Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Rockin Red River Ruckus Road Rally (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
Rockin Red River Ruckus Road Rally by cliffw
Started on: 03-22-2007 03:09 PM
Replies: 653
Last post by: moleman_in_a_FieroGT on 10-14-2007 10:53 PM
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2007 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
...........................................Rockin Red River Ruckus Road Rally .......................................................
................................ http://youtube.com/watch?v=blM-6FK1G1k ..........................................

This year, 'bout October time, it is my honor and priviledge to host the sixth annual Red River Ruckus. Hence the six "R" words in the thread title. This is the official thread. The Red River Ruckus is a Fiero rally of which Fiero owners from Texas and Oklahoma meet, greet, and compete. It is open to all Fiero owners everywhere. Whether you can attend or not, I ask for your help in planning this to be memorable event for all of us. The central theme of this Fiero rally is driving our Fieros. This year, on some of the most awesome roads in the beautiful Texas Hill Country in and around Kerrville Texas. Fieros are meant to be driven. We drive excitement!
All roads lead to Kerrville. Come to this sixth annual Red River Ruckus. You will enjoy yourself and your Fiero more !
Red River Ruckus I
Red River Ruckus II
Red River Ruckus III
Red River Ruckus IV
Red River Ruckus V

WARNING : Updates can and may occur in any part of this post at any time. Check back for the latest details.

The dates are October 12th, 13th, and 14th. The cost is free. blakenspace is collecting donations for the Spirit of the Ruckus Award award. This may be split among one or more travelers if need be. I am in for twenty dollars Blake. Please make your pledges people, I will update the totals here.
The Spirit of the Ruckus Award = close to $95.00.
Spirit of the Ruckus proud sponsors:
(no order)
cliffw
Fierotaz
blakeinspace
CenTexIndy
Alamo Arera Fiero Owners
josef644

I have an agreement for a .05 cent a gallon price break on gasoline. Not much but times three fill ups times the number of cars, it is something.

Rooms are available with a group rate of $56.00 at the Whitten Inn. A very nice motel. It is located right off IH 10 and will be easy to find. The phone # is (830) 896 1511. Toll free (877) 896 1511. Try to speak with Annette or Elise. Be sure to mention Red River Ruckus for the group rate.
Camping is also available at the Kerrville-Schreiner Park. Very nice, located on the Guadelupe River. Kayaks, tubes, and paddle boats available. Cabins also.

Friday : Meet and Greet
We will meet and greet in the parking lot of Culver's. 7:00PM preferred. To see and be seen by auto enthisiasts. They have a gathering of auto enthusiasts every Friday night. Good food, good people, good atmosphere (car enthusiasts). I will hype it up and we will see Kerrville pride, nice cars. If it were not for being so early into our fun, I would think "show and shine". We will still flood their parking lot with 41 Fieros. The meeting greeting most likely will spill over to the "Back Porch Cantina" and/or the Guadelupe River Club. Both overlooking the Guadelupe River. With live music, no cover charge, and beverages. 15% discount on food at Culver's. The Guadelupe River Club is also an oyster bar Revin if you need extra help, .
Note: Early arrivals welcome. Some may wish to recreate in the Guadelupe River. Kayak and tube rentals available. I can also put together another cruise route. Early birds please PM me.

Saturday : 9:00AM to 12:00PM: Shine and Showing. Judgment at 11:30. I have invited other two seater sports cars to attend.
12:00PM till ???? : Cruise Route. We have very exciting roads with beautiful scenery. We will start off shadowing the Guadelupe river, crossing it ten times (or more). Surprises along the way. One is a stop at Stonehenge II. Lunch along the route. The cruise length is 100 miles. Map to follow. Other two seater sports cars to cruise along with us.
Saturday Evening : Not finalized. A possible second cruise route to Medina Lake with dinner at the Oasis. Possible live music venue in Kerrville.

Sunday : A visit at the Admiral Nimitz museum either before or after lunch at the Brewery, a German cuisine restaurant. Beer ain't just for breakfast anymore, .

Fieros from all over Texas and beyond will be there, including members of the Lone Star Fieros club based in Houston, the Alamo Area Fiero Owners club based in San Antonio, the North Texas Fiero Club based in Dallas/Ft Worth, and the Heart of Texas Fiero Club located in Waco. A custom chop top from Arizona will be making the show. Undecided is a Fiero Roadster from Kansas. A Roadster being a re-bodied Fiero. The construction of the Fiero is ideal to re-body styles. Some awesome cars have been created by proud owners. Different kits are available for those that can not create their own.
Attendees to Date :

1) Scott Anderson (sanderson) 2 persons in a 84 coupe powered by the Quad 4
2) Tim Van Zile (CenTexIndy) 2 persons in a 87 Fiero GT
3) Stephen Poe (MstangsBware) 1 person in a 88 Fiero coupe powered by a Supercharged 3800
4) Chris Reinke (FieroReinke)2 persons in a 88 Fiero GT with 3.4 DOHC
5) Jonathon Miller (jccott1) 1 person in a 87 Fiero GT
6) Bob Schronk (procarnut) 1 person in a 86 Fiero GT
7) Chuck Hodges (Cheever3000) 1 person in a 84 Fiero SE
8) Blake Moore (blakeinspace) 1 person in an 88 Fiero Formula
9) David Whatley (davidwhatley)
10) Cliff Smith (cliffw) ? persons in a 87 Fiero GT and an 88 GT T top. Unveiling a "one of" custom set of ....leather seats by Mr Mike
11) Joe Crawford (josef644) 2 persons, in a 86 Fiero SE with the Iron Duke and custom wheels (picture on .....page 5)
12) Mike Good (TXGOOD) 2 persons in a 85 Fiero GT with a V6 and custom wheels (picture on page 5)
13) Kevin Rogers (Revin) 2 persons in a custom bodied 88 Fiero GT powered by a Supercharged 3800
14) Daniel Clark (green87) 1 person in a 86 Fiero SE with a Supercharged 3800
15) Leroy (Fierotaz) 1 person in a custom 85 Fiero GT Choptop. Custom work done by V-8 Archie including ....suicide doors. Powered by a SBC LT1 V-8 mated to a six speed standard. (pics on page 8)
16) Charles Cintron
17) Rob White (fierosa)
18) Glenn Anderson
19) Ray New (texasfiero) 2 persons in a 86 Fiero GT with custom matching trailer
20) Doug Goldsby (Dgzfiero) 1 person in a 88 Fiero Coupe
21) Merrill Bowles 1 person in a 88 Fiero Formula
22) Tom Myers 1 person in a 87 Fiero GT
23) Alan Sandoval (moleman_in_a_FieroGT) 3 persons in a 87 Fiero GT
24) Tim & Kari (BoostedSeries1) 2 persons in a 86 Fiero GT (pic on page 8)
25) John Fussell (JohnF) 2 persons in a 88 coupe he bought brand new in 88
26) Mike Parker (fieroseblack) 2 persons in a modded 86 Fiero SE
27) Gene & Marilyn Garrison from Lonestar Fiero’s in a 88 Fiero GT

New registrants every day.

Help A Brother In Need
We all have parts laying around that others can use. Some convenient enough to bring along. Post your needs and I will update them here. You could get it for free, or at a good price, or not at all, . Some items might be able to be shipped later.

1) cliffw...drivers side power mirror glass.
2)cliffw...GT trunk lock housing assembly.
3)Corey...four spoke steering wheel
4)moleman_in_a_FieroGT had an accident. How can we help ?
5)moleman is parting out a fully loaded GT. Parts anyone ?
6)cliffw....FOR SALE 1986 Fiero GT, 120,000 miles, auto, decent to rough shape. $1250.00
7)CenTexIndy...wants a 120mph speedo
8) cliffw...needs a good 88 center console door. Gray.
9)MstangsBware...FOR SALE Mr Mikes leather seats. See his post page 15.

GAME PRIZES............................................GAME PRIZES......................................................GAME PRIZES
I have told you, I am developing a points system prize winner(s). I still have to make this up but I will.
I just wanted to let you know of some of the prizes we have so far. And of the proud sponsors of the prizes.
First of all, a big thanks to Fierotaz. He donated some nice stuff I would like to keep for myself.
We have a brand new NOS sunroof seal.
We have a brand new catalytic converter.
We have a brand new Accel performance coil.
We have a brand new set of SplitFire Maxium Performance spark plug wires. I have not opened them. I am guessing 6 cyl.
We have a brand new BOSCH oxygen sensor.
We have a brand new Hypertech Cool Fan Switch sensor.
Leroy. Thank you.

V-8 Archie gets thanks also. He donated four of his T shirts. I got two med, one large, and one extra large.
V-8 Archie is the man. He supports our community.

WisconsinGT also deserves thanks. He is sending me a power pulley for a prize.

CenTexIndy also stepped up with prizes. Last year Ruckus shirts, DVDs, and some of his favorite CDs from his Village people collection, . Thanks Tim, .

Solstice Red River Ruckus Invite
Guest Solstice/Sky Attendees :
The Solstice Club has an event scheduled for this weekend. To run the twisties in Arkansas. They will be back here in Kerrville in early November for their 3rd annual Kerrville run. Kerrville is that good, .

Classic Car Invitees :
1) 1957 Chevy Belair 2 door Hardtop. (Garage kept.)
2) 1963 Chevy II Nova. (Garage kept.)
3) 1968 Chevy El Camino SS clone. (Garage kept.)
4) 1952 Chevy P/U five window cab, wooden floor bed, louvered hood and valance below rear bumper, and ....other mods.
5)Members of the Hill Country Auto Club
6)Members of the South Texas Car Club
7) David Stacks. In either one of two 66 GTOs or his 69 Judge,

Miata Red River Ruckus Invite
Guest Miata Attendees :
1) Doug Smith, Boerne Texas. 2 persons in a 05 Miata
2) Don & Judi Privett
3) Randy Bates, Austin Texas. 2 persons in a 96 fully blueprinted/balanced stupid fast Miata with an awesome ....suspension. With a T28 turbo running at 15 psi.
4) Virginia Weaver in "[i]Paws
"...a 2003 MX-5 Shinsen which was a special edition
5) windwalker 2 persons in a 2007 MX-5 GT Copper Red PRHT (retractable hardtop).

[i]Original post
:
This year, 'bout October time, it is my honor and priviledge to host the sixth annual Red River Ruckus. This is the official thread. The Red River Ruckus is a Fiero rally of which Fiero owners from Texas and Oklahoma meet, greet, and compete. It is open to all Fiero owners everywhere. Whether you can attend or not, I ask that you help me plan this to be memorable event. The central theme of this Fiero rally is driving our Fieros. On some awesome roads in the beautiful Texas hill country. Fieros are meant to be driven.
We will still have a meet end greet night. We will bed down either in Bandera or Kerrville. The next moning we will have the traditional showing of our proud rides. Judging and prizes to be included. Noon, or early afternoon, we will embark on the road rally portion of the meet. We will end up in a different Texas town and bed down there or a near by dude ranch. Hopefully we will be able to take in some live Texas music in a honkey tonk. The next day we will take a different route back to a central departure point to say our goodbyes.
Next week I am making a scout route. Any and all are invited to come on this fun run. Revin and I need to finalize the
date but PM me if you might like to come. The purpose of the scout route, is to determine how many miles the road rally will be, to see where gas stations are located, to check out accomodations, and to find stuff to do along the way. Ideas are welcome. If anyone can be truthfull and give me the rules for a lying contest, please post. I like the idea of a poker rally and maybe a scavenger hunt. Prizes to be awarded. One need not to have the bestest Fiero to win awards at this run.
I ask of all the Fiero clubs, for any left over event T shirts that I can use for awards/prizes. I also ask of Fiero venders of any thing that they can contribute. This will be a sponser type arrangement but I can understand that costs may be necessary. Please PM me with any details. Also, any wanting to get out some Fiero news or advertise a product or service, again PM me.
A date needs to be set. It is a little far off but post dates that might be good for you or dates that you might not be able to attend.
There will be an award for the PFF member who travels the furthest to attend. Again, all are invited.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 10-26-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2007 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
Alright Cliff
There are some great drives around Bandera and the hill country.
Looking forward to it.
Mike
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2007 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
If there will be prizes for the most breakdowns on the 6R than I would be a contender

If I'm around I may drive down and join up, sounds like fun, where does it end up? (could be the start of a great vacation)

Brad
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2007 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Oh yeah, this is the offical thread. Beware of cheap imitations.

Originally posted by twofatguys:
If there will be prizes for the most breakdowns on the 6R than I would be a contender

Tow dolly available. Experienced operator also, .
texmark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2007 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texmarkSend a Private Message to texmarkDirect Link to This Post
Let's see.... road rally and my red 88 GT with a new 2.8... in the Texas hill country??? Count me in!!! Will it be a TSD or gimmick rally (or really just a "tour")?
CenTexIndy

Feedback score:    (32)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2007 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post
Cliff - I believe I have some extra shirts left over from last year. I will find what I have and donate 'em to ya!

I HOPE that my whole family can make this event...of course it will all depend on the date. But now with 2 Fieros we can all make it (if I can convince Wendy to drive the Indy).

Lookin' forward to it!
CoryFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2007 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

There will be an award for the PFF member who travels the furthest to attend. Again, all are invited.

If it's fuel, I'm in lol

It sounds like a good time.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 05:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Next week I am making a scout route. Any and all are invited to come on this fun run. Revin and I need to finalize the date but PM me if you might like to come.

Well, the afore mentioned week is here. These first couple of days I have honey dos and the weather is ripe for the pickings. Thursday and Friday hold a promise for some rain. We just got wholloped with some fast flooding in the many low water crossings. Saturday and Sunday are forcast to be beautiful. I see a weekend cruise. From Kerrville to Leakey thru Medina. What is your schedule Revin? Anyone else want to make the scout route? MapQuest shows it to be 61.17 miles and an hour and twenty four minutes, one way.
This will not be the only scout route. There are three different routes I am considering. One, in and around Medina Lake. I get around Texas. Medina Lake is one of the most beautiful I have seen.

Originally posted by texmark:
Will it be a TSD or gimmick rally (or really just a "tour")?

Well, I am not sure yet. I am not sure what a TSD or what a gimmick rally is. Or are they the same thing? It is intended to be a tour along some wounderful roads. Hilly, curvey, with excellent scenery. Any help or ideas to make it more of a true road rally will be considered. I am not sure that a competition will be in the Red River Ruckus' spirit. It is a meet/greet/showing of our Fieros with a cruise. Many will be traveling considerable distances with limited funding. I would hate to start a competition where some may cause damage to or suffer breakdowns to their Fieros.

Originally posted by CoryFiero:
If it's fuel, I'm in lol

Actually, I thought fuel would be the logical award.

Originally posted by CenTexIndy:
...(if I can convince Wendy to drive the Indy).

What a strange thought. It does not seem possible that someone would have to be convinced to drive your Indy. If anything, I would think you would have to be convinced to let her drive it .

Cliff - I believe I have some extra shirts left over from last year. I will find what I have and donate 'em to ya!

Thank you so much Tim. Also, can you set me up for some of those awards you had made for the Waco Ruckus? I am not sure how many or maybe if it just may be one. I just need to get a lead on ideas.
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 08-27-2007).]

CenTexIndy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post
Cliff - the gentleman who made the awards did a very limited run and all but one were given away. I will do my best to find the information on him so that you can let him know that you are interested in more.
blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
The only thing I can offer date wise... is that it is traditionally held the first couple of weeks of October.
That give some lattitude becuase sometimes a college football game might be in town (Waco, Austin) to crowd things, or one time a family reunion was in the way (Jefferson).

That has worked out very nicely, BTW.
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:
Oh and I STILL have a problem with my car that MUST take some time to fix...

We own the same Fiero ?
Actually, early Sunday afternoon seems to be the better day for me. Weather wise and chore wise. I hope to video the scout route. I have never posted a video and will need some help doing so. First off, it would be nice to know if my equipment is capable before I even build a mount. I have a 2002 Sony Handycam. It records on Hi8 film not hard drive memory. It has digital zoom but it is not a digital camera. It does have a smart cable output and my new laptop has a smart cable input. I don't know if I can record to my laptop or just view the recordings on the laptops screen.

Originally posted by blakeinspace:
.... it is traditionally held the first couple of weeks of October.

That is the time frame I have in mind.

Cliff - the gentleman who made the awards did a very limited run and all but one were given away.

What a coincidence.

I am not sure how many or maybe if it just may be one.

EDIT

I have a 2002 Sony Handycam.

It is a CCD-TRV58 NTSC

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 03-29-2007).]

texmark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texmarkSend a Private Message to texmarkDirect Link to This Post
A TSD (time-speed-distance) rally is a timed event where you are given avg speeds to drive during certain sections of the rally and you are penalized 1 point for each second, early OR late, into checkpoints along the way. The lowest scores win in each class. A Gimmick rallye is like a tour, but has signs and interesting landmarks along the route where you answer questions based upon the signs or landmarks. Sometimes you are asked to perform stunts or games of chance at checkpoints along the way. If you don't do well at a checkpoint (hint, hint for my March Madness Rally on 4/7), you may be "forced" to wear a funny balloon hat for the remainder of the rally. The highest scores win in each class. Both types are run at or below the posted speed limits - no racing allowed. I think you mean "tour", but count me in anyway.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by texmark:
.......you may be "forced" to wear a funny balloon hat for the remainder of the rally. ......

This is good stuff, .
Where is that picture of Blake washing Mike Parker's (Darkwing's) Fiero (Darkwing)?
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2007 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Got the exact date picked yet?

*bump*
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2007 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the bump.
No, no date yet. I have two more scout routes to run yet. I am gonna contact the local Chambers of Commerce and see what other events might be of interest or might hurt discount lodging rates.
I will try to have dates finalized just after the Round Up.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2007 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I hope we have some challenges along the way like smashing light bulbs on the side of a school bus while fire shoots out the back, or crashing through a brick wall at 100 miles per hour. Then the person with the slowest time will be sent home. Oh wait, this isn't Bullrun??
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2007 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
All suggestions welcome. Challenges along the way, while stopping to smell the roses, is the idea. However, vehicles full of Nuns with lapfulls of kittens are off limits, .
The rules for poker runs would be nice. I can see the need for more than one deck of cards.
Any other suggestions anyone?
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2007 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
What is this doing on page 102?

Challenges along the way, while stopping to smell the roses, is the idea. However, vehicles full of Nuns with lap fulls of kittens are off limits, .

Just to prove that I am not a spoil sport, while Nuns and kittens are off limits, we can pick on other prey. My Dad, earlier this year bought a Miata. He drove it to Dallas to show my brother and he bought one too. Then he showed it to me. I like 'em but they are no Fiero. Both of my family joined the Miata club. They have a national club run/road rally to Moab Utah, this month and invited me to go. I was gonna take my 88 GT T top. These Miata guys, they think they are driving a Fiero, .
Anyway, while visiting my Dad last week, a couple of his club members were there. Club talk and all, I mentioned that I was hosting the Rockin Red River Ruckus Road Rally. They said that they might crash our party. Do you want me to egg them on ?
I will tell you the Miata is nice. My brother bought his after driving my Dad's. I also drove my Dad's. It's 2.0 four cylinder engine made my 2.8 feel like a sleeping dog. Nothing a 3800 SC couldn't cure. Other than that, the only thing that impressed me was the brand newness stuff like dual airbags and warranties.
Anyway, I remember seeing a thread here on PFF about how our member numbers can only dwindle as Fieros go to the roadway in the sky. About how we might have to combine with other two seater clubs to have bigger better rallies. I am not suggesting we do this now. We will have our own itinerary. I am sure my Dad and a few other Miatas might like to run along with us on the road rally portion of our Ruckus....and we can prey on them, . I can also suggest that their local club Ruckus beside us, meaning more of a turn out, keeping separate agendas. Separate show and shines, although side by side.
The benefits of two clubs having rallies at the same time is numbers. The more people likely to book a room, the lower the group rate should be, if I have my way about it, which I like to get, . Also, I have not seen a group discount at the restaurant's we frequent. We will get one, or two, this time.
A concern of mine is also the numbers. I am marketing for a group discount. I need numbers. What is the average number of rooms usually booked for our rallies, Rukus and Round Up? T shirt numbers?

Originally posted by blakeinspace:
Cliff, full steam ahead on '07. When the time comes, please keep us in the loop on how any of us can help.

I do need some other help. As I said, I need numbers so I can market our discountS...capital S. Also, I want this to be as free as possible. Tim's work with sponsor's inspired me. I am hoping to improve on it. Cheever3000 suggested a website for this event. I did not see the need as PFF is THE website for all events. Then, I started thinking. Websites get advertisers. Advertisers pay. Cheever mentioned that he is new at websites. Chuck, I appreciate the offer but a professional website will attract more money. I do have to give you credit though. You inspired the idea and at least you can spell computer, unlike me. I need help getting a website up. I am fixin to call on the greater forum. Perhaps this idea should be a sticky for every club's rally.
I am getting mind locked, I feel a brain fart coming on, the Jeep is calling.....
Oh, two more things. I am planning another scout route of a different route this Sunday, early afternoon. This route will be the Leaky route. The other thing....well...I know I am the host of this event and all, but, I just got a new car. Not brand new. A Chevy Vega. A 73 model. The Vega, the Fiero, I do not know which I have owned more of. I am thinking of bringing my Vega to the Rockin Red River Ruckus Road Rally.
I gott'a go, it's snowing and I need to shovel the drive way, ...., or take the boat out on the lake.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 05-10-2007).]

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2007 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Cheever3000 suggested a website for this event. I did not see the need as PFF is THE website for all events. Then, I started thinking. Websites get advertisers. Advertisers pay. Cheever mentioned that he is new at websites. Chuck, I appreciate the offer but a professional website will attract more money.

I understand completely, and I agree!
*bump*

Edit to add:
I don't have a problem with inviting another make & model, especially a two-seater. As time goes on, Fiero people will eventually HAVE to do our activities with others, so we may as well get used to it.

That's the kind of networking & cooperation that could get us a REAL museum some day.

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 05-10-2007).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2007 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:
I understand completely, and I agree!

Chuck, you better than I can oversee the making of and final approval for the site. If you would. I would like the experience of being involved. I am pretty sure I have an unused site with my ISP, Road Runner.
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2007 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
How do I copy this page to...umm, where do I copy this page to so I can "paint" over the considered routes?
EDIT
Actually, that link is right but I center it for the purposes I want. I need to do a screen shot or something after I get it set up. Then copy to paint.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 05-13-2007).]

texasfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2007 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post

How do I copy this page to...umm, where do I copy this page to so I can "paint" over the considered routes?
EDIT
Actually, that link is right but I center it for the purposes I want. I need to do a screen shot or something after I get it set up. Then copy to paint.

You have a PM

[This message has been edited by texasfiero (edited 05-13-2007).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sanderson:
Houston to Kerrville - 258 miles one way
Dallas to Kerrville - 301 miles one way
Corpus Christi to Kerrville - 213 miles one way
Harlingen to Kerrville - 319 miles one way

If the "Rockin Red River Ruckus Road Rally" solely consists of more driving, you're making a big assumption that people are going to want to come.

Hmmm....you must be old. , j/k Scott. I am old too. You do have a point, especially with the gas prices we are seeing.
Houston to Kerrville - 258 boring miles one way
Dallas to Kerrville - 301 boring miles one way, the IH 35 parking lot ride
Corpus Christi to Kerrville - 213 boring miles one way
Harlingen to Kerrville - 319 boring miles miles one way
I am trying to think young. I drive all over Texas all the time. The roads around here are more like a roller coaster. Up and down, twist and turn. There will be some portions of the cruise route I think some might like to get a feel for and run them again at a more exciting speed than bottled up in a caravan. The Fiero was meant to be driven through curves. It's greatest factory attribute.

So tell us what else will be going on.

The Rockin Red River Ruckus Road Rally will follow the standard format. A Meet and Greet night. A Show and Shine. Awards. Then the regular cruise. Except that we will not be cruising from point A to point A. We will spend the next night in a different area of god's country. What else will be going on is yet to be determined. I have yet to contact the local areas Chambers Of Commerce's. I have not finalized the route so I can not yet tell you what the Saturday night formal event will be. Heck, this is Dude Ranch country. We might even have a Hoe Down party. I have three routes in mind. I have run only one to size it up (get mileage figures, gas stations and other amenities, and such). Now, since we will be at point B Saturday night/Sunday morning, and knowing some like to take off for home early, some might want to skip Cruise II. Which is a different route back to Kerrville on a much more spirited road. So spirited that speed limit is lower even though the road surface is smooth.
I would be remiss if I did not mention the beautiful scenery along these routes. One shadows the Medina River. The Sunday route back on another shadows the Guadalupe River. Tubing is an option.
Scott, I am really not sure what is gonna go on yet. Plans are still in the works. The cruise portions are all I hope to make more exciting. Bottled up in caravans are no fun. I am thinking of breaking up the caravan in sub groups. With stops along the way for all to stay together. I am thinking Poker Rally stops.
I do need everyone's feedback. Although I have not given you the cruise mileage figures, would all like a driving Ruckus or, would you prefer I pick just one spot for us gather and socialize ? We would still have a cruise.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 05-23-2007).]

JohnF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnFSend a Private Message to JohnFDirect Link to This Post
"Dallas to Kerrville - 301 boring miles one way, the IH 35 parking lot ride"

Not quite! Only the first 100 miles or so are on the I-35 raceway. The remainder can be the ride of your life on Hwy 16!

Check these:

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by texasfiero:

Good job Bob(?), thank you. I wish I could do that. I know I am capable, I just don't know how. That route I think would be the best appreciated. I have not sized it up yet. I will call that route 1. When you end up in Leaky you are on State Hwy 83. South to Garner State Park and Hwy 90, straight shot due west of Houston. North to IH 10. North also to Park Road 39 which can take us back to Kerrville. The slower but more spirited road I spoke of. It goes through the towns of Ingram and Hunt that we see in your graphic and shadows the Guadalupe River.
Route 2 starts off the same way. At Medina we continue on instead of turning west and shadow the Medina River. We end up in Bandera which has plenty to do. I wish Medina Lake's water level was up, but, I have seen it fill up in a week.
Route three is a toss up of sorts. Designed to end up at a convenient departure point for all. Actually, ending up back in Kerrville seems best as you can jump on IH 10 or, take 16 to Enchanted Rock for the Dallas/Ft worth bunch.
I am off this week but am going to Corpus to wash/scrape/paint my Mom's house. Then straight back to work for a week. I guess it will be the week of June 5 thru 12 that I will run the Leaky route even back through Ingram and Hunt. Any and all are invited to run this scout route with me.
Ahh, gotta head to Corpus. I will post from there.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35940 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by JohnF:
The remainder can be the ride of your life on Hwy 16!

I know Hwy 16 well. It ends in Zapata Tx. I have driven it from Ft.Worth to Zapata. It goes through Kerrville and Bandera. The ride of your life portion is between Kerrville and Bandera. Which is why the truck route between Kerrville and Bandera takes 173. 16 between Kerrville and Bandera will be on the cruise route whatever it may be.
sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
In my younger years I bicycled Kerrville to Garner state Park a few times. On the way down we would do Kerrville to Utopia and then take 1050 over to Garner. On the way back we'd go Garner to Leakey to Vanderpool up 187 to 39 and back in thru Hunt and Ingram. I think the drive in on Hunt would make a nice scenic relaxed finish. To me Kerrville to Garner is reasonable distance for a day and to avoid mileage burn-out for the weekend. There are plenty of places to stay near Garner and Leakey. Garner itself has alot of cabins for rent.

[This message has been edited by sanderson (edited 05-23-2007).]

JohnF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnFSend a Private Message to JohnFDirect Link to This Post

or, take 16 to Enchanted Rock for the Dallas/Ft worth bunch.

Don't think Enchanted Rock will be necessary for the NTFC bunch. We've visited that piece of history twice in the last 2 years.

Here is a shot on top of Enchanted Rock from this week's adventure from AAFO RoundUp10: (left to right) MustangsBware, Blakeinspace, Green87 and Procarnut.......

.....................................................and Galia (JohnF spouse) who took the pics.
texasfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post

Good job Bob(?), thank you.

It was me, Ray, in Houston. Check for a pm.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Garner itself has alot of cabins for rent.

Ya know, it will be the off season also. I smell discount, . Plus, I have never been. It was always all booked up when I wanted to go. I hear it is nice. Hmm...we would have to backtrack to take the Hunt/Ingram Sunday criuse (back to a departure point). Well, those that go east or south will. Hwy 90 is south of Garner. A striaght boring shot into San Antonio. Hwy 90 is the southern border of the Hill Country. You will get a hill here and there but not any spirited curves nor spectacular scenery.
Oh well, plans are in the works.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 05-23-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35940 posts
Member since Jun 2003
PM returned Ray.
Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post
Where's the Red River??
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Adam:
Where's the Red River??

South, East, North, and West of Bloody Maryville.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2007 05:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
The questions still remains unanswered. Do we want an interracial rally ? Do I ask some Miatas to join in with us ? Should I suggest side by side rallies with the local Miata club ? Also, I followed a Solstice while in my truck on my way to Corpus. I got a good long look at it. I thought, should I invite the Solstice club also ?
Myself, I think it would be fun. I am proud of the Fiero and I think it competes well with the Miata and Solstice in looks and style. I have driven my Dad's Miata. My Fiero handles as well with twenty year old suspension. Ok, maybe not quite as well as his 2007 suspension.
Marketing is not my forte' but I wonder how much extra in discounts we could get with a larger number of people.
Thoughts please.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 05-25-2007).]

CenTexIndy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2007 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good to me.

I would like to see more cars there...we are all car lovers, and I don't want us Fiero guys coming off like so many of the Mustang and Vette owners do at gatherings.

I vote "YES" on other cars being invited.

[This message has been edited by CenTexIndy (edited 05-25-2007).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2007 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
As Fieros begin to dwindle in numbers, some are convinced we have to start doing things with other clubs. The Solstice is a natural, the Miata too, and even the MR2 as a friendly rival.

I agree we don't want to ever be compared to a Mustang or Vette club.

I vote YES to other cars being invited.

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2007 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
I don`t mind if other types of cars are there either. The only thing that I would improve on is the way the cruise route is run. I liked Round-up 9.5 the way we met up and anyone way back had a chance to catch up when we stopped at that little bar and got something to drink, but I think when you have a route that is quite long and you don`t stop and re-group anywhere that the cars in the back 1/2 of the group have a wild ride. I know on a couple of the cruises, my speedometer was pegged about 1/2 the time, which is fun, but it gets a bit treacherous on winding roads. I also liked Round-up 10 where when we reached a certain point into the cruise we all just sort of got to the Riverwalk the best we could, because with lights and merging roads it`s almost impossible to stay together. The only exception is Revin who likes to get way behind and then come blasting past everyone. (I had to throw that one in there.)
revin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2007 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
*.*

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 08-27-2007).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2007 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I will put some thought into how to best facilitate this. An invitation to join our cruise or side by side rallies. Local Solstice/Miata clubs or a statewide invitation.

I don't want us Fiero guys coming off like so many of the Mustang and Vette owners do at gatherings.

Originally posted by jscott1:
I agree we don't want to ever be compared to a Mustang or Vette club.

Alright, I will invite the Vettes and Mustangs also. A big J/K. I had thought of MR2s. I don't know why I did not mention them.
I would like to get a Red River Ruckus web site up before the invite as the other car groups would have to use that site for info. Translation...more ad revenue for us. Cheever, I had a responce in Chat to make one but for cost. I will have to go back and find that topic. It was gonna be something that we could not pass on to other clubs across the nation. I would want something that we could reuse as we wanted to. Your thoughts?

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock