Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  Low Profile Twin Headlight Buckets (Page 36)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 39 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39 
Previous Page | Next Page
Low Profile Twin Headlight Buckets by Fiero1Fan
Started on: 12-13-2006 11:49 AM
Replies: 1521
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 11-12-2009 03:43 PM
dedgar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2009 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dedgarSend a Private Message to dedgarDirect Link to This Post
So, have the plates been under the laser yet?
IP: Logged
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2009 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dedgar:

So, have the plates been under the laser yet?

From what I was told, they started Friday, along with some other things that needed to be cut.
Rixthetrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2009 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RixthetrickClick Here to visit Rixthetrick's HomePageSend a Private Message to RixthetrickDirect Link to This Post
Obviously they'll need manufacturing after the cutting, when do you think the
first batch could (without incident) be ready for shipping??
( I am well aware life happens and things rarely go smoothly to plan - hence my shavers rash)

And Timo, please check your Santa list - I am on it right?

[This message has been edited by Rixthetrick (edited 08-10-2009).]

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2009 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rixthetrick:

And Timo, please check your Santa list - I am on it right?

Yes you're on it... at the top of the list.
dedgar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2009 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dedgarSend a Private Message to dedgarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

From what I was told, they started Friday, along with some other things that needed to be cut.

Excellent!!
Are they going to be doing the welding also or is that somewhere else?
Trying to picture time frames to guesstimate readiness.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2009 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Brackets will come back to the shop to be bent and welded. I will be doing the bending on the first few sets to match the Stage 1 buckets. Once they match, I will bolt a set into the car (without protective coating or lights) to verify fit.

Not sure on ETA, but progress is being made.
Rixthetrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2009 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RixthetrickClick Here to visit Rixthetrick's HomePageSend a Private Message to RixthetrickDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Timo,
I have a boatload of goodies arriving from USA, I am really looking forward
to putting all of the new bits and pieces on my toy. The buckets will set it off!

I hope the process is without anymore interruptions - there's a lot of us hanging for
such a great looking enhancement. Keep up the good work.

Rick - Australia Oi Oi Oi
GMEFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2009 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GMEFieroSend a Private Message to GMEFieroDirect Link to This Post
amen

WE WANT BUCKETS!!!!

lol
Larry Nakamura

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2009 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraDirect Link to This Post
Hey Fiero1fan/Synthesis, Can you post a list of people
that you know are waiting so we know if we are on it or
not? Also, you will know the count of how many buckets
to make?
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2009 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I have seen the first cut on these! I am waiting to get my hands on a set for bending and fitment tests.
Since the design has had some alterations from the original, I will need to fit them and confirm that they will work.

Photos when I reach that stage. Should not be long.
Alibi

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2009 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
If there are extras, I'm interested in a set
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2009 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Update: Bending in progress. Sent Timo a PDF with the updated measurements.
Once bent, I will be putting a set in the car to give you guys/gals a photo taste of what the new buckets look like.
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2009 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
how different from the gen 1 buckets are they.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2009 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
They are nearly identical.

The major difference between the Generation Two buckets and Gen 1 are that the Gen1 buckets are built using 6 individual pieces, and then spot welded together.

The Gen 2 buckets are built using three pieces... The main bucket assembly is one single piece instead of the 4 used to build the Gen1. The "Lift arm" bracket underneath on both the Gen1 and Gen2 designs are identical.

Also, a final revision, which has yet to be tested, should completely remove the need to buy Door Edge Guard for the top of the light assembly.
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2009 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
Bump for updates and pictures.
GMEFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2009 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GMEFieroSend a Private Message to GMEFieroDirect Link to This Post
BUMP FOR AMERICA!!!
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
Bump... for FREEEEEEEDOOOOM!!!
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Bump for.... Posterity?

We switched cutters, the brackets are being finished now, and then I will get to play with them all before they go off for the protective coating.

Looking at two choices for coating. QPQ (Quench-Polish-Quench) or Galvanizing.

QPQ leaves the metal with a black finish which is very resistant to corrosion, and provides a better level of protection than Chromium or Nickel plating.

Galvanizing leaves the metal with a matte silver finish (usually) which is generally smooth and able to be painted when using an etching primer. This also provides a good level of protection.

I am leaning heavily toward QPQ for the sheer fact that it provides the same level of protection as Galvanization, and it is already a black finish.
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
I'd prefer the black as well, since I think most folks want them to end up that color anyway (well, I do at least). Does each process cost about the same? If not, a can of black paint is also cheap
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alibi:

I'd prefer the black as well, since I think most folks want them to end up that color anyway (well, I do at least). Does each process cost about the same? If not, a can of black paint is also cheap

The pricing IS different between the two. QPQ is a bit more expensive, but also provides a better appearance.

This is an example of a steel piece that has been treated with the QPQ treatment.

Here is a slide from a gun that was done with QPQ.

I expect the QPQ to raise the price approximately 5-10 per set. Reasonable for a treatment that hardens the metal and is designed for corrosive environments, but I am trying to keep that cost down. I am talking with the machine shop on bulk pricing.
These will last a long time on a car.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 08-24-2009).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Synthesis

12207 posts
Member since Feb 2002
DP

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 08-24-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Rixthetrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RixthetrickClick Here to visit Rixthetrick's HomePageSend a Private Message to RixthetrickDirect Link to This Post
QPQ mine please?
That finish on the gun looks just perfect.
If there's ever a customer's vote, mine is on that black finish.

Thanks for the updates, keep up the good work!

Rick - in the land Downunder, Oi Oi Oi
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
I'd be fine with 5-10 dollars extra for the nice black finish. It would be one less step in installing them (no paint/powdercoat needed).

Any guesstimates on how much these are going to run or is it too soon to tell?
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alibi:

I'd be fine with 5-10 dollars extra for the nice black finish. It would be one less step in installing them (no paint/powdercoat needed).

Any guesstimates on how much these are going to run or is it too soon to tell?

A close guesstimate on the final price of the buckets, with QPQ coating (after I see some samples from the QPQ shop) is around 180 shipped to the Continental US.

Yes, I said SHIPPED! That price includes USPS shipping to your door.
The price is subject to change. It may go down, I do not expect it to go up at all.
I should have photos this evening if all goes according to plan.
Larry Nakamura

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraDirect Link to This Post
My vote is for a black finish too.
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
$180 sounds pretty reasonable. Less would be great too, but if not then meh. The last batch, weren't they about $250? So... it looks like it'll be about $500 installed then by the time I pick up lights and wiring. Very not bad for such an improvement and if the car is ever wrecked/sold the buckets can be removed for the next Fiero
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
FWIW ... QPQ is a salt bath nitriding process that is used primarily to increase the surface hardness and wear resistance of parts. It seems to be most often used these days on firearms and golf clubs. QPQ is usually applied over some other surface treatment (e.g. Melonite), and the bare QPQ surface is usually oiled for additional corrosion resistance.

Here is what one source has to say about the corrosion resistance of QPQ applied to golf clubs: "QPQ (Quench, Polish, Quench) finish produces non-glare, scratch resistant finish that will slowly rust over time." (emphasis added)

On the other hand, properly applied galvanizing yields a soft surface with superior corrosion resistance, especially when painted. The biggest drawback is that paint adhesion to fresh galvanizing is notoriously poor unless preceded by a time consuming pre-clean and etch process.

At first glance, it doesn't seem like QPQ would be a very good choice for use in an automotive environment. Perhaps some more research is called for before making the final decision.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 08-25-2009).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

FWIW ... QPQ is a salt bath nitriding process that is used primarily to increase the surface hardness and wear resistance of parts. It seems to be most often used these days on firearms and golf clubs. QPQ is usually applied over some other surface treatment (e.g. Melonite), and the bare QPQ surface is usually oiled for additional corrosion resistance.

Here is what one source has to say about the corrosion resistance of QPQ applied to golf clubs: "QPQ (Quench, Polish, Quench) finish produces non-glare, scratch resistant finish that will slowly rust over time." (emphasis added)

At first glance, this doesn't seem like it would be a good choice for use in an automotive environment. Perhaps some more research is called for before making the final decision.

Hence the reason I have not decided yet.
I am aware of the potential for rust even though it is small, so this is still up in the air. Powder coating is not an option due to the risk of chipping and rusting. Most vehicle wiper arm assemblies are QPQ'd. Take a look at the Fiero. That isn't paint. That is the QPQ treatment on the metal wiper arm.
Mine aren't rusted, and they are original.

Galvanizing is what was used before, and it has worked well on all of the existing buckets. I am just looking at other methods of protecting the metal if possible.

Thank you for posting that Marvin.
Here is more info on QPQ, and it is a very solid and strong protective coating. Any protective coating can eventually fail.

http://www.burlingtoneng.co...sion_resistance.html

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 08-25-2009).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Synthesis

12207 posts
Member since Feb 2002
More info on the QPQ process... Very detailed, with full graphs and sheets.
http://www.durferrit.de/med.../Tenifer_QPQ_eng.pdf
labbe001

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Direct Link to This Post
i've not been posting in this forum lately but just wanted to make sure i was still on the list for a set..also, wanted to see about getting on the list for a wiring harness
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
Hmm... well what about doing the QPQ to protect the metal and then have the end-user paint it? Looks like it will need paint after all if it slowly rusts.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
The QPQ process has not been decided on yet. The QPQ treatment will only be done if it is proven as good or better than the Galvanizing process that has been used to date. Another issue is the price of the QPQ treatment. All these issues are still being looked at.

------------------
Fiero1Fan

Fieros Europe

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Yep. QPQ is an option, but not finalized. ALL buckets will receive the same treatment. Won't be able to do special orders.

After speaking with several coating shops, all of them recommended either straight Galvanizing or Zinc Chromium plating to hold up to the harsh Minnesota winters (we use salt on the roads here...) If it lasts in MN, it will last anywhere... They stated the QPQ would hold up well, but that the Galvanized coating is a bit softer, thus more forgiving for small particulate impacts, and it holds paint better than QPQ.

Leaning towards the old tried and true method of Galvanizing.
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
Ah, well, whatever you guys go with I'm sure they'll turn out just fine. The black would be nice but if other finishes are more durable then so be it
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Well, I finally got over to the shop...

Guess what I found?

Yep, that's right. BUCKETS!
There was a goof. The bending shop did not get the email that said "Make half one way, and the other half a mirror image" in time to prevent making them all the same way.
Yes, that entire pallet is Driver's side buckets.

They admitted fault, and will be making the correct ones the end of this week at their own cost.

The tabs for the lift arms have not been attached yet. I did test fit the bucket in the car, and verified everything fits and looks great.
I really love the one piece setup that we designed, and think that these buckets are the natural progression from a first run that looked good and worked great to a professional product that looks like it came from the factory.

Look at the rest of the shots below. Enjoy.

CarverToo

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarverTooSend a Private Message to CarverTooDirect Link to This Post
They're beautiful! Does the goofup mean you'll have twice as many buckets once they make good on their mistake?

Wow, half price sale!
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
They're beautiful.
Could someone post them side, by side with pictures of the old design, so I can see the changes?
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

They're beautiful.
Could someone post them side, by side with pictures of the old design, so I can see the changes?

Yep. I can do that.. It might take some time, as the bender still has the old style original...

Sadly, no, no half price sale... Still trying to determine what to do with extras.
labbe001

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Direct Link to This Post
wow!! those new buckets sure do look sharp...so i was wanting to know if i was still on the list for a set...hopefully so with all the extras..haha...also, what about the wiring harnesses? is there an update on those?
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by labbe001:

wow!! those new buckets sure do look sharp...so i was wanting to know if i was still on the list for a set...hopefully so with all the extras..haha...also, what about the wiring harnesses? is there an update on those?

The update is: I have several done and packed (and need to get my ass in gear and ship. There really is no excuse.) and I have several in mid-production that range from needing connectors to needing wire loom.

labbe, you are on the list. As a matter of fact, I suggested to Fiero1Fan that a new thread be created with a list at the top as soon as these buckets are ready to ship.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 08-27-2009).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 39 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock