Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  LS4 / F40 swap - fieroguru (Page 50)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 50 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
LS4 / F40 swap - fieroguru by fieroguru
Started on: 12-13-2010 01:34 PM
Replies: 1967 (159549 views)
Last post by: Will on 04-11-2024 11:05 AM
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2024 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only got to work on the car today... pulled front passenger wheel and wheel liner to run the fused 8ga amp wire to the battery. The amp battery cable passed from the inside to outside just above the door wiring pass with a new hole and grommet. The cable is ran in split loom and rests on the top of the wheel liner. Before it connects to the battery, an inline fuse holder was added.

Once the power cable was ran, then it was time to finish installing the dash and sub, wire up the radio and perform the first in car test. I think the finished install looks very good. There is 10" from the carpet to the bottom of the sub box.

Played some AC/DC - Thunderstruck and Back N Black and turned it up. Sub works very well w/o and ringing or resonance. The base hits hard enough to shake the rear view mirror and carries into the house enough to annoy the cats. Overall it is louder than I need it to be and probably has more bass than needed in a Fiero as well. Overall I am super happy with the sound... Now I just need to finish putting the rest of the interior back together.

While the front wheel was off I went down a rabbit hole...

This is the Brembo 4 piston caliper that is a hydraulic match for the 88 Fiero calipers.
Hydraulic match means they can be swapped w/o changing clamp load or front/rear bias - which means they can be a front only upgrade while keeping the stock Fiero rear caliper with parking brake.

I am planning to use these calipers with my custom 88 front knuckles, but I am still a long ways away from installing those, so I decided to see if I could adapt these Brembo calipers to the stock 88 knuckle. So far so good... it appears the nose of the lower a-arm will clear the back side of the rotor. The caliper has to be rotated around the knuckle to allow for caliper bolt and caliper adapter bolts to coexist. This likely could cause some interference issues with the upper a-arm. If it does, I might try rotating it down vs. up. The rotor is 13" and 1.1" wide with some aggressive vanes for air movement. If everything clears, I will go ahead an install these (once they are painted blue!) in the front on my car. Like I said, they are a hydraulic match, so I can swap these calipers with the 88 front calipers w/o changing brake bias or brake feel.

IP: Logged
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2024 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rotor is 13" and 1.1" wide with some aggressive vanes for air movement. If everything clears, I will go ahead an install these (once they are painted blue!) in the front on my car. Like I said, they are a hydraulic match, so I can swap these calipers with the 88 front calipers w/o changing brake bias or brake feel.

Any chance you'll offer the brackets and center ring's as a kit w/ part numbers for the rotor/caliper????

Rob
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2024 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:
Any chance you'll offer the brackets and center ring's as a kit w/ part numbers for the rotor/caliper????

Rob

You are getting way ahead...
  • First it has to fit w/o interference.
  • Figure out the concentric ring solution.
  • Test, Test, Test.
  • Validate bracket fabrication process
  • Determine sources for rotors, rings, and calipers - this rotor application already has 2-piece rotor options. Not cheap, but definitely lower weight.
  • Create caliper fitment templates to allow verification of fitment to various wheels
  • Run economics to determine pricing

If It makes it through all the steps, then I likely would launch the kit as a front upgrade for current my 13" brake kit with me supplying everything. Eventually I might sell hardware only kits, but from history with my current 13" brake kit, as well as my coil overs, 97+% of the buyers don't want to mess with sourcing parts or assembly and are willing to pay more for less headaches and ease of installation.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2024 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finished with adding the sound deadening to the drivers side, installing both carpets, installing both seats, tightening done the steering wheel and connecting the horn so it works.

Then I played with the Brembo caliper. Test fit of the rotor on my car and the nose of the a-arm clears the rotor by about 0.10" so that works.
Installed the caliper and bracket with the caliper clocked upward and checked clearance to the upper a-arm - everything cleared with over 1/4" of room to spare.
Checked clearance between the Brembo caliper and my wheels - cleared by about 3/16".

Started looking for sources of the hub rings, and finding off the shelf ones looks to be a challenge... but I am still looking. I really don't want the added cost or time to make them, but we will see.
I did find a place that makes the 2 piece rotor for this application w/o requiring it to go larger diameter. Not cheap (2 rotors are more than the cost of my current 13" brake it with 4 rotors and all hardware), but available. I might call them to see if they will swap out the hat with one that will fit the fiero w/o changing the rotor offset.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 03-31-2024).]

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2024 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wasn't having any luck with an off-the-shelf concentric ring, so I made some on the plasma and trued up the ID and OD on the lathe.

I made 4 of them and used 1 for the drill guide for the 5x100 pattern and then drilled the new rotors. In a month I will have the 2 piece rotors - but I want the car back on the road by the end of next weekend. So these will do for now.

No more red on the Brembos:

Ordered:
Russel DOT brake lines - the ones on the car had been there since 2013.
Hawk Performance pads for front and rear. Between the two caliper designs, I was able to find 2 compounds with very similar coefficient graph. The front are also a low dust compound, which would be a nice change.

The car won't be done by next weekend, but I want to start driving it and most of the remaining items are interior related, so I can do them while putting miles on the car.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2024 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Caliper brackets and calipers installed!

Just waiting for the pads, hoses and Brembo stickers...
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2024 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This weekend was pretty short as we were in Indy to see Hadestown on Saturday and we got back around 10 AM today.

I got the front brakes nearly complete. Trimmed some M6 stainless bolts and lock washers to work for pad pins, pads installed, modified the new brake lines to clock the hose connection so it clears the upper a-arm, flushed the brake fluid, installed the hoses, did a gravity bleed on all 4 bleeders, and installed the Brembo stickers. A final bleed full brake system bleed will be completed once I am done with the rears.

Then I switched my focus to the rears. Jacked the rear of the car up, removed the rear caliper bridges, pads, and rotors and drilled new rotors for 5x100 pattern, and flushed the rear brake system.

Then I got bogged down making the hawks pads for a Wilwood caliper work with an 88 Fiero caliper. The two mods that are needed are:
1. Use a belt sander on the edges to bring the width down from 100.6mm to 100.0mm.
2. Drill out the holes for the pad retaining pin. Since I will be using 6mm stainless bolts for the pins, I drilled them out to 6mm which is slightly smaller than the split roll pin the 88 Fiero calipers use.

Now I am waiting for the 6mm bolts to arrive (the Fiero calipers need to be 10mm shorter than the Brembos). With the switch to bolts vs. split roll pins, I will be able to install the pad with the bridge installed, so while waiting, I will get the rotor and bridge installed and check to see if I need to make a spacer for the bridge (these pads could be a little too thick).
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2024 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Started looking for sources of the hub rings, and finding off the shelf ones looks to be a challenge... but I am still looking. I really don't want the added cost or time to make them, but we will see.

This outfit will make custom concentric rings, and has a large selection of "standard" rings, which I think are still made to order. I have their wheel adapters to bolt 5x4.75" Corvette wheels onto 5x115 A-body hubs.

https://www.motorsport-tech.com/hub_rings.html

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 50 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock