Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Red River Ruckus info needed (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
Red River Ruckus info needed by revin
Started on: 08-01-2006 07:04 PM
Replies: 539
Last post by: 65Vair on 10-16-2006 10:36 PM
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2006 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone reading this..........

I am getting questions asked about the upcoming Ruckus 2006. Of course I played dumb and said "I don't know" So here are some questions that needs addressing. I will update this part as I get info.

WHERE is the 3R's( red river ruckus) going to be held?..... Waco

Who is playing host? Tim

When is it? October 13,14,15th

Will there be trailer parking? ( for justin rogers )

Where are the hotels? How much?
America's Best Value Inn
115 Jack Kultgen Freeway (I-35)
Waco, TX 76706
254.754.1266 bestvalueinnwaco@yahoo.com
The rate for the rooms is $43.99/night (+tax).
Who is coming? everyone

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 10-03-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
88FieroForm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2006 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroFormSend a Private Message to 88FieroFormDirect Link to This Post
Are you talking about me because i brought a trailer to Round-up 9.5 for you!!!!!
Get at cha' boy!!!!!!!!!!

Justin
revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2006 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
ok good you caught that mistake and I repaired the line! Great example trailer queen) ..er Justin

Now let's start getting some answers!!
Where's Blake? eatting his weight in cookies?? AT HIS NEW HOUSE?
Where is Mike Parker??
Chuck you out there? are you coming to this one?

Helloooooooooooooooooooooooo????????????????
pumpkincarriage

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pumpkincarriageSend a Private Message to pumpkincarriageDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:
WHERE is the 3R's( red river ruckus) going to be held?
Who is playing host?
When is it?
Will there be trailer parking? ( for justin rogers )
Where are the hotels? How much?

All minor details...

Who is coming?

Me!

That's all anyone needs to know right now

-Amber

[This message has been edited by pumpkincarriage (edited 08-02-2006).]

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
The time is getting closer and will be here before we know it. So lets hear the skinny on the show. And I will be there.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

Chuck you out there? are you coming to this one?

I'm glad you posted this, because I have been asking myself the same questions. The first question I guess is whether somebody has already started some serious organization of it (hence revin's posting of this). Then we need to know if it will be a CFOGi regional event or an independent thing to keep the Ruckus tradition alive. Doesn't matter to me, and since CFOGi hasn't announced anything...

I expect to have a running Fiero by October, but I've been wrong before. I probably don't have time to be an organizer, but whomever takes it on is welcome to bounce ideas off me if they wish.

Naturally, I would push for the location to be in the Houston area. But I'll try to go whereever.

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 08-02-2006).]

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Hey if someone doesn't speak up about this, MAYBE it could be in Houston or even Galveston!

Let's even look up old Don and have it wherever he is !!

I am in need of telling the boss when I am taking off, but I haven't even heard WHERE or WHEN it is .....so.....................
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
I purposely set the date of the first Ruckus to the same weekend as the Texas - OU game (the "other" ruckus). That's October 7 this year.
blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
blake who?

revin-- you're not done planning this? I was waiting on you for all the details.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know what to tell you. And I don't know where to turn for back up. So here's 'the skinny' as someone posted, or 'the fat' as revin implied about my eating my house in cookies or something like that.

The Okies were good enough to offer their state as a host body. Unfortunately, they did not inform their state, and the state is not playing nicely with their toys (read state parks). Both Tom (the winner of last Ruckus's grand prize) and I have been in random contact with the Texoma Lodge (from Ruckus 1) and plans are... sketchy... to say the least.

Let me define sketchy. Terry at the lodge had told us both that she would love to have the event, but is unable to commit because the whole park was up for sale, including the golf course... to some time share/condo type company. That deal was to either complete or fall through by end of June. Deal falls through. I find this out in July. Great! We have our venue! Nice facilities, wide parking lot... plenty of rooms still (a lot of rooms were not booked bcz of the pending sale) available.

I set a date for second week in October... with banquet room. Contract to be drawn up and sent out. (Chuck has already been through this before... wonderfully expeditious folks, right Chuck?)... Clerical error! (sorta like some of the prices we were quoted on the meal last time, right Chuck?) Find out that banquet room had already booked to the Episcopalians. Only can offer discounted room rate... (about 10 bucks off, not much, but hey...) Check on week prior. Banquet room booked too. I did not bother to find out the religious affiliation of that group. Fewer rooms available to boot. Then they drop the bomb. "Oh, BTW, we have a new contract pending, we will know in August if it is final." The reason all this is important, about the contracts is, that if the place sells, all deals are off. Terry did mention some good news however. She was more likely to keep her job with the second group. And that she had just saved 26 dollars a month by switching to GEICO.

Terry tells me to call Marsha over at Lake Murray, they too have a nice facility with banquet hall. Marsha informs me that her park is heavily booked, not only because of the locale, but the uncertainty over at Texoma has driven groups to her. She did mention some good news however. Her cabins were even cheaper. Great! Lets book a date! So do I want the 2 rooms available on the weekend of the 6th, or the 8 cabins available on the weekend of the 13th? Oh, and she just saved $200 by switching to GEICO.

So Monday, I go to plan C. Realize there is no plan C. Try to figure out what could be a plan C while trying to dodge Kevin's calls. I was successful enough until he got clever and posts a thread... exposing my inadequacies to the whole world. you jerk. ... BTW, can I come visit for Labor Day? You can come up and stay with me for that racetrack thing... l am still living out of boxes. Not good to hear: "Honey, where's the underwear box?"

So Texas Fiero owners... what is plan C? I am guessing that it will have be something simple like... John and I planned over one weekend in Jefferson, for Ruckus 2. CenTexIndy had mentioned something possible in Waco. It's close, they have the Dr. Pepper Museum, Texas Ranger Museum... and certainly a lot of hotel space... as long as the Bears are not playing. I hit a brick wall with planning, and am empty handed as a result. I am up for anything or nothing.... which is exactly what I lay on the Ruckus planning table before you.

Also consider this in planning: October 13th falls on a Friday.
It is bad luck to be superstitious.
pumpkincarriage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pumpkincarriageSend a Private Message to pumpkincarriageDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't be too upset about it Blake, Oklahoma sucks. No offense to the Oklahoma people, but you know you'd rather be in Texas. I'm up for Waco, especially on Friday, October 13th because it was still a little warm the first week of October last year. Waco is not an incredible town (also apologies to the Wacoinians), but it is pretty well located for alot of people. Isn't there a drag strip somewhere near Waco?

Please, please no Galveston... I can't afford gas on another long trip like that.

But... we really could just all meet in a dirt lot for all I care, as long as we get some good food at some point and everyone looks at my car

Not quite a Plan C, but I think most people are like me... as long as it's not on the complete opposite side of the state, as long lodging isn't piggy bank breaking, and as long as there are fun people with nice cars there... we're going to show up. Just pull out a state map and blindly point somewhere, that'll be fine.

-Amber

[This message has been edited by pumpkincarriage (edited 08-02-2006).]

JohnF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnFSend a Private Message to JohnFDirect Link to This Post
Same as Amber! Count us in!
PFF
System Bot
revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Wow "what's his name" talks like a president or something.... bunch of nothing!

Waco would be great ! SOME of us have been there for the 1st annual Waco Fiero meeting!

there is a lake in Waco! It's never too hot when the lake is near.....
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pumpkincarriage:
... Oklahoma sucks. No offense to the Oklahoma people ...

too late, i take offense to it. since i'm an okie.

... and everyone looks at my car

for that OK statement, i'm not going to look at your car no matter how pretty it is. lol...

since it looks like the RRR will be the second weekend of October, I'm OUT. For me, i'll either have my
big butt parked in a stadium seat or in front of the TV watching the big game.
procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
Hey I'm for Waco too! Just FYI we could check into Camron Park? I don't know if they have cabins but nice scenery. Also if anyone is interested.....

This weekend they are having a car show and rally in Waco saturday evening at 6:00pm till ? Take I-35 exit Lake Shore Drive go east about 1/4 mile and on the left at the "Open Door Church". I plan on being there but I don't know what I'm taking yet. Probably not the Fiero....not ready yet... May show my GEO!

Would any one be interested in an unofficial autocross? My other club has been doing it at the TSTC airport. Just a thought.

Bob
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Well I plan on being at the RRR where ever it might end up being. But would like to get the dates so I can take the vacation time off work to make sure I get to go. The sooner I know the easier it is for me to get my vacation approved. So lets atleast get the dates out there and the place can come later.
CenTexIndy

Feedback score:    (32)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post
Ok - If y'all want it to be in Waco, I can start working on it. The Bears do not play on 10/13. They play at home the weekend before and the weekend after. I can start doing serious checking around next week if y'all want me to.

I can try to get some favors called in b/c there are 2 very famous ranches nearby that we could go cruise by and possibly at one of them have a fun "hunting" demo done for us by a famous celebrity who will have to remain nameless at this time...

We can easily arrange tours of the Dr. Pepper Museum, the Texas Ranger Museum and the Texas Sports Hall of Fame (I know the curators of all 3).

I could also possibly arrange a softball game at the Baylor Ballpark (if anyone is interested).

And of course there is a Drive-In Theatre (first-run movies) only 35 minutes away.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by CenTexIndy:

Everything you said sounds great to me.
I get off work Monday the 9th for Columbus Day, so that weekend (7th-8th) would be perfect, but whatever works for everybody.

procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
Centexindy, Are you talking about my "Uncle Ted"? Or "Cousin Willie"? I wish..... I forgot about all those places. The sad thing is..I'm only 45 miles from there. Buy the way... is there still camping at Spiegal Ville Park? or Cameron park? If there is a camp site I could bring my fiero on a trailer. I have a long way to go with it. Even PaPa Rollos sounds good right now too.
green87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for green87Send a Private Message to green87Direct Link to This Post
Wow I'm down for waco. I vote Drive-in movie, "Uncle Teds" crazy ranch, and a nice place to do a car show like on the river downtown. Find me a cheap hotel and I'm there!

blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Waco is reading like a promising destination! (I never thought I would ever type that)

CenTex, past Ruckus events have been VERY diverse and often have reflected the character of the host. One thing that has been so nice about them is the informality that people have adopted, taking the event as much as an excuse to see old friends as opposed to making sure the last speck of dirt was removed from the right rear wheel liner... BUT, we have had 1 judged show, and people liked that too! I am just typing that informal is fine, and based on time constraints, probably better at this point. Whichever way you want to steer is a where the Fiero's will follow.

Allow me to give you a brief rundown of the past 4 Ruckus's (Ruckii?) to give you a picture (PFF loves pics) of what we did and associated costs:
There are other threads that I did not include for buildup (much like this one... where ideas and details are hammered out)

RED RIVER RUCKUS -- Lake Texoma, host Chuck Hodges (miraculously planned and coordinated this event from Houston, Texas... with minor contribution help from John Fussel and I) ((was vowed never to do an event w/o having a local person present EVER again)) (((Dear God, ever again)))
--- Friday was cookout at Fussel's RV in the State Park
--- Saturday was attendee judged car show in morning, with numerous Fiero Rodeo games that afternoon. Games directed by Chuck Hodges. Wildly sucessful, and quickly became a Ruckus tradition. Ate at local Steakhouse that night.
--- Sunday, morning was 50 mile cruise to Sonic & back, Awards banquet lunch, Fiero Fued game hosted by me. (Loyde won)
$$$ Lodge was about $47 a night, event was $35 -- covered shirts, dash plaques, goody bags, tons of homemade awards, numerous supplies, and 1 banquet ticket. Could buy additional banquet tickets. If I remember right, Chuck still had a lot out of pocket expenses, not to mention time and gas for 2-3 trips up there. He never complained, though I know he was not in a position to foot that bill.

We had about 35 cars and over 50 attendees. 2 PFF'ers came from New York, and the Strickers debut'd the Finale at this event.
We also had two N*'s, a 4.9, and a 3800sc. Many folks had never seen these swaps.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20030204-1-022612.html

RED RIVER RUCKUS REDUX -- Initially agreed to be hosted by once very active and controversial member SmoooothGT/NotAFieroAnyLonger in east Texas with funding coming from Loyde.

At the end August, with nothing concrete, JohnF and I bundle off to Jefferson hoping we could figure something out. We find a hotel in the pine trees at Lake 'O the Pines willing to book a smallish event. Blocked 8 rooms. I think we actually sold 12 or so! Since Chuck was not going to be available for games... and it looked like interest was small, so no car show... John and I just planned activities to make up for it. What to do in Jefferson? What to do indeed? We just planned a day of cruising with photo ops, and handing a card out at each stop to be our Ruckus game. a poker run. Went over the Lake 'O the Pines dam, Sonic, Caddo Lake State Park, a bayou river cruise with stand up comedy provided by Revin, and then a 1 hour wind down period in Jefferson before assembling at some burger joint owned by the mayor... who loved us. Guy from San Antonio won the poker run... an Indy 500 cap signed by Hulki himself... donated by Loyde (who could not come). The event was small(ish) but the usual suspects were all there. And all had a good time. The river boat was a resounding success, and it was agreed that putting in an activity at a car show event was a good tradition, as well as the games. Some of us are still plucking pine needles from dash vents.

I remember 4 Okies, Tom & wife, Doug, Meryl, Lanzo. I also recall that JScott, Dan & Katy, & the New's represented Houston. revin, Ken & Heidi came in from Austin. Fussel, Will Martin and I from DFW. The Parker's and Robert in from AAFO. And Smooooth actually turned up for a few hours Saturday night. We had about 15 cars and 27 attendees.

The hotel was about $65 a night (terrible beds)... you should have seen the place Fuss & I said "NO Way!" to). River cruise was $7.00... shirts were 10 bucks. No registration. The shirts became a huge headache, by the time we had the event planned and posted, Chuck offered to do the shirts & dash plaques, sent them up with the New's. Loyde footed the bill. It was a rush job, for which we paid a penalty and it seems like Loyde was out money on the shirts as a result. Shirts became a headache to all involved. Loyde, Chuck, and the New's which had to haul them up.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20040223-1-034804.html

RUCKUS 3 --- San Angelo. Hosted by dear friends Don & Jane York.

They did everything. Got a hotel. Planned a cruise route through somewhat flat Texas that turned out to be a lot of fun. Did you know that a buzzard from wingtip to wingtip has a longer span than a Fiero hood? Got a venue for the show. They lasso'd Chuck back in to resurrect the Rodeo Games, which were again a lot of fun. The games actually were fun for kids too who usually did better than the adults. revin rigged many of the games. and still lost.

Friday -- meet & greet supper
Saturday -- Car show at O'Reilly's with Rodeo Games. Drew a lot of interest from passers by. Texas cruise with a stop at the Veterans Memorial Park culminating in a photo op at the local Pontiac dealership to check out the new GTO and Series 3 supercharged GTP's. Supper.
Sunday -- breakfast at IHOP with kind words by Don. Distribution of shirts.

Shirts again, ugh what a mess. Fussel took the lead on this one, and it cost Loyde a bunch of money again. We passed a hat or somesuch, and still came up short. I think because of the rush job. It seems like there was a nominal registration fee. I know the Yorks put a lot of pride and effort in pulling off this wonderful event.

We had about 25 or so cars, and 40 attendees. Okies again well represented. We all met cliffw for the first time. Good attendance from all the major clubs.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20050119-1-046372.html

CAPITOL CITY RUCKUS --- Austin, hosted by Ken & Heidi, and someone else.

Friday -- eat & greet
Saturday -- Parking lot social, Kevin collected funds for lunch, Ken & Heidi distributed the goody bags. Cruise stops were used to distribute cards for a poker run. Cruise to amazing lunch. Amazing BBQ. Did I mention that lunch was good? Post lunch went to some little Texas Trading post place. Cruised Austin hills to a lake house with fajita supper and boat rides. Ruckus games furnished by Ken & Heidi, run by Kevin and I. Amazing night. Heidi got sponsors and had lots of raffle prizes. Extra poker cards sold for charitiy. I think Richard won the poker prize of a Fiero logo bag. Raffle covered expenses, which were numerous, and combined with poker proceeds, a tidy sum was sent to Austin Smiles, a local charity. Heidi also had white elephant style awards for some of the more nefarious attendees.

Costs were about $60 for the hotel (not sure)... + $25 registration fee. That money went a lot of different places, shirts, goody bags, meal ticket, numerous expenses and charity. This was the only event to not cost any one person an imposing amount of money, though the hosts certainly put in an imposing amount of effort and time. Also the only event to have a enough proceeds donatable to charity.

Car and people wise, AAFO and NTFC held a contest, we had more participating cars, they had more people and somehow I lose a bet (cough, rigged, cough). If I remember right NTFC had 12 cars, AAFO had 10, our loyal Okies all showed up, JScott represented Houston. Total of 30 or so cars and about 65 people. Heidi has accurate numbers.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20060206-1-055021.html

----------------------------------------------

Well there's a Ruckus rundown, and it actually brought back a lot of fond memories... some not so fond too. Sore body and mind after Austin, Pulled over in Longview, JohnF had a worrisome illnes after Texoma... had to babysit his Fiero and then was wrecked returning it to him Hey CenTex, can I drive your Indy? But the friendships and memories made are rewards that far outweigh the expense(s). revin nailing a cone blindfolded at 40mph, cap'n revin of the bayou, revin racing Loyde in San Angelo, revin's map of the Austin cruise...

Looking back here are some observations.
1) The Ruckus started big, and despite a second year downturn has continued to grow in size. It has become something Texas & Oklahoma expects in Ocotber.
2) With no set itenerary, the event can be as loose or formal as the host desires
3) It appears that the more organized the event, the larger the turn out. I can also vouche that the more organized and structured an event is, the more hassle and stress potential one creates.
4) T-shirts are a hassle. From the artwork to the deadlines, to the vendors, to the shipping, to the collecting of funds, to the distributing, to the people that paid but did not attend. T-shirts are a hassle. And this coming from a person never in charge of shirts! I was just backup and got these headaches second hand! Now if someone wants to step up and ride that bronc, give them the reigns. Maybe they have a hook-up or prior experience that mitigates the aformentioned hurdles. Maybe someone has some random artwork they want splashed. (another tip... People like the cars. The pegasus logo is cool and all, but people like the cars)...
Just beware the T-shirt mire. Ruckus 2 was not even going to have shirts until Loyde offered to foot the bill. It cost him though, and thank goodness Chuck had some discarded artwork from another CFOG event that we could alter to make do.

CenTex, are you still game? If so... we need:
1) a host hotel. points to look for are affordable, easy access, near a breakfast joint is a plus.
2) parking lot. big enough to accomodate 25 cars. Even larger if we play games involving the cars.
3) cruise route. Last year people complained that to 80 or so miles (it included lunch AND dinner though!) was too long. I liked it though. Of course I did... Kevin and I came up with it! If you want some help... I say let me do it. It will be a 195 mile epic called "The Full Tanker, I Broke Your Banker"... and will include stops from Hearn to Hillsboro via Hico.
4) Chow. Fiero people eat. A lot.
5) Locations of all Taco Cabana's or cheap Margarita distribution points.
6) Itenerary. Loose or Structured. optional games. optional events. optional options.
7) T-shirts, love 'em or leave 'em. Ugh. People expect them. I have a closet full, so I am indifferent. Just whatever.

Reply in this thread what you need and I guarantee you that someone will step up and exceed your expectaions. If you can at least just find us a hotel and parking lot (or open field as you hinted) those will be the biggest hurdles. It looks like the date is a go for the weekend of the 13th, based on the Bears schedule. We had to allow for the Longhorns last year. But with just a hotel and parking... I promise it will be a success.

Well after the 10th margarita it will be deemed a success regardless.

Oh... and never, ever let us forget this thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20050818-1-049308.html

[This message has been edited by blakeinspace (edited 08-10-2006).]

pumpkincarriage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pumpkincarriageSend a Private Message to pumpkincarriageDirect Link to This Post
CenTexIndy- We'll all do whatever you've planned for us to do... but keep in mind the time issue, I know from experience that too many activities in too short of time will only stress you out. However, 10 hour (or so they seem) show and shines can get a little boring too. And I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't care much about ranches or sports... Dr. Pepper is some good stuff though.

I think we should have shirts (I'm wearing my RoundUp 9.5 shirt right now), and I'll be willing to take responsibility for them if need be. I don't exactly have 'hook-ups', but I'm decent with artwork and have looked into having shirts made before.

Lots of people and Fieros, a cheap hotel, a non-trafficy cruise route, good food, and some alcohol will always make for a great event... if you can get down those factors there's no need to worry about anything else.

-Amber
PFF
System Bot
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Don't forget the first Ruckus included the Cruise Quiz - a written multiple-guess exam given after the cruise, to see how observant everyone was. I forgot who the winner was, but it was amazing how many he/she got right.

The first Ruckus would have broke even, but a certain thief absconded with much of the registration funds. That person is no longer around, except for selling some stuff on ebay, I'm told. We didn't get enough evidence to take it to court, unfortunately.

The handmade awards turned out to be more expensive to make than I anticipated. But I wanted my first event to be done right, you know? I learned a lot from that event, like don't ever call anybody's car "ugly", even if it is.

The Ruckus Redux shirt logo was not a leftover, if you were talking about the red shirts. I was inspired by the Apocalypse Now Redux movie poster. I replaced the helicopters with a formation of Fieros flying across the sky. Still, I learned that I am NOT the logo design king.

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 08-03-2006).]

Dgzfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DgzfieroSend a Private Message to DgzfieroDirect Link to This Post
I was trying to post an answer here last night but my cable modem was acting up, then today I seen blake gave a response that pretty much hit all the stuff that Tom has run into, about the lodges here and all that.If it's in Waco I'll let eveyone here know.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
You guys have been busy planning. I wish I had gotten in this thread earlier I might have been able to steer it to Galveston...nothing like cruising the seawall with the t-tops off...but then I might have had to help organize. So Waco it is!

I might even have a Fiero street legal again by then, although probably not a chop top. I hope there isn't a massive conflict and I can't make it.
CenTexIndy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2006 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post
Not much time to post right now - LOTS of info to follow once I have heard back from some people and have the time to sit and type more...

Waco will be host city (ok: town).

Have already arranged to show the cars Saturday afternoon at the Texas Sports Hall of Fame parking lot (right off of I-35) and 1 Free pass to the museum for each family that comes (thank you to Jay Black - the curator of the museum).

In contact now and waiting to find out if we get to take a fun cruise route to "Uncle Ted's" place for a little demonstration (for those who do not want to go to that, I am working on a deal with the Cameron Park Zoo).

Also, talking with the Heart o' Texas Fair and Rodeo about getting us some recognition and into the concerts there.

The Drive-In is something that I am looking at doing Friday night with a cook-out and/or catered by a local BBQ joint, and there is a Holiday Inn in Gatesville (where the Drive-In is) and I am also in touch with a couple of families who have a lot of land that can be camped on.

Saturday morning will be the time to clean the cars and then cruise to Waco for the showing of the cars at the Hall of Fame. The Texas Ranger Museum and the Mayborn Museum are both only 2 blocks from the Hall of Fame and may be something that some are interested in.

Still waiting for a call back from Baylor about using the Softball field for a short game.

Food will not be a problem, as I am talking to a few restaurants about sponsoring the event (including the famous George's Bar).

Shirts are in the process of being designed (trying to make it to where these will be FREE)

This sounds like a lot, but I am sure that some of the events will not pass through the event b/c of time.

More infor to follow...this was all I could arrange between meetings yesterday.

[This message has been edited by CenTexIndy (edited 08-04-2006).]

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2006 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
just checked my schedule (actually OU's) and the big game is on the 7th so the
weekend of the 14th would work for me. going to "Uncle Ted's" would make the
trip for me, then seeing all the nice cars and meeting folks.

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2006 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

In contact now and waiting to find out if we get to take a fun cruise route to "Uncle Ted's" place for a little demonstration (for those who do not want to go to that, I am working on a deal with the Cameron Park Zoo).

What is "Uncle Ted's", and why wouldn't I want to go there?

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2006 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
ted neggent----- strangle hold

good song!

will he be there to sign my guns and bow and arrows???

What is happing there this sat????
CenTexIndy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2006 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post
Revin - What is happening where this Sat? If you are talking about my area - I am not sure...I know that I had to go do a quick cover of AF1 as it flew in, but I didn't have the time to talk to anyone about what is happenin'.

Ted Nuggent's Ranch is just down from Bush's ranch...no reason you wouldn't want to go there, but some of the kids and wives (if any plan on coming) may not want to go, b/c he can be a little crude. I am doing my best to get us a demo by Uncle Ted with guns and bows...I will have to check to see if he will sign anything, but I can't imagine he wouldn't if we are able to go out there.

Check out his show if you want to see what the ranch looks like.
pumpkincarriage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2006 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pumpkincarriageSend a Private Message to pumpkincarriageDirect Link to This Post
Some of us that wouldn't be interested in guns and bows and ranches and sports and rodeos and all other things which commonly spew testosterone aren't actually the wives and kids... maybe it's just me but it seems like there are many, many hours of completely un car related activities being lined up. Since it's really about the cars and the people, not so much about family vacation to a new town... couldn't maybe that aspect be included a bit more?

Again, maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, and it's not like I wouldn't come regardless of the activities, but maybe it's something to think about?

-Amber
CenTexIndy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2006 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post
Amber - There are car related events also in the works...just haven't had the chance to list everything...the showing of the cars at the Hall of Fame will be nice, and there seems like there will be the possibility of 2 - 3 cruises. We will be showing the cars at the Drive-In and the Hall of Fame, and there will be plenty of chances for the beer and the conversations....

Didn't mean to make this a family vacation event...just trying to get something in this for everyone.

I know you don't seem to be interested, but not everyone gets a chance to go to Ted's ranch, and this could easily be a once-in-a-lifetime thing, and if I can get us in, I want to be able to do that.
PFF
System Bot
pumpkincarriage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2006 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pumpkincarriageSend a Private Message to pumpkincarriageDirect Link to This Post
If it were just the ranch I wouldn't have said anything. I don't honestly know anything about Ted Nugent, or why the ranch is amazing, but like I said, if that were the sole activity that didn't have anything to do with Fieros that would be no issue at all because apparently some people are interested. However, having a show at the SPORTS hall of fame, then getting a HUNTING demonstration, before playing a game of SOFTBALL, then having an evening at the RODEO... seems a little much, and a little outside of most of our interests. I know you don't know any of the Fiero crowd very well, but you might be missing the mark a little here.

I'll keep my mouth shut now, until I hear more about the Fiero related parts of the Ruckus will be.

And like I've said before- keep an eye on your clock here- the time it takes to gather people, get them in their cars, get to a place, do the activity and get them on the road to the next destination- is alot longer than you'd normally expect. Unless you have more hours in your day than I do in mine?

-Amber
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2006 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

. I don't honestly know anything about Ted Nugent, or why the ranch is amazing, ...

I'll keep my mouth shut now, until I hear more about the Fiero related parts of the Ruckus will be.
-Amber

Who is Ted Nugent??? No it's not just you. I personnally wouldn't mind 9 hours of show and shine. Most of the shows I've been to lately have cut back on the show and shine and I feel rushed to see all the cars. At the Ruckus last year I don't think I made it around to see half the car before we were packing up to go to the next event.
green87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2006 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for green87Send a Private Message to green87Direct Link to This Post
Ok I can settle part of this one. Fiero softball, first we need a big beach ball, then a park with a field we can drive our fieros on, then we take off one windshield wiper to use as a bat. Ok the pitcher will park on the mound and throw the ball and then the batter hits it and floors it to first base with dirt flying everywhere. This way we never have to get out of our cars becuase some of us aren't very in shape enough to run around a big field. How about Nochies versus Fastbacks?

-Daniel
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2006 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by green87:

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 08-04-2006).]

CenTexIndy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2006 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post
Green87 - NOW THERE IS AN IDEA!!! Let me see what I can come up with.

Showing the cars at the Sports Hall of Fame is just an easy, convenient, and large area to show the cars...nothing more. As far as the Rodeo, I was going to try to get us into the concert...not the rodeo, but I will not pursue that any longer, since it is clear no one is really interested...

As far as Ted's ranch goes, I really thought that would be something fun to do that not a lot of people have an opportunity to do...I mean, I know that I would like to go and be able to hang out with a rock-n-roll star for a little while, but maybe I am just a little different than everyone else.

Ok - So how is this?:

Friday nite - meet and greet and show at the Last Picture Show Drive-In in Gatesville (35 minutes west of Waco) - the movies start at about 8:30 and will either be 1, 2, 3, or an all-night 5 movies...not sure yet...dinner will be provided and camping should be available for the night.

Saturday morning - Breakfast and Clean and shine the cars and then a Cruise Route to Waco.
Saturday afternoon - Showing the cars at the Hall of Fame (this truly is a GREAT location) - games involving the cars and other stuff during this time - Lunch to be provided.
Saturday evening - Fiero Softball - Notchies vs Fastbacks with dinner provided afterwards - probably at George's Bar (and another opportunity to show the cars - that will make 3 different locations that the cars will be seen and appreciated)
Saturday night - Hotel info will be given - also checking into camping at Lake Waco if that is what more people would prefer.

Sunday morning - Breakfast for those that are still around - and cruise route to one of our various locations nearby (Nugent's place, Bush's place, the Branch Davidian compound, etc). - and I think it would be neat to get some photos of the Fieros going around the Waco traffic circle and taking up almost the entire thing.

[This message has been edited by CenTexIndy (edited 08-04-2006).]

blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2006 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to spew testosterone (what a visual)... but I am all about the potential of going to Ted Nugents ranch.
Even if it isn't this trip, I would love to go. Normally one has to pay $1500 to go on a hunt, and here we have the opportunity to see a legend and have him do a demo?! Freakin cool. So for those who don't know about Terrible Ted, or care... let me just give some different perspectives on why a vist to his place would be a worthy endevour.

1) Even if you have no interest in Elvis, wouldn't you like to see Graceland?
2) So the Beattles aren't your thing, wouldn't a visit to Abby Road be a nice conversation point?
3) Or you find yourself in Pontiac, Michigan, but fail to get a photo by the sign because it requires getting out of the car?
4) A friend of a friend is friends with Puffy Combs, and offers to let you hear a live demo, but you hate rap... and you say "NO WAY!"
5) You're a liberal, but are allowed on W's ranch, or your a Bible thumping Baptist and are given the chance to tour Clinton's mansion.
6) You are a dyed in the wool GM enthusiast, but decline the chance to tour the Ford Museum.
7) I hate country music, but would not turn down the opportunity to see Randy Travis strum a few cords live...

I don't know if that changes anyone's perspective, but that is kinda what it would be like. If you don't know... Ted Nugent is a classic rock icon. He loves the outdoors and he loves game and by Jesus Christ, he certainly loves America. So, if for nothing else, as a token of life experience, sparing an hour from a car show to see a legend... an honest legend... not like Billy Ray Cyrus, Humpty Hump, or Mister Mister (I guess if I know those names, they must be partially legendary)... anyway, an honest legend would be a cool thing to do.

But like I also said, maybe not this time, maybe another... but it would be a shame to be in LA and not see the 'HOLLYWOOD' sign because you didn't look up the hill...

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000742137
blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2006 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

blakeinspace

5923 posts
Member since Dec 2001

and I think it would be neat to get some photos of the Fieros going around the Waco traffic circle and taking up almost the entire thing.

Dude... we'd need a lot of cars... (I've been pulled over there, on the circle, apparently I cut off the cop trying to figure the durn thing out...,going to La Grange. Been pulled over there too, now that I think about it...)

You also mentioned supper provided at the drive-in and lunch provided at the Hall of Fame. That almost implies 'free.' Are you able to share details on this, or am I misinterpreting? Free is good, but not expected at any of these events. Or is it something like-- a flat fee is collected per food consuming unit and then mana and quail appear on tables with fountains of Mountain Dew?

CenTexIndy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2006 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post
I am working on getting sponsors for the event and that will take care of the food and t-shirt costs (hopefully). If not, a minimal fee will have to be charged.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2006 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Sponsors, food, t-shirts, drive-in, traffic circle, Dr. Pepper, TX sports museum, Fiero softball ...

... and by gum...

freakin' TED NUGENT !!!

OMG !!!

Now I just gotta get myself a running Fiero before October 13th! And no, I ain't kidding.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock