Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  hi-flo manifold update (Page 17)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 
Previous Page | Next Page
hi-flo manifold update by Francis T
Started on: 05-27-2004 03:16 PM
Replies: 1156
Last post by: Francis T on 07-09-2009 05:47 PM
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2005 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

Well, I gotta agree but those of us in the land of fruits and nuts have the State deciding on our engine mods. I think it's a pretty safe bet that the visual part of the 2 year smog check would notice that your manifold wasn't put there by GM ....

I'm saving my pennies ts summer so I can get one. I'll just swap the stock stuff back in for the smog check, doesn't take long. Then go home and put the good stuff back on and forget about it for 2 more years.

IP: Logged
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2005 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Fastback - let me know how it works out for you; I'd LOVE to have a turbo on my 3.4 5 speed ....
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
who can post some pics, i can email them

------------------
85 GT 3.4
Auto 3.08
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60"

Kohburn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2005 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
i'd really like to see a dyno of the turbo with the intake

oh to post pics just sign up for www.photobucket.com - its free and easy to use

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2005 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
i can handle pictures

as long as i dont have to resize them

macantley@charter.net

matthew

Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2005 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I have a turbo setup with my long runner intake, but since I never got around to doing any dyno runs with the turbo and the stock intake, a run now would be kind of useless. We have sold, I think at least 5 or 6 to turbo guys, some employing really big TBs too. Maybe one of those folks would post some numbers/charts? I can tell you this, the intake makes for faster throttle response on mine.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2005 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:

I have a turbo setup with my long runner intake, but since I never got around to doing any dyno runs with the turbo and the stock intake, a run now would be kind of useless. We have sold, I think at least 5 or 6 to turbo guys, some employing really big TBs too. Maybe one of those folks would post some numbers/charts? I can tell you this, the intake makes for faster throttle response on mine.

are you selling them with a chip to tune it? I think I remember you mentioning your son burning a couple chips? if so could he do one for a turbo with your intake?

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2005 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Fastback - let me know how it works out for you; I'd LOVE to have a turbo on my 3.4 5 speed ....

The only thing I'm worried about is the smog guys finding out its not a 2.8, which I doubt will happen unless they for some reason decide to check the casting code on the block. Other than that minor detail, its going to go in looking completely stock. Once it passes, I'll yank the stock intake off and put the hi flow intake on and forget about it until 2007.

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2005 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Yes, they come with a new chip. Just tell my son what your aplication will be, IE, stock, turbo, NA modified etc. One note on this; we are not looking to do chips as a side thing, we provided them with our manifolds at no extra charge.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2005 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I have some pictures of 4 new intakes we just shipped. The latest version has a much nicer looking runner between the TB and plenium with only two seams instead of seven. I'm still inempt at posting pictures here and we haven't put them up on our site yet, so if somebody sends me an e-mail ( rspiderii@aol.com ) I'll send them to you to post here. BTW; two are near-chrome and one is red and one i8s for a firebird with a 5.0 TB.
Thanks
Francis
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2005 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Shoot 'em to me. I'll post 'em.
I saw the one on 3rd gen. Suhwheeeet!
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2005 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Here they are. Nice!

goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2005 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
Good stuff. Kinda like heroine.....functional and expensive.

[This message has been edited by goatnipples2002 (edited 08-06-2005).]

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2005 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Week and a half!
goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2005 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
So the new one is the only one you sell now? I like the new design much better. Hopefully when I do my swap in 6-8 weeks you will still have the 2nd design for the intro price.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2005 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Fastback_86 check your PMs
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2005 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Got it and sent you one back.
Chicken McNizzle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2005 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post
you need a new welder
Madess

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2005 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadessSend a Private Message to MadessDirect Link to This Post
pm sent
goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2005 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
So is it true the peak gain on the 3.4 is roughly 15hp/15tq? and at 5000rpms the gain is 35hp/35tq? If this is true is it the same for the new design? Would the straight neck flow better or smoother than the 1st design?
connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2005 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
Anyone know what knd of gain one might expect on a 2.8 with moderate mods? How much are you asking for the chrome version with the curved TB pipe? How long would it take to get one?
PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2005 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Go to trueleo.com and you'll find ordering info with pricing, flow charts, dyno results and more. You can also go back a ways in this posting for comments form users.
vEnOm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2005 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vEnOmSend a Private Message to vEnOmDirect Link to This Post
Anyone ever wander where the big a$$ TB and Trueleo intake went? I you want to know post some pics for me. PLZ!

[This message has been edited by vEnOm (edited 08-21-2005).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2005 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Send me your pics at the email addy in my profile. I'll post them for you. It'll be tomorrow (Monday) though.
How's it run?
vEnOm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2005 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vEnOmSend a Private Message to vEnOmDirect Link to This Post
Sent the pic's to you.

Haven't got the engine in the car yet. Tranny lost 2nd so had to get it repaired. Assembled it with Borg Wagner clutches, high friction band, shift kit new solenoid and new oil pressure switch. This one will be a screamer. Will post dyno results once is running.

Later dudes!

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2005 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Here's venom's pics. Very nice!

Is that a 5.0 TB?
What else has been done to the engine? Is there a build thread?

I like the red paint.

Edit - I just realized that you haven't installed the fuel rail yet. You'll need to pull the manifold off again to do that. Either that, or you may be able to pull the thermostat housing and wiggle it in.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-22-2005).]

FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2005 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

Well, I gotta agree but those of us in the land of fruits and nuts have the State deciding on our engine mods. I think it's a pretty safe bet that the visual part of the 2 year smog check would notice that your manifold wasn't put there by GM ....

I have had the same concern which is why I will be putting a stock (or at least limited to proven smog compliant modified) 3.4 into my 88 GT. But as Kohburn said... "only takes a half hour to change." So, just keep the original and reinstall when time to do the biannual smog check.

Now, the big question is what other mods can I make and still pass the test. It seem that the computerized F.I. cars will tend to run a cleaner, and as long as they pass the visual inspection, can be cleaned up to meet the current standards.

------------------
FierOmar

vEnOm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2005 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vEnOmSend a Private Message to vEnOmDirect Link to This Post
The throttle body is from a 96 3.4 DOHC engine. It is 65mm. I adapted the stock TB linkage to it. The intake is there for pic only, it will be removed to install the fuel rail.

I didn't do any build thread. But, here is the whole info on the engine.

Engine has fully ported and polished heads (intake and exhaust) with double valve springs, aluminum retainers, Crane Cams 2030, 5 angle valve job and 1.6 full roller rockers. Lower intake manifold is gasket matched ported and a lot of material removed from inside the runners including the injector lump. Forged pistons and forged aluminum rods. Pistons and rods are balanced with the rest of the rotating assembly. I'm using 17 lb/hr injectors with a Holley fuel pressure regulator, 255 lb/hr fuel pump, high flow fuel filter and custom fuel lines. Jacobs PRO-10 ignition with Ultra coil and Magnecor 10mm race wires. The tranny is fully rebuilt with Borg Wagner clutches, hi-friction band and shift kit. Future plans include using a 125 wet nitrous shot and a full 2.5"exhaust from the Y pipe down.

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2005 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
Let me make the first prediction:

144.7 RWHP.

Oversteer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2005 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OversteerSend a Private Message to OversteerDirect Link to This Post
What needs to be done in order to make that large TB work on this engine? Is it the same set up or will it require further mods? Wouldn't you be better to go with the # 19 injectors rather than the 17's?

Your engine looks awesome man, good work. The trueleo has never looked better.

vEnOm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2005 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vEnOmSend a Private Message to vEnOmDirect Link to This Post
We will see. I think it will be more. I'm hoping for 160 at the wheels. I will take it to the dyno with the 2.5 exhaust, SAFC2 and use a wideband to fine tune it. I don't slap parts on it and expect miracles. Tunning is the key.

L8tr

PFF
System Bot
vEnOm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2005 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vEnOmSend a Private Message to vEnOmDirect Link to This Post

vEnOm

337 posts
Member since May 2001

Originally posted by Oversteer:

What needs to be done in order to make that large TB work on this engine? Is it the same set up or will it require further mods?

I had to do a few mods in order for it to work correctly. This TB opens oposite from the stock one. I took a spare TB that I had laying around took off the linkage plastic part and all and inverted it. The bracket is inverted (throttle cable is on top now) and welded on the intake. It's hard to explain. I will try to post some pics so you will notice.

Wouldn't you be better to go with the # 19 injectors rather than the 17's?

I do have new # 19 injectors but I will test it out with the 17's and see how it goes if it needs more fuel I will just swap them out.

Your engine looks awesome man, good work. The trueleo has never looked better.

I bough it uncoated, grinded down the welds at the neck and runners, sandblasted it and spray painted with an engine paint with ceramic. This was done to the valve covers also. Then gave it the final touch with urethane. That protects the paint and gives it that glossy look. Can't forget the Fiero GT sticker from Rodney.

I just love this "ugly" --> (like some people like to call it) intake. It gives it a race engine look. Like it should have been from the begining.

brb. Time to get pics.

vEnOm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2005 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vEnOmSend a Private Message to vEnOmDirect Link to This Post

vEnOm

337 posts
Member since May 2001
Ok here you go. sorry for the crappy pics, camera sucks!

Here you will notice the inverted linkage and bracket. I eliminated the cruise linkage, shaved material from both sides of the plastic part and enlargened the center in order to have it fit in the throttle shaft. Welded the small shaft where the cables hook to the metal part, chamfered the plastic and used bolts and nuts to hold them securely. Then welded the center hole of the metal part to the throttle shaft to secure it and filled with epoxy, painted it and viola!

Here are some pics of the intake where the welds are grinded down.

Here is a pic of the intake with sticker. Looks nice. Without it seems kinda empty.

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2005 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vEnOm:

We will see. I think it will be more. I'm hoping for 160 at the wheels. I will take it to the dyno with the 2.5 exhaust, SAFC2 and use a wideband to fine tune it. I don't slap parts on it and expect miracles. Tunning is the key.

L8tr

Your engine looks great but I think 160rwhp with a 2030 cam may be tough. i would have used at least the H260.

Oversteer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2005 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OversteerSend a Private Message to OversteerDirect Link to This Post
Look good. You should keep us updated as you build. I would like to see how a larger (significantly) TB performs with the new manifold.

Best look Trueleo set up I have seen yet. Almost looks remotely not stock

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2005 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Your engine looks great but I think 160rwhp with a 2030 cam may be tough. i would have used at least the H260.

yeah that sucker runs out of breath at 4500. I made 146.3 rwhp with the 2030 cam. Not bad but that was on a fresh rebuild. On a 100k+ 3.4 with the 260, I made 149.8 but I had the Darrel TB this time and no spiralmax infront of the TB...so maybe he can pull off just over 150...

Venom - are you using higher compression pistons?

vEnOm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2005 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vEnOmSend a Private Message to vEnOmDirect Link to This Post
I have standard cr pistons. I shaved the block .006 and shaved the heads .006, that should bump the cr up a little. I know this cam is not the best one but I left it in there to see how it performs. I was thinking the Crower Ultra perf. cam will work better with this intake. We will see, let the dyno speak.

l8tr

vEnOm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2005 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vEnOmSend a Private Message to vEnOmDirect Link to This Post
Should this intake be classified as a Tunnel Ram manifold for desktop dyno purposes? I want to throw some numbers to see how it behaves.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2005 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
OK, I know I should know how to do it my self, but I don't yet; I made a interesting graph from our dyno results on Matt's stock 3.4 and need someone to put it up here. The text and drawings were done in MS Word. I think you folks will find it very interesting, especially so for those that don't fully understand how to read dyno sheets. If you can get it done, please send me an e-mail at rspiderii@aol.com and I'll send you the file. Thanks in advance to whomever.
BTW: I'm getting closer to posting more pictures on my extractor scoop/hood mod.
BERKELUSA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2005 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BERKELUSAClick Here to visit BERKELUSA's HomePageSend a Private Message to BERKELUSADirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chicken McNizzle: you need a new welder

lol or a better grinder?

Question: How thick is that lower plate with the tabs for the bolts? - A few of them look a little "out there" thats all..

Besides that looks really sharp, Cant wait to see it in the bay..

Rob

[This message has been edited by BERKELUSA (edited 08-30-2005).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock