Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  Low Profile Twin Headlight Buckets (Page 13)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 39 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39 
Previous Page | Next Page
Low Profile Twin Headlight Buckets by Fiero1Fan
Started on: 12-13-2006 11:49 AM
Replies: 1521
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 11-12-2009 03:43 PM
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2007 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Please post pix when installed!!!
IP: Logged
DrCPU

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
Just an update on my install... pics to come next week.

I brought the buckets to a friends who has a good drill press. I ended up adding a little more chamfer on the front side of the buckets and the Susquehanna plastic buckets now install easilly. I've got three of the four lenses in (have to wait for the extra adjuster screw to come because I busted one doing a Homer move) and will be doing the removal of the old headlights sometime during the week. I'll be adding my pics to my build thread.

From my POV I've got a few suggestions. An exploded view of a full assembly would have saved me a ton of grief. The Susquahenna instructions are good, but a few pictures are worth a thousand words. If I had everything to do over again, I'd simply make sure the inner thickness of the bucket/lense mounting holes was at or less than 50 thou of an inch. My bucket measure 85 thou. Timo does chamfer the mount holes from the front - but in my case (yours may vary - hence the note for you to check) I had to drill out quite a bit for the plastic buckets to snap in firmly while engaging the barbs of the plastic buckets.

More patience on my part would have helped. I do have to take some credit as I did read the Susq instructions several times carefully. If you have not installed the 90mm Hella - reading and test fitting everything before you move on will help a lot. Last little bit I can contribute here is - assemblies are designed for fairly straight forward installation. Muscle and elbow grease and hammers should not be necessary as the engineered designs are brilliant. The only time I "broke" something was when I was forcing it way beyond what should be normal. So here is the gem from my POV. If you're forcing something you've probably not read the instructions and understood them fully. Backup and look it over again.

Dave
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
I am hoping I get a chance to actually *install* something soon.
As some consolation I do get to learn from everyone else assembling theirs while I WAIT.....
chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to drop a note and say that I received my buckets today and they look GREAT! Thanks Timo!!

Rob D.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys for the info.

Dr. CPU's suggestion about chamfering the buckets even more is very easily done. If others have the same issues with fitting the plastic retainers into the buckets please let me know ASAP and the new buckets will have the deeper chamfering.

Timo

edited for spelling.....

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 03-03-2007).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero1Fan:

Dr. CPU's suggestion about cambering the buckets even more is very easily done.Timo

If I have to set the camber on my buckets, (if I ever see them), I hope the toe-in is easy to set too

pssssst....Timo...It's caled a *chamfer*
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Oops .
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
MY BUCKETS ARRIVED !!!!

Well sort of..........

Went to the hardware store for 20 minutes and sure enough, when I get back there's a little pink slip in my mailbox telling me to pick up my package from "Penrod" on Monday at the post office !

I didn't know I would have to sign for the package.....

Randy

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
Timo - One installed, and one to go!

I finished up my harnesses a few minutes ago - and will install one and aim the first headlight tomorrow. Once I got past the Doh's everything went smoothly.

I had a heck of a time getting the 3 bolts off the stock headlights. One nut was rusted badly. Cleaned up the parts - and they look goos as new now. The install of the new bucket was a snap! Timo, those headlights look awesome when they are installed!
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
I sometimes forget about the learning process I went through during the R&D on these. Sure glad you like them. I hope other s do too.
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
Installed the harness today. Took one minute. All the work planning everything really paid off. I still need to wrap the harness, but everything works great. I really like the front access to the adjusters. Fine tuning of the projectors is a snap!

Knowing what I know now means I could install a set from scratch in about 1/2 hour - not counting the time to solder up the harness.

Count me in as a happy customer! Will post about 30 pics in my build thread tomorrow.

Dave

[This message has been edited by DrCPU (edited 03-04-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
Team Race-Tech

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2007 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
Hi Timo,

I would like to say I sold all but one head light kit. I had no idea I was going to sell two kits in one week. I also sold two sets of 90mm lights one guy I sold him two H9 HID kits. I have one set of head light kit which I'm going to keep for myself but I have another customer that wants a set too. I'll have to wait untill he has the funds so i can order some more.

Thanks
Joe

------------------

Race-Tech Automotive inc.

Specializing in Fiero performance:
3800 swaps, custom Aluminum flywheels, Brakes, Engine's, Aftermarket Bolt on performance parts, used Fiero parts,
www.racetechauto.com e-mail racetech@bellnet.ca

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2007 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Team Race-Tech:

I also sold two sets of 90mm lights one guy I sold him two H9 HID kits.

IMHO, installing a gray market, H9-rebased HID conversion kit in these Hella modules is a really bad idea, even ignoring the regulatory issues. Consider these pictures that I posted in an earlier thread.

The first picture is the Hella 90mm projector low beam module with a standard 65 watt H9 halogen bulb. Note the sharp upper cutoff of the DOT "Z beam" (a.k.a. DOT/ECE "harmonized") pattern, flat beam top, minimal color fringing, and a well-defined "hot spot" directed straight ahead:

The next picture is the same Hella 90 mm DOT/SAE low beam module, but fitted with an Asian-made, H9/H11-based, HID conversion bulb (4300K) and ballast. This particular H9/H11 HID capsule was branded "Xenon Super Vision HID." According to published specs it puts out about 50% more light than the (already very bright) H9 halogen, but note the fuzzy upper cutoff, irregular beam top, and extreme color fringing. The "hot spot" is poorly defined, and there is also a lot more light directed to the sides, where you don't really need it:

This does not mean that I'm anti-HID ... I'm just against doing it poorly, attracting undue law enforcement attention, and possibly endangering yourself and other people. I'm doing some ongoing R&D in this area and I will post the complete results on PFF as soon as I'm finished.

In the meantime, the stock H9 halogen bulbs already do a superb job in the Hella low beam modules. And if you really have to have HID right now, Hella makes both DOT/SAE and ECE compliant HID 90mm low beam modules ... but they aren't cheap!

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 03-05-2007).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2007 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
I got my buckets today and all I can say is WOW!!
Timo, these are a world class product. The workmanship on these are first class.
They are well worth every penny, and the short wait.
THANK YOU for investing in this venture and providing another excellent and highly desired product for our beloved Fieros.

Randy

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-05-2007).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2007 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13875 posts
Member since Mar 2006
BTW
No duty, taxes or other fees on them here either.
The labels on the box show they were handled somewhere along the line by DHL though....
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2007 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Randye you're very welcome.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2007 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005
Now I have a question for those of you who have installed them. Has anyone had a problem with the right side bucket fitting through the head light opening in the lid?
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanDirect Link to This Post
I hope I am the only one. Will send you as picture tonight.
I think my right have been disformed during the welding process. It might not been properly fixed during that.

------------------
Regards SHARKMAN
86 GT, 3.4 Camaro engine,
choptop # 1 in Europe/Sweden

Oreif

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Now I have a question for those of you who have installed them. Has anyone had a problem with the right side bucket fitting through the head light opening in the lid?

I had a similar problem when I changed hoods. If you have problems with the bucket and the headlight cover, The headlight assembly (motor and bucket) are adjustable and so is the headlight door.

BTW ~ I got my buckets and they look great! I am building the wiring harness now and will post pics later this week.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Sharkman, try loosening the 4 nuts that hold the motor bracket to the front wall and moving it in the direction you need. See if that helps. I will send you another bucket if you need one.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
Buckets arrived today (Kansas City) via USPS, only 15 days after payment to Timo. Both box and contents were in very good condition. No import duty was imposed.
PFF
System Bot
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
Has the second run started production yet?
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Yes they have. Being cut this week.
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanDirect Link to This Post

Sharkman, try loosening the 4 nuts that hold the motor bracket to the front wall and moving it in the direction you need. See if that helps. I will send you another bucket if you need one.

I have done this and It did not help. I moved It as far as I could.
Hope you saw something else on the pics I sent you.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
I sure did and we'll talk this evening to correct the issue.
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Here are pics of the wiring harness I made for PaulV and myself.
I stamped the H9 connectors for the lamp they go to and sleeved it using the high temp corrigated sleeving.
All connections are soldered and sleeved.

How do they look?

I am hoping to get the buckets painted this weekend and hopefully everything assembled as well.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
FANTASTIC!!!! Now I just need 4 of the H4 connectors. Want to send me some?

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 03-07-2007).]

midengineracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for midengineracerClick Here to visit midengineracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to midengineracerDirect Link to This Post
Orief,
That looks very professional, I like it a lot!!

------------------
2005 Smart ForTwo CDI
1986 Austin Mini
1986 Fiero GT 5-speed (waiting on a brake upgrade, I'm lazy!)
1975 Trabant P601
2007 Ninja 500

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
I have NEVER done this sort of wiring before, so I'm happy that mine look a lot like yours Orief !

Tested them on the car and they work great.
Got to brush up on my soldering skills too.
All connections nice and tight.
I just couldn't figure out those little white silicone seals so they're probably not quite right but they look like they'll seal any moisture out well enough.

Now to paint the buckets.

Randy

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-07-2007).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13875 posts
Member since Mar 2006
BTW

Used 14ga wire for the harness, which seemed just right for the connector fittings. Hope that's correct.
I also used heat shrink tubing over my solder connections

GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have some installed pic's, On this side of the pond?
Just curious how they are working out.
Good Luck
Gary
PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

BTW

Used 14ga wire for the harness, which seemed just right for the connector fittings. Hope that's correct.
I also used heat shrink tubing over my solder connections

Yes 14 AWG is the correct size wire. I used solder splices and then sleeved them.

The silicone seals look fine as well. If you want them more flush, Just use a dab of silicone grease and a small open end wrench to push them in a little farther.
Team Race-Tech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2007 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
Hi Timo,
A question on the rectangular head lights. Have you found a source for the lights? I have some one here who wants the buckets but I said there is a problem locating some lights. If you have a source then I'll purchase the rectangular buckets. Please let me know.

Thanks
Joe
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2007 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Still working on sourcing the lights. I'll let you know.
Team Race-Tech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2007 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
The red fiero you have on the fierst page, what lights were used to make that kit? and when you made the rectangular buckets what measurments or sample you used?

Joe
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2007 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
The red Fiero with the rectangular lights used single beam bulbs and aren't legal. So I can't use them. The lamps I am probably have to use are the rectangular lamps from Hella. That means I'll have to raise the front panel of the buckets 20mm to get them to fit.

I am looking for an alternative lamp that will fit better and be dual beam (H4).

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 03-08-2007).]

Team Race-Tech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2007 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
Timo do you have a Hella part number? or picture?

Joe
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2007 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Here is the info for the Hellas:

Susquehanna does list several 100 x 165 mm conversion headlamps here. My guess is that the "Ribbed Glass" you cited is the same as their number HL79566 hi/lo lamp (ECE only, not DOT compliant?), and the "Clear Glass" is their new "Free Form," DOT-compliant hi/lo lamp number HL21100

The HL21100A are what I am looking at using if I can't find anything better. (lower)

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 03-08-2007).]

Team Race-Tech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2007 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
Timo i found this one from hella HL21001 which is a 150mm H4 http://www.rallylights.com/hella/150mm.asp let me know

Thanks
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2007 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Team Race-Tech:

Timo i found this one from hella HL21001 which is a 150mm H4 http://www.rallylights.com/hella/150mm.asp let me know

Thanks

These lamps are not DOT/SAE approved and are sold for off-road and racing purposes only. these lamps are for Right Hand Drive Countries, in other words for countries in which one drives on the left-hand side of the road, for example Australia and the UK.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 39 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock