Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  hi-flo manifold update (Page 9)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 
Previous Page | Next Page
hi-flo manifold update by Francis T
Started on: 05-27-2004 03:16 PM
Replies: 1156
Last post by: Francis T on 07-09-2009 05:47 PM
fierogt88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2004 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt88Send a Private Message to fierogt88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Well... NOW it's PFI and we haven't had the same problem since. When we had the icing issue, it was carbeureted... which is why it had a phenolic carb spacer

Continuing on this tangent, the temperature drop is two parts... latent heat from fuel atomization/vaporization and temperature drop due to expansion across the throttle plate With a dry manifold, the latent heat of the fuel is not present; the potential for throttle icing is greatly reduced, but still present.

The 500 now has a fuel injection manifold from a 70's Caddy. Instead of the original peak/hold injectors and analog ECM, we have modified the HEI distributor to package an LT1 optical distributor pickup and are running '94/5 LT1 electronics, along with LT1 Edit for tuning. With the MAF in place, all that was necessary to get it to start up and run reasonably well was changing the cylinder size constant from 0.717 to 1.025 (Litres per cylinder!) and setting the injector size constant appropriately (using modern injectors, not the original peak/holds).

Perhaps, but again if you don't drive your fiero in freezing conditions, like a large portion of this board, there is no problem with bypassing it. Especially with a high flow manifold such as the one being developed.

Cadiburban? I would like to see more info on that!

IP: Logged
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2004 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Built 700R4 transmission (barely adequate), with conversion to a 4L80E in the works with a dual stator torque convertor from truck with 350 and towing package. Dual stator torque convertor has MUCH higher torque multiplication for a given stall speed than a standard convertor.
What else do you want to know?

------------------
Turn the key and feel the engine shake the whole car with its lope; Plant the gas pedal and feel in your chest neither a shriek nor a wail but a bellowing roar; Lift and be pushed into the harness by compression braking that only comes from the biggest cylinders while listening to music of pops and gurgles. Know that you are driving an American V8. There are finer engines made, but none of them are this cool.

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2004 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Before anybody gets the wrong idea, our manifolds will accommodate TB heating, mounting point for the MAP Sen/coolant-lines bracket and all.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2004 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I sure hope it has a mounting point for a MAP sensor
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2004 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post

Everything is looking quite good and Troy should be posting info real soon.

I've been in suspense since last night waiting on the news and pics, is this gonna be a christmas gift type of deal for pennocks, or will he be posting info/pics before christmas?

gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2004 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt88:

Perhaps, but again if you don't drive your fiero in freezing conditions, like a large portion of this board, there is no problem with bypassing it. Especially with a high flow manifold such as the one being developed.

Freezing isn't necessarily the issue, due point is. Moisture that's condensing in the air is a fine line away from turning to ice, like when being drawn through a venturii by a vacuum. If it's foggy out it'll get pretty cold at the throttle plate. Here in the PNW I personally would leave it intact.

Norm

Troymx576

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2004 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Troymx576Click Here to visit Troymx576's HomePageSend a Private Message to Troymx576Direct Link to This Post
I will have an update here very soon with pictures on Sunday.
Troy
AaronZ34

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 408
User Banned

Report this Post12-24-2004 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Troymx576:

I will have an update here very soon with pictures on Sunday.
Troy

Sunday it is, we're going to hold you to that!

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2004 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Hmm... I know of a certain dyno day I'm attending on Jan 8th....
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2004 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
harmless *bump*
AaronZ34

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 408
User Banned

Report this Post12-26-2004 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post
Harmless bump and warning-Yall have just 7.5 hours left!
PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2004 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Hey, the days not over yet! Actually, Troy just got done with the picture taking and he's on his way home to put them up his website. He'll post a link here in a little while. Keep watching..............
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2004 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2004 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
OH BOY! Pictures!!
MarkJPana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2004 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkJPanaSend a Private Message to MarkJPanaDirect Link to This Post
ah! the suspense is killing me
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2004 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
My son just called to let me know that his cable and thus, his DSL has been down! As soon as it's up, he'll do the link etc. We're not trying to tease, we want you people to see them even more than you. I suppose, worse case, maybe I could take some pics and then let someone post them as I never seem to have much luck putting pictures up on PFF. I'm going to hold off on that option as I know my son really wants post the pictures he took today. That near-chrome looks great!
MarkJPana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2004 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkJPanaSend a Private Message to MarkJPanaDirect Link to This Post
how about just a teaser pic?
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2004 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Ah! The suspense I can't wait to see how they look.

Sour

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2004 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
...my god...there's still no pics? lol...this is killing me..
TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2004 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
PLEASE POST THE PICS
PRETTY PLEASE
PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP
pretty please with sugar on top and a cherry????
just plain Please????

well damn... i tried.

------------------
'86 Fiero GT
My Fiero XoticRydz Mid-Rear Madness

Be Excellent To Each Other" - Bill S. Preston Esquire Ted Theadore Logan

Troymx576

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2004 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Troymx576Click Here to visit Troymx576's HomePageSend a Private Message to Troymx576Direct Link to This Post
Cable is now working. Pics and info coming here in a little bit. I have to upload the server on my website and compress the pictures.
PFF
System Bot
Troymx576

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2004 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Troymx576Click Here to visit Troymx576's HomePageSend a Private Message to Troymx576Direct Link to This Post
The server host can not accept pictures right now for some reason. I can updated my website whenever I want and now this happens. I just called him and it is 12:15 at night and he is working on it. If someone can host a pic or two and give me a link we can post a pic or two. Email me at Troymx576@aol.com and I will send you the pics for now. The server guy said he is working on it and is hoping to have it back up in a few hours.
Troy
You can IM me at Troymx576 if you are on and can host a pic or two for a day

[This message has been edited by Troymx576 (edited 12-27-2004).]

Troymx576

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2004 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Troymx576Click Here to visit Troymx576's HomePageSend a Private Message to Troymx576Direct Link to This Post

Troymx576

35 posts
Member since Sep 2004
Here are the links to the page when the website is back up, but I would not try it right away.
Sorry for the delay. If you see a pic of the back of a car then it is not updated. I just put that there as a placeholder until I have the manifold pics.

Fiero intake manifold page

I will have more details up this week. I am going to do a full install page with details and installiation pictures and prodecures on Tuesday/Wednesday. I plan to go to flowbench test it this Wednesday or next Wendesday. I have Wendesdays off and if there is time available at the shop this week I will go over and take care of it. I will post the results once I get them.

Troy

[This message has been edited by Troymx576 (edited 12-27-2004).]

Troymx576

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2004 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Troymx576Click Here to visit Troymx576's HomePageSend a Private Message to Troymx576Direct Link to This Post

Troymx576

35 posts
Member since Sep 2004
Pic should work now with the links above. Sorry for the delay.

Coop9200

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2004 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Coop9200Click Here to visit Coop9200's HomePageSend a Private Message to Coop9200Direct Link to This Post
let me be the first to say...job well done.. It looks just unbelievable. I hope i get the funds to purchase that product sometime, it's just amazing

nice again

-Coop

Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2004 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
Very nice.

For those that don't know, that lower flange that fits the stock lower intake is a PITA to make. The lower manifold has rectangular ports, so you have to transition to round, and 4 of the 6 are VERY close together, so welding is very tight.
The fuel rail has to bolt to this manifold, so alignment is critical for the injectors to fit the stock lower manifold.

Question for Troy and Francis, have you considered using one as a master to have a casting made? Just curious......Paul

JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2004 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
impressive to say the least
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2004 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Shiny. Want.

Looks tall... Is it still roughly the same height as the parts it's replacing?

Troymx576

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2004 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Troymx576Click Here to visit Troymx576's HomePageSend a Private Message to Troymx576Direct Link to This Post
I looked at making castings but the mold for a casting is in the 15k range each and we would have needed a few different ones to make it done.

The intake is taller than stock, but will fit in the Fiero engine bay and not hit the engine lid.

The lower flange is really hard to make and takes up a larger portion of the time to make. The base flange has multiple angles. That is what took a while to get done. The first ones I did not like the way they came out and redesigned them.

For injector placement, thorttle body placement and other items. If it fit on stock it will fit on this. I took a lot of time making a lot of jigs for each item so it will fit without problems in the stock location and bolt up.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2004 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
looks nice - should give some strong low end with those long runners
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2004 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

looks nice - should give some strong low end with those long runners

honestly i think low end feel will be very slightly improved, (the fiero pulls good low end now) but the 3000-6000 RPM pull should be MUCH stronger, and people with 3.1L and 3.4L engines will see the most gain from this, im not sure if anyone remembers the dual throttle body setup that cooter made, but his showed like a 50HP increase at the wheels, so im sure that this intake even being a single throttle body will see 30-40HP increases, its a VERY well designed peice, and im sure that ill be getting more than one in the future.

matthew

PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2004 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
What is the overall runner length of stock vs. your manifold.
This bolts onto the factory lower intake, right?

------------------
Turn the key and feel the engine shake the whole car with its lope; Plant the gas pedal and feel in your chest neither a shriek nor a wail but a bellowing roar; Lift and be pushed into the harness by compression braking that only comes from the biggest cylinders while listening to music of pops and gurgles. Know that you are driving an American V8. There are finer engines made, but none of them are this cool.

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2004 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post
Me want.
How much and when can they be purchased?

------------------
Activities Director N.I.F.E.

www.fierofocus.com

[This message has been edited by Dave Gunsul (edited 12-27-2004).]

Scythe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2004 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ScytheSend a Private Message to ScytheDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dave Gunsul:

Me want.
How much and when can they be purchased?

ditto

Ralphy Boy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2004 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ralphy BoySend a Private Message to Ralphy BoyDirect Link to This Post
Seems like I joined this forum at the perfect time. Add another to your list of interested and likely to purchase. Nice work, that looks like a very high quality piece you have engineered.
will_p

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2004 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for will_pSend a Private Message to will_pDirect Link to This Post
Been watching this thread for a while, defineatly want one if I can afford it, too bad I already had Darrell Morse Port out my intakes, that may have been $ wasted... oh well thats the story of my fiero

Will

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2004 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Yes. That is very nice!
Regarding the fitment of a larger throttle body, does it require a different pipe from the TB flange to the plenum? Or is the pipe large enough to accommodate a larger flange?
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2004 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Awesome, just awesome. Did you guys get my email?
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2004 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Fastback 86

7849 posts
Member since Sep 2003
For those concerned about larger Throttle Bodies, Oreif told me a while back that a Darrell Morse ported TB is actually just about the perfect size (as far as flow) for the 3.4 pushrod engines, meaning its more than enough for the 2.8 and 3.1 engines. I plan on using a Darrell Morse TB instead of trying to make a bigger non-fiero one work. A ported lower manifold will also help.
jd_66

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2004 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jd_66Send a Private Message to jd_66Direct Link to This Post
AWESOME! hope i can afford
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock