Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  hi-flo manifold update (Page 18)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 
Previous Page | Next Page
hi-flo manifold update by Francis T
Started on: 05-27-2004 03:16 PM
Replies: 1156
Last post by: Francis T on 07-09-2009 05:47 PM
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2005 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Without going out to measure, I think the flanges are 3/8. They are plenty strong enough. And we don't grind the all the welds down, to do that would add to the cost. We have sold a few uncoated intakes to people who did gring them smooth. Now on the inside where it counts, we do grind the welds to help with air flow.
I hope someone can put that MS Word file with the dyno info up here it's quite interesting.
IP: Logged
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2005 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Since I didn't have any luck transfering a chart from another post to this one, please take a look at the the post "posting MS Word drawing question" in PFFs Chat forum. It is a break down of Matt's dyno run into more understandable terms and is quite interesting. Feel free to put it here if you want.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2005 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:

Since I didn't have any luck transfering a chart from another post to this one, please take a look at the the post "posting MS Word drawing question" in PFFs Chat forum. It is a break down of Matt's dyno run into more understandable terms and is quite interesting. Feel free to put it here if you want.

Here it is. (Thanks to Capt_Fiero for converting the image.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-07-2005).]

cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
that most definitely speaks volumes!

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 09-08-2005).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
only 14 hp & 5 tq.
and look how much it lost down low - almost 30 tq at 1300rpm!

lol
good stuff. the numbers by themselves dont mean a whole lot till you see the RANGE of improvement - and thats a SOLID improvement
that 5000 RPM wall is a real killer

[This message has been edited by Pyrthian (edited 09-08-2005).]

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I thought you would find it interesting:
Indeed, when looking at the numbers there doesn't seem to be wourld of difference as to peak HP. But if you look at the dif around 5.5K, the stock unit is making around 50HP while our intake is making around 125HP and it kind of carries right on up the RPM range from there.
I wear pants

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I wear pantsSend a Private Message to I wear pantsDirect Link to This Post
Im just curious, do you know how much the intake by itself increases 1/4 times?
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2005 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
Now all you need is the right cam to take advantage of the intake improvement, and if you don't have them already a good set of headers, I'm sure you already have a K&N filter on it right
Oversteer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2005 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OversteerSend a Private Message to OversteerDirect Link to This Post
Nice work Francis, you have removed the high rev wall so indicative of the Fiero Intake. If you want to design anexhaust, I am sure you would be able to produce the same results. Equal length headers and a good crossover would be a good start. If you produced a unit without the EGR, I am sure we would see some excellent improvements.

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2005 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:

I thought you would find it interesting:
Indeed, when looking at the numbers there doesn't seem to be wourld of difference as to peak HP. But if you look at the dif around 5.5K, the stock unit is making around 50HP while our intake is making around 125HP and it kind of carries right on up the RPM range from there.

I'm sorry Francis but that chart at that particular area can't be accurate. It seems that run was dropped early as it seems to sharp a drop in both HP and TQ. My stock intake (Red line) was still making over 100HP at 5.5K rpm and all the way to almost 6K rpm. My 3.4 had stock cam, FOCOA headers, ported TB, underdrive pulley, ignition, CAI and Hypertech chip but all that won't make the 50-68hp difference shown there.

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 09-09-2005).]

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2005 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
We did not alter or do anything to that chart and had done more than 20 runs that day. It was no fluke, that's what it did with the stock intake. In addition to Matt's 3.4 about a year before, my 2.8 engine also fell flat on it's face sharply at around 4.5K rpm. I had at the time no turbo, but did have, headers, a Crane cam 0.5 higher comp pistons, ported heads with 5 ang valves and lots of other mods. Above 4.5K it was so rich (10,5 and richer) the wide band could not read it. That was what made us decide to build the first intake. Don't know why your dyno chart seems that good, when others have also have found these intakes to die at around 4.5k with or without other engine modifications. The folks at HP Works really know their stuff too, they build and and supertune everything, even funny cars. Every time we go there to use the dyno they have some really cool race engine or race car (or a bunch of cars) to drool over. These guys are pros and know their sh%&.
PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2005 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I'm not trying to imply that the dyno operator was not up to par neither that your intake does not delivers. Here is another stock 2.8 dyno chart (see thread link) showing above 90hp at 5.5k. I may be able to find more examples.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20020825-2-019756.html

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2005 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
http://www.geocities.com/lou_dias/Fiero.html

150rwhp @ 4700 rpm
127rwhp @ 6000 rpm

...cough...ported...cough...stock...cough...throttle...cough...body...cough...and...cough...intake...cough...

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2005 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

http://www.geocities.com/lou_dias/Fiero.html

150rwhp @ 4700 rpm
127rwhp @ 6000 rpm

...cough...ported...cough...stock...cough...throttle...cough...body...cough...and...cough...intake...cough...

Hmmm.. I don't see neither of them. Specially the 127@6K

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2005 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Hmmm.. I don't see neither of them. Specially the 127@6K

for some reason the guy who did my dyno used mph instead of rpm but on a getrag, ~120=6000rpm in 4th gear 100mph=5000rpm in 4th...etc...
it you are having problems viewing the page, type in the address yourself but make sure you use a capital 'F' on Fiero.html
oh and don't forget the '_' between my first and last name like in my userame here LOU_DIAS in lower case.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 09-11-2005).]

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2005 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
I have been checking this thread on and off, and I think that too many people are asking what the intake can do on the stock engine. To really get all of the benefits of the intake, you need to build an engine that isn't mismatched. You can't take an intake designed to give you power all the way to 7k on an engine that has a cam designed for power down at 2k and expect to see huge gains. The more you do to the engine to shift the powerband higher and to make more power, the more this intake will shine. I can't believe more people haven't jumped all over this. I think this intake, a cam, and headers would make for a vast improvement.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2005 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
you guys need to make up your minds - first you complain that the dyno results aren't from a stock engine becuase you can't see what gains were from the intake but when he posts his dyno result with stock intake and with the new intake on the SAME ENGINE you call fowl because his stock dyno doesn't match yours? - engines are not all equal even among the same model of 2.8 -- i've driven pristine condition getrag 2.8's that felt like dogs compared to my ragged out automatic 2.8 - his dyno shows what THAT engine was able to gain just from adding his intake - maybe yours isn't as bad to start with and maybe yours also has more room to gain from the intake - its just a baseline
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2005 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Granted, the more you do to your engine, the more our intake will shine, or more correctly put; the more you'll get from the bucks you spent on the other mods whereas the stock intake makes most mods not very cost effective. But as the dyno shows, even a stcok engine will gain a heck of a lot by just adding our intake and chip. Our customers will attest that fact. Simply put, the stock intake stinks, even with the stock cam etc. GM needed to make their intake fit under too many different hoods and thus it had to be as low as posiable. They did make it look nice though, but I'd rather have more power.
Oversteer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2005 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OversteerSend a Private Message to OversteerDirect Link to This Post
Well said. Have you thought about possibly making a cover for your intake. Then you could make it flow better with the engine and hide all the wires and what not on the top of the motor. Just an idea.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I never understood why people want to COVER UP a great new intake or engine that they just spent a lot of time installing. SHOW IT OFF!!!

If you think that wiring and such is too messy, then REORGANIZE IT UNTIL IT ISN'T!

It takes a lot more creativity and attention to detail to aesthetically arrange necessary parts than it does to cover them up.

Oversteer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OversteerSend a Private Message to OversteerDirect Link to This Post
I would like to advertise that I had a Trueleo but I would not want to show it off. It works great, but makes the engine bay look like crap. Wiring can be organized but its still nice to hide it places. Thats just my opinion
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I like the way it looks. It looks like POWER!

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Our latest intakes have a lot less welds on the TB to Plenium pipe and thus look better. But to some, most tube type intakes just look too busy or whatever, to which I say "to each his own." Not just because we make them, but I like the functional race car look of tube intakes, loved them on the V12s and other 70s exotic engines. And save your remarks that those intakes looked a lot better, they should, must cost well over $10,000.
On looks; here's a thought, my son-in-law got his first Fiero, an 87GT and we'll be making headers for it and putting one of our intakes on in gloss black powder coat along with gloss black valve covers that I'll belt sand the tops of to show the fins. He's going to paint the car a bright matalic silver and I can't wait to see a black version of our intake in his engine compartment.
Oversteer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OversteerSend a Private Message to OversteerDirect Link to This Post
You are right Francis. I have seen some nice pics, and I think the intake itself is a centre piece and I am sure in the right set up it would show off really nice, its just that the Fiero is one of the busiest looking engine bays and the intake hides none of the things the stock one does.

But hey your intake broke the 200 mark in hp so hey all the power to ya.

No more ugly comments I promise

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oversteer:

You are right Francis. I have seen some nice pics, and I think the intake itself is a centre piece and I am sure in the right set up it would show off really nice, its just that the Fiero is one of the busiest looking engine bays and the intake hides none of the things the stock one does.

But hey your intake broke the 200 mark in hp so hey all the power to ya.

No more ugly comments I promise

the fieros engine bay isn't that busy if you clean up the wiring and route the spark plug wires neatly

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:
route the spark plug wires neatly

Dee
Eye
Ess

Brian27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian27Send a Private Message to Brian27Direct Link to This Post
Here's a picture of my intake before it got installed in my car. It should give Francis an idea of how black valve covers with the fins sanded down will look:

I highly recommend anyone with the Trueleo intake to get a "Fiero" sticker from Rodney Dickman's website. I think it really looks sharp on there.
http://www.rodneydickman.com/retail.html

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Dee
Eye
Ess

Too bad those retro V8 DIS kits haven't been adapted to the Fiero V6...or are you working on a kit?

Mulholland_GT_Racer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mulholland_GT_RacerSend a Private Message to Mulholland_GT_RacerDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, how much does the Trueleo intake cost???

-Mulholland GT

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Go to trueleo.com for pricing/options and other info.
Mulholland_GT_Racer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mulholland_GT_RacerSend a Private Message to Mulholland_GT_RacerDirect Link to This Post
Holy jeebus, that's pricey...

-Mulholland

PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2005 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
But they are very cost effective power-wise. And we are not making a killing on them by any means. They each take a lot of time to build and have very exspense CNC flanges etc. Though way more complicated and costly to make than say headers, they are not really all that much more money to buy and yet as the dyno chart shows, give you what no other mod/mods in that price range will do. And it's just a bolt-on!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2005 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mulholland_GT_Racer:
Holy jeebus, that's pricey...

I've got one.

If I keep the V6 that's in the other car, I'll buy another one.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2005 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:
Too bad those retro V8 DIS kits haven't been adapted to the Fiero V6...or are you working on a kit?

Pointless when you can buy a DIS engine for less than the cost of a DIS kit.

NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2005 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIERODirect Link to This Post
I'd prob pay 400 but 600 is out of my reach...
I like the progress,,,
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2005 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

I think a lot of 3.4 people will get in on this one. I know I'd like to. Hopefully you will still be making them in a few months when I'm not in debt. When people swap in the Camaro 3.4 pushrod motor, we use the Fiero intakes because the Camaro one won't fit. But the 3.4 needs more air than the 2.8, and the Fiero intakes are restrictive for the 2.8, so you can imagine the problem they cause on a 3.4. I'll bet you definately see a few more ponies on the dyno on a 3.4 with a much better flowing intake system. Jstricker already tried increasing the plenum volume and decreasing the length of the runners, but minimal gain came from it. However, he was machining a stock upper plenum. A whole new system I think would do wonders.

Well, a year and a half ago I said I was interested in one of these and I wanted to get one for my 3.4. Since then, I've collected a ported lower plenum, Darrell Morse ported throttle body, and 1.6 roller tipped rockers to go with it, and now tonight I was finally able to place my order. Many thanks again to Frank and Troy for making this all happen, I can't wait to get it on my car.

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2005 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Mine should be shiped very soon too This is the recipient

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2005 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
where did you get those headers from?
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2005 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Just a note for those ordering intakes or just asking us questions; we get tons of spam etc, so please put some ref to our intake in your subject line, thanks.
Francis
One other item for our customers and future customers; hang on to your stock air filter box etc. I know the stock unit flows good and is a good design, however, the inlet area maybe less than the area of a bored out TB and espeially most of the oversize TBs used with our intakes. With that in mind, we may have a neat mod available soon.
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2005 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Did you get mine Frank? Sorry just ancy, can't wait for it to arrive.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock