Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  hi-flo manifold update (Page 7)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 
Previous Page | Next Page
hi-flo manifold update by Francis T
Started on: 05-27-2004 03:16 PM
Replies: 1156
Last post by: Francis T on 07-09-2009 05:47 PM
jerryglasstoys

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2004 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jerryglasstoysSend a Private Message to jerryglasstoysDirect Link to This Post
Francis,
Please put me on the list as interested also, good things take time!!!

Best of luck

------------------
jerryglasstoys

Flame Red 1988 Formula 5 Speed Getrag

[This message has been edited by jerryglasstoys (edited 10-12-2004).]

IP: Logged
MarkJPana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2004 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkJPanaSend a Private Message to MarkJPanaDirect Link to This Post
im still interested. just tell me when its done and how much and ill send a check
vEnOm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vEnOmSend a Private Message to vEnOmDirect Link to This Post
I'm still interested also. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Oooooh! Give to daddy.

I'm very interested.

Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
We recieved the sample mandril Sat and it looks good. Be placing an order today. So in something like four weeks, we should be ready to knock-off the finial protype and start making them. They're going to be so awsume (functionally and looks-wise) I wish we could post a pic.
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
so when do i need to make vacation plans?

will you be testing the intake on your fiero first? (i kinda hope so) that way you can fix any fitment problems before i arrive......

do you need anymore fiero motors? maybe one or two to build-up to put into your car? or build the motor i gave you?

maybe bore it out 40 over, then find a crank from a 2.5L buick from japan and destroke it might be able to rev alittle higher.... good for the turbo.

matthew

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
We'll put one on my 2.8 turbo first, use on the street a bit and then take it to the dyno the same day we go with you. Once we get the finial prototype done, we'll come up with a date for you to drive out. We may also have another fellow (I think he's in Maryland) do one too. For now, we're back in a holding pattern waiting for the mandrils, which in a way is ok with me, since I'm still not 100% yet.
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2004 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
do i bring a 2.8L or a 3.4L?

matthew

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2004 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
If I find the guy with the stock 2.8, then I guess you can bring your 3.4. But also, since we're putting one on my 2.8 anyway, and I can do runs with the turbo open and with it working, I suppose you can bring whichever you prefer. I'd really like see what it'll do for the 3.4 since the stock manifold has be putting an even bigger hurt on that engine. So which would you rather do? BTW: we recieved all of the main flanges yesterday, just need those custom mandrils now.
Fire451

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2004 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fire451Click Here to visit Fire451's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fire451Direct Link to This Post
Count me as still interested and take your time I know that quality takes time
PFF
System Bot
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2004 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:

If I find the guy with the stock 2.8, then I guess you can bring your 3.4. But also, since we're putting one on my 2.8 anyway, and I can do runs with the turbo open and with it working, I suppose you can bring whichever you prefer. I'd really like see what it'll do for the 3.4 since the stock manifold has be putting an even bigger hurt on that engine. So which would you rather do? BTW: we recieved all of the main flanges yesterday, just need those custom mandrils now.

I think you should bring your 3.4 also. I know I'm (and a few others) counting on this intake to bring out the full potential of this larger displacement engine. Thanks again Francis I look foreward to the pics and some good numbers. Jason

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2004 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

I think you should bring your 3.4 also. I know I'm (and a few others) counting on this intake to bring out the full potential of this larger displacement engine. Thanks again Francis I look foreward to the pics and some good numbers. Jason

Definately bring the 3.4. I plan to put mine on a ported lower plenum and stick a ported throttle body on it, then stick all that on my 3.4. I think it will make a significant difference.

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
bump from page 2

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

My Fiero XoticRydz
Mid-Rear Madness

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
count me in, i've got the 3.4 also and want a bigger intake manifold set up....
m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
well, ive got two fiero's with the 3.4L, but ill probably be bringing my white 87GT 3.4L, custom 2.5" exhaust from the Y of the y-pipe down, ported stock exhaust manifolds, and bored plenum and throttlebody, lastly 19# mustang injectors, other than those items its bone stock, i have not ported the middle or lower manifolds at all, and the car starts bogging down at 4800 RPM or so needing more air, a custom chip would do my car wonders also, it just doesnt feel like its running right to me.

matthew

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Hold off on buying that chip for now Matt. I replaced my stock one with a Hypertec and it didn't help much for the money. It leanded the mix some to compensate for the lack of air at higher rpm. Since we put the turbo on my 2.8 Troy burned a chip to match things up better. In your case, with the better flow from our new manifold, the stock chip may be better than an aftermarket one. If not, and we're in no way going to do this for others, but because of your support with the project (free engine etc), I think Troy will burn a custom chip for you. With the dyno printouts he'll know just what to do. I love the setup he did for me.
m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
sounds fine to me, i was going to contact darthfiero to get a chip custom made for my application only, but ill hold off till we test the new intake.

matthew

The Punisher

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 433
User Banned

Report this Post10-20-2004 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherDirect Link to This Post
When you run these on a dyno please use a wideband. Thats all I ask for

Thanks

SH

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Without doing dyno/wideband, you can't really 'order' that good of a custom chip. And we will use a wideband. The runs we made on my 2.8 were done with a wideband, thus we have some good data to compare the new manifold with.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
What kind of chip editing capabilities do you have? Obviously, recording the changes from a stock program that will be necessary to run your intake on a stock engine will give you a big head start in being able to tune the intake on a modified engine because you'll have excellent data on how it affects VE curve relative to stock...
PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
We have a burner and program and can change most any paramitor, but we're not going to offer that service. It's too big of a P.I.A, since people like to keep changing things on their engines and then complain that the chip is NG. Besides, you really have to put a car on a dyno with a wideband to do it right. I think the setup we brought to do our own chips cost something like $300, but I could be wrong. That's not too big an investment, but you best know what you're doing before you start to play around with chips. My son Troy does engine amagment systems and knows his stuff, I'm still in the dark about a lot of it. When all is said and done with the manifolds, he may make suggestions, but I know he doesn't want to get into that area.
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Da-bump!

Any word on timing?

Fire451

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2004 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fire451Click Here to visit Fire451's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fire451Direct Link to This Post
Bump... Just seeing how it's going
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2004 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Like I said a few post back, we ordered the custom mandrils and they could take another few weeks. After which, we'll work-up the finial prototype and post some pictures etc. Hang in there, they're comming.
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2004 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Woo-hoo! thanks very much buddy
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2004 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
Put me down as a potential buyer. I would hope it would wake up my highly modified 3.4. What would really be nice if you'ld make one to fit gen 3 heads, just a thought. I've been following this since it started and desided to add my 2 cents. Keep up the good work. Waiting patiently
pred1tor83

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2004 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pred1tor83Send a Private Message to pred1tor83Direct Link to This Post
wow 7 pages and not any progress or evena pic :
donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post11-09-2004 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
Optimal runner dia for a fiero head is 1.54, yours is 1.375
A combined runner length of 13" including the head is about 2 to 4 inches to short for a 3.4 depending on tune. In my case, turning 6000rpm with a 272 cam the perfect length would be 14"......add some length as you detune and come down in rpm.

So if im building a 7500rpm large cam 3.4 that runner length would work. But the runners are too narrow and would negate any positive gains from the length tuning.

Tell me what you think.

I didnt even bother testing the numbers for the plenum.

[This message has been edited by donk316 (edited 11-09-2004).]

Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2004 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
Donk 316: How would this intake work with my 288/298 cam in my 3.4
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2004 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for no updates as of late, been out of the country a few weeks. No pics, because we're still waiting for the custom mandrils, As for the last question: Optium runner size & lenght is depandant on a lot of factors and nice talk about and maybe even put a priority on if you're 'only planning' to build one on paper. As for making a real one, the larger dia mandrils would require larger bends and that would make the manifolds higher, so much so, that everyone would have to cut huge holes in the top of their engine lids and put a scoop or something over it. I don't think that would go over too well with most people. One of reasons it takes so long to design and build such things, (unless you have the computer systems and programs like GM) is that what looks great on paper (or you simple CAD program) does not always work when applied to the real thing. Don't worry, you'll like it a lot when you see it.
PFF
System Bot
Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2004 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
I would like it. Put 2 TB's on top , might look like a tunnel ram. Awesume
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2004 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
We're still waiting for the custom mandrils to get here. Hopefully my next bump will state that we have them.
Troymx576

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2004 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Troymx576Click Here to visit Troymx576's HomePageSend a Private Message to Troymx576Direct Link to This Post
I got a call from the place I am buying the mandrels and they said they were getting shipped the beginning of this week. They are coming truck freight to me from west coast Canada to me. I was hoping to get them this week but they have not come in yet. I am pretty sure I will get them next week and once they are done I will let you know.

Donk316. Once I get the intake prototype done I will post all information. I will try to make the length as long as possible to within space constraints. You cannot just say lets make it this size and that long because of major space restraints. Well, I could but the trunk would not close. When you see what it looks like when done you will see what I am talking about. I do welcome your comments and opinions as this subject. If you want to email me at Troymx576@aol.com and I can discuss if further if you want about specifics. When I ordered the piping it is actually much longer in length so I will make it as long within what I can. I will also get more specifics on the lengths and diameters when the final prototype is done.

PS: The time the vendors are taking is killing me much more than it is killing any of you.

Troy

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2004 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Excellent, thanks for the update! I can hardly wait to see what you have come up with.

Sour

Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2004 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Quickster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2004 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for QuicksterSend a Private Message to QuicksterDirect Link to This Post
Yeah Buddy! I'm watchin' this puppy................................!
watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2004 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Troymx576:
They are coming truck freight to me from west coast Canada to me.

Who are they?! I'll go drive over there and kick someone's ass....

Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2004 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxDirect Link to This Post
I did read this entire thread... but that was months ago.

Basic question..... how benificial do you think this intake would be on a stock 2.8 with stock PROM ID?

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2004 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skybax:
I did read this entire thread... but that was months ago.
Basic question..... how benificial do you think this intake would be on a stock 2.8 with stock PROM ID?

the whole key to opened intake is opened exhaust also. but, even with stock/unported exhaust manifolds, I do believe it will really help (2-5HP) a stock 2.8 with stock ECM in the 4500+ rpm area. but, with a cam & headers, yeehaw! 2-5 HP doesnt sound like a whole lot, but its also a longer power curve, so you can make a little more power a little longer, moving up the shift point
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock