Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  hi-flo manifold update (Page 22)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 
Previous Page | Next Page
hi-flo manifold update by Francis T
Started on: 05-27-2004 03:16 PM
Replies: 1156
Last post by: Francis T on 07-09-2009 05:47 PM
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure which TB youre talking about. We do maybe 25% or intakes for special TBs. There is an exrta charge and I need you to send us the TB or the gasket so I can made a flange to match. Some also require wider TB necks. Dont go too big with your TB, remember even with a modfied engine the 2.8 - 3.4 really dont have all that many cubic inches.
IP: Logged
fullcircle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fullcircleSend a Private Message to fullcircleDirect Link to This Post
Francis.

I am hopefully going to get to this this winter. While I have the manifold off and out of the way I was thinking of throwing in a set of ported exhaust manifolds and roller rockers. Other than that, car is bone stock.

Would the chip be different with or without the manifolds. And what about with ot without addtion of roller rockers.

Thanks.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I dont think the ported headers will make enough of a dif to need a chip change, same for the roller rockers. If you put the car on a wideband and find the A/F ratio too far out, send us the data and we'll likely burn you a new chip. Either for free or a small charge.
squisher86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEDirect Link to This Post
Bumpy...

Any word on package deal pricing?

Originally posted by Snowcrash:

I understand there is a j-body throttle body that can also be used. I assume this requires a diffrent flange on the intake? What are the specifics on this throttle body?

Not sure about the 1st and 2nd gen J-body throttle bodies, but the 3rd gens (at least 96-02) use a 52mm throttle body on the higher performance 2.4 TwinCam engine. I think the 2.3 in the 95 had a 56. I don't know for sure about the 2.2/2200 OHV and the Ecotec motor. I don't know if there is any size advantage with using any of those though. I would expect the 1st and 2nd gen ones to be small-ish also, or the same (little 4 cylinder or 2.8/3.1 v6).
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2006 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Should have a package deal price up tonight. Intake, headers/Y pipe, and chip.

We're down to two long runner intakes, the red on the engine pictured here with our headers, and another one. The red one has no velocity stacks inside but new style neck and the other has old style neck with stacks, either for $300 ! When they are gone that will be it for the long runners. We're only going to make short ones from on out, which is what 95% of you guys order anyway.
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2006 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
That cash for you fellas is heading out today at lunch - I'm pretty excited.

Steve
squisher86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2006 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:

Should have a package deal price up tonight. Intake, headers/Y pipe, and chip.

Since they said they had fitment issues on Notchbacks taken care of, Hooray! I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm about to become poorer...

EDIT: .!=,

[This message has been edited by squisher86SE (edited 09-06-2006).]

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2006 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
I ordered the 2.5" headers today - manually. Wouldn't let me change shipping address otherwise... Look for a payment from lou@josephbiron.com
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2006 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
The first few production headers are taking a bit longer to ship as I am trying to setup up building them in groups and thus have parts ready to assemable. We kind of do that with the intakes, make a bunch of runners, velocity stacks, and pleniums etc. They go faster that way. Should have the second set of headers out the door Friday or Sat.
Here's the deal, reg price is $ 600 + chip and intake and $ 475 for exhaust headers/Y pipe
total =$1.075 + shipping.

Group price is $ 975 + shipping You save $100

For basically custom made limited production units, this is a great price especially when you consider that it's all just bolt-on. These mods wili make your 2.8 or 3.4 scream and not die at 4.5k and do it without putting a big hurt on gas milage (may get even better milage).
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2006 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Francis T

6620 posts
Member since Oct 2003
The first few production headers are taking a bit longer to ship as I am trying to setup up building them in groups and thus have parts ready to assemable. We kind of do that with the intakes, make a bunch of runners, velocity stacks, and pleniums etc. They go faster that way. Should have the second set of headers out the door Friday or Sat.
Here's the deal, reg price is $ 600 + chip and intake and $ 475 for exhaust headers/Y pipe
total =$1.075 + shipping.

Group price is $ 975 + shipping You save $100

For basically custom made limited production units, this is a great price especially when you consider that it's all just bolt-on. These mods wili make your 2.8 or 3.4 scream and not die at 4.5k and do it without putting a big hurt on gas milage (may get even better milage).
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2006 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Hey Francis, I sent out the money for my deposit today at lunch, so it should be there shortly. I emailed Troy as to the expected timeframe, (not too long at all ), really looking forward to getting the lungs of my car breathing well again

I'll be posting up a pictorial style 'how I installed these parts' when I get the parts, and they're all set up. Cheers -

Steve
PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2006 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Thanks funky. And we do want feedback from our customers because if can do something to make the install eaiser, likeley we will.
squisher86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2006 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEDirect Link to This Post
Sent you guys an email, hopefully will be getting a response and sending off a check soon. I'm contacting a place in OH to get the headers ceramic coated, hopefully the cost on that will be reasonable.

Looks great guys!
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2006 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Francis and Troy-

Just wanted to let you know that due to a horrifying and yet bizarrely delightful incident, I will have the rest of the money for my intake/exhaust setup within the next 2 weeks. If you're OK with it, I'd like to send you another money order within that time. Hope the parts/chips will be ready soon, sorry to accelerate our schedule... It's nice to have extra cash though, lol! Anyhow, if you could let me know when I could expect the parts that would be great! Thanks!!!

Steve

------------------

squisher86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2006 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEDirect Link to This Post
Replied in the other post as well, but hey!

I got a response from Troy, and I sent you all some money
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Francis,
I've been messing around with some engine sim apps and would be very happy if you could supply me with the following data about your intake and headers:
intake:
- runner length from head to plenum
- diameter
- cfm flow
exhaust:
- inside diameter
- length to collector
- cfm flow
Thanks
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Specs and CFM are on our site trueleo.com for the intakes.
We havent put the header specs up yet and won't be doing any flow bench work on them either. We're trying to keep the cost down. Besides, one look and it's obviuse that they flow great.
The headers use the same 1.5" OD dia tubing as the intakes and the flanges are tapered accordingly. Header runners are about 22" long. They are as close to equal lenght as we could get them within the confines we had to work with. In addition; sometimes it's better to be a bit longer or shorter with a runner than to add some god awful tight turn to it.
We also moved the collectors from the stock location so the runners can enter the collectors nicely and thus also do away with the bad setup on the stock and some aftermarket headers. # 5 and 6 cylinders with ours have runners and dont simply end 3" from the heads.
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2006 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Well guys, I got some cash - so out to you it goes! I'll be sending you another money order, for the full balance owing. Would you be able to mail me some pictures of the progress so far? Thanks!!!

Steve

------------------

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2006 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
It looks like the we're running a bit behind on the headers, whereas along with setting up for production we also got orders for them pretty quick including some special intake/header-deal orders. Should ship some out early this week. Just want you folks to know we're doing our best. Once we get caught up we can pre-make runners, collectors and such and thus have a much shorter turn-around time. Oh, and thanks for supporting the project.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2006 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Funkmaster:

Well guys, I got some cash - so out to you it goes! I'll be sending you another money order, for the full balance owing. Would you be able to mail me some pictures of the progress so far? Thanks!!!

Steve

Well Funk when you get everything on the car, you will have to come out and take me for a spin in it. I am still on the fence about dressing up another 2.8 or just going to a bigger engine. I would really like to keep the 88GT stock, but man I am missing the power and grumble of my V8. (I still put temps on it and run it to the meetings)

------------------
85GT 5spd ,93 Eldorado 4.9 Dual O2 Custom Chip, Archie Clutch. Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything 245/50/16's Not Your Average 4.9 Capt Fiero Com --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Stock.

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2006 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
We're kind of building our 87GT as demo car for those in the Va area that want to see what a 2.8 will do with only our intake, headers and chip. No, I'm going to hand anyone the keys! Take you for a ride and maybe, a select few may, you get to drive it. I think that's the best way to showcase a product. Dyno sheets and flow charts are nice, but dont give you a real-world feel for how much better the engine feels all the way up to 6k or more.
PFF
System Bot
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2006 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Well Captain, I'll definitely take it out to a meeting, to let everyone see what you can do with a 2.8. I'm pretty excited, should be soon - only this, my stereo, and an alignment and I'm good to go

Steve
timmer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2006 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timmerSend a Private Message to timmerDirect Link to This Post
funk as well as the amp for you i would like to buy your stock manifild on the forward side
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2006 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Absolutely. You're doing me a hell of a favour with the electronics, so you can have the manifold.

So soon, can't wait!!!

Steve
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2006 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post

The Funkmaster

1541 posts
Member since Oct 2004
The lady friend just got a new digital camera, so I should have a way to chronologue the installation when it happens. I'm going to insure the car in 2-3 weeks, between now and then I plan to re-check all torque specs, every gasket, and all the wiring. Poly will be going in, along with new adjustable balljoints, and the wiring in the engine bay will be cleaned and re-bundled so it looks good with the new hardware. The exhaust shop will be installing a glasspack where the cat goes, right after the y-pipe, and the exhaust will be exiting immediately before the passenger rear wheel.

Quick question, are there any suggestions as to changing the fuel pressure with these intakes? I like where mine's set up, but if anyone has seen changes to be beneficial, please let me know. Thanks!!!

Steve

------------------

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2006 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
You dont have to change the fuel pressure. If you exit the exhaust there, what are you going to do with the big tailpipe tunnels at the rear? Oh, and when you have it come out on one side like that, Dont stop in traffic next to cop unless you want to get a ticket for noise.
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2006 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Cops here are pretty laid back actually... We've got way too many harley-davidsons here so they're used to it - I've driven my Firebird around for a few months with no exhaust system on it and no-one blinked an eye...

'Course with my luck I'll get pulled over immediately.

As far as the rear tunnels go, I really couldn't tell ya - I might try to figure out an aesthetically pleasing way of dealing with them, or I might (more likely) just leave it as it is. I'm more about function than form, and re-doing a rear fascia would cost too much for me to justify when there's so many performance upgrades to be done.
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2006 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post

The Funkmaster

1541 posts
Member since Oct 2004
Oh, Francis - I'm going to be taking my Fiero to a few of the WCF meetings, I think there's usually about 20 members there, most with 2.8's. Should be a good avenue of advertising for ya, I'll take some folks for a spin, maybe drum up some business for your products

Got any decals or other advertising stuff? I'd like something to stick under the decklid along with the other performance enhancing stickers...
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2006 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
You dont have to change the fuel pressure. If you exit the exhaust there, what are you going to do with the big tailpipe tunnels at the rear? Oh, and when you have it come out on one side like that, dont stop in traffic next to cop unless you want to get a ticket for noise. Should sound great especially up around 6K +
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2006 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I am running a 4.9 through a bottle muffler exiting out the side, about the same as Funk is going to run his. I have been told by cops that it is totally fine. So if I can get away with a V8 and a 30" long exhaust system, he should be alright with a V6.

Edit to add. P.S. see sig no exhuast pipes out the back and it actully rather nice. Espeically when working back there or dropping the cradle..

------------------
85GT 5spd ,93 Eldorado 4.9 Dual O2 Custom Chip, Archie Clutch. Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything 245/50/16's Not Your Average 4.9 Capt Fiero Com --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Stock.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 09-18-2006).]

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2006 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Oh it's legal in my state also, but with him planning on using only short cherry bomb type muffler and no cat, it should be quite loud. In Va they like to give tickets for such, they got me once (thus far $60), but I'm still leaving my cat empty. Besides the roar, I love the rumble I can get when backing off, got it down good. I can really lay down some nice loud race car like sounds with just the right amount RPMs and throttle while backing off in a gear. I know, some dont like that, but I'm an older dude. Raced Mopars in the 70s, and muscle cars were real good for that. Especailly if you recurved your distributor with weaker springs for more bottom end.
PFF
System Bot
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2006 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Yeah.... I think I might get pulled over, but all I expect is a "What do you have under the hood? ...Hey, cool! Have a nice day." I actually know quite a few of the cops around here, too... That might help

Oh, Francis - I just emailed Troy, I was going to do another Money Order, but I'll be paypal-ing you the remaining amount I owe ya. Easier than sending out another money order, if you're OK with it. Would you be able to email me and confirm the remaining amount, just so we're sure? Thanks!!!

OK, now I'm just all excited and stuff. Sorry I've been such a bother with all the emails and such, I'm just too excited about this new equipment.

Steve
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Seems to me the guys are busy working on engine parts

I'd better get the car ready for these new parts so it's ready to install, or I'll go crazy when they show up and I can't put 'em on, lol!

Steve
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Here's a little tip for those that buy our headers and have one of our intakes:
The ignition coil has to be turned around and raised up some. We provide the standoffs and bolts etc. Now, instead or using the bolts we provide, you can tap the bracket and use two of the nice chrome 10mm 12point bolts from your old stock intake manifold. Since they are the same thread, I also use them on my EGR in place of the stock bolts and use them instead of the 2 allens to hold my TB onto the intake. They are nice looking bolts and since you're not using the stock intake why not put them to use elsewhere. The plating or whatever is good and they hold up nice. I'm prettty sure I put them to use elsewhere also?
One other note; per request, we have done away with some of the vacuum take-offs. The intakes and engine look nicer with a just a few Ts. I'm not too fond of T fittings and thus made a vacuum block for my 86GT. It's made from 5/8" thick aluminium and is about 1.25"x 3". I put 3 fiitting on one side and another on the end. Drilled a hole for a mounting bracket that fits under one of the TBs hold-down blots. It looks really cool and and works great. I'll post pictures. If others want to go that route, I can come up with a price and maybe sell them.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Francis T

6620 posts
Member since Oct 2003
Here's a little tip for those that buy our headers and have one of our intakes:
The ignition coil has to be turned around and raised up some. We provide the standoffs and bolts etc. Now, instead or using the bolts we provide, you can tap the bracket and use two of the nice chrome 10mm 12point bolts from your old stock intake manifold. Since they are the same thread, I also use them on my EGR in place of the stock bolts and use them instead of the 2 allens to hold my TB onto the intake. They are nice looking bolts and since you're not using the stock intake why not put them to use elsewhere. The plating or whatever is good and they hold up nice. I'm prettty sure I put them to use elsewhere also?
One other note; per request, we have done away with some of the vacuum take-offs. The intakes and engine look nicer with a just a few Ts. I'm not too fond of T fittings and thus made a vacuum block for my 86GT. It's made from 5/8" thick aluminium and is about 1.25"x 3". I put 3 fiitting on one side and another on the end. Drilled a hole for a mounting bracket that fits under one of the TBs hold-down blots. It looks really cool and and works great. I'll post pictures. If others want to go that route, I can come up with a price and maybe sell them.
And yes, we've been working hard on headers and few intakes too.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:
I am running a 4.9 through a bottle muffler exiting out the side, about the same as Funk is going to run his. I have been told by cops that it is totally fine. So if I can get away with a V8 and a 30" long exhaust system, he should be alright with a V6...

I'm not so sure about that. My 4.9, through a cat and an Ocelot system, is much quieter than my 2.8 was, through the same system.

The 2.8 is a lot more raspy, for some reason.

As always, YMMV.

The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:
I'm not too fond of T fittings and thus made a vacuum block for my 86GT. It's made from 5/8" thick aluminium and is about 1.25"x 3". I put 3 fiitting on one side and another on the end. Drilled a hole for a mounting bracket that fits under one of the TBs hold-down blots. It looks really cool and and works great. I'll post pictures. If others want to go that route, I can come up with a price and maybe sell them.

Pics would be great, I'd love to see this and maybe get one if you want to make another

Steve
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2006 04:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
just keeping the thread up near the top...
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2006 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Dropped an email to you fellas, just seeing what's new in the news

Steve
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2006 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I should have some pictures of a notchie intake manifold soon and that vacuum distro block.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock