....

To make it so we can turn around the intake manifold, we have to modify this oil pressure sender boss.....

I'll show more details about that later. For now we can just enjoy what we can see when we have the oil pan & intake manifold off.....

Wow, what excitement, how about an oil pan that doesn't store oil......

The fun thing is what you can see with the pan off....... tell us what you see in these pics.....

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
One majopr thing that helps when you're turning the intake manifold around is that the bottom of the intake manifold doesn't seal to the valley to keep the oil in the engine. All of the LSx engines have a Valley Cover. Also note in this pic the oil pressure sender mount that sticks up from the Valley cover, we have to modify that to turn the intake around.

Then there's this view....

I like this series of pictures.....

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999

Originally posted by DL10:

Cool, make it in the morning, we might be taking a road trip of our own in the late afternoon.

Archie
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that is a work of art..those intake ports and titanium rods are very impressive. looks like the main caps are diamond cut. They are steel ?? Where are you going to put the oil reservoir??

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 04-01-2008).]

GTGeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DL10:

So Dave,

What up with the GBCT? It looked a little dusty last week when I saw it.

Troy,

I did offer Archie my car as the test mule for your LS7. I would love to be there when you guys show up but I don't think Archie and Mark will have my car ready.

Until the Dells,
Jeff
TiredGXP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TiredGXPSend a Private Message to TiredGXPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Archie, this is probably the only time I'm going to see inside an LS7.

I'm interestted in how you are planning on modifying the OPSU boss. Anything like this?

That's the change made to an LS4 valley cover so I could install an LS6 intake.

[This message has been edited by TiredGXP (edited 04-02-2008).]

Ditkaphile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DitkaphileSend a Private Message to DitkaphileEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just want to say thank you. I get to sit here and read about a freakin' LS7 being put into a bitchin Fiero (rhymes with Camaro, it works).

I have some work to do in other areas before I can call Archie, and have enough cash to do it. But you know what? It is just awesome to sit here and read this stuff...there is a "Fiero" God. Thank you for laying the groundwork which insures that Fiero lives...and lives well.
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The fun thing is what you can see with the pan off....... tell us what you see in these pics.....

I've never seen a dry sump system before but that is not what I thought it looked like. Is it some sort of hybrid system? I thought that there wouldn't be a oil pickup tube at all in the pan but simply a tube connected to the side which sucked the oil out via an external pump.

It looks like there is an oil pump which is inside the crankcase somewhere which picks up the oil and sends it to the reservoir tank?
JazzMan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post04-02-2008 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In any dry sump system you have to have some means to collect the oil and send it to at least one common pickup point; the LS7 pan basically does that. Oil flies off the crank and rods, etc, and runs to the bottom of the pan where it's picked up. Dry-sump systems are also designed to prevent air sucked in from the various pickup points from being pumped through the block, normally the reservoir serves the purpose of separating the oil and air.

JazzMan
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I learned something today... I guess all dry sump systems have at least two oil pumps. One to pump oil from the pan, and another to pump oil to the engine.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
would love to see the fluid dynamics of the oil through the slot of the windage tray ..I bet GM has a video
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

That engine is a beauty. Those ports look like my AFR CNC ported ones. Of course they are. Just stock from GM. Awesome!
ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Join us for the fun of taking apart a $14000.00 engine.......

WTF

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys.

We're working on it again today, so count on more pics tonight.

Archie
GTGeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry to horn in but since the recent topic is LS7s:

Archie,

Here is the crate engine source we discussd for my Stinger II, IMSA widebody convertible project last week.

www.katechengines.com/stree.../engine_packages.php

We made a fender badge for them last year. Just waiting for a good donar car, Katech's vendor discount, and
my Powerball winnings.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TiredGXP: Yes the modification to the valley cover is similar to yours.

We only have to do this mod when we turn the intake around on the LS2, LS3 & LS7.

On the LS1 & LS6 the oil fitting is a lot lower and a simple fitting can be used to turn the OPS away from the intake.

We modified this today (along with the oil pan) & I took them over to be welded.

Was

Now

On the oil pan there are 2 holes just above the Oil filter.....

One is oil out & the other is oil in. On every LS engine I've seen so far GM just puts a cover on those holes (pictured above) that just turns the oil around to go back towards the oil pan. This cover is in the way of the only place we can mount a starter. So we drill a hole inside the oil pan to bypas the need for this cover & then we weld the holes closed. I don't have good pics of this mod on Troy's oil pan today so here are a few pics from my files.

These are from Doc John's car.

We also got a lot of prep done on the new engine cradle & we've got the underside of the chassis almost ready for paint.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 04-02-2008).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Also to show you what we've been doing underneath the car in the last few days.

Archie

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's one way to change brake pads.....
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 78 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock