Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  Low Profile Twin Headlight Buckets (Page 12)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 39 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39 
Previous Page | Next Page
Low Profile Twin Headlight Buckets by Fiero1Fan
Started on: 12-13-2006 11:49 AM
Replies: 1521
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 11-12-2009 03:43 PM
ccfiero350

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Direct Link to This Post
I'm a little late to the game but I would like a pair of the round ones.

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock
white 88 notchie, 4 banger

IP: Logged
DrCPU

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero1Fan:

Do you need the bucket instructions, the lamp installation info or the wiring harness instructions?

Timo

Timo,

Instructions would be nice - or at least some pics. I think I know how to do the work,

- make wiring harness
- remove 3 bolts holding stock headlamp from actuator motor
- install 3 bolts on new bucket to actuator motor
- plug in H9's and H4 plugs
- test and aim
- enjoy

I don't know if there is anything else I should be doing. Is this all I need to do?

Please post or PM me details.

What gauge wire should I use for the harness 14, 12?

Dave
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post

DrCPU

707 posts
Member since Jan 2004

$40 taxes on a $155 item = 27% taxes? That is wild!!

Don't forget that I pay taxes on the value you quoted, converted to US$ then CDN$ then taxes at 14%, plus the duty. The price was marked $208 - So I'm being taxed on the this amount - say $280 CDN. It adds up real fast.
swisscheese

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for swisscheeseClick Here to visit swisscheese's HomePageSend a Private Message to swisscheeseDirect Link to This Post
Regarding the discussion about powdercoating or not: I went to a company who does stuff like this. The worker there told me that they gonna throw it into a bath witch leaves the plain galvanized surface and then they gonna powdercoat it. Shouldn't be a problem.
I'm gonna try it now since painting them is more expensive and I couldn't do it myself at home anyway.
I will post the result hopefully within a week.
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ccfiero350:

I'm a little late to the game but I would like a pair of the round ones.

You're on the list. Thanks.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005

Originally posted by DrCPU:

Timo,

Instructions would be nice - or at least some pics. I think I know how to do the work,

- make wiring harness
- plug in H9's and H4 plugs
- test and aim
- enjoy

I don't know if there is anything else I should be doing. Is this all I need to do?

Please post or PM me details.

What gauge wire should I use for the harness 14, 12?

Dave

Use the 14 g wire, the normal wiring is 16g so 14g will be plenty.

- remove trim palte from around front of old head light bucket (4 torq screws)
- remove plastic lip from bottom of buckets (2 + screws)
- install Hella light into low profile buckets
- install plastic lip to bottom of buckets (make sure you get the left lip on the left bucket )
- make wiring harness ( so you can measure the lengths that you'll need)
- plug in H9's and H4 plugs (H4 plug needs to be pushed down into the hole in the motor bracket to be out of the way)
- test and aim
- enjoy

That should do you. Ask away if there is anything more you want to know.

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 02-27-2007).]

HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Direct Link to This Post
Got the set of round ones you sent. SO whenever you get the next order send me the address and I'll ship them. Any word on whether we have a solution to the rectangular?
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post

Use the 14 g wire, the normal wiring is 16g so 14g will be plenty.

1- remove 3 bolts holding stock headlamp from actuator motor
2- remove trim palte from around front of old head light bucket (4 torq screws)
3- remove plastic lip from bottom of buckets (2 + screws)
4- install Hella light into low profile buckets
5- install plastic lip to bottom of buckets (make sure you get the left lip on the left bucket )
6- install 3 bolts on new bucket to actuator motor
7- make wiring harness ( so you can measure the lengths that you'll need)
8- plug in H9's and H4 plugs (H4 plug needs to be pushed down into the hole in the motor bracket to be out of the way)
9- test and aim
10- enjoy

That should do you. Ask away if there is anything more you want to know.

Thanks Timo! I got the Hella lamps today! Ya Frekin Hoo! Cost me $70 Canabucks to free them from the post office... Oh well.

The instructions for the Hella lamps are pretty thin. Can you elaborate on the sequence to install them? Also - no idea what side of the plug on the H9 is ground and power? I might be able to figure it out by looking at your pics earlier in the post - but would prefer to not bugger it up first time. Sorry, your pics (back of hellas) are completely different than mine. I'll email you a pick and you can display it if you like later in your instruction sets to the US.

From what I can figure out you need to do the following:

A- put the adjuster screws through the lamp housing and then use a set of pliers to twist until the black tab is sitting in the middle of the lamp housing.
B- do this for 3 of the corners - I guess it's up to you to do two bottoms and one top - or one bottom and two tops. I guess one top would be easier to adjust.
C- put lamp unit - with adjusters screws in the bucket and through the holes - low beams to the outside - high beams inside.
D- push on the plastic post buckets onto the end of the adjuster ball ends
E- push the plastic post buckets (mounting plugs) into the three holes of the bucket to firmly attach the lens unit
F - do the same for the other lenses
G- follow your instructions from #6 down!

I know that the tan wire is low beam and light green is high beam and can figure out which one is which on the H4 plug. The grey portion of the H9 plug has a number 1 on the left and a number 2 on the right (blue push in tab is at the bottom). Can you tell me which is ground and which is power? Does it matter?

Sorry for being such a dweeb, but I've done too many jobs by the seat of my pants - which usually costs me twice the price to do as I get it wrong the first time. I'll need to put some nut loosener or rust buster on the old nuts and bolts of the actuator mounting points - and need to buy some door edge protector and wire - but other than that am ready once I get the info above.

Dave

[This message has been edited by DrCPU (edited 02-27-2007).]

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post

DrCPU

707 posts
Member since Jan 2004
Timo,

Sent you some pics via your regular email.

Dave
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

The instructions for the Hella lamps are pretty thin. Can you elaborate on the sequence to install them? Also - no idea what side of the plug on the H9 is ground and power? I might be able to figure it out by looking at your pics earlier in the post - but would prefer to not bugger it up first time. Sorry, your pics (back of hellas) are completely different than mine. I'll email you a pick and you can display it if you like later in your instruction sets to the US.

From what I can figure out you need to do the following:

A- put the adjuster screws through the lamp housing and then use a set of plier to twist them until the black tab is sitting in the middle of the lamp housing.
Correct but be careful. Don't break off the ears

B- do this for 3 of the corners - I guess it's up to you to do two bottoms and one top - or one bottom and two tops.
I prefer 2 top and one bottom with the bottom one to the inside.

C- set the plastic mounting plugs into the three holes of the bucket to firmly attach the lens unit

D- put lamp unit - with adjusters screws in the bucket and through the holes - low beams to the outside - high beams inside.
I used a set of channel locks opened all the way up with a thick rag wrapped around the jaws to carefully squeeze them into the mountings

F - do the same for the other lenses
G- follow your instructions from #6 down!

I know that the tan wire is low beam and light green is high beam and can figure out which one is which on the H4 plug. The grey portion of the H9 plug has a number 1 on the left and a number 2 on the right (blue push in tab is at the bottom). Can you tell me which is ground and which is power?

I doesn't make any difference. Pick the number 1 as your positive and stay with it through out your wiring harness building.

Sorry for being such a dweeb, but I've done too many jobs by the seat of my pants - which usually costs me twice the price to do as I get it worng the first time. I'll need to put some antiseize - rust buster on the old nuts and bolts of the actuator mounting point - and need to buy some door edge protector and wire - but other than that am ready once I get the info above.

Dave

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Intel:

To install the adjusters put them into the light housing from the back (ball-part pointing forward) and rotate the plastic part (with three small arms) until the tab on the back is pointing towards the housing where it locks into the groove. It's VERY difficult to twist it without a special tool designed for this purpose. Needle nose pliers might brake the tabs or damage the thread.

I made a crude tool that looks something like the one on this drawing.

The small plastic cages are put into the small holes in the bucket from the inside. Then the ball part of the adjusters are pushed into the installed plastic cages and locks, it's very tough to get them in, I had to use vice grips.

Thanks for the drawing! You'd think that Susq would throw in a bloody tool for this - after spending $300 bucks for lenses! (rant now off!)
PFF
System Bot
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
It makes no difference which you want to use as the positive side because they are mono filament bulbs. Take the number 1 and use it as positive through out your wiring building that way they are all the same.
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
Money sent to fiero1fan@fieros.eu. for my twin round not galvanized.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timgray:

Money sent to fiero1fan@fieros.eu. for my twin round not galvanized.

Received. Thanks.

edit: List Updated

fieroboy20

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2007 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy20Send a Private Message to fieroboy20Direct Link to This Post
anyone in the states get theirs yet
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2007 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
Got mine Monday and installed in less than 30 minutes.
Dave

------------------
[
1999 Mercedes ML430 1987 Fiero GT 450hp 1986 Fiero SE
certified master technician

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2007 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

Dave

Did you have to pay custom fees or taxes?

bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2007 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
The only thing I paid was the money sent to Timo.
dave
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2007 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Dave

Any pics??? Did you paint them first?
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2007 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Dave

No sign of them yet here in Florida, but they do appear to be heading south

No duty or tax is great news. Any idea what the customs paperwork listed the classification of goods as?...just curious....
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2007 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Any idea what the customs paperwork listed the classification of goods as?...just curious....

Oh yes VERY curious!!
PFF
System Bot
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2007 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Got mine the other day. Monday or Tuesday maybe. I didn't check the classification and did not pay any extra fees.
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2007 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
I need a little help guys!

I installed the adjuster screws fine. I tried my luck at getting the plastic bucket to go over the ball - and ended up breaking one plastic bucket and one plastic hub (lens) holder on the adjuster screw. How in the heck do you get those plastic buckets over the ball end of the adjusters?

I read the instructions, and they say - as far as I can read that the plastic bucket should be installed in the face plate hole first, then push the ball end through the end. Am I doing this right?

Will need to call Susquehanna MotorSports tomorrow to order an extra adjuster with extra plastic bucket. I'll ask them as well - but any tips or hints would be greatfully accepted!

Dave
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2007 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post

DrCPU

707 posts
Member since Jan 2004
Oh boy! DO I FEEL STUPID!

I tried to but the plastic bucket on the wrong way around. Me not so smart......

Still, not able to push the ball end through the plastic bucket (slotted end facing ball) with the plastic buckets installed in Timo's part.

Help is required!

[This message has been edited by DrCPU (edited 02-28-2007).]

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2007 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
I used a set of Channel Lock Pliers with a thick cloth wrapped around the jaws to carefully squeeze the lights into the plastic mounts. I think a C-Clamp would work even better.
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2007 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post

Oh boy! DO I FEEL STUPID!

I tried to but the plastic bucket on the wrong way around. Me not so smart......

Still, not able to push the ball end through the plastic bucket (slotted end facing ball) with the plastic buckets installed in Timo's part.

Help is required!

I measured my buckets with a micrometer and I've got 0.085". The susquehanna plastic buckets are for a max of 0.050". So I need to take the paint off around the mounting holes - and then see if I need to chamfer to mount holes any further. This would be a lot easier if I hade access to a drill press!

The C-Clamp should work once I get the plastic buckets to sit properly - with the barbs extended. Drilling a small block of wood out to give the clamp better seating is something I'll probably have to do. A simillar small block of wood for the screw drive end of the adjuster would also help with the C-clamp.

I suspect anyone who hasn't done this before will take a few hours to get it right. Once you know what you're doing I think you are looking at a 3 minute operation. Better pictures (exploded view) of the entire suggested assembly would have saved me a ton of time. Looks like I'm out of commission on this until I order a new adjuster screw and plastic bucket from Susquehanna.

Timo did say they would be tight - and he isn't kidding.

I've taken quite a few pictures of the operation so far and will post in my build thread once I'm sure I've got things right. Nothing replaces a good set of instructions!

Dave --- still smiling!

[This message has been edited by DrCPU (edited 03-01-2007).]

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2007 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Whoohoo! Mine arrived safe and sound. Looks like the post office was playing rugby with it though. lol The contents are okie dokie fine. Well packed for safeness.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

Relax! You've managed to suck all of the fun out of the room.

topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2007 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Pictures would be GREAT because I am sitting here looking at the mounting hardware and trying to visualize how to get the lights into Timo's buckets. If I had the buckets here, I might be able to figure it out, but I am at a loss right now.

I am not sure I will be able to smile if I break the clips that go into the bucket...

[This message has been edited by topcat (edited 03-01-2007).]

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2007 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Will do. But I'm back at work now. Can you wait until after about six or so?

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2007 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Wade, did they come USPS, or UPS? I guess mine will make it tomorow if they are coming via USPS because they already made their delivery and no buckets yet.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2007 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
It was USPS. Good amount of battle damage on the packaging. But the contents are well wrapped and safe.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

PFF
System Bot
swisscheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2007 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for swisscheeseClick Here to visit swisscheese's HomePageSend a Private Message to swisscheeseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whadeduck:

It was USPS. Good amount of battle damage on the packaging. But the contents are well wrapped and safe.

Even the "short" way down to Switzerland left some damage on the package. Happy that the "inside" arrived save and sound....
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2007 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whadeduck:

Whoohoo! Mine arrived safe and sound.

Still moving Southward....should be any day now in FL.....Getting anxious.....
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2007 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Question i have is do the headlight motors want to go up higher?
Is there a way only making the head light motors go only half the stock height?
How much is this kit to Sydney Australia?
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2007 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

Question i have is do the headlight motors want to go up higher?
Is there a way only making the head light motors go only half the stock height?
How much is this kit to Sydney Australia?

No the motors travel the same distance as before but as the bucket is only half as high it doesn't push up as high as the originals.
I'll check on shipping to Sydney tomorrow.
Team Race-Tech

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2007 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
Hi Timo,
I sold two sets of twin buckets so far and as well the 90mm lights. I have one other person that wants a set but I'm not going to sell my third one I have here. When this guy commits I'll purchase anothe few more. I had no idea they were going to go this fast.

Thanks
Joe

------------------

Race-Tech Automotive inc.

Specializing in Fiero performance:
3800 swaps, custom Aluminum flywheels, Brakes, Engine's, Aftermarket Bolt on performance parts, used Fiero parts,
www.racetechauto.com e-mail racetech@bellnet.ca

Paulv

Feedback score:    (68)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2007 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulvSend a Private Message to PaulvDirect Link to This Post
Buckets arrived in Chicago area today (Friday), no customs or taxes.
Box was through some war zone, but contents fine.

------------------

My Web Site www.xnet.com/~paulv
NIFE Web Site ]www.fierofocus.com]

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2007 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Joe I am sure glad they are going well for you. Get your order in soon for the second set of 30 that are now being made.

I'm glad the buckets are making it there in good shape. Maybe I need a stronger box. I'll look into it.

Timo
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2007 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
No joy in Florida yet.....
I hope mine still have a box.
carbonfiber_kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2007 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonfiber_kidSend a Private Message to carbonfiber_kidDirect Link to This Post
Timo

The package showed up. That was quick! The box looked like it had been run
over, ripped apart and then rubber banded back together. The good news is the
parts look great. I can not wait to get my lights in and assembled.

Thanks
Keith
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 39 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock