Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  hi-flo manifold update (Page 15)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 
Previous Page | Next Page
hi-flo manifold update by Francis T
Started on: 05-27-2004 03:16 PM
Replies: 1156
Last post by: Francis T on 07-09-2009 05:47 PM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2005 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Troymx576:

Raydar- your chips should be there very soon. I sent them last Thursday.

No prob. I've gotta work 12 hours Monday and Tuesday, anyway.

Thanks!

IP: Logged
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2005 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Troymx576:

Raydar- your chips should be there very soon. I sent them last Thursday.

On the Hyperchip and/or Superchip. I have seen both and downloaded both to my programer. I went through both of them and did not find much at all. I went through them a lot and all I could find was that they add some timing at the 90-100kpa range at the upper rpm ranges. I put it in an excel spreadsheet if anyone wants it. Just email me and I will send it to you.

Troy

That might explain the 146.3 hp motor liking 89 octane better than 87...and that dip in my powerband on the dyno sheet from using 87 octane -> PING!
In otherwords...these chips are useless! Thanks Troy.

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
Um...

where are all the other dyno results?

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

Um...

where are all the other dyno results?

Patience, grasshopper.
Still waiting on chips. Troy shipped them middle of last week. I'm thinking UPS may have misplaced them.

Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Don't know if they went UPS or what, but you probably should have gotten them by now? Drop Troy and e-mail.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Troy sent me the tracking number, this evening.
Basically, they arrived at the UPS hub in Atlanta (Doraville, actually) last Friday, and haven't been heard from, since.
Probably laying on the floor, under a conveyor belt, somewhere.

Go UPS!!!

All kidding aside, UPS is usually my shipper of choice. This is the first problem I've ever had with a UPS shipment.

No worries. They'll get here.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-23-2005).]

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Just have to type this: When I was a sound systems tech, I serviced the paging systems for a few UPS centers. Climbing through the rafters and miles of belts etc, we often would find lots of dusty old boxes, especially small ones, and throw them back onto the nearest convayer. Would have been nice to see the look on some of those folks faces when the box from last year arrived. If they can't find yours, I'm Troy will burn you more.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
That's exactly what I'm picturing. I used to install radio communications systems. One of the ones we worked on was this particular UPS facility. It's huge. There are conveyors and belts and rollers everywhere. Probably many miles of them.

Troy. You have mail.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-24-2005).]

watts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:
If they can't find yours, I'm Troy will burn you more.

<tarzan voice>
Ungawa - you not troy! You francis! You send son burn more.
</tarzan voice>

The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
h4x0r 0n t3h y0ur 5hipm3nt?

0h n03s! My Up5 ha3v b33n s+o3L3d!

lol ...I'm still saving money, Mr. T... I'll have enough some day.

Troymx576

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2005 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Troymx576Click Here to visit Troymx576's HomePageSend a Private Message to Troymx576Direct Link to This Post
This is one of the first times UPS has messed up on me. I will just burn Raydar another set and send them out. If they are found he can just send them back to me.

On a personal note. I am ahead of production a little bit and there are no pending orders. The last few orders I shipped out the very next day of the order.

I will not be able to do any work for about two weeks. I am getting spinal surgery on March 1st. It should take about two weeks to heal, I hope, and I can not wait to feel better. This has really sucked since before Thanksgiving now.

Thanks for the support,
Troy

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2005 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
No worries, Troy. UPS usually is good to me, too. Stuff happens. Thanks!

Good luck with your surgery. I hope it helps you to feel better.
The technology of surgery these days is amazing.

On a side note... If you're feeling up to it, you guys should try to make it to the Fiero Factory swap meet, at the end of April.
I already mentioned it to Frank.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2005 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Raydar

40731 posts
Member since Oct 1999
By the way...
The 1.6 rockers made a definite improvement, when combined with the manifold.
What little I got to drive tonight, before the alternator said buh-bye, was a complete blast.
I have never heard a pushrod 60 degree V6 shriek like that before.
And that's with the old chip that was optimized to my stock intake.

This manifold, combined with ported heads and lower intake, and a good cam and valvetrain, and tuned headers ought to be downright frightning.

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2005 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
Raydar, does your car still have the EGR system installed?

im having some problems with my car, and im trying to determine if having the EGR valve, removed, and plugged has anything to do with it.... troy has the EGR function turned off in the prom, but my car seems to want to buck alittle bit.

i think its something else though.

matthew

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2005 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
When does your car buck?
The EGR is disabled in the chip that I'm running now, but all the hardware is still in place. I haven't noticed any ill effects (bucking, stumbling, etc.)
I asked Troy to enable the EGR in the new chips. I'm not convinced that it hurts performance a noticeable amount if it's working correctly, and I need to have it in order to pass emissions, anyway. (Blasted smog nazis...)
(PLEASE guys. This is just what I need to do. This is not meant to incite the EGR vs no EGR argument. Thanks.)

Just for grins, you might try swapping your old chip back in.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-25-2005).]

m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2005 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
ok i think i figured part of my high idle problem, one of the vaccum lines that plugs into the bottom of the throttlebody was loose, im sure that made a good sized vaccum leak, and it probably drove the ECM crazy and the IAC crazy too....

ive got the stock ECM/CHIP in it right now, im going to put the ECM with troys chip back in my car tomorrow.

the onlything im worried about is the new intake flowing so much more air, that at low RPM's its running too lean now, on the wideband my car was going from 15-17:1 a/f at lower RPM's to 11:1 at high RPM's, we got it down to 13.9:1 from 3000-6500 RPM, which is good, but im worried about the lower RPM runs.

if i change my fuel rail out and put my adjustable regulator back in, im going to dial pressure up 2-3 PSI and see if it helps, right now im running stock fuel pressure.

matthew

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2005 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
As I've told Matt, my 2.8 with the turbo disabled for NA testing and stock injectors installed it has been idling strange. It will idle at 950-1200 with 14.9 a/f showing on the wide band and then intermitantly bounce to say 17.5 or above and thus raise the idle a bunch. Troy added more low rpm fuel, but it didn't help. He's pretty sure I have at least one gummed up injector causing the intermitant lean condition. I'll pull them and have them tested and cleaned as soon as the weather permits. Those injectors came from another car that was running OK. With our manifold flowing so much better than stock, I think it makes faulty injectors show up quicker. In a way, it's kind of cool to have designed a manifold that good. BTW: setup the way it is, without the turbo, she sounds great at high rpm. As Raydar will likely attest, it sure don't sound like a push rod GM V6 or drive like one. It's a mazing that those engines had such (and still do) great potential and yet GM never made a good high flowing manifold for them?
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2005 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
We should have at least one car at Daytona with our manifold on it, so if you're going and you'd like to see the setup up close and talk to someone who's running it, just look for the Fiero with the crowd around the engine compartment.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2005 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Well, it seems my strange idle may be related to my MAT sensor. I got an error 23 a few times and when i checked the impedance for the sensor it was way off. I suppose that could mess up the A/F as it will give false info to the ECU.
And just to let everyone know, Troy's surgery went good. And he's feeling a bit better than most after having a hole drilled in his spine.
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2005 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:
And he's feeling a bit better than most after having a hole drilled in his spine.

YIKES!!!

I wish him the best and tell him not to enjoy the morphine/Demerol too much!

m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2005 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
well, i filled my car up with 93 octane fuel, and put the chip that i got from frank in, drove the car 20-25 miles around town, it seemed i was getting a consistant bucking from 2500-3000 RPM but it was kinda sporatic, but it would do it in nearly any gear as long as the gas pedal wasnt WOT, at WOT the car just pulls and pulls and pulls.

then i drove it out on the interstate, as long as i kept it under 2500 RPM, (so around 70MPH at 2400 RPM) it didnt buck or anything, somtimes it doesnt buck between those ranges, i took it up to around 115 on the interstate and still had ALOT of pull left in it, but with bald tires, i didnt feel like going any faster.

after putting 75.3 miles on the car since fillup, i filled it up again, took 2.6 gallons of gas so basically got 29 miles per gallon
pretty good since my in town milage is at MAX 16MPG since my foot is burried, ive even hit the rev limiter a couple times now at 6400 RPM, hell even my pregnant wife hit the rev limiter.

afterwards i stuck the stock chip back in, and drove it around immediatly noticed that it no longer bucked, also noticed that the valve ping i was getting somtimes above 2500 RPM on the highway was gone, all bucking was gone.

troy, or frank is sending me another chip with alittle more fuel added from 2500-3200 RPM to see if my problem was a lean issue, since the first chip had like 40% fuel reduction above a certain RPM.

another thing that im told can cause bucking is problems with the EGR valve, which mine is blocked off, so im hoping that the chip that frank sends me has provisions for that.

all in all, im VERY happy with my intake, my car runs much better, and it feels MUCH more powerful.

my only suggestion is that until frank starts doing a test withe the intake holding water or something, is test it yourself, fill it full of water, and see if water leaks out around any welds, mines probably the only one with a vaccum leak problem, and its not even a bad one, but its enough to make my IAC act screwy, so ill probably remove my intake again to weld up the leaks.

all in all, im very very happy.

matthew

PFF
System Bot
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Soon as a few more things sell on eBay, I'll be placing my order!
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Probem was, with the runners for # 1 & 3 cylinders and # 4 & 6 near toutching each other, it was quite difficult to weld between them and thus a few manifolds had pin holes there. We're changing how we weld them and the design slightly to give us maybe a 1/4" between those runners so they can be welded easier. The change will have no affect on flow. I've also made a set of block-off plates that allow us to either pull a vacuum or apply air pressure to each manifold to test for leaks. The proceedure works quite well, and we'll test every manifold before shipping. We may post some pictures of 2 special order manifolds we're doing set up for big TBs.
Turkey on Rye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2005 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Turkey on RyeSend a Private Message to Turkey on RyeDirect Link to This Post
Alright everyone, I got this intake installed on my car. I finally had some time over my spring break to tackle the job.

Some info on my motor: 3.2 Stroker (3.1 bored .040'' over), Lunati cam (.426 lift Intake & Exhaust @ 255 duration), Ported & Polished heads w/ larger swirl valves, Ported lower manifold, Ported exhaust, FOCOA headers, Spintek Muffler, Power pulley, MSD ignition, Adjustable Fuel regulator, 19lb Injectors.

She's still not tuned very well, but just driving it down the street this thing is bad a$$. I think i lost just a tad bit of low end, but the high end power is dramatically increased. I really need to get a wideband on her and do some adjusting because i know its pretty far from being stoich right now. Anyway, just wanted to share with everyone and would DEFINITELY reccommend this intake!

-Chris

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2005 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Got my chips today. Off work next week.

Mwwwahahahahahahahahahaha!

Stay tuned... (sorry for the pun.)

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2005 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
We knew you would be happy, especially with that motor. A note: when you're making that kind of power, just a few degees of timing can make a big difference either way, so make sure it's spot-on. How about posting some pictures?
vEnOm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2005 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vEnOmSend a Private Message to vEnOmDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Turkey on Rye:

She's still not tuned very well, but just driving it down the street this thing is bad a$$. I think i lost just a tad bit of low end, but the high end power is dramatically increased. I really need to get a wideband on her and do some adjusting because i know its pretty far from being stoich right now. Anyway, just wanted to share with everyone and would DEFINITELY reccommend this intake!

-Chris

Chris, did you use the stock TB on your intake? I think that with a bigger TB that engine would be a screamer. I always wanted to do a 3.2 but couldn’t find of the shelf forged pistons for it, they had to be ordered and made and at that time I didn’t had the $$$ to spend. That's why I went 2.8 on my build. BTW, I got 8 forged TRW slugs (2 extra) with Federal Mogul molly rings for $120. What a deal huh!

Turkey on Rye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Turkey on RyeSend a Private Message to Turkey on RyeDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, i am using the stock TB and pretty much a stock exhaust setup with the exception of the muffler & headers. I agree that a larger TB would definetly provide a noticeable increase in power as well. I have an appointment with our exhaust man to figure a way to get a 2.5" exhaust installed, it needs it BADLY! Anyhow, i will try and snap some pictures when i get back to school (its spring break). Thanks for all the comments!

-C

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2005 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Just to let folks know, if you sent orders or questions to Troy he is not ignoring anyone, he’s back in the hospital again and will be for at least 3 or 4 days. He’s having a hard time with some post-op complications from his back surgery. Hopefully they’ll get him fixed up soon. Troy has the files as to who is waiting for what, I just fabricate.
Two of you requested special manifolds for bigger TBs and since I know you follow this I'll pass this some info along here. I made the special TB flanges for them and the manifolds are all tacked up and ready for the finial welding. Troy is a much better than me, so it may be a week or so before we can ship those two special units. BTW: they look quite good. And the GN TB we recieved from I think Steve, yes it is 59mm.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2005 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
We'll have 2 Fieros with our manifold at the Carlisle show. Matt's 3.4 with a short runner and my 2.8 turbo with a long runner. Just wondering, is anyone else using our manifold going to be there? We're doing a few custom orders for people with some big TBs. Watch for pictures.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2005 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
I hate to be a pest but doesn't anyone do a dyno run?

I can accept the fact that people's cars have improved in performance but in the end, it's all relative.
If your car was dynoing at 125rwhp and is making 143.75 hp now, that's a 15% gain (18.75 hp) over the stock intake.
If your car was making 140rwhp with the stock intake and now makes 161 hp, that's still a 15% gain (21 hp).

Needless to say, you'd feel the difference in both. I don't know what my car would do with a stock intake. All I know is I made 149.8 hp with a bored TB, heads and ported stock intake.

To the member who wants to put in a 2.5" exhaust... Try it from just after the O2 sensor just before the cat and back. Get a Firebird cat if you actually care about emissions. It shouldn't be that difficult or expensive comparatively speaking and offer great benefits. A Firebird muffler is also a good choice and can be made to mount in the stock position. You can probably get a whole stock Firebird exhaust on ebay cheap. I actually had '98 Firebird tips on my mufferless + cat-less exhaust.

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2005 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

I hate to be a pest but doesn't anyone do a dyno run?

I'm still having some issues with the coast-down fuel cutoff pulsing. Due to my work schedule (lots of 12 hour days) I haven't had time to get that sorted, and would really like to before I go flogging it on a dyno (not that this particular issue has anything to do with WOT operation. Just kind of disconcerting to drive it that way.)
If nothing else, I will be dynoing my car at the swap meet. My dyno time is already paid for. I'll post the results.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-30-2005).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2005 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I'm still having some issues with the coast-down fuel cutoff pulsing. Due to my work schedule (lots of 12 hour days) I haven't had time to get that sorted, and would really like to before I go flogging it on a dyno (not that this particular issue has anything to do with WOT operation. Just kind of disconcerting to drive it that way.)
If nothing else, I will be dynoing my car at the swap meet. My dyno time is already paid for. I'll post the results.

Awesome. I don't suppose you have one of the motor before the intake...

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2005 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Awesome. I don't suppose you have one of the motor before the intake...

Yeah. I've got one from last years swap meet. Nothing to write home about, though.
115 HP / 158 TQ. Through an automatic tranny and a stock exhaust with an aftermarket cat.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-04-2005).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2005 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
*Bump* for the chart.
As I said, nothing to write home about.

On a positive note, I pick up my Getrag tomorrow. That ought to help the numbers a bit.
Not going to have it in the car before the swap meet, though.

Edit - Resized the big-azz chart

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-04-2005).]

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Ok we can make manifolds, but that don't mean I get pictures posted on PFF, how's about some help? We took some pictures of a couple of special order maniflods with big TBs I'd like show everyone. And I won't say for whom they were made, but they look awesume. So, if you can post them here for me, send me an email ( rspiderii@aol.com ) and I'll you the pictures. Thanks.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Francis,

Send 'em to me! I'll post 'em. Won't be until tomorrow, though.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-14-2005).]

watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
Send 'em to me! I'll post 'em. Won't be until tomorrow, though.

Slacker....

Send 'em my way and I'll do it now.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by watts:

Slacker...

And..?

watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
Heh... I'd waited, but he didn't send them until after I'd crashed for the night.... here they are (cropped as well) now....

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock