Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Rockin Red River Ruckus Road Rally (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
Rockin Red River Ruckus Road Rally by cliffw
Started on: 03-22-2007 03:09 PM
Replies: 653
Last post by: moleman_in_a_FieroGT on 10-14-2007 10:53 PM
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2007 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
As I mentioned, we know each other well. I really would like to interest PFF members from far away. Hence the "furthest away" award. In y'alls PFF postings, name drop this thread.
IP: Logged
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2007 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
I`ll be there and I will need a room
Mike
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2007 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:
Is there any interest ?

An hour and 15 minute drive, 67miles. More Hill Country scenery.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2007 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
This has gotten me excited. I think I will brave the 101 degrees tomorrow and install my new parking brake cables and adjuster hardware. My rear caliper hardware kits should be here tomorrow or the next day. I might even put the new front fender on that I got from "86blackse" a month ago. Gettin close fellas, gettin close.

Joe Crawford
Texas
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2007 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
IF you were a VERY GOOD SON you'd just pay for my room an dI might bring the Roadster down....................

John Stricker

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

going... will be staying at hotel... prolly split room with revin or stephen or daniel or chuck or...

Fierotaz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotazSend a Private Message to FierotazDirect Link to This Post
I plan on being there and will need a room.
Leroy
green87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for green87Send a Private Message to green87Direct Link to This Post
I'll be there and will need a room I guess with some one(blake, stephen) unless I can bribe some hot girl off the streets to go with me.

Daniel Clark
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Great news on the new attendees.
sanderson, I can not edit your list. Can you keep it current? If not I will cut and paste it and keep it edited.
Latest post bump....
No interest in the Bat Cave? Only Blake interested in races? How 'bout the Naval museum? Lukenbach is very close and has great music on weekends. ???? Early arrivals? Extra cruise routes? Lake activities?
I am off to Houston/ Humble. maryjane is around Cleveland. I am not a drop in kinda guy but.... Anyone have his number? He had mentioned he would like to come earlier this year.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 08-22-2007).]

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Cliff... I will re-iterate this... please don't give me a thumbs down icon again... that really bothered me.

As host, you have the priviledge of setting the itenerary.

Parts of ANY of it will look good to SOMEBODY... but as we can't do all of it, pare it down to what you want your vision of this Ruckus to be.

Yes, YOU.

Don't call it 'our' Ruckus... The 'our' part is 'our' attendance... Throw the letter 'y' in there, and that is what is going to make this thing work... 'your' vision.

What your seeing here, is the typical response we have for every show. The main thing people want is the venue & date. We provided input on the date, and those points being decided, most guests are perfectly happy letting the events fold out as directed. Don't mistake lack of input for lack of interest. Attendees will be content with whatever itenerary you provide... be it bat caves (I like caves & bats, BTW)... or the Autozone parking lot. Honest. (see my next post)

--------------

Pop... you come on down to central Texas and I will pick up your hotel expense... on the condition that Sandy sleeps in my room

Taz... I am seriously glad you think you can make this. What real pleasure to meet one of our Arizone cousins!
blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

blakeinspace

5923 posts
Member since Dec 2001
(quick aside regarding host stress)... On the Jefferson Ruckus, our local contact provided no support, and JohnF and I drove out to East Texas with about a month before the expected show date. We scouted hotels, secured a date, found a short cruise (not know a single thing about the area)... realized we needed some filler... threw in a Bayou tour and stop at the state park, (both of which costs $), found a place willing to set aside a room for 30 for supper... and had us a show. John and I really worried if people would be ok with the bayou thing... or was our cruise too bland... or was the cost to high. People loved it. Not a complaint about anything. They just wanted to get together and do something, ANYTHING, and we provided a means to make it happen. Many had NO idea that it was a last minute throw balls and hope we get a strike show. Afterwards John & I were talking, and realized the preshow stress was futile. I know you don't have enough experience in this sort of thing to avoid the stress---

But asking for all these options and opinions will just compound your anxiety. Case in point... you remember the additional headaches Rob White incurred trying to fix a Round-Up date & restuarant this year? You couldn't help but feel sorry for him. So put away the stress. Put away the anxiety. Understand you will not hear one complaint. Understand that people don't mind a reasonable cost. After the show you will appreciate the work you did when waving farewells to your friends that got to visit & see a city like only a local can.
revin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
*.*

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 08-27-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

They just wanted to get together and do something, ANYTHING, and we provided a means to make it happen.

The Boss is right...

The only griping going on is that people wanted a date...people wanted to know it was real and that it was going to happen. Everything else is secondary. We all just want to get together, what happens next is of less importance.

I really liked the Jefferson setting. It was very cool to have every other car going down the street being a Fiero. We should more often take over a small town like that.
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post

Pop... you come on down to central Texas and I will pick up your hotel expense... on the condition that Sandy sleeps in my room

Are you suggesting a SWAP and if so, have you cleared it with YOUR better half?????

What makes you think you can even survive a night with a 3rd degree black belt anyways? I've had to train for 30 years to be able to just speak in the mornings......

John Stricker
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Cliff... I will re-iterate this... please don't give me a thumbs down icon again... that really bothered me.

Understood. Please know that I did not give you a thumbsdown. I just nixed your sentiment. Let me re-iterate. This is our rally. Oh, I can call it good and everyone will be thankful. I WANT BETTER !
Strangely enough, the stress is a lot of the fun. Truthfully, I am not even stressing, . Perhaps I do have moments but this has honestly been fun. Maybe I can even admit that I like stress, .
Just before this post I e-mailed the local Americana radio station. I am still trying to do more. I will not stop. Till the last Fiero leaves. I do have a vision and I know everyone is gonna have fun, bar none. I realize I may not even be responsible for that. I mean to be though. My main plan is set, outlined even in this thread. My questions are for extra curricular activities. Even solo. Not everyone might want to go to a honkey tonk. Some might want to cruise more of the Hill Country. Do not think my questions reek of a lack of finality. They are set above.
I am gonna throw this in also. Anyone want to go to church Sunday morning? A twenty mile drive out Harper road to Wild Ride Ministries. Not my normal congregation but.....it will bless you. 10:30 AM service. We will be on Hwy 290 and can meet in Fredericksburg for the farewell around noonish.
Again, Blake, no offense with the thumbs down. Why would I even do that to you if not for the sentiment I disagreed with? Guys, I might not even do a good job but don't ruin my fun in trying, .
Agenda issues :
Blake, do you accept? The far away traveler award. Life is too hectic here for me to be keeping up with monies. Be my Secretary of the Treasury. Please. Manage this affair. Maybe John from Kansas, fierotaz from Arizona, maybe others. We might have to split it evenly.
sanderson, the attendee list is invaluable. I missed that and again am too busy. Would you please do that for me?
ehh...I am responding to Blake comforting me into lightening up and not to stress. Thanks Blake.
WisconsinGT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WisconsinGTSend a Private Message to WisconsinGTDirect Link to This Post
I am stressed reading this thread. Keep up the good work Cliff. I like having options and I see you are making them available. Thanks for all your hard work!!!

[This message has been edited by WisconsinGT (edited 08-22-2007).]

sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
Attendees list on page 3 has been updated. Current hotel room count is 11.
sanderson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

sanderson

2203 posts
Member since Sep 2001
I'd like to suggest we plan a trip to the Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg on Sunday afternoon for those interested. Admission is $7. I spent a couple of hours there recently and didn't get a chance to see everything. For any WW II buffs they have some interesting stuff - an Avenger Torpedo bomber, a PT boat, the Japanese midget sub captured at Pearl Harbor, Japanese and American Tanks plus a lot more. The museum was started as a tribute to Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz the overall Naval commander for the Pacific Theater. General MacArthur got a lot of the press but the U.S. Navy and Marines won the war in the Pacific. Admiral Nimitz grew up in Fredericksburg and his family owned the Nimitz Hotel that is now part of the museum.
blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

The Texas Fiero "Boss" has spoken (again)

*cough cough* impeach *cough cough*

Don't think that went unnoticed, you scoundrel. Fine... YOU take my place as NTFC pres. Then I'd at least be guaranteed to see you 12 times a year
I've even got a room with this great bed you can stay in...! I call it 'The Stricker suite'

And then JScott echo's the name... 'The Boss...' what am I? Bruce Springsteen?
<---- (sings) "We're coming to Ameri... I mean Kerrville... TODAY!"

Elvis had TCB (Takin' Care of Business), and I have TFB (Texas Fiero Boss).

"Thank you very much. Thank You."
revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
*.*

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Or with the recent dis from Steven and Daniel--- The "Don't stay here ever again home"......

Are you still upset they didn't swing by Austin on the way from Dallas to Houston?? Let's see, next time I'm taking a trip to the corner store, I'll swing by Austin on the way. Will that make you feel better? (oops almost forgot the smiley...I'm joking)

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 08-23-2007).]

fierosa

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosaClick Here to visit fierosa's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosaDirect Link to This Post
I should be able to get at least "one" day off from the new employer, so count me in!
No Hotel Needed

------------------
Rob White, Atascosa Texas

The Pontiac Fiero, Americas Go-Cart for Grownups....

PFF
System Bot
revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
*.*

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2007 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Bump!!!

I have the weekend off and will be preparing for the event starting Monday. I have alot of work to do.
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post08-25-2007 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
Wish I could be there. I'd actually consider making the trip, but that our anniversery weekend. Mayne next year.
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2007 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by WhiteDevil88:

Wish I could be there. I'd actually consider making the trip, but that our anniversery weekend. Mayne next year.

That would be cool. I have wanted to come out to the California Coast Run, but it seems I am likely to relocate the other direction. If so, I'll try to keep my calendar open for the 2008 Ruckus - the Galveston Rescue Resurrection Revival Ruckus ("GRRRR" ). See you there! Btw, lern howe too tipe.

And then JScott echo's the name... 'The Boss...' what am I? Bruce Springsteen?
<---- (sings) "We're coming to Ameri... I mean Kerrville... TODAY!"

Blake, you quoted a Neil Diamond song. Springsteen did Born in the USA. Not to be confused with Cheech Marin's Born in East L.A.

Oh and don't fear it Blake,
I have a room for you at my home as well.......I call it the "Don't clean this room or bath" ( that is Lupe's fav room now)

"Do NOT go IN THERE!!!" - Jim Carrey, Ace Ventura, Pet Detective

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2007 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

Blake, you quoted a Neil Diamond song. Springsteen did Born in the USA

Ha, Ha... Chuck you get the "Name that tune" award

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2007 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Ok guys, I have been in and out of Houston a couple of times. Humble Tx. even, 30 miles south of the Cleveland Tx area. maryjane's new home turf. I did not have time to drive up but the somewhat local assistance did not help me locate him. I would hate to drop in anyway. I want to get these dates to him. I will be going back that-a-way I think. Do I remember from his posts that he would be working at the wally-world distribution center ?
I will have finalized plans for lodging and other things by Wednesday. I am hoping to improve on the .05 cent a gallon gas discount. The Saturday evening event, well, I would like your input. I remember some wanting to save a little on dinner costs at the Round-Up. The River Walk can be pricey. I am wondering if we want a group dinner or if we might like to do each his own (McDonald's, Jack in the Box, Kentucky Fried Chicken, etc, etc.). I am working on a group discount at a couple of nicer eateries but more along the lines of an individual cost break. A percentage off. That way each can enjoy their own tastes. These eateries are reasonably priced. I believe I can get the menus on line for you.
'Ya know, Fiero people are great. A diversified bunch we are. Sharing with each other because of the Fiero. Cliff Pennock deserves a lot of credit in cementing our friendships. The Jeep guys and the Harley guys also have forums. Some forums are for owners and some for lovers. I am seeing conflicting ideals here. Some see this event as a meet, and it is. My wife is included in those some. I see it as my theme. A road rally. The Fiero, the Jeep, the Harley, are all meant to be driven.

Originally posted by josef644:
To all who have never been to the Hill country, Be prepared for some of the best scenery in Texas.

Originally posted by TXGOOD:
There are some great drives around Bandera and the hill country.

Originally posted by Cheever3000:
I think that route would be absofreakin awesome.

Chuck, it has been made better. I shaved some miles and added some funner roads and more scenery. Ther just is too much of all three, . That was, but has changed, is, the main route. 90 miles. I am mindful that some have expressed reservations about a long cruise because many will have to drive far to get here.
I am proposing a second cruise route. Along a scenic highway around Medina Lake. To the Oasis. Menu clicky at that site. The Oasis is just a short bit from Medina Lake dam. The forth largest in the USA. The Oasis and dam are also the closest part of the lake to San Antonio. Much more lake activity...boats, bikinis, fun.

Traveling this route .....url too long to compress. Help me out again Ray. Kerrville to Mico. Any can MapQuest it. 50 miles, one hour five minutes (one way). More roads, more scenery.
I love to drive my Fiero. These roads are Fiero roads. The roadways are as smooth as glass (city roads excluded, ) You will be impressed. I drive many miles anyway in my Fiero or not. I love to drive. As I said sometime before, "I do not need you to drive my roads". I just think you would enjoy them. The Ruckus Cruise Route will not take us through Bandera. The Oasis drive will. I have been all over Texas and many know of Bandera. Which can be a stop, in route...no detours, on the way back from dinner.
This is our rally, you make the call. Gas discounts will be available all weekend. I have a tow dolly, tools, and four Fieros parts donors, . Parts will be free. As I said, the Medina Lake dam is close to San Antonio. It could be a Round-Up run except for the scenery to Kerrville and the Bandera stop.
That ends up my thoughts for Saturday although I am looking into the race track schedule Blake. Any others interested?
Sunday is on for Fredericksburg. sanderson, I will be checking on a group rate for the Naval museum. I myself have never been. I suppose that there is no interest in a Sunday morning church service. Not a problem. I just want to clarify that Wild Ride Ministries is pure Holy Ghost gospel. Do not let the name fool you.
Ok, I also have suggested routes to get here. As I want you to enjoy the scenery and roads. I will be posting those a little later...tired of typing, . I don't post a lot but when I do, I post a lot. These next few days are for tying things together. Finalizing everything.
Oh yeah, Blake spoke with me about the furthest Fiero award. He will handle that. It can be done here when at the rally. We spoke of that the award may have to be split. jstricker from Kansas, fierotaz from Arizona, our Harlingen bunch, alll would be deserving. This rally is free. I would like to see on line pledges toward this award. We want more people here. We want new people here. We want all of our Fiero people here. I see it as though all the regulars are excluded. Only new blood can be eligible. I also see a money figure as an inticement. Make your pledges on line. I am in for twenty dollars.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 08-27-2007).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2007 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35978 posts
Member since Jun 2003
double post...to get my typing skills down to twenty minutes a word, .
I started that last post about 7:00AM. I did take a couple of breaks though, .

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2007 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35978 posts
Member since Jun 2003
oooh, ooooh, oooh, I am starting to have fun, .
It is looking better, .

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2007 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35978 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Nothing says love like the Rockin Red River Ruckus Road Rally. Do you really love her ? Or yourself ? Or your Fiero ?
The stimpy room is not booked at my house. .
Edit
Next year is the 25th.

sanderson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2007 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
I'm ok with 50 miles one way to the Oasis. We ate their at Round-up three or four years ago - good varied menu and great view.
PFF
System Bot
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post08-27-2007 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Nothing says love like the Rockin Red River Ruckus Road Rally. Do you really love her ? Or yourself ? Or your Fiero ?
The stimpy room is not booked at my house. .
Edit
Next year is the 25th.

Well the first RRR was actually our first anniversary. But I've promised Barb that we're going to jdo our anniversary at a place here in Salinas that is a retirement resreve for movie and tv animals- lions, tigers, elephants, etc. They have a bed and breakfast where the elephants bring you breakfast in the morning. So cool. I love elephants.

The other thing is, after dealing with California Fiero people, Barb is really turned off of the whole Fiero scene. I don't know how she'd go for that. And I don't have a 2 seater either.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2007 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

I don't know what to say. Go son, you have my blessings, .
Congrats to you you both. From Cindi and I.
One day though, you are gonna have to tangle with me. If, a big if, if you think that you can handle me, you are buying.
My best to you Jeff.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2007 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Does any one know of some good German food Resterants on our route. Not much here at Lake Livingston. New Bransfels has some good food!!
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2007 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Does any one know of some good German food Resterants on our route.

heh...I do. I got you covered.
I should report, the Admiral Nimitz museum is looking like a good don't miss venue.
While in my research, I found that the entry is fee is $7.00., Vets get in for $6.00, but that we can get in for $5.00 with a group of 20 or more. They say it's a worthy 3 hour tour and there are some great things to see. This happens to be in a German settlement community, Fredericksburg. I did look for German cuisine. I have three recomendations. I am undecided. Looking for discounts on feedbags.
Fredericksburg is only about 30 minutes away from Kerrville. This will be our farewell meeting departure location. In my research of the Admiral Nimitz museum, I found that we have an open pass to the Pacific Combat Zone exhibit. I am not sure if it's on the same grounds but we are welcomed at no charge. I understand it is interesting also.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2007 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35978 posts
Member since Jun 2003
It seems that Kerrville is a great place to be in October. Room availability seems tight. I still have irons in the fire. We will need to jump out of the frying pan though.
Here is what I have, though availability is going quick it seems in October.

Originally posted by sanderson:

I did a little internet searching on motels in Kerrville for the weekend of October 12-14. These are the internet rates for a single room with 2 people. These could likely be improved upon with a group rate.

Amerca's Best Value Inn - $49
Best Western - $81
Comfort Inn - $84
Days Inn - no vacancy
Econo Lodge - $66
Hampton Inn- $104
Holiday Inn Express - $85
Super 8 - no vacancy
YO Ranch Resort - $99
La Quinta - $99

OK, the best bet, and my original suggestion was/is the River Inn Resort, outside of Hunt TX about 10 miles from Kerrville. I do have to say, I was scout routing and saw that place. I thought "way cool ! I now see that is a bargain. $75.00 a night, 15 rooms available. It is on the banks of the Guadelupe river. Canoes are free though. They are also kitchenettes. Bar-B-Que pits and picnic tables on location included.
I like it. I still have irons in the fire. I have some of the regular phone book places to be finalized. As sanderson posted, regular rates are not cheap. I do know of some budget motels. I have said before that I will stop short of guaranteeing anything. I can say I leave my tools outside, I do not lock my truck, I don't even lock my house. Sometimes.
I can get some better rates for those that are like me. Poor, . Or frugal. Camping is available at a nice river side State Park. Any are welcome to camp at my place. I do have the room but not the restroom facilities. Share and share alike I guess. First come first served. We were here first, . I have a lot of room.
blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2007 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Cliff the 'River Inn Resort' sounds great... but the price you quoted is wrong. You quoted 'off-peak' prices.
Also, as the the studio rooms do not have 2 beds, that is not very conducive to people that are trying to split rooms.
This would be ideal for a couple looking for a scenic get-a-way... not a car show.

By the time you include tax, most people want out of the hotel for less than $70 a night. When we did Waco last year, I think Tim had us getting out for like $55 a night. It is important to take a look at least 2 rooms of the hotel you choose. If you see slime in the ice machine and green grout... cheap doesn't work as an excuse. Beleive me, John and I had to nix more than one place... and we had already negotioted good rates!

I wouldn't knock myself out with trying to get discounts at gas stations. Getting 8 gallons with a .05 cent discount?? Man, I think I can absorb the .40 cents. Now getting us a $10 better rate per night on a room or somesuch, or free appetizers per table at a resturaunt... now we're talking.

Are you doing OK? You're posts seem... exuberantly disjointed. I gotta tell you, that worries some people.
(of course not as much as being incomunicado!)

Make you a list. Prioritize the points. Perfect the top 5 or so, and once you've completed one, don't go back and mess with it. Then if time permists, work on the next 5. If it were me, the main 5 I would have right now would be:

1) establish hotel - by confirming availability and rates and proximity to food for breakfast or just hanging out.
2) establish meals - man cannot live by beer alone. Need bread too Can resturant handle 30+ in close proximity?
3) establish cruise - map, directions, points of interest, and stops
4) establish show - location, time, activities, awards
5) establish cost - shirts? money for any prizes? catering?
sanderson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2007 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

Does any one know of some good German food Resterants on our route. Not much here at Lake Livingston. New Bransfels has some good food!!

The best selection is in Fredericksburg - not on the cruise route but possibly an option for Sunday lunch

sanderson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2007 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

sanderson

2203 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Make you a list. Prioritize the points. Perfect the top 5 or so, and once you've completed one, don't go back and mess with it. Then if time permists, work on the next 5. If it were me, the main 5 I would have right now would be:

1) establish hotel - by confirming availability and rates and proximity to food for breakfast or just hanging out.
2) establish meals - man cannot live by beer alone. Need bread too Can resturant handle 30+ in close proximity?

Cliff, my advice on rooms would be to talk to some of the cheaper hotels like Econolodge and America's Best Value Inn and see if they would hold a block of rooms (say 15) for us at a discounted rate until a certain date like 9/15. Anyone who books with the group name before that date gets a room at the discounted rate and after that date you're on your own.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2007 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Cliff the 'River Inn Resort' sounds great... but the price you quoted is wrong. You quoted 'off-peak' prices.

Blake, , thank you for your help. I am trying.
I did not quote an 'off peak' price. That was a verbal quote from Brenda. For our rally. It is peak season. Many hotels have no group availability. (It is the start of hunting season. This is big hunting turf.) Were we to have done it sooner, and reserved rooms, we would still be looking at $75.00 or better. More importantly, it seems that the River Inn Resort still has enough block of rooms available for us all to be together. To boot, we get riverside scenic lodging, free conoes ( not sure of the # available), and B-B-Q pits. I am thinking the shine and show can be done there.

By the time you include tax, most people want out of the hotel for less than $70 a night.
Beleive me, John and I had to nix more than one place... and we had already negotioted good rates!

I am not done looking for a good room rate. They will be inspected. To Cindi's approval. I am not going for cheap. I am going for value.

I wouldn't knock myself out with trying to get discounts at gas stations. Getting 8 gallons with a .05 cent discount?? Man, I think I can absorb the .40 cents. Now getting us a $10 better rate per night on a room or somesuch, or free appetizers per table at a resturaunt... now we're talking.

Phone calls do not actually knock me silly. I also even did think that a ten gallon tank savings would be .50 cents. Whoop de do. But times twenty Fieros times three fill ups each, it still ain't much individually. So what, it ain't a problem. You do not get anything if you do not ask, .
As far as a better room rate, ....do you fish ? I am fixin to set the hook. Tomorrow. Or hope to. I am shooting a counter offer at River Inn Resorts. And all the other prospects. I am seeing that rooms seem to be costly. I am not going for cheap but I am looking to get a good deal. $55.00 is gonna be hard to beat. I am shooting for $69.00. I do still have other irons in the fire.

Are you doing OK? You're posts seem... exuberantly disjointed.

I resemble that remark, . I am fine, things are well. I always try to do everything. It is a fault but I also have worse, . We are gonna have a great rally. Wifey sees this thread. She sees that I am stressing y'all. If only y'all knew what she has to put up with, . She has told me what you are trying to. To say "this is it and that is that". "They don't care" (to a point). "They just want to get together". I see it too, I do.

#1 will be done tomorrow
#2 is being narrowed down from three enjoyable venues.
#3 is done.
#4 is harder.
#5, free.

...catering?

Now, that is still in the works. I can have a Texas State B-B-Q contestant B-B-Q for us. He has competed in the Houston Live Stock and Rodeo. And numerous other places. I am thinking this can be done right on the grounds of the River Inn Resort. He is a good friend of mine. He will do it for free. But, the meat/ingredients will cost. He loves to Que.
I am also inclined to do the wine and dine live music thing. Meaning an establishment. Looking to get any cover charge waived due to group buy.
I hope to have this decided by Friday.
It will be nice to say "this is it and that is that". I know better. We will have a plan however that can be counted on.

Rally planning, gotta go.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock