Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  Low Profile Twin Headlight Buckets (Page 6)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 39 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39 
Previous Page | Next Page
Low Profile Twin Headlight Buckets by Fiero1Fan
Started on: 12-13-2006 11:49 AM
Replies: 1521
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 11-12-2009 03:43 PM
Paulv

Feedback score:    (68)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2007 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulvSend a Private Message to PaulvDirect Link to This Post
paypal sent for mine (paulv) and oreif68's order. 2 sets. I provided correct address & phone# in the PayPal.

------------------

My Web Site www.xnet.com/~paulv
NIFE Web Site ]www.fierofocus.com]

IP: Logged
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2007 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2007 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005
Thanks midengineracer for the tech info.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2007 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by midengineracer:

87 Pontiac Service Manual says black is ground, tan is low, and light green is high beams.

Fantastic!
I'm good to go now.
Thanks!!

Randy
PURPLE REIGN

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero1Fan:

I am now accepting payment for the twin round w/o harness and blank buckets.

Payments per PayPal to: fiero1fan@fieros.eu

Please include your complete name, mailing address and tel. number for shipping and billing receipt.

Thanks,

F1F (Timo)

So did you need an auto set or a manual set of mounts

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
Heads up: I just noticed on the Susquehanna Motorsports site that the Hella 165 mm rectangular hi/lo headlight number HL21100 (the "free form reflector" model) is variously noted as "... unavailable until at least April" and "... unavailable until further notice." I have no idea what the problem is.

This may adversely affect the schedule for the rectangular version of the low-profile buckets ... at least in North America. It would be a shame to finally have the rectangular buckets available but no lamp assemblies to install in them.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 01-26-2007).]

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2007 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
I'll check over here and see what the deal is.
Angel_Valentino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2007 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Angel_ValentinoSend a Private Message to Angel_ValentinoDirect Link to This Post
Hey Just to be sure, these will fit the first generation motors as well correct? And i'm oh so excited!!!
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2007 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
I just had to try some of these.

Plus a bump.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2007 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005

Originally posted by Angel_Valentino:

Hey Just to be sure, these will fit the first generation motors as well correct? And I'm oh so excited!!!

To tell you the truth I don't know. Does anyone know of a difference in the mounting of the 1st gen vs the 2nd gen buckets? From what I can tell there is no difference but I only have pix of the gen 1's.
Kristian V

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2007 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kristian VSend a Private Message to Kristian VDirect Link to This Post
Buckets should be the same.
I belive the difference in Gen1 - Gen2 was the motor, and the controll unit.
I could be wrong though. I have only seen the Gen2.
PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2007 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
I know my 1986 and a friends 1987 used the same buckets. Only the motors and control modules are different.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2007 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Then we're good to go.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
Bumpity Bump Bump......Bump Bump
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post

Then we're good to go.

Any news on what you need for mounts ???
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PURPLE REIGN:

Any news on what you need for mounts ???

PM sent.
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2007 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Just so people know, Susquehanna Motorsports has the 90mm low beams on backorder.
They are suppose to be in this week.

Fiero1fan, Can you measure the distance from the center of the high beam to the center of the low beam for me?
As soon as the lights and connectors come in I want to make a layout and schematic for the harness.
Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 01-30-2007).]

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2007 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

Can you measure the distance from the center of the high beam to the center of the low beam for me?

It's going to have to be somewhere between 4.1 inches (105 mm) and 4.5 inches (115 mm). The minimum distance is set by the size of the lamps themselves (see this drawing), and the maximum distance is limited by the available mounting space in the Fiero headlight assembly. Note that the 90 mm low beam module is somewhat longer than the high beam module, so you will have to allow for that as well. (See this picture for a side by side comparison.)

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 01-30-2007).]

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2007 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

It's going to have to be somewhere between 4.1 inches (105 mm) and 4.5 inches (115 mm). The minimum distance is set by the size of the lamps themselves (see this drawing), and the maximum distance is limited by the available mounting space in the Fiero headlight assembly. Note that the 90 mm low beam module is somewhat longer than the high beam module, so you will have to allow for that as well. (See this picture for a side by side comparison.)

I am looking for the measurement from the center of the low beam to the center of the high beam lens on the bucket. Although each hole for the lens is 3.33" round (90mm) I need to know what the distance is between the lamps as well. Depth is not a concern because the depth of the stock headlight has already set where the original connector sits. When I make the harness I want to allow servicability to it. Also I need a specific length for the labels (low and high). I am going to set-up a nail board so I can make multiple harness' and ensure each one is the same.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 01-30-2007).]

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2007 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Oreif, I'll have that measurement for you by tomorrow.

I also contacted Hella here in Germany and there is no known reason why the rectangular lights aren't deliverable ATT in the states. The lights are available here and will continue to be produced. They did tell me that Hella North America is more or less a stand-alone company and not directly responsible to the German Mother company.

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 01-30-2007).]

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2007 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
Here is the reply I received from Susquehanna Motor Sports concerning availability of the 165 mm Free-Form rectangular headlights:

"Slow boat from Germany. The order has been in with Hella for weeks, we are not scheduled to receive them until April."

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 01-31-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2007 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Just bumping back up top.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2007 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Well I have an update. I brought the first completed set of twin round buckets home. The rest of the buckets will be done by this weekend and then off to the Galvanizers the first of next week. They are still in raw steel (not yet galvanized). It is too dark to get any good pix today but I'll have them tomorrow.

I also did a really cheap wiring harness with simple spade connectors to hook them up tomorrow so I'll have pix of the harness too.
If any one wants one of the simple harness sets I'll include it free. It doesn't look too bad but it don't look good either. Well you'll see tomorrow what I mean.
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2007 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Well I have an update. I brought the first completed set of twin round buckets home. The rest of the buckets will be done by this weekend and then off to the Galvanizers the first of next week. They are still in raw steel (not yet galvanized). It is too dark to get any good pix today but I'll have them tomorrow.

I also did a really cheap wiring harness with simple spade connectors to hook them up tomorrow so I'll have pix of the harness too.
If any one wants one of the simple harness sets I'll include it free. It doesn't look too bad but it don't look good either. Well you'll see tomorrow what I mean.

When you take a pic of the basic harness could you lay a ruler in the pic so we can see size?
Also could you post the measurement (or hold the ruler up to the face) of the bucket?
Scythe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2007 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScytheSend a Private Message to ScytheDirect Link to This Post
^ TTT ^
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2007 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Well my lights arrived today from Susquehanna Motorsports!
Just awaiting on the buckets.
Do you have an expected shipping date for those that have already paid?

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 02-02-2007).]

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2007 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
OK here we go. The bucket is the first set of the production buckets. It is still raw steel (not purdy yet)!
This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

Measurements:

Crude Harness: (more info on harness, size, length and needed parts tomorrow)

Crude Harness taped:

Covers go ALL the way down:
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2007 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005
Sorry guys I don't know what the problems with the pix are. They are ALL 1024 x 768 and less then 100k. I thought that Cliff had up-ed the restrictions.

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 02-02-2007).]

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2007 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005

Originally posted by Oreif:

Do you have an expected shipping date for those that have already paid?

I should have them back from the galvanization by the end of next week. Then they will be immediately shipped.
midengineracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2007 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for midengineracerClick Here to visit midengineracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to midengineracerDirect Link to This Post
Something just occured to me looking at these. You want both lights on when the high beams are on. I will try to figure out something for wiring that way tomorrow, I am going to bed now.

------------------
2005 Smart ForTwo
1986 Austin Mini
1986 Fiero GT 5-speed (waiting on a brake upgrade)
2007 Ninja 500

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2007 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
That would be cool. Let me know what you come up with.
PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2007 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Excellent pics!
Thanks for the measurements!
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2007 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
The lengths of the harness wires was 12". I also tried to stay with the original colors.
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2007 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Thinking about, buying a set but would want them in the raw, so I can powder coat them. Is that possible, and would it drop the price any (I had to ask )? -Jason
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2007 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

Thinking about, buying a set but would want them in the raw, so I can powder coat them. Is that possible, and would it drop the price any (I had to ask )? -Jason

Yes it is possible. Just let me know for sure so I can pull a set before they go to the galvanizers. No change in price. Sorry. Let me know fast because I'll be taking the buckets to the galvanizers on Monday. Be aware that the powder coating is very thick and will need to be trimmed out of the mounting holes for the lamps which may bare up some of the steel allowing rust to get a hold. A good base paint and painting them will look just as good and the galvanized steel will protect against any chips in the paint. Your choice.

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 02-02-2007).]

Kristian V

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2007 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kristian VSend a Private Message to Kristian VDirect Link to This Post
Only reason for not having them galvanized, is if youre gona weld some more on them. Otherwize it's all plus to get the zink coating on them. It's just fraktions if mm. And its good to have under any paint you gona have aplied on them. And without it, they would be rusty before they crossed the atlantic.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2007 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

OK here we go.

Thanks for the pictures. They do raise one question, though. You have mounted the low beam lights on the inside ... closer to the centerline of the car. Did you do it for clearance reasons?

Regulations in the U.S. require that the low beam lights be mounted outside of the high beams. I know that some here will say, "So what?", but I prefer not to attract any unnecessary police attention.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 02-03-2007).]

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2007 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
I just mounted them that way. Clearance shouldn't be any problem I'll check how it fits with the lamps switched around and let you know.

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 02-03-2007).]

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2007 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

Interested but I would like to see some pictures of the underside etc.

Rodney

Still waiting.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2007 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Still waiting.

PM sent.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 39 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock