Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  hi-flo manifold update (Page 12)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 
Previous Page | Next Page
hi-flo manifold update by Francis T
Started on: 05-27-2004 03:16 PM
Replies: 1156
Last post by: Francis T on 07-09-2009 05:47 PM
The Funkmaster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2005 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Troy, I won't be able to purchase one of your intakes until my bank account recuperates... I just found out how much I'm spending on my rebuild. Scary numbers. Anyhow, I should be able to nab one march/-ish. Just letting you know.

Steve

------------------

IP: Logged
Dan010

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2005 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan010Send a Private Message to Dan010Direct Link to This Post
I have purchased one of the long runner intakes for my 3.4 automatic !!
Will be receiving it next week.
The communication/emails with Troy have been "Excellent"
THANK YOU TROY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2005 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump, because we still haven't confirmed anyone with a 2.8 for the dyno.
Troymx576

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2005 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Troymx576Click Here to visit Troymx576's HomePageSend a Private Message to Troymx576Direct Link to This Post
We still need someone with a 2.8L that came come up on 2-9-04. A free dynotime on me. How could anyone say no to that. hehe

Troy

Bill Strong

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2005 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Bill StrongClick Here to visit Bill Strong's HomePageSend a Private Message to Bill StrongDirect Link to This Post
How about a 4.6... what is your name??? Troy???
hmm.. I know a troy...

I need one of those man....
cuz the Northstar plastic manifold is not what I want for this
http://www.v8mr2.com/images/day94/images/P1160430.jpg

call me when you get a chance troy
434-996-6721

------------------
Bill Strong
Racing Strong Motorsports

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2005 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Placing my order tonight or tomorrow.
Short runners for me.

Thank you for all the quick responses to my questions, Troy.
You have email.

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2005 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Raydar
One more thing on the 2.8-dyno-volunteer we’re seeking, consider this, the guys doing the dyno testing (my son included) are top race engine builders/tuners, and thus you’ll also get some valuable input.
DelawareFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 139
User Banned

Report this Post01-17-2005 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DelawareFieroSend a Private Message to DelawareFieroDirect Link to This Post
email sent
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2005 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I can't beleive this project came thru! Congratulations to you and thanks for this contribution to the Fiero community That intake looks great! Looks like a V6 TPI I would be very interested in the dyno results. If they are pleasing I'll have the $$$ ready for one and see if I can improve my 3.4 project Great product.

------------------
Palm Beach Fieros
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2005 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
I could volunteer my highly modified 3.4 if you like

------------------
85 GT 3.4
Auto 3.08
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60"

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2005 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Thanks and you have two really nice looking rides there Alex
PFF
System Bot
AaronZ34

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 408
User Banned

Report this Post01-17-2005 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lilchief:

I could volunteer my highly modified 3.4 if you like

Off topic and please don't take offense, but "highly modified" and you are only running 14.9s? A 3.4L TDC will run flat 14s stock...

But if you have some decent mods, cam, heads, headers, etc, a short runner intake would do wonders.

------------------
1992 Lumina Z34 5-speed For Sale, modified(high 13s), or stock
14.78 @ 92.68

1992 Lumina Z34 5-speed
Stock, takes my butt to work...Sometimes...

3.4L TDC V6, getting built to about 430hp at 8000rpm for a 88GT

Troymx576

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2005 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Troymx576Click Here to visit Troymx576's HomePageSend a Private Message to Troymx576Direct Link to This Post
We have a modified 3.4 going now, but email me and we can talk. Troy@Trueleo.com

I still need a 2.8L to go with us. OK, I am going to up the incentive. If you can commit to it and guarantee me you will go on 2-9-04, Wednesday, I will give a free manifold, install it in your car on the dyno, tune your car with it on there and make a custom tuned chip for the car.

Now do I have any takers?

Troy

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 408
User Banned

Report this Post01-17-2005 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post
Holy crap is that an offer...I almost want to buy the GT I'm looking at, drive it out to VA, get that done, get it back to CO and sell the complete 2.8 with the chip and intake.

Goddang someone take this...

Dan010

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2005 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan010Send a Private Message to Dan010Direct Link to This Post
Troy, wish I had a 2.8 !!!!!!!!!

I received my new intake today, looks FANTASTIC !!!

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2005 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
Troy im pretty sure with that offer, my buddy will come, ill ask him, and let you know tomorrow, or he will let you know on this thread.

[This message has been edited by m0sh_man (edited 01-18-2005).]

MRJ

Feedback score:    (36)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2005 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MRJClick Here to visit MRJ's HomePageSend a Private Message to MRJDirect Link to This Post
Hey Troy this is Matt Jackson Mosh's friend. I'll roll with hiim out there and try out my 88 GT. Sounds like a great plan! ! This means I'll take the free intake and commit this day to come out there.
Matt Jackson

[This message has been edited by MRJ (edited 01-17-2005).]

m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2005 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Troymx576:

you will go on 2-9-04,

Troy

your almost a year late troy... er well we are almost a year late!!!

[This message has been edited by m0sh_man (edited 01-17-2005).]

JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2005 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
holy crap, I wish I could get in on this. You'll have no problem findin people if the intake's free! someone's gettin a deal

------------------
96k Miles, 2nd owner

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2005 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Troy, how long will this intake be at its current price, and what do you plan on changing the price to after that?
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2005 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Just to let everyone know:
Troy Emailed me the measurements and on the flow computer at work The short runner should flow around 470cfm and the long runner about 455cfm. Troy also mentioned he has velocity stacks inside which are not able to be put into the computer model. So the flow rates are only based on measurements, But even at the low end of the calculations, either of these intakes will outflow the cast heads even with max porting. In other words, the intake restriction under normal aspiration or even boost will be gone. 455cfm would support up to 350hp (provided the heads, cylinders, and exhaust could handle the same.)

Troy and Francis, Not sure what the cost would be, But since the basic design is down, You may want to experiment changing the flange that bolts to the lower intake so it fits the aluminum headed 60* V-6's as well. It would basically just be a flange change and there is a large market for this type of intake especially with the J-body cars. Just an idea since the aluminum heads flow way better than the cast heads and your intake design has enough flow to work with them as well.

PFF
System Bot
Troymx576

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2005 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Troymx576Click Here to visit Troymx576's HomePageSend a Private Message to Troymx576Direct Link to This Post
Oreif, Thanks for all the information. That is great to know the intake can flow that much based on the computer. Now we can test the data versus the dyno here soon. I read somewhere that the velocity stacks can flow up to 20% more than a normal runner. Once we get rolling here and cought up we may look at the alum heads and doing that. I just already feel really far behind all the time now.

About the dynoday. I do not need anyone else now. I decided to just use Franks car. He has a modified 2.8L but it does have a turbo, for now. I will just disconnect the turbo and put the stock injectors in with the stock intake, then change to a larger tb, then change to the long runner intake, then tune it with a chip, then put the larger tb on and tune then. After this then I will change the injectors and hook the turbo back up and tune for that for him.

I want to tune a more modified 2.8L because that will need more fuel, so if I sent a chip to someone less modified then it will just be a tab bit richer, which is safe.

On the price increase. I am not sure yet. I am thinking march 1st, but it may be earlier. We will see how sales go.
Troy

m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2005 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

Just to let everyone know:
Troy Emailed me the measurements and on the flow computer at work The short runner should flow around 470cfm and the long runner about 455cfm. Troy also mentioned he has velocity stacks inside which are not able to be put into the computer model. So the flow rates are only based on measurements, But even at the low end of the calculations, either of these intakes will outflow the cast heads even with max porting. In other words, the intake restriction under normal aspiration or even boost will be gone. 455cfm would support up to 350hp (provided the heads, cylinders, and exhaust could handle the same.)

Troy and Francis, Not sure what the cost would be, But since the basic design is down, You may want to experiment changing the flange that bolts to the lower intake so it fits the aluminum headed 60* V-6's as well. It would basically just be a flange change and there is a large market for this type of intake especially with the J-body cars. Just an idea since the aluminum heads flow way better than the cast heads and your intake design has enough flow to work with them as well.

i agree with oreif on this one, If i could use alloy heads and the lower intake from the aloyhead motor, id definatly go that route, my friends 92 cavalier put out 182HP at the wheels on the dyno with his modified 3.1L alloy head motor using the stock throttlebody and plenum.

using troy's intake with the other alloyhead 3.1L stuff, all the electronic hookups and such would work just fine, and still be able to use the fiero distributor with that motor, which has always been the breaking point of the install of such motor.

Boy, oh boy, think about making This new intake work with a 96+ 3400 v6 lower intake manifold and heads, that should be good for over 200HP on a stock motor.

matthew

MRJ

Feedback score:    (36)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2005 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MRJClick Here to visit MRJ's HomePageSend a Private Message to MRJDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Troymx576:

We have a modified 3.4 going now, but email me and we can talk. Troy@Trueleo.com

I still need a 2.8L to go with us. OK, I am going to up the incentive. If you can commit to it and guarantee me you will go on 2-9-04, Wednesday, I will give a free manifold, install it in your car on the dyno, tune your car with it on there and make a custom tuned chip for the car.

Troy

I committed, guaranteed, and also emailed you at Troymx576@aol.com 25 minutes after you offered this. I was planning on getting my car painted before I come there and also take it down to Daytona at the end of March to show it off to everyone. So maybe you could reconsider if I got to a couple shows this year with the car? Well either way please let me know.
------------------
MRJ
My Black 87GT SOLD!!

[This message has been edited by MRJ (edited 01-18-2005).]

fklucznik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2005 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fklucznikClick Here to visit fklucznik's HomePageSend a Private Message to fklucznikDirect Link to This Post
BUMP
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2005 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by m0sh_man:

Boy, oh boy, think about making This new intake work with a 96+ 3400 v6 lower intake manifold and heads, that should be good for over 200HP on a stock motor.

matthew

The 96+ 3400 V6 pushrod engines made 185hp and 210tq bone stock in the minivan's. Anyone who has ever seen the exhaust manifolds and exhaust systems on one of these vehicles knows there is a LOT of room for improvement. 200+hp is easily attainable by just running better exhaust on one of these engines. Throw in a performance cam and you have more power on top of that. The 3100 and 3400 engines have much shorter runner intake setups than the old 2.8 Fiero and 2.8/3.1 alum head engines besides the fact the runners appear to be slightly bigger in diameter. Believe it or not, the 3100 engines use the same heads as the 2.8/3.1 alum head engines (not 100% sure about 3400). The only difference is in the intakes and cams. In other words what I am trying to say here is you wouldn't need this hi-flo intake to make over 200hp on a 3400. However, having said that, there is another thing to consider...

Particularly for the Fiero, the biggest issue when trying to use a 3100 or 3400 is the fact that the intake manifold won't allow for the use of a distributor. I don't even think the lower intake casting will allow enough clearance for the distributor even if you were running a custom upper. Of course, you could run a Beretta 2.8/3.1 computer so you could use the DIS ignition system that comes with the 3100/3400 but some people might find that too much hassle because of the wiring. (although truth be told I think it is more hassle to try to use all the stock Fiero components on one of these newer engines when the newer engines are superior in every way to the Fiero's 2.8, but thats just my opinion). Keep in mind if you switch to aluminum heads your stock Fiero exhaust manifolds will no longer work either.

So if someone was going to make a custom intake for the 3100/3400 engine they would probably have to make both the upper and lower sections to allow for the use of a conventional distributor.

JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2005 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
The things that go BUMP in the night =D

Any news on cars that have had this installed? any noticeable seat of the pants difference? I wanna know!

------------------
96k Miles, 2nd owner

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2005 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JamesCurtis:

The things that go BUMP in the night =D

Any news on cars that have had this installed? any noticeable seat of the pants difference? I wanna know!

I was told several days ago that mine could ship as early as tomorrow. I'll pass along "azz-o-meter" readings as soon as I can. Will probably be a while until I can get it dynoed, though.

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe...........

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

Read Nealz Nuze!

Dan010

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2005 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan010Send a Private Message to Dan010Direct Link to This Post
Intake is installed !!!!
Very nice !!!
Used the installation instructions and all went well.
This is on my 86gt, 95 rebuilt 3.4 Camaro engine. Camaro 17# injectors,
Headers w/Borla exhaust. Stock Automatic. Stock tires.
Note,my TV cable was not adjusted correctly.
I do not race it, but my impressions, (only after driving it about 20 miles)
From dead stop, broke the tires loose more than before !!!
Rev' d nicely up to 5000rpm. (then I let off)
Crusing, much better pickup, even with out hitting passing gear.(thought I was in passing gear).
All around, seems to run smoother.
For me, a very nice addition
Thank You Troy !!!

[This message has been edited by Dan010 (edited 01-24-2005).]

JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2005 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
wow, we need more stories! keep em' comin
watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2005 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
And some "installed" picture(s) would be a nice bonus too!
PFF
System Bot
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2005 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
Dan was that the short or long runner?
Dan010

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2005 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan010Send a Private Message to Dan010Direct Link to This Post
It is the long runner intake.
richfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2005 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for richfieroSend a Private Message to richfieroDirect Link to This Post
Bumpbidy bump

Any one else get one of these? Was there just a little diffrence or a big diffrence. Would you buy it again if you could go back in time?

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2005 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Checking the front porch about every three hours...

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2005 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the coments Dan, and when you get your chip, it'll will be even better.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2005 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Alley-Oop!
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2005 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
I will be getting some money for selling my bike, soon. So I will be able to get one of the intakes fairly shortly! Yay!

Steve

(Edit: I am curious, Troy, how this will perform with a turbocharger... which intake would be the better choice? I am leaning towards the short runner, but if you feel the longer runners would be better, let me know. I should be running around 15 psi by summer... Thanks!)

[This message has been edited by The Funkmaster (edited 01-28-2005).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2005 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
If we have enough time to do all the dyno runs on the 9th, we'll get some in on my 2.8 with the turbo online turbo. BTW: when you order one, make sure you tell us that you'll be running a turbo.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock