Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  hi-flo manifold update (Page 13)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 
Previous Page | Next Page
hi-flo manifold update by Francis T
Started on: 05-27-2004 03:16 PM
Replies: 1156
Last post by: Francis T on 07-09-2009 05:47 PM
The Funkmaster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post

BTW: when you order one, make sure you tell us that you'll be running a turbo.

Why's that? Does it require a different setup, or larger/smaller runners? Just curious. Thanks!

Steve

[This message has been edited by The Funkmaster (edited 01-30-2005).]

IP: Logged
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I sent you a PM on that question Steve.
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Got it and sent ya one back. Thanks!

Steve

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Troy/FrancisT... Sent you email. Thanks.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
It's Heeerrre!

A very nice piece!
Hopefully, I'll be installing it this weekend. I'll try to take install pics, if anyone is interested.

The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Definitely interested. If you could get a pic of the 'underside' for me, that would be sweet. (I want to know how much room is between the fuel rail and the plenum.) I'm thinking of running a hose under there. Plus, that thing's gonna look pretty sweet!

Steve

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Glade you like it Raydar.
As for room Funky, if I wasn't in a hurry, I would have run my turbo coolant lines through there. When I switch back to stock and then back to ours for the dyno runs, that's what I'm going to do.
vEnOm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2005 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vEnOmSend a Private Message to vEnOmDirect Link to This Post
Troy\FrancisT. I sent you an e-mail
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2005 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

It's Heeerrre!

A very nice piece!
Hopefully, I'll be installing it this weekend. I'll try to take install pics, if anyone is interested.

I am

Turkey on Rye

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2005 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Turkey on RyeSend a Private Message to Turkey on RyeDirect Link to This Post
Yeah Raydar, im interested also! Any progress? Keep us posted
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2005 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully tomorrow. Got sidetracked today.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Install pics and observations here.
Turkey on Rye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2005 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Turkey on RyeSend a Private Message to Turkey on RyeDirect Link to This Post
Bump
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2005 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I think Francis/Troy have several dyno sessions scheduled for today.
Mine's not going to get dynoed for a while, yet. Still need to do some stuff.
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2005 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
Is there a dyno goin on today?

------------------
96k Miles, 2nd owner

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2005 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JamesCurtis:
Is there a dyno goin on today?

They were going to dyno Troy's car and, I think, one other car.
Unless I'm mistaken... That *has* happened.

Turkey on Rye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2005 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Turkey on RyeSend a Private Message to Turkey on RyeDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, They had the dyno planned for today... just waitin to see some #'s before i place my order. Hope to see some good stuff
hoola47

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hoola47Send a Private Message to hoola47Direct Link to This Post
DYNO RESULTS ARE UP FOR A 3.4
looks like 14 hp gain.

------------------
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
Auto, soon to be 5 spd Getrag from 88 z24, Best 1/4 = 16.1 at 83mph, mods, wires, CRX intake, and power pulley. Planning Turbo 2.8 swap for a little more umph!!!!

Bought for 2500$ Canadian.

hoola47

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hoola47Send a Private Message to hoola47Direct Link to This Post

hoola47

526 posts
Member since Feb 2003
still curious as to how much of a gain would be had from a good 5 angle valve job on top of this?
hmmmmmm.

------------------
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
Auto, soon to be 5 spd Getrag from 88 z24, Best 1/4 = 16.1 at 83mph, mods, wires, CRX intake, and power pulley. Planning Turbo 2.8 swap for a little more umph!!!!

Bought for 2500$ Canadian.

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that intake really wakes things up from 3500RPM and up!

But guys.. "Feiro"?? Geez...

dyno sheet HERE

------------------

--1986 SE V6, Wild Custom Notchback --For Sale Click Me!
--1984 SE Modified Notchback

FieroAngel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAngelSend a Private Message to FieroAngelDirect Link to This Post
M0sh_man's car was the 3.4L that was dynoed today with the new intake. He is on his way home now (6hour drive) and will probably be telling you guys all about it later. He said he gained about 14hp. He has not yet driven the car on the road so he doesn't know how it feels yet. I plan on driving it to see if I can tell a difference too. I'm kinda excited to see what it looks like and feels like. We'll let you know

Angie

PFF
System Bot
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
I'm guessing this intake will truely shine as a modded engine. Can't wait to see the results compared to a stock intake on a built 3.4.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Thannks for the updates!
That's quite a jump!
Was that with a long runner or short runner manifold? I'm curious as to what other mods Matthew has done to his engine. I know he said 19# injectors and bored TB. I'm curious as to which cam, etc. I'm thinking a good cam and a port job on the lower intake and heads would really wake up a sleeping beast.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Impressive... both TQ and HP gains up top with no low RPM loss... nice.

I agree... someone needs to compare this to a stock 2.8 manifold on a WILD 3.4...

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
ok, im going to let troy post the dyno results, and let them speak for themselves, i was very happy.

STOCK 3.4L camaro motor with stock fiero intake system (no mods to intake system) with ported fiero exhaust manifolds and 19# fuel injectors put out 128.9HP i believe, and 183ft/lbs of torque at the wheels, using the stock fiero prom.

when we put my car on the dyno, troy was running it, 3rd gear pulls, the car would pull to 5300 RPM every time with the stock intake (made 2 runs i believe) and both times it hit a wall at 5300 RPM and the HP graph just dropped like a brick, pobably 30HP every 100RPM above 5300,

when we first put the new-intake on we noticed that it immediatly pulled further, after some chip tunning, changing the fuel maps, and actually retarding the timing above 4000 RPM by 1.5 degree's we ended up getting 141.2HP at the wheels with the intake on and a bored throttlebody. (darrell morse 57MM throttlebody) i can honestly tell you i have no clue how much torque it was putting down, cause i didnt even ask.

the MOST important part of the intake.

once intalled and tuned, we were running the car to 6500 RPM and it still had a stead amount of power, the dyno graph will show it. id say at 5500 RPM i gained 50HP+ at 6000 RPM id say i gained 80+HP

i probably let franks cat out of the bag, but im pretty excited.

just so you guys know, my car is using the STOCK camaro valve train, stock camaro cam, stock camaro heads and fiero lower intake manifold, imagine how much better it would have done with ported heads and lower intake, and a high lift cam.

my next mods going to be 1.6:1 roller tipped rockers, seeing as you can change the valve covers without pulling the intake.

it took me and frank 2 hours+/- 15 minutes to put the intake on. the brake booster plug-in was made for 85-86 intakes, mine being 87 with a larger tube, we had to adapt it, which is very minor.

BTW for those who choose custom colors on their intakes, DONT CHOOSE WHITE. it doesnt look near as good as the chrome does, the near chrome powdercoat shines just like real chrome.

matthew

edit:

Raydar get a modified chip, if you think your car is running rich, it probably is if your using the 19# injectors, mine was at 11:1 anywhere above 4000 RPM

[This message has been edited by m0sh_man (edited 02-10-2005).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by m0sh_man:

...Raydar get a modified chip, if you think your car is running rich, it probably is if your using the 19# injectors, mine was at 11:1 anywhere above 4000 RPM

Thanks for posting all the info.
My car has a chip that Jeremy burned for my engine with the bored intake and TB, so it might be a bit better in that regard. I was thinking about putting the stocker in, for the interim, but I'll just leave the tweaked one in. The rockers are next. Would do them today, except I'm going to Ed's to pick up a part. Catch ya' in a while.

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
We'll send you a new chip soon Raydar.
Sorry we didn't get to do my car. We got there a bit late and by the time we finished up with Matt's car it past thier closing time. Knowing how my very modified 2.8 hit the wall somewhere above 4k and seeing what the manifold did for Matt's basically stock engine, to say that I as disapointed in not getting mine on dyno would be......... well you get the picture. Even so, I'm exceedingly happy as our manifold did a hell of a job in knocking down that 4k-something wall, and did so without adversly affecting lower rpm! After all that hard work (around a year) and $$$ I just have to say it, holy sh#$@** it works even better than we hoped for!
Oh, and here's something else about Matt's dyno runs, you should have seen the smile on his face (and ours) when we heard that engine rev to around 6500. Troy had to bump the rev limiter to do it and it sounded like could have kept on climbing, but with his motor being stock, Troy didn't want to break it. No more HD sound for these engines, we're going to make 2.8s near scream! We'll be back at the dyno maybe in a week or two with my engine.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
128hp to 142hp jump! Wow! So mine should jump from 146hp to 160hp without counting bigger cam I need one of these pronto!

------------------
Palm Beach Fieros
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
http://www.trueleo.com/feirodynointake_small.jpg

thats the picture of the dyno graph.

i took the car out on the road today, it pulls alot harder from 2500 RPM clear past the stock redline.

the lower end feels alot smoother also

ive gotta figure out why my idle is alittle high now, but im sure its a loose vaccum line or something.

this is a MUST for anyone with a peformance 60* v6 in their fiero.

VROOM!

matthew

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
I'm convinced! Saving my pennies for the last year was definately a good idea. A few more and I'll be ready to buy. Troy and Francis, you guys are awesome!
vEnOm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vEnOmSend a Private Message to vEnOmDirect Link to This Post
I can't wait to order mine. The 2.8@6500 rpms screamer profecy will come true.
PFF
System Bot
Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
Is everyone using stock TB's?. Hey Raydar, why not try a 65mm TB? It's easy for me to spend your money, isn't it ........Paul
watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
I want to see results with the turbo on it!

Mine will already scream to 7K in a blink w/10psi.
This should do wonders, not having to cram all that air in through a tiny peep hole.

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
I talked to Oreif at one point and he told me that a Darrell Morse ported TB flows just about perfect for a 3.4l pushrod V6, meaning then that it flows more than enough for a 2.8 Thats what I'm going with.
vEnOm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vEnOmSend a Private Message to vEnOmDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about you guys but I'm going to use a 62mm with mine.
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
.... Mosh, was that a long or short runner? just dropped my tax refund in the mail, should have enough coming back for this intake.. YES! =)
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
Send me an intake and I would be happy to see what happens to a 3.4 pushrod with a turbo installed (currently has 19 pound injectors and stock Fiero intake with WCF cam).
Dan010

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan010Send a Private Message to Dan010Direct Link to This Post
I installed this intake (long runner) on my 3.4 automatic (yes I know, auto)
I have been very pleased with the performance. Even gets better gas mileage.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Mosh has a short runner.
I have a 2.8 with a long runner waiting to get on the dyno. We will post dyno runs with my turbo disconnected from the TB to see difference between ours and the stock manifold. Afterwhich, we'll reconnect the turbo. Aside from my turbo, the engine has lots mods so it will give everyone a good idea as to what you can get from 2.8 N/A engine.
My 2.8 Mods:
Crane 50-states-legal cam with hi-pro springs/lifters/etc, 5 angle valve job, some head porting, custom headers, 9-1 pistons, MSD 6200 box and coil, our manifold, empty cat, and a super balancing job. I have a few other mods that just seem to recal now, but should have a good picture by now. And engine still has a stock TB.
For the turbo run; 6 lbs boost with an MR2 air/air fan asisted intercooler and MR2 BV. With all those mods and no turbo my engine hit 4500 rpm like it was a brick wall. Just looking at Matt's chart, I know it's going rev and make power like SOB with or without turbo.
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the great effort fellas, I knew you could do it! It's well worth the wait. -Jason
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock