Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  hi-flo manifold update (Page 5)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 
Previous Page | Next Page
hi-flo manifold update by Francis T
Started on: 05-27-2004 03:16 PM
Replies: 1156
Last post by: Francis T on 07-09-2009 05:47 PM
alienfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for alienfieroSend a Private Message to alienfieroDirect Link to This Post
A photograph is worth a 1000 words. As they say.
In some other magzine someone put a 455 cid. out of a old fwd. cad.
They cut the fiero frame off behind the fire wall and welded the Ols. sub frame, engine and trany in. A long with all the other little stuff.
And they sent photos.showing how they did it
I would not beleave it, unless I saw it.
IP: Logged
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by alienfiero:

In some other magzine someone put a 455 cid. out of a old fwd. cad.
They cut the fiero frame off behind the fire wall and welded the Ols. sub frame, engine and trany in. A long with all the other little stuff.
And they sent photos.showing how they did it

Then keep your disbelief to yourself. If you bothered to read the whole thread, you'd see that, a while back, Francis T stated that he wasn't going to post pictures until its done and he's sure it works right, so as not to get peoples hopes up or to make people wary should it need a serious redesign. All in all, a good idea if you ask me. The man is going to an awful lot of time and effort for this to be some kind of lame prank. In addition, he posted a link to his website before that has pictures of the work he and his son did on an MR2 Turbo, one which several forum members have seen in person and can verify the existance of. He's given us no reason to doubt him and hasn't asked for any money or rock solid commitments even.

Take a chill pill and be patient like the rest of us.

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Francis, I give you credit for going out on a limb to develop this. Being a fiero owner since 16, I know how a select few of us can be tight @$ses. I like my fieros, but prefer to spend hard earned money on other things than my transportation, so people in my situation may happen to pass on your great product. However, its wonderful that people such as yourself are always pushing the envelope when it comes to potential with our cars. I wish you the best of luck with the manifolds, I'm sure they'll perform great!!!

John.

PS, ignore this inconsiderate newbie...

GARY TUCKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GARY TUCKERSend a Private Message to GARY TUCKERDirect Link to This Post
I check this thread everday....and I am very anxious, but I rather wait and get one that was done correctly....Like anything else good....It is worth the waiting!!

------------------
1988 Gary Tucker (GT)

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
I think this plenum would be a great idea.... and $500+ dollars WOULD be worth it to me if it met my requirements (which are probably different than everyone else's).

I'm sticking with my V6 because I want the car to look 100% stock.

I've rebuilt my 2.8 into a 3.2 (3.1 crank and rods with .040 overbore pistons).. with several other items to boost the horsepower. I basically want to get as MUCH horsepower from my engine, while still having it look 100% stock. My 17# Accel Injectors.. they come yellow, I painted them black. I painted the ignition coil black as well to match the OEM style one.

If this intake retains the same overall dimensions more less, and isn't more than say a half-inch higher, then to me it's worth it. I'd like for something that looks original. I would be really happy with a hogged out intake plenum (which I may try to do to mine anyway just to get back SOME of that power).

Thanks,

------------------
Todd,
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1997 Pontiac Grand Am GT
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 5-Speed
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 (3.2L) Auto
1984 Pontiac Fiero 2m4 SE
1981 Pontiac TransAm (sbc 350)
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the support guys and gess what, we now a name that will never be our list of customers. You can do stuff like that when you work for yourself. And that trip to Matt's to get the engine was in rain and fog! Since I have a fellow over here with, I a 2.8, and I can disable the turbo on my 2.8 for the dyno runs, maybe I'll have you bring your 3.4 Matt. BTY: Matt has an awsume white GT.
TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
how far along are you... is it a full "working peice" yet or is it still in design?

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk www.XoticRydz.tk

hoola47

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoola47Send a Private Message to hoola47Direct Link to This Post
FrancisT, is there any way you could do a dyno with your turbo also hooked up to see how much better this system flows with boost compared to the stock system?
Patiently awaiting results.
Thanks
Doug Chase

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseDirect Link to This Post

Alienfiero,

I can't speak for Francis T but perhaps I can provide some enlightenment. As someone who develops custom parts, I can say that there are a couple reasons to not release photos before the product is finished.

First, in between the idea and the finished product there are a number of stages. Some of these stages can be completely hacked together proof-of-concepts that wouldn't even function and look like crap. The appearance of this stage does not accurately reflect the quality of the finished product, so the developer may be wary of letting these pictures out.

Second, releasing design drawings or prototype photos could give a jump start to some copycat competition. It is much easier to copy somebody else's design than it is to design something from scratch. If the product is ready for sale the first time anybody sees photos then the original developer has a bigger advantage over potential copycats.

You certainly have a right to be skeptical, as there is a lot of BS flung around the internet. I think Francis is legit so I'll sit quietly and wait for his product to be ready for market.

------------------
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom roll cage and exhaust fabrication

edhering

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageSend a Private Message to edheringDirect Link to This Post
Even if Al Gore had invented the Internet back then, do you think Archie would have done a build-up thread of his first SBC Fiero?? He didn't and there are STILL copycats....

Keep up the good work, Francis T. Speaking as a guy who intends to build a 3.4 for his non-show Fiero one day, I have some interest in what you develop!

Ed

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2004 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Q-1 Just to see where I'm at, I will also do a dyno run with my turbo fully connected, but I never got around to doing one the way it is now, so I won't have a before and after. Pre-turbo, I was at 160 HP with my mods. But with the other fellows, we'll have lots of dyno charts.
Q-2 We have everything cut and ready to weld for prototype # 1 Sunday. I wish I could show evreyone the jig I designed that is going make the whole thing a reality, but I would be nuts to that. Another thing slowing us up is that we have to make a flange or two ourselves for the first one since we're still waiting to get the last CNC ones from the machine shop. And those are simple flanges for them to make?
PFF
System Bot
alienfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2004 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alienfieroSend a Private Message to alienfieroDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm, patten pending?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2004 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
^^^^
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Just another update. After welding-up most of the prototype, we decided to change the runners slightly for more hood clearance. We had enough, but given the discrepancies between vehicles, it was a bit close, and since we have no idea as to the under-hood clearance for non-Fiero applications we thought it best to make the mod now.
We’re kind of on hold for a few days until the new mandrels get here. On the plus side, the manifold looks real good and we did get the last of the CNCs we were waiting for. And as usual, don’t ask, no pictures until we’re near ready to ship. When it's all done, I'm going to do a write-up of-sorts (almost a book) on just what it took to develope to show how darn complecated and costly it turned out to be. Oh, Alien, as someone suggested, you can indeed stop following this, we won't sell you one, ever!

Hey Matt, your donor 2.8 is a Godsend. It makes fitting and such so much easier. BTY; the fuel rail you loan me is a bit different than the one on my GT. Does it have a special regulator? It's also a tad higher and we're thus making the manifold to clear yours. If there are higher units out there we need to know.

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Francis:

I think the idea of your write-up is a good one. I look forward to reading it.

Sour

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
the fuel pressure regulator on that fuel rail was adjustable, not sure what else would be different, but if it will clear that one, then it should clear pretty much all adjustable ones.

matthew

alienfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alienfieroSend a Private Message to alienfieroDirect Link to This Post
Why should I buy , when I can make a manifold for my self.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
alienfiero

Why should I buy , when I can make a manifold for my self.

then go ahead and shut up

alienfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alienfieroSend a Private Message to alienfieroDirect Link to This Post
If I new how to put photo. in this. I would show you my prototype drawing of my manifold. Only took 15 min.

You pinko communist.

Free speach in America!

JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
Alien, go ahead and make one of your own, we will be laughing at you when we see you in the rear view with francis' intake. 'nuff said, you're not welcome here if you don't have anything constructive to say. As the old saying goes, if you don't have anything nice to say, then shut the hell up. ( i had a mean grandma)

James

PFF
System Bot
The Punisher

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 433
User Banned

Report this Post09-02-2004 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherDirect Link to This Post

If I new how to put photo. in this. I would show you my prototype drawing of my manifold. Only took 15 min.

You pinko communist.

Free speach in America!

Cool now that it is done, why don't you take your drawing over to a shop and have them build it for you. its just that simple isnt' it. YOu should have it back in like no more then 2 weeks. Let us know how it performs

SH

BtotheB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Punisher:

Cool now that it is done, why don't you take your drawing over to a shop and have them build it for you. its just that simple isnt' it. YOu should have it back in like no more then 2 weeks. Let us know how it performs

SH

Alienfiero asked me to post a copy of his drawing that he's taking to the shop.

Looks great!

Brad

------------------

Scythe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScytheSend a Private Message to ScytheDirect Link to This Post
ahhaha...priceless ;D
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
lol, that made me chuckle btotheb, nice work .

James

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

If I new how to put photo in this, I would show you my prototype drawing of my manifold. Only took 15 min.

You don't know how to post a photo here, yet you're able to design an intake manifold in fifteen minutes. Okay...

ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 04:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post
omg that pic is awesome. love that stuff man! + for you!
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Keep forgetting to ask, other than for special orders ($) we'll be powder coating all our manifolds the same color, 'near-chrome' since we brought it in quanity (it's costly too) for our MR2 manifolds. How many of you would rather have it done in red? BTY: the near-chrome looks really nice and red still won't make it look like a stock Fiero manifold. So vote for the chrome look or red. Thanks
Dan010

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan010Send a Private Message to Dan010Direct Link to This Post
Chrome look would look nice !!
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Red look would look nice !!
FieroMGDriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMGDriverSend a Private Message to FieroMGDriverDirect Link to This Post
RED!

------------------
-Matthew
87 GT My transportation
86 GT My headache

PFF
System Bot
sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Chrome! (how many times do we get to vote?)
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
Chrome!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Green !!!

Sorry, what was the question?

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Chrome will work for me.
Actually, any color you choose will work for me, as long as it's not anything flourescent. (Not like you were gonna do that or anything.)
Fire451

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fire451Click Here to visit Fire451's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fire451Direct Link to This Post
chrome please

------------------

86 SE 2.9L
Best ET : 14.9 @ 90 MPH

alienfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alienfieroSend a Private Message to alienfieroDirect Link to This Post
A fool and his money is easly parted, and still no photo? Lets see 500 US. dollars that means 860 in play money in canada.
donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post09-03-2004 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
Chrome? CHROME??? lmao! yeah do it in chrome....then 10,000 guys will say, "well do you have it in red?"

------------------
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
I don't care what color it is, as long as it works. Chrome and Red would both look good. But since I'm in CA, the land of the Smog Nazis, I'll say red cause that looks more stock.

AlienFiero - SHUT UP. No one cares what you think.

vEnOm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2004 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vEnOmSend a Private Message to vEnOmDirect Link to This Post
Chrome!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock