Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  hi-flo manifold update (Page 20)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 
Previous Page | Next Page
hi-flo manifold update by Francis T
Started on: 05-27-2004 03:16 PM
Replies: 1156
Last post by: Francis T on 07-09-2009 05:47 PM
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2006 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
I think it is actually touch it and has rubbed some of the paint off the under side of the deck lid due to engine movement. I think if I was to grind the weld down on one spot it would not be touching. It's only touching on the end with the map sensor.
IP: Logged
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Just some updates.

Exhaust Headers: We are still waiting for our header flanges to get here so we probably wont have our headers/Y-pipe sets ready for Carlisles. But we are fully commited to making them and they will be awesume.

Intakes: We now have an even brighter finesh for our near-chrome intakes

Side Note: I will soon put up for sale the last of our long runner intakes as we are staying with the shart units. There's just not enough of a dif proformance-wise between the two and most folks only want the shorts anyway. That last unit has the new style neck (only 2 seams) and no velocity stacks as it was an early unit but will still out proform even a modified stock intake by a wide margin. It will be sold well below our normal price. I'll list that pice when I put the picture up and I'll hold of a few days before coating it in case someone wants a particular color. Afterwhich, we'll do it in near-chrome.

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Francis T

6620 posts
Member since Oct 2003
Just some updates.

Exhaust Headers: We are still waiting for our header flanges to get here so we probably wont have our headers/Y-pipe sets ready for Carlisles. But we are fully commited to making them and they will be awesume.

Intakes: We now have an even brighter finesh for our near-chrome intakes

Side Note: I will soon put up for sale the last of our long runner intakes as we are staying with the shart units. There's just not enough of a dif proformance-wise between the two and most folks only want the shorts anyway. That last unit has the new style neck (only 2 seams) and no velocity stacks as it was an early unit but will still out proform even a modified stock intake by a wide margin. It will be sold well below our normal price. I'll list that pice when I put the picture up and I'll hold of a few days before coating it in case someone wants a particular color. Afterwhich, we'll do it in near-chrome.

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
Will that include a performance cross-over? Will it have a 2.5" downpipe? If so, sign me up as customer #1.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 04-19-2006).]

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
It will have the left and right header and a custom Y pipe, we may look into the down pipe too. BTW: We plan to locate the header collectors back enough to make a much smoother junction and get rid of those tite turns, thus they will be sold onlt with oue Y pipe as part of the cost as the stock one wont work..
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
Will the y-pipe clear a 3.4 with a G6's 6-speed?
Incase you haven't heard, my 2.8 has that tranny on it.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Opsss the down pipe is part of the Y pipe, for a moment i thought you were talking about the rest of the exhaust system under the car. That we may look into but more likely won't. The problem with Fiero exhaust is with what's on top and not whats under the car.
88 Formula

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Francis,
Do you know if the headers and y-pipe will clear a 4T60 transmission? Any idea on price range yet?

------------------
88 Formula, T-Tops, 4spd/auto, 3.2 V6, balanced, 9.5 comp ratio, roller chain, roller tip rockers, H260 cam, Darrell Morse throttle body, 19lb injectors, Trueleo intake, Spintech muffler, K&N , White 16" GTZ wheels

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2006 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Our Y pipe will follow the same path as the stock one and like our intakes we'll probably make the EGR takeoff something that can be omitted for those that dont want it. Cant give ya price yet, but our goal is to be aprciably lower than whats out there now. We'll likely offer a nice package deal too for those that also want to buy an intake. It will be one heck of 'bolt-on" upgrade proformance-wise.

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2006 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
I guess looking at the pics here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/072050-2.html
and since you say it's going to take the stock path, it should fit just fine.

Count me in! When do we get pics?

88 Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2006 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for prompt reply, if it follows the stock path the 4spd auto guys shouldn't have a problem.

------------------
88 Formula, T-Tops, 4spd/auto, 3.2 V6, balanced, 9.5 comp ratio, roller chain, roller tip rockers, H260 cam, Darrell Morse throttle body, 19lb injectors, Trueleo intake, Spintech muffler, K&N , White 16" GTZ wheels

PFF
System Bot
kwagner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2006 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:

We'll likely offer a nice package deal too for those that also want to buy an intake. It will be one heck of 'bolt-on" upgrade proformance-wise.

Looking forward to being a customer for that package deal

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2006 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
as the owner of a trueleo intake, and a 3.4L pushrod engine in my fiero, i made a custom y-pipe for my fiero using a 2.5" diameter downpipe, i have to say, its a very large downpipe and it takes up too much room, if frank were to make a custom y-pipe with a downpipe, id suggest using 1.5-1.75" pipe for the collector pipes, then Y them together into a 2.25" downpipe, the 2.5" would be too large for most applications, and may interfere with the coolent pipe or shift cables.

stock is 2 1.25" pipes sandwiched together into a 1.87" or so downpipe at the Y part of the y-pipe collector, it crams the sizes down to nearly .80" which is tiny,

the perfect y-pipe in my opinion would be 1.5" pipes flowing into a Y with a 2.25" downpipe

matthew

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2006 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
stock crossover pipe for the 3.4dohc is 2.25" , seeing as they are 205-215 hp stock - i wouldn't go any less than 2" for the cross over tubing for a performance 2.8

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 04-20-2006).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2006 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kwagner:

Looking forward to being a customer for that package deal

dually noted
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
We updated our website and it shows the new smoother inlet neeks with less welds. Just want to say, we are placing the vacuum take-offs on the rear of the plenium for a cleaner look instead of on the neck. And we're still wainting to recieve the flanges for exhuast headers/Y pipe units.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Been getting more inquires so here's an update on the headers/Y pipe : We're making good progress hav e a set on our test engine and will should be confirming in-car fit soon. Once that's done, we'll make all the jigs for production and start to ship them out. BTW they look impresive and should work great. Pricing plus specs soon and you'll like both.
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
This is good to hear.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
And the Fiero community will continue to beat a path to your door.
Quickster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuicksterSend a Private Message to QuicksterDirect Link to This Post
I'm really curious about the 'Y' Pipe and if it will be a "Bolt-On" application. Also and espically interested about the flow rate of the "New" vs. the "Old"........
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Very, very excited about this package deal that has been mentioned! Can't wait for pictures!
PFF
System Bot
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2006 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Any pics yet? Even just one of them on the test engine? I'm dyin' here!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2006 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
And the Fiero community will continue to beat a path to your door.

You all think I'm kidding!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-24-2006).]

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
bump

------------------

Low Original Miles at 39,006!!!

Otherwise stock for now ;)

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Sorry guys and we want to show you all pics reqal bad too, we just dont want to show one thing only to have to make a few mods and deliever yet another thing. We are very very close. Been trying to get them on the 87 GT for a final test fit and get my car done and out of the way, but this heat is just doing a number on me. I just came in to cool off again with only one bolt left to get out so I can get my car done. I can promise you wont be disapointed by the design or price.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2006 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Exhaust Headers / Y pipe update:
Yes we have been working on the headers. I test fitted them on my 87GT 5 spd and found a few items to address such as one pipe being a little too close a couple of spark boots and some other issues. Nothing really difficult to fix, just need to change a few jigs some and update the headers I made etc. I hope to get it all spot-on soon and post some pictures etc.
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2006 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the update
My money's waiting...
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2006 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I also discovered that our cars use at least two different types of Y pipes! One Y pipe that i have has a simple strait pipe below the flange that fits into the exhaust. My 86 4spd is like that. And when I pulled the Y pipe off my 87 5spd, thats has a rounded flange on the down pipe section (simular to ones for the headers) that fits into the exhaust system? I'll have to take a look, but maybe that rounded part just slips over the strait pipe and only looks like it's one piece because of rust? Anyone have any more info on the down section of the Y pipes? If need be, I guess we'll have to offer both types.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2006 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
The round part is just a donut that fits over the straight pipe, below the flange.
At least that's how it is on the 88s. (Yet another Y-pipe design.)
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2006 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Can't wait!! -Jason
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2006 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Indeed, and thanks Raydar. I went and took a good at it and was able to remove it without much effort and then put it on our Y pipe. It just had so much rust from the pipe on it it looked like it was welded to it. I dont kown if I'll be able reuse the O2 senore, that looks really rusted bad, but sse if can it off. I'm trying to do the install the same as you guys will so I can document any special directions that may make the install easier.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2006 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Just grab a new O2 sensor. If it's rusted that badly, it needed changing anyway.
Most of them do.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2006 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
That's what I was thinking and will get a new O2 sensore. I'm also going to weld in a second fitting on the down pipe so I dont have to mickey-mouse it when whenever we put the wideband on the car. We can that for customers, just let us know. I have a fitting like that on my turbo 86GT and a quick connect from the MAP sensore. Makes testing and tunning (for burns) new mods a lot easier.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2006 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Francis T

6620 posts
Member since Oct 2003
OK, I got the front header on and it dont need any mods. Only thing I saw was that the clutch cable should be tie wraped to keep it a little frather away from the down pipe and a couple wires well need the tei wraped t stay away from the pipes. Nothing that wont take but a min or two to do. Not sure yet if we need to offer two Y pipes, 4 spd & 5 spd? There seems to be a slight dif between the two. You cant tell by looking at them next to each, but if you put them in gij you can. All and all, it's coming along good. And I'm doing the test fitting wiht the engine in the car and without losening the motor mounts and pulling the engine to rear of the car as some do to get more room.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2006 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
I'll probably Jet Hott mine when I get them. The Fiero Store Sprints I had were coated and I had NO problem with heat in the engine compartment compared to the stock shielded ones.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2006 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the delay people, I decided to make some major changes to some of the jigs (and they are complicated) to insure consisant fit. Got that done today and will test fit on the car again in the morning. If it all goes well, should have some pics etc in a few days.
Oh and those of you that have been waiting and sending us e-mails, I'd like to know how many of you are planning to use a non-stock exhaust system.
Thanks Francis
rjblaze

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2006 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Count me in for information when your headers are done....if they are anything like your intake they should be awesome!!!! I am planning to use the Ocelot down pipe and exhaust system from the Fiero Store....my system is all JetHot coated inside and out (including the muffler) and should work well with your set-up.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2006 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Ok I have them back on the car and they fit and clear almost everything. I had to change the shape of #1 pipe as it was too close to the plugs and the vent tube for the coil fan. But looks good now. Buyers will have to rerout a few wires and such to get them away from the pipes. Compared to stock, there 's lot more piping with headers, which is useualy the case with any headers and other cars. And the coffee can air resouver needs to be mounted vertical, easy to do. I just have to take them off the car again, weld them all up (mostly just tachs now) and take pictures. Oh, and did I say they look awesume!
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2006 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:

Ok I have them back on the car and they fit and clear almost everything. I had to change the shape of #1 pipe as it was too close to the plugs and the vent tube for the coil fan. But looks good now. Buyers will have to rerout a few wires and such to get them away from the pipes. Compared to stock, there 's lot more piping with headers, which is useualy the case with any headers and other cars. And the coffee can air resouver needs to be mounted vertical, easy to do. I just have to take them off the car again, weld them all up (mostly just tachs now) and take pictures. Oh, and did I say they look awesume!

Quickster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2006 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuicksterSend a Private Message to QuicksterDirect Link to This Post
Hey! How can I tell how they look,....Ya' didn't include any pics!!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock