Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  Low Profile Twin Headlight Buckets (Page 34)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 39 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39 
Previous Page | Next Page
Low Profile Twin Headlight Buckets by Fiero1Fan
Started on: 12-13-2006 11:49 AM
Replies: 1521
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 11-12-2009 03:43 PM
Jarhead 2m4

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2009 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Direct Link to This Post
Question: What is the best way to take the headlights out of the buckets if I need to change them out? Is it possible without breaking anything?

...no reason, just wondering

IP: Logged
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2009 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Yes there is a way to do it with out damaging anything. Brace the backside to the bucket around where the adjustment screw enters the plastic holder. Then from the front push on the front of the screw with a steady but strong force to get it to pop out. I made myself a pair of pliers. The upper jaw has a cross-tip bit welded to it and the other jaw I drilled a U shaped cut out that fits around the screw. Then I slowly press the screw out.

p.s. If you need to do this sometime in the future then make sure you remove the lamp first by unlocking the attachment locks that hold the adjustment screws to the light housing. Give then a twist so they line up with the slots in the housing ears then remove the housing. That leaves just the screws still in the plastic holders and gives you a lot of room to work.

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 03-16-2009).]

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2009 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005
1 set left.
Jarhead 2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2009 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Direct Link to This Post
What are you guys using to attach the windage tray? Those are aweful small holes to re-use any of the old hardware.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero1Fan:

1 set left.

PLEASE hold that one for me. I will be purchasing soon. Tax return should be in by the 22nd at the latest (according to the tax company since I e-filed)
tmur115

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tmur115Send a Private Message to tmur115Direct Link to This Post
pm sent....
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tmur115:

pm sent....

I am gonna be upset if you buy that last one.... I'll cry.

If I don't get this one, then when he finally DOES have them available again, I won't have the money to get the buckets.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Last set sold.

I will be making more in the near future.

------------------
Fiero1Fan

Fieros Europe

Jarhead 2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Direct Link to This Post

Yes there is a way to do it with out damaging anything. Brace the backside to the bucket around where the adjustment screw enters the plastic holder. Then from the front push on the front of the screw with a steady but strong force to get it to pop out. I made myself a pair of pliers. The upper jaw has a cross-tip bit welded to it and the other jaw I drilled a U shaped cut out that fits around the screw. Then I slowly press the screw out.

p.s. If you need to do this sometime in the future then make sure you remove the lamp first by unlocking the attachment locks that hold the adjustment screws to the light housing. Give then a twist so they line up with the slots in the housing ears then remove the housing. That leaves just the screws still in the plastic holders and gives you a lot of room to work.

Yeah, it was all going so well and then I broke one of the plastic bucket shaped holders. Only one, but it is enough to keep me from finishing them.

On another note, I installed one of the buckets to test it. It doesn't want to go up and down in a normal manner. It looks and sounds like the mounting posts are rubbing against the headlight door. Do I need to move the top outer posts to a bottom location? What can I do to help it go up and down with the least amount of resistance?

[This message has been edited by Jarhead 2m4 (edited 03-18-2009).]

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2009 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
The plastic retainers are available seperately from anywhere you can order Hella equipment.

Relocating the screws is a good option. The adjustment screws are VERY long, a lot longer than needed.
I just removed the last 1/3 or the screw with a dremel.

------------------
Fiero1Fan

Fieros Europe

tmur115

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2009 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tmur115Send a Private Message to tmur115Direct Link to This Post
bump for a great guy who stands behind his product!!! also a plus...

thanks
=todd=-
PFF
System Bot
RyanFromMichigan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RyanFromMichiganSend a Private Message to RyanFromMichiganDirect Link to This Post
Don't know if anyone already posted this, I'm a newby here. I found an Ebay store called PTC Factory Outlet that has the Hella 90mm high and low lamps listed for $45 each plus shipping. I called them up (770-486-5668) to verify the adjusters were included too and they sure are. As long as I was on the phone I ordered two highs and two lows on the spot, total came to $190 with shipping. That was even better than their Ebay store total price so I'd recommend placing the order on the phone. They had everything on stock and told me my order would ship today!! It's a lot better deal than Susquehanna is offering. You still need to buy connectors though.

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RyanFromMichigan:

Don't know if anyone already posted this, I'm a newby here. I found an Ebay store called PTC Factory Outlet that has the Hella 90mm high and low lamps listed for $45 each plus shipping. I called them up (770-486-5668) to verify the adjusters were included too and they sure are. As long as I was on the phone I ordered two highs and two lows on the spot, total came to $190 with shipping. That was even better than their Ebay store total price so I'd recommend placing the order on the phone. They had everything on stock and told me my order would ship today!! It's a lot better deal than Susquehanna is offering. You still need to buy connectors though.

Sounds like a good deal. Thanks for the info.
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Speaking of good deals I think I found where I'm finally going to get my lights!

Low beam

High beams

How that for nice prices!
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I ordered my headlights from PTC. All four lights, plus shipping came out to 192.50.

They include the bulbs and the adjusters as well for that price.
Marvin McInnis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RyanFromMichigan:

I found an Ebay store called PTC Factory Outlet ...

Originally posted by DIY_Stu:

Speaking of good deals I think I found where I'm finally going to get my lights!

Same place. That said, Susquehanna Motor Sports has been around for many years and has a proven track record as a full-service supplier, while PTC is pretty new. It's your choice whether the difference in price is worth the possible risk of an eBay-only vendor.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

Same place. That said, Susquehanna Motor Sports has been around for many years and has a proven track record as a full-service supplier, while PTC is pretty new. It's your choice whether the difference in price is worth the possible risk of an eBay-only vendor.

I understand that. PTC shipped my lights 30 minutes after I completed my order.
UPS notified me I would have them on April 1st.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
ptcfactoryoutlet ( 8051) 1479 Positive Feedback (last 12 months): 99.9%

Sounds like PTC might be a viable alternative. A company has to start somewhere and they seem to be on the right track.

------------------
Fiero1Fan

Fieros Europe

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 03-27-2009).]

DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like they sell what they have in stock. Not selling to drop ship that's always nice. Since they know what they have in stock.
tmur115

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2009 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tmur115Send a Private Message to tmur115Direct Link to This Post
RyanFromMichigan,

did you get yours yet? I was wondering about ordering from them after checking out their website, and seeing that they sell seconds and returns (along with new ) .... please post pics..

thanks
=todd=
mikejhjr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrDirect Link to This Post
Fiero1Fan, you have a pm
PFF
System Bot
carlschulz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carlschulzSend a Private Message to carlschulzDirect Link to This Post

Last set sold.

I will be making more in the near future.

When you make more let me know. I'm finally working again and will be able to get them.
GTCONVERSION

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTCONVERSIONSend a Private Message to GTCONVERSIONDirect Link to This Post
I want a set next time also
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mikejhjr:

Fiero1Fan, you have a pm

PM returned.

carlschulz and GTCONVERSION your both on the list.

------------------
Fiero1Fan

Fieros Europe

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
A bump and a + (if he didn't already have one) for Fiero1Fan and his headlight buckets...

A before shot of Sylvania Silverstar h6054 sealed beam bulbs...

After shots of the car... A view from the rear...

Low beams (still have to fine tune the aiming on these.)

High beams (again, fine tuning)

The new lights make a HUGE improvement.
tmur115

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2009 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tmur115Send a Private Message to tmur115Direct Link to This Post
Fiero1Fan,

you have a pm..

=todd=
Larry Nakamura

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2009 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraDirect Link to This Post
I know I'm late to the party, but wondering when you are going
to make the next batch of brackets? I would like to order a pair
for my 88GT. I've ordered a harness from Synthesis already and
should get it in a month or so. I went to your web site and emailed
you a couple of questions. Please let me know.
Larry Nakamura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2009 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraDirect Link to This Post

Larry Nakamura

412 posts
Member since Jul 2003
I just odrered the Hella 90mm from TPC and the price total
was $188.95. (2 high and 2 low beam modules). They said
the price has gone up to $52 a light, but I was able to get them
for the $45 a module still, by telling him the ebay still had them
for $45. Just wanted to let everyone know the info....
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2009 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
I am working on the next set right now. I'll let you know ASAP when they are ready.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2009 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Finally I will order these Does anyone knows the difference in amperage consumption between these Hella 90mm units and stock units? Thanks
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2009 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Finally I will order these Does anyone knows the difference in amperage consumption between these Hella 90mm units and stock units? Thanks

The new Hella 90MM are 65 watt bulbs. They use the same bulbs for both high and low beams. Only the housings are different.

The H6054s range in wattage from 55 watt to 65 watt depending on brand. I believe they use the same for both high and low.
PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2009 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

The H6054s range in wattage from 55 watt to 65 watt depending on brand. I believe they use the same for both high and low.

Actually the stock style headlights are dual filiment. Low beam is 35W high beam is 55W. (some brands up the high beam wattage but low beam stays at 35W.)

jkbetker21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jkbetker21Send a Private Message to jkbetker21Direct Link to This Post
I put these in my '86 GT almost a year ago and they are great.

I do have one question though. Does anyone have any tips on getting the headlights to open and close smoothly without damaging the buckets or the covers. It seems like the buckets do not really agree with the covers. Am I the only one with this issue?

Thanks

Oh, and the lights are fantastic. Extremely bright.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jkbetker21:

I put these in my '86 GT almost a year ago and they are great.

I do have one question though. Does anyone have any tips on getting the headlights to open and close smoothly without damaging the buckets or the covers. It seems like the buckets do not really agree with the covers. Am I the only one with this issue?

Thanks

Oh, and the lights are fantastic. Extremely bright.

Yes. Go to your local "Wal-Mart" or other supply store. Look in the automotive accessories, and find "Door Edge Guard".
It is a plastic molding that clips over the edge of a door to protect it when you open the door next to another car.

Place it along the top, front edge of the bucket, where it rubs against the bottom of the door.

I am currently working with Timo (Fiero1Fan) and a US Manufacturer to get the second run of buckets made. Stay tuned for further details.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:
I am currently working with Timo (Fiero1Fan) and a US Manufacturer to get the second run of buckets made. Stay tuned for further details.

will the design stay exactly the same, or will it be modified?
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jkbetker21:

Does anyone have any tips on getting the headlights to open and close smoothly without damaging the buckets or the covers. It seems like the buckets do not really agree with the covers. Am I the only one with this issue?

No, you are not alone. This is a design deficiency in his otherwise excellent product that I hope Timo (Fiero1Fan) will fix some day.

If you look closely you'll see the problem. When the headlights are up the door is resting on the low beam lamp itself, instead of being supported by the bucket. It looks like Timo's buckets were originally designed to mount the low beam modules inboard, rather than outboard as required by U.S. regulations, and that may account for the discrepancy.

If you examine the OEM headlight buckets, you'll note that they have two subtle design features missing from Timo's buckets. 1) There are two rounded projections that make the initial contact with the door and take all the loads during the first part of the opening sequence. 2) Once fully open, the door is supported by the front face of the OEM bucket. The lamp itself never makes contact with the door.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 06-09-2009).]

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

will the design stay exactly the same, or will it be modified?

They will be a little bit different. The Mark II design. I don't have pics but will have soon.
Larry Nakamura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraDirect Link to This Post
Do you think the next batch will be ready within the next month?
Just curious as I have the lights sitting on my living room floor right
now ready to go into the car! Please keep me on the waiting list.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
They should be.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

They should be.

Is the price expected to change at all with them being produced in the states?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 39 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock