Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  Low Profile Twin Headlight Buckets (Page 33)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 39 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39 
Previous Page | Next Page
Low Profile Twin Headlight Buckets by Fiero1Fan
Started on: 12-13-2006 11:49 AM
Replies: 1521
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 11-12-2009 03:43 PM
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2009 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
bump
IP: Logged
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2009 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero1Fan:

Sorry, no I haven't.

Once you get a chance to, please do. I'm really interested in having DOT/ECE approved Xenon (HID) headlights in the Fiero. I've been spoiled driving cars with razor sharp cutoffs and enough visibility from the low beams, I forget what high beams were for.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2009 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
This is the last bump before I put them in eBay.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2009 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

This is the last bump before I put them in eBay.

I'm confused. Are you going to stop making these?
Or are you readying a 2nd generation of these?
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2009 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
I just would like to get these 6 sets finally sold. I'll be making more.....
Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2009 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2009 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bridgetown:

PM sent

PM answered.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2009 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005
5 sets left.
TEXASGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
User Banned

Report this Post03-05-2009 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post
Hi how much are they shipped to 77006 Houston Texas USA

What does the kit come with?

HID options?
Go Speed Go

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Go Speed GoSend a Private Message to Go Speed GoDirect Link to This Post
Hi I would like to know a total price for a set of the headlight buckets to Hoopeston IL, 60942. And how to order a set of these.

Thanks Ken Sweet
laiho1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for laiho1Send a Private Message to laiho1Direct Link to This Post
whats the going price for these shipped to 32534
PFF
System Bot
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys,

Total price shipped anywhere in the lower 48 states is $247 US.

I have the 5 sets still here waiting on new homes.

No lights come with the buckets. They are designed for the Hella 90mm H9 light modules.
The Hella light modules are available here: http://www.rallylights.com/...eadlamp_Modules.aspx
Payment is per PayPal to Fiero1Fan@fieros.eu . If you don't have PayPal other options are possible, just let me know.

F1F

------------------
The Steel Lady: Pix to follow........

http://www.fieros.eu

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 03-05-2009).]

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005
PM's sent to TEXASGT, Go Speed Go and laiho1.
Go Speed Go

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Go Speed GoSend a Private Message to Go Speed GoDirect Link to This Post
Just sent you a payment for the twin headlight buckets. Thanks
tmur115

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tmur115Send a Private Message to tmur115Direct Link to This Post
are these still avalibe?

=todd=
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Go Speed Go:

Just sent you a payment for the twin headlight buckets. Thanks

Payment received. Thanks.
They will go out the first of next week.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005

Originally posted by tmur115:

are these still avalibe?

=todd=

Yes I still have 4 sets left.

------------------
Fiero1Fan

Fieros Europe

tmur115

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tmur115Send a Private Message to tmur115Direct Link to This Post
payments made... please advise on shipping date (also if you need a physical addy) if po box would work thats great

lmk
=todd=
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tmur115:

payments made... please advise on shipping date (also if you need a physical addy) if po box would work thats great

lmk
=todd=

Hi Todd,

I'll let Stu get in touch with you on the shipping info as he is the one who handles that end of it.

BTW, thanks for your order.

F1F
TEXASGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
User Banned

Report this Post03-11-2009 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post
are you going to make more or is this it?
labbe001

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2009 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Direct Link to This Post
So w/ this set includes the buckets only for a price of $245? And then the 4 lights themselves have to be purchased at $59.75 a piece for a total of $484.00 to do the entire conversion? Am I correct in that? I mean don't get me wrong...i'm not complaining about the price at all i'm just wanting to do this conversion and i'm trying to figure up what the total package would be.
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2009 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Question about ECE spec.

While not street legal in the US, does the ECE Halogen spec still provide for the clean "cutoff" line that the ECE HID spec does?

That is what I am looking for in a light. I will buy the ECE spec Hella lamps and just run with those if they do what I want.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2009 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by labbe001:

So w/ this set includes the buckets only for a price of $245? And then the 4 lights themselves have to be purchased at $59.75 a piece for a total of $484.00 to do the entire conversion? Am I correct in that? I mean don't get me wrong...i'm not complaining about the price at all i'm just wanting to do this conversion and i'm trying to figure up what the total package would be.

Yes, your calculations are correct.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2009 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Question about ECE spec.

While not street legal in the US, does the ECE Halogen spec still provide for the clean "cutoff" line that the ECE HID spec does?

That is what I am looking for in a light. I will buy the ECE spec Hella lamps and just run with those if they do what I want.

Yes the Hella ECE Halogens provide a good clean cut off. As for other manufactures I can give you no information as I have only used and tested the Hella brand.
I do not recommend the ECE spec lights to be used in the US.

------------------
Fiero1Fan

Fieros Europe

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2009 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005
3 sets left.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2009 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Yes the Hella ECE Halogens provide a good clean cut off. As for other manufactures I can give you no information as I have only used and tested the Hella brand.
I do not recommend the ECE spec lights to be used in the US.

What is the light pattern from the DOT spec? I like the cutoffs like the ECE spec lights have. Anything to prevent blinding other drivers, yet having enough light on low beam to see quite well.

Are the H9 and H7 bulbs interchangeable in the housing? If I went with the ECE spec, would I be able to use the H9 bulbs?

I realize ECE is not recommended for US roadways, but they tend to provide more light to the front and sides, and less "scatter".
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2009 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Synthesis

12207 posts
Member since Feb 2002

What is the light pattern from the DOT spec? I like the cutoffs like the ECE spec lights have. Anything to prevent blinding other drivers, yet having enough light on low beam to see quite well.

Are the H9 and H7 bulbs interchangeable in the housing? If I went with the ECE spec, would I be able to use the H9 bulbs?

I realize ECE is not recommended for US roadways, but they tend to provide more light to the front and sides, and less "scatter".

Answered my own question by looking on HIDPlanet. I realize this covers more HID than the Halogen Hella lamps....

Quoted from HIDPlanet.
Let me help out on some of these questions.

DOT cutoff has a short slope between the cutoff lines, this allows them to be aimed higher without blinding traffic. The DOT design also incorporates a way to let small amounts of light out above the cutoff to reflect off road sign on the right, as you can see from the faint upward flare of light. Here is a DOT valeo projector cutoff.

ECE also known as E-code is what they use in Europe. Alot of these projectors have different bowl designs and can offer increased light output based on the design. The most important part of an HID projectors performance comes from the bowl. The lens can be changed to make a sharper cutoff with clear lens, but the actual output beam is controled by the bowl shape behind the lens. The cutoff also has a much larger slope, and there is no light above the cutoff because Europe has lit road signs. If you use E-code projectors in the USA, they must be aimed lower so they don't blind traffic. Here is a cutoff from the E46 BMW M3 ECE projectors.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Now for the question about putting hid bulb in a halogen housing, you cannot do this. Any reflector or projector designed for a halogen bulb will not work with hid. the reason is the different ways the two bulbs emit light. Halogen has a small filament in the center of the bulb, whereas hid has a very large arc tube that emits light. The two require completely different optic design for the lens. The hid reflector and projector are designed based on the geometry of the hid bulb and how it emits light. This is why the oem hardware works so well.

Now if you decide to go with a cheap kit and throw it in a halogen housing, bad things will happen. One, there will be alot of stray light (glare) above the cutoff line which will shine directly into drivers eyes. This is very dangerous due to the angle and brightness of the light. Also, you will have areas on the road where there is no light, and areas with more light. This produces hot spots, or uneven areas of lighting. While some kits provide decent ground light, much of it is lost above the cutoff and never makes it to the ground. in addition, halogen headlamps just do not provide a wide enough beam to really put the extra hid light to use. For example, lets put an H4 rebased hid kit into this civic halogen reflector. Look what happens on the wall, the cutoff is nothing but a large blob, and there is alot of light above the blob where there should not be any.

Now lets take a look at the ground. While this kit provides acceptable results, the beam is still similar to stock. There is alot of foreground missing, and the beam does not go very far or wide.

Now what happens if we switch to an oem hid projector and look at the ground. There is perfectly even lighting all around, stretching out from the edge of the bumper to the far distance. Also look how wide you can see to the left and right, into the field.

And another to show how much wider the beam is. Since hid is so bright, engineers can adjust the projector to output a much more spread out beam. Halogen projectors on the other hand must focus light more to a smaller area.

Now look what happens when you put a real hid projector up against a wall. Instead of a big fuzz, you get a sharp straight line with light below and darkness above to limit glare to other drivers.

obsidmoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2009 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for obsidmoeSend a Private Message to obsidmoeDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Thank you Thank you for this design!!! You and Stu both are very prompt and professional in dealing with. I love this upgrade! It really makes the Fiero stand out at night. Now for the 355 nose to come back to life errrrrr. This is a first post here for myself. I did however, buy "cera" here... https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/045013.html she is great! Thank you guys on this forum, i plan on being more active as time permits. enough hijacking.....go buy a set of these already
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2009 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
2 sets left

------------------
Fiero1Fan

Fieros Europe

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2009 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

2 sets left

PLEASE hold one set for me. Just waiting for my returns to come in...
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2009 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Synthesis, thank you for posting this. Hopefully the more explanations like this are posted, the more people will stay away from eBay special "HID conversion kits". Those things are downright scary and the reason true HID gets such a bad reputation.

Now: how much clearance is missing exactly for the 90mm Hella HID's (ECE, or DOT) to actually work? Anybody got pics?
PFF
System Bot
Jarhead 2m4

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2009 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Direct Link to This Post
I am going to want a second set in the near future.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2009 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

If I went with the ECE spec, would I be able to use the H9 bulbs?

No. H9 is used only in the DOT module, H7 is used only in the ECE module. FWIW, the 90mm HID module uses a D2S capsule and is both DOT and ECE compliant.

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

... how much clearance is missing exactly for the 90mm Hella HID's (ECE, or DOT) to actually work?

The low beam HID module is 0.760 inches (19.3 mm) longer than the corresponding H9 halogen module, and all of that extra length is behind the mounting ears.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 03-13-2009).]

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2009 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jarhead 2m4:

I am going to want a second set in the near future.

I will have more of them also in the near future so you're covered.

------------------
Fiero1Fan

Fieros Europe

Jarhead 2m4

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

The low beam HID module is 0.760 inches (19.3 mm) longer than the corresponding H9 halogen module, and all of that extra length is behind the mounting ears.

So if the HID module was adjusted to stick out further forward in the bucket, this could work? To me that doesn't seem too impossible. I wouldn't want it, but it sounds doable.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
There isn't enough room to adjust the lamp far enough forward to get it to fit.
The sides of the bucket would have to be extended forward 25 mm (don't forget the dust cap that goes on the end).
Then the lower mount tabs would also have to be extended 29 mm to adjust for the extra reach.
The stress on the three mounting holes increases by a factor of 2,783 nm because of the weight being farther forward
to include the weight of the lid and the downward pull of the lid springs.
To handle the extra stress the walls of the buckets would have to be increased to 2.5 - 3 mm steel.
The front plastic lip that is used to block wind from entering below the lights would have to be seriously modified to 1/2 its original depth
to still be use able and then look like trash. The top front of the bucket would rub along the front lip of the head-light opening when opening and closing so the front lip of the opening would have to be modified. All of the above would then cause the motors to fail at a high rate of frequency.

The Research & Development to effect the change along with the program changes to the laser cutting program would cost 800€, and this kind of expense and amount of work is just not feasible. Neither for me to produce nor for others to implement.

The buckets I have designed and produce are the best compromise between easy installation, function and style that I have been able to come up with.

The buckets are not and will not be designed for the HID housings. I do not recommend anyone using them in my buckets because if I did someone will try to use cheap, blinding lights from some fly-by-night manufacturer and be blinding all on coming traffic and then cause an accident.

I hope this lays to rest the discussion of HIDs in my buckets as this will be the last time I address the subject.

------------------
Fiero1Fan

Fieros Europe

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 03-14-2009).]

Go Speed Go

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Go Speed GoSend a Private Message to Go Speed GoDirect Link to This Post
Hi FieroFan1,
I recieved the buckets today and they are very nice. I was really suprised that it only took a week to get these. Thank you very much for the great service.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Go Speed Go:

Hi FieroFan1,
I received the buckets today and they are very nice. I was really surprised that it only took a week to get these. Thank you very much for the great service.

That is sure good to hear. Glad to hear that you like them. I expect pictures as soon as you have them in.

------------------
Fiero1Fan

Fieros Europe

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

There isn't enough room to adjust the lamp far enough forward to get it to fit.
The sides of the bucket would have to be extended forward 25 mm (don't forget the dust cap that goes on the end).
Then the lower mount tabs would also have to be extended 29 mm to adjust for the extra reach.
The stress on the three mounting holes increases by a factor of 2,783 nm because of the weight being farther forward
to include the weight of the lid and the downward pull of the lid springs.
To handle the extra stress the walls of the buckets would have to be increased to 2.5 - 3 mm steel.
The front plastic lip that is used to block wind from entering below the lights would have to be seriously modified to 1/2 its original depth
to still be use able and then look like trash. The top front of the bucket would rub along the front lip of the head-light opening when opening and closing so the front lip of the opening would have to be modified. All of the above would then cause the motors to fail at a high rate of frequency.

The Research & Development to effect the change along with the program changes to the laser cutting program would cost 800€, and this kind of expense and amount of work is just not feasible. Neither for me to produce nor for others to implement.

The buckets I have designed and produce are the best compromise between easy installation, function and style that I have been able to come up with.

The buckets are not and will not be designed for the HID housings. I do not recommend anyone using them in my buckets because if I did someone will try to use cheap, blinding lights from some fly-by-night manufacturer and be blinding all on coming traffic and then cause an accident.

I hope this lays to rest the discussion of HIDs in my buckets as this will be the last time I address the subject.

Thank you Fiero1Fan.

That was the detailed response I was looking for. I'm still sad that (street legal) HID's won't work in our Fieros.

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 03-14-2009).]

Go Speed Go

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2009 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Go Speed GoSend a Private Message to Go Speed GoDirect Link to This Post
I will post some pics as soon as I get the headlamp in. Thanks again.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 39 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock