Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  Low Profile Twin Headlight Buckets (Page 9)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 39 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39 
Previous Page | Next Page
Low Profile Twin Headlight Buckets by Fiero1Fan
Started on: 12-13-2006 11:49 AM
Replies: 1521
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 11-12-2009 03:43 PM
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero1Fan:

For the buckets going to Canada and the US the delivery time is between 3 to 4 weeks.

Thanks for getting the buckets out so quickly Timo.
3-4 weeks is cutting close to Daytona and I hope to have them in by then.
Anyone have measurements for harness lengths so I can get a head start?

Randy
IP: Logged
Marvin McInnis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Intel:

I have two set of Hella high beams one with regular H9 halogen and one set with Hella HID high beams (NOT cheap over the counter)...but legal over here. The module is the same just another fitting on the rear of the housing.

That would make sense. The Hella 90 mm high beam modules are a free-form reflector design, not a projector, so they have no focusing lenses or other internal optics.

That said, I haven't tested the 90 mm high beams with the H8/H9/H11 HID conversion lamps myself. I don't think HID high beams are a particularly good idea, though, due to the several-second turn-on time of HID bulbs. Plus, the manufacturers state that the life of HID bulbs is substantially reduced if they are not allowed to cool for several minutes between start-ups.
Intel

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IntelSend a Private Message to IntelDirect Link to This Post
I totally agree that the life of the HID would be shortened. The startup time of the hella HID high beam is less than half a second so that's not an issue. The asian HID conversion kit takes between two or three seconds to kick in.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Intel:

The startup time of the hella HID high beam is less than half a second so that's not an issue.

They may take several seconds longer to achieve full brightness, though. But even assuming half a second, at 120 km/h (74 mph) you will travel 17 meters (54 feet) during that brief time.

Of course, if you have wired your HID low beams to operate continuously (a good idea anyway), high beam startup time will be a non-issue.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 02-12-2007).]

midengineracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for midengineracerClick Here to visit midengineracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to midengineracerDirect Link to This Post
Wiring them up is mentioned ealier, there were several ways to do it. The one I like best is using dedicated power lines for the bulbs and using the dimmer switch to activate a relay for the high beams. It adds a couple more relays but provides the best electrical path for the big power conusmer in the vehicle. Unless you have a big aftermarket amp, anyway!
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Anyone have measurements for harness lengths so I can get a head start?

Randy

I used 15" lengths of cable for the temp harness I made.

This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

That was so that I could push the OEM connector into the cavity behind the motor and get it out of the way.

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 02-12-2007).]

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
For those in the US and Canada that need the 90mm Hella light modules, I have a Group buy going on. The cost will be approx 50 bucks each. In order to pull it off we must buy a total of 20 lights. Please see my thread if interested.

[This message has been edited by topcat (edited 02-12-2007).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

I used 15" lengths of cable for the temp harness I made.

That was so that I could push the OEM connector into the cavity behind the motor and get it out of the way.

Thanks Timo,
I'll try to get started on the harness soon then. By the time the buckets arrive all should have to do is paint them and install the lights and then install in the car.
Hope we see a lot of these at Daytona.
swisscheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for swisscheeseClick Here to visit swisscheese's HomePageSend a Private Message to swisscheeseDirect Link to This Post

to do is paint them

Uhh, almost forgot about that! thanks for pointing that out!
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Remember when painting these buckets you need to use some 600+ sandpaper to lightly scuff up the zink coating . Then use a primer for galvanized metal. After the primer you can paint them what ever color you please.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

... you need to use some 600+ sandpaper ... Then use a primer for galvanized metal. After the primer you can paint them what ever color you please.

Good advice! Many common paints do not adhere well to bare zinc galvanizing, and will peel badly if the surface isn't prepared properly before painting. There are primers and paints made for just this purpose. Powder coating and latex-acrylic (not ordinary water-based latex) paints seem particularly well suited for application over galvanized steel.

Also, galvanized surfaces should be cleaned using a moderately alkaline cleaner in water before sanding. Using a Scotchbrite pad to scrub when cleaning might even be better than sanding afterwards. You want to do everything you can to encourage the paint to stick.

See Painting Hot-Dip Galvanized Steel for lots more information.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 02-14-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Marvin you keep coming up with some good info. Thanks.
Team Race-Tech

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post

Remember when painting these buckets you need to use some 600+ sandpaper to lightly scuff up the zink coating . Then use a primer for galvanized metal. After the primer you can paint them what ever color you please.

Can it be powder coated?

Timo do the lights come with some type of cover or finished frame? Something like whats on the fiero now?

Joe
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Team Race-Tech:

Can it be powder coated?

Timo do the lights come with some type of cover or finished frame? Something like whats on the fiero now?

Joe

The short answer is YES they can be powder coated, however I believe the powder coating is generally too thick to allow proper installation of the Hella screw adjuster parts in the steel face plate. You'd have to scrape away the powder coating, or very carefully mask in those small areas. I'm going with paint. IF it's possible to install the screw adjuster "buttons" first and then mask them off for paint I'll likely give it a try.

Randy

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
I am going to powder coat mine. I will use a screw with a head just the right size to cover where the plastic inserts for the screws will fit so that they stay clean.
No the buckets don't have a finished cover. Rodney and Randye both have ideas for covering them. You could also have them dipped in plastic to give them a covering.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005
For those wanting to pay but don't have or don't want to use PayPal you can also make payments per International Bank to Bank transfer.
My bank info for an International Bank to Bank transfer are:

BIC: GENODEF1LSR
IBAN: DE37 5066 1639 0007 7160 44

Simply give these numbers to your bank with the amount you wish to transfer.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fiero1Fan:

I am going to powder coat mine. I will use a screw with a head just the right size to cover where the plastic inserts for the screws will fit so that they stay clean.
QUOTE]

Hmmm, you're causing me to maybe change my mind Timo.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Hmmm, you're causing me to maybe change my mind Timo.

Don't you just love decisions?? The damnation of choice.......
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

The damnation of choice.......

My gearhead friends and I call it Analysis Paralysis.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

My gearhead friends and I call it Analysis Paralysis.

I get that, in the cereal isle at the grocery store....

Kevin

Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

The short answer is YES they can be powder coated, however I believe the powder coating is generally too thick to allow proper installation of the Hella screw adjuster parts in the steel face plate. You'd have to scrape away the powder coating, or very carefully mask in those small areas. I'm going with paint. IF it's possible to install the screw adjuster "buttons" first and then mask them off for paint I'll likely give it a try.

Randy

If you want to powder coat them, and want the powder to stick long term, the galvinization will need to be stripped off first. Powder does not adhere well to zinc. Simple sandblasting will not do it either, it takes a LOT of sandblasting to fully remove it. It can help to soak the part in a diluted muratic acid to break down the zinc.

Properly applied, powder is not that thick. There are differant make-ups of powder, and all have differant mill thicknesses, but when you see thickly applied powder, it almost always has a short lifespan. Just like paint, powder is not supposed to be overly thick. There should be no reason to have to scrape away the powder build-up.

I have read a lot of this thread but may have missed if this is an option. I would recomend if you want to paint or powder coat the brackets instead of the galvinized look, to order them in bare, uncoated metal. You will be a lot happier in the long run with the finished product.
PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Just in case you guys want a "stock" finish.
POR-15 makes a "Chassis Black" topcoat that will stick to the zinc extremely well and give it the semi-gloss stock look.
(POR-15 uses zinc based primers for their coatings)
It is designed to be used on top of the POR-15, But according to their customer service people it will work great over galvanized metal.
I already have a can of chassis black so when the buckets arrive I will most like use it to paint them.

http://www.marine-paint.com...hassiscoat-black.htm

User Guide - ChassisCoat Black Topcoat
A semi-gloss, non-UV sensitive black coating that duplicates the original frame suspension and firewall finish used by U.S. manufacturers. This incredible coating is non-porous yet flexible, and is Hammer-Tough!

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
ChassisCoat Black is a permanent black coating developed for application over painted and unpainted surfaces.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 02-14-2007).]

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Electrathon, thanks for the heads up on the powder to zink. I didn't know that. I guess I'll just be Painting mine then.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Electrathon, thanks for the heads up on the powder to zink. I didn't know that. I guess I'll just be Painting mine then.

OK, my head is spinning now..

powder = good
powder = bad
paint =bad
some kinds of paint = good

I think I'll just cover em' with a black magic marker and be done with it

Randy

------------------
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic,
except for my friends deep inside the earth.

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Some paints and powder won't stick to zink. When I repainted my gas tank on the Lady I had to use a zink based primer before painting.

So Painting is good with the right primer.

Electrathon is a pro on powder coating so when he says Powder won't stick to zink that is good enough for me.
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

OK, my head is spinning now..

powder = good
powder = bad
paint =bad
some kinds of paint = good

I think I'll just cover em' with a black magic marker and be done with it

Randy

It's not easy to get much to stick to zinc. It is good at stopping rust, not good as an undercoating. the POR product is likely a good choice. Or if you like the galvinized look, just leave them alone.
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

Electrathon

5233 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Electrathon is a pro on powder coating so when he says Powder won't stick to zink that is good enough for me.

It will sort of stick, but will chip easily. Sort of defeats the purpose of using powder.
lildevil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
I am transfering the money thru PayPal tonite. Keep me informed that the transfer went through and when the buckets will be shipped thanks.

------------------
Fiero w/ 1998 Supercharged 3.8 V-6 Intercooled
Best ET: 12.20@ 114.90 mph (street tires)
11.74@115 mph (drag radials)
VIDEO-http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1ecf6afb-a616-4882-b460-cb5602c47869.htm

"NO Juice....Just BOOST!"

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
lildevil PM sent.
cornersonrails

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2007 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post
Any word on the rectangular buckets being ready yet ?
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2007 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
The rectangulars will be done soon. I need a set for my T-Top so I am waiting too.
PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2007 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Electrathon:

[Powder coating] will sort of stick, but will chip easily. Sort of defeats the purpose of using powder.

See Powder Coating Over Hot-Dipped Galvanized Steel, from Powder Coating magazine, February, 2004.

As in painting, surface preparation is the key. It appears that applying a Zinc Phosphate conversion treatment might be a simple and effective preparation step before powder coating (or painting) over galvanized steel. Conversion treatments (e.g. Alodine) are also widely used to prepare aircraft aluminum for painting or powder coating.

Timo ... Do you know if your shop is chromating the parts after galvanizing them? While chromating "passivates" the zinc surface and protects it from corrosion, it apparently can also interfere with the adhesion of subquent paint or powder coatings.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 02-15-2007).]

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2007 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
There is no chromatin involved (as far as I know) just normal galvanization. I asked the man about painting over the zink and he said that there would be no problem if a good zink based primer is used. I used a zink primer on my gas tank and it worked great. I used a sand paper to get rid of the oxidized top layer on the tank and then primered it. Waited 2 days to be sure it was hard and then painted it yellow of course. Came out excellant.

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 02-16-2007).]

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
I still have 5 sets looking for a good home.

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 02-16-2007).]

carbonfiber_kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonfiber_kidSend a Private Message to carbonfiber_kidDirect Link to This Post
Sent you a P.M.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbonfiber_kid:

Sent you a P.M.

PM received and returned.
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I HAVE MY SET IN MY HANDS !

They look well made, may try a testfit this weekend (still have to order the Hella lights). May even not paint these buckets if the galvanised look works nice with the rest of my Fiero...
Nice product Timo

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanDirect Link to This Post
Arrived today!

Thanks Timo. Look great
Kristian V

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kristian VSend a Private Message to Kristian VDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

I HAVE MY SET IN MY HANDS !

You beat me to it.

Only the left one in the picture, but i asure everyone, the other one looks just as good.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
P.M. Sent.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

Relax! You've managed to suck all of the fun out of the room.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 39 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock