Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  hi-flo manifold update (Page 21)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 
Previous Page | Next Page
hi-flo manifold update by Francis T
Started on: 05-27-2004 03:16 PM
Replies: 1156
Last post by: Francis T on 07-09-2009 05:47 PM
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
You guys will love them when frank posts' his pictures of them...

as long as he can keep them afordable, im sure he'll have a TON of orders.

matthew
IP: Logged
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
They are for the most part only tach welded and I dont want to post pictures with them like that. I'll be taking them off the car in the morning and hopefuly Troy can them up Friday night. And then I'll take pictures.
I was going to do that today but I had bolt snap yesterday afternoon while using my breaker bar something else and yes, I let it the dang handle hit me right on rib F**&^^** hurt, and thus I was in too much pain to much of anything today. I should feel a lot better Friday. It is such fun working on older cars! If the amount of blood you shead and number lumps you get while working on cars relates to how well the project comes out, my 87GT will be awesume.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2006 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by m0sh_man:

You guys will love them when frank posts' his pictures of them...

I must agree.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Here they are!

And one extra of Francis' turbo install, with the newest short runner intake, with black powdercoat.

Nice work!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-19-2006).]

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Raydar for putting the pictures up. Troy should post the specs and pricing tonight or Sunday. And that long runner intake is for sale, it was an early design that I used to see what would be involved for those customers that wanted us to update their intakes to newer smooth TB-to-plenium type, thus it dont have any velocity stacks inside but will still out flow even a modified stock intake by a lot. If anyone's interested we're selling it for $300. I'll take a few pictures of the headers off the engine and put them up on our site. And yes, I still have to tidy-up my engine compartment, but i sure like the intake and valve covers in that high gloss black powder coat.
88White3.4GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
WOW, these look awesome. How loud are they?? what hp gains do you expect with the intake manifold and headers?

------------------

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Teriffic! They look great! Nice job, once again. -Jason
p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
Im still amazed that you guys spent the time and money to build not only a decent intake, but a decent set of headers.

I propose the forum sets up a collection to help these guys put a stock 2.8 on the dyno, then swap on the intake, and run it, then the headers, and run it then both and run it. a good 4 hours at the dyno shop atleast, and I cant expect them to do all the work and pay for that as well. I hope the fiero community will support the little aftremarket support we have.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
those are sweet and look functional ( equal length primary) How much for the setup?
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2006 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Ok, $475.00 for both headers and the Y pipe with EGR mount and high temp (not ceramic) black paint. That will also include two standoffs to facilate coil mounting change, and the 2 gaskets for the flanges between the headers and Y pipes. We will also offer, a larger down pipe for those with custom exhaust at an additional charge and you can also opt for a 2nd bong if you need a take-off an exhaust gas temp gauge or wideband. We'll have the pricing and specs on the options up on our site in maybe a few days.

We havent yet come to firm price for a combo package, IE headers, Y pipe, intake and chip. Hopefully we can do it all three for under $1k. That would be one awesumely cost effective price for the power gained and effort required, not to mention the driveablity improvement with all those new and useable RPMs. Best of all these days, it will likey give you better gas milage as the engine wont go rich above 4.5k.
PFF
System Bot
fieroman22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman22Send a Private Message to fieroman22Direct Link to This Post
heres my trueleo pic
WisconsinGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WisconsinGTSend a Private Message to WisconsinGTDirect Link to This Post
Looks great!!! Can I ask one question about the headers and Y pipe...Are you going to smooth out the welds? Thanks!
squisher86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEDirect Link to This Post

On your chips, will you offer an EGR delete in the code for those of us that would rather not have that piece of equipment working?

And anyone else, what about current notchback fitment issues on the short runner intake?

I want I want I want!
kwagner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post

Excellent work! Can't wait to order my package
Any sound clips of them?
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Ok in order, First question; we will not grind the welds off even if you want to pay more to have it done. Doing such could weaken the joints especially on something that gets hot like headers.
Second: I dont know if Troy sets anything for non-EGRs, maybe so since half our orders are that way. I'd have to ask him, he's the chip guy.
Also: I dont recal if I mentioned this, but I found that with a little cutting and drilling you can use most of the stcok heat shielding for the Y pipe and EGR.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Francis T

6620 posts
Member since Oct 2003
Almost forgot, on the notches and fit, from what we've heard it can require sme grinding or none. Haven't had any one want to return an intake because they could not get it to fit a notchie, so I guess it's that big a deal.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
What size are the pipes you are using to the collectors and down? Is the down pipe 2.5" as mentioned before?

Also, nice looking headers. Very nice indeed.

Arn
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
The runners are 1.5" and the down pipe s 2". We will offer an optional 2.5" and perhaps other size down pipes for and additional charge and will supply the flanges.

BTW: Our runner flanges are thick so as to allow for a nice taper inside and thus if you want to open up your heads you can and then just open up our flanges to match.
achbaby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achbabySend a Private Message to achbabyDirect Link to This Post
Nice headers!!!!!! What all has to be relocated for them to install? I seen something about the canister being mounted vertically. What else? Would u say its gonna be alot harder to install them then putting on the stock manifolds? thx jay
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by achbaby:

Nice headers!!!!!! What all has to be relocated for them to install? I seen something about the canister being mounted vertically. What else? Would u say its gonna be alot harder to install them then putting on the stock manifolds? thx jay

Yes, if you have cruse control you will need to move the coffee can from the right side of the unit to the left and put it vertical, pleanty of room and basically a no-brainer. Your ignition needs to be turned around and then placed on the standoffs we will provide and attached to same holes as before. The 2 wirw cable from the distributor to the coil needs to be extended about 3 or 4 inches, again no big deal. You will also want to tie wrap a few cables and such away from the Y pipe. Once you get the headers on you'll see what has to be moved a little. And lastly, if you want to retain the heat shielding for Y pipe you will need to drill a hole or two out larger and make a few cuts. I'll post some pictures for those that need to see how to it when I get mine installed in my 87. That wont be for a bit as I want to clean up the engine compart ment before I put the headers and one of our intakes in that car. I'll also show you the mod I have planed for my air filter box. The hardest thing about the install in my opinion will taking off the old headers! Oh, and that round heat shield from the stock headers is now useless.
PFF
System Bot
DandRauto

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DandRautoSend a Private Message to DandRautoDirect Link to This Post
do the new headers fit both the stick and automatic trans?

They look nice
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Dont know about the auto trans, We used a stock Y pipe form I think and 86 with 4spd to setup our jigs and then put a Y pipe form my 87 5spd amd fitted them on the 87 car its self. The down pipe lenght is about 2" dif between the two so we compromised and it should fit either setup. It fits my 87 nicely. If you can get your hands on a Y pipe from and auto car and one from a stick you can compare them.
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
How much would it cost to get the exhaust setup and that old long runner intake as a combo?
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
We would like to hear from those notchie folks that have our intakes. Raydar says he had a problem with it clearing the hood on his notchie and I beleive him. If anyone else has had simular problems we would like to know so we can address it for these cars. Also our latest intakes, with only one seam on the neck have had the plemium shifed 1/2" to allow for said mod and thus may fix or worsen the problem? A picture of where and how much of it hits would be great. I dont know how many we sold to notchie guys sunce most dont tell us what roof they have, but I'm sure it's been a bunch. So about it guys, can someone send us a picture or two?

Oh, and Maduxd, check your PMs.
achbaby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achbabySend a Private Message to achbabyDirect Link to This Post
Do u offer the set up in raw steel...not painted. I was thinking of getting them JetHot coated if i got them.

[This message has been edited by achbaby (edited 08-22-2006).]

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
We can send them that way. BTW: The intakes are coated but not ceramic. Only thing with raw steel, if they get damp durning shipping you may have to steel wool or wire bush them as raw steel will get a thin coat of rust on it in nothing flat if gets damp. Like overnight!
GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
you could throw a qucik spray of WD40 on the raw steel then wrap them in a trash bag when you ship them to help prevent flash rust

where were you last year when i spent $600 on a pair of sprint headers ?!

------------------

Fiero- mild 2.9 160hp
Caprice- wild 383 500hp
--Adam-- ASE Certified Technician
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

achbaby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achbabySend a Private Message to achbabyDirect Link to This Post
Does the JetHot Coat actually lower the underhood temps.? Does it come with all the hardware and gaskets? thx jay
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
When applied inside and out it works best. I think its good to ceramic coat headers, just costly! I did discover the hard way, that if rain water finds its' way to your hot headers, the ceramic can blister. Not sure if that always happens, but it did it to set I made a while ago, before I put a drain for the engine lid in.

One odd note on that issue; I have a very modified Fait spider (even has an Elecromotive coil sytem on it) that I put headers on. I heat wraped them and then to help keep the heat wrap dry, I wrapped them with the heavy aluminium foil-like stuff they use to cover hot pipes. Dont look all that great or that bad either, but it seems to be working and has been on them for more than 2 years. They seem to stay cooler too.
achbaby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achbabySend a Private Message to achbabyDirect Link to This Post
One other quick question before i call it a night. My 2.8 is pretty much stock for now except for the power pulley, ocelot 2 inch exhaust, and the bigger bore TB and i had the plenum done as well as all middle and lower intake. Someone told me if i put headers on it would up the HP, but lower the torque. Is this true? thx for ur help as always..jay
PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
If you compare equal lenght to say Tri-Y headers, the tri's often have a better torque curve while the equals have a higher but not as wide powerband. Until I see it on a dyno, I find it hard to beleive that the very restrictive stock headers would provide a better bottom end. Especially enough so that one could feel it in the seat-o-ones-pants. Others have said that our intakes would the same thing to torque, but the dyno chats provid otherwise.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Francis T

6620 posts
Member since Oct 2003
OK, one last item before I hit the sack. Thanks to Raydar, we now have a fix for the notchies and our intakes. His photo clearly showed what we need to change. We just need to know when you by an intake if it's going on a fastback or not.
achbaby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2006 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achbabySend a Private Message to achbabyDirect Link to This Post
Any ideas on the hp and torque gains with this header set up? Estimates? Do u plan on running a dyno in the future? Just wondering. As i am interested and my 2.8 is pretty much stock except for a KN filter, 2inch ocelot exhaust, power pulley, D.Morse bigger TB and plenum, upgraded injectors, and a custom chip(which never knew if that helped or not?) Let me know if u have any ideas. thx jay
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2006 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Hey Francis, any pics for me available at the moment? Just hoping I could pick one of those manifolds soon, I gots some cash for you now
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2006 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
couple of questions.

Did anyone verify that on a 3.4 or a 2.8 this will fit under a GT trunk/hood?

does the stock throttle body fit? how about the bored throttle body from the fiero store?

do you have chips for both a 2.8 and a 3.4?

thanks!
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2006 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
YEs it fits the GTs and will fit a notchie, just let us know if it's going on a notchie and we'll modifiy it. Any TB that will bolt up to the bolt pattern will work, such as DM bored out unit. The car that we did the dyno runs on was GT with a 3.4 and a bored out TB.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2006 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Francis T

6620 posts
Member since Oct 2003
Almost forgot, tell us which engine and what mods you have when you order and we'll burn a chip to match,
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2006 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump for those that might not have been on in a while.
Snowcrash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnowcrashSend a Private Message to SnowcrashDirect Link to This Post
I understand there is a j-body throttle body that can also be used. I assume this requires a diffrent flange on the intake? What are the specifics on this throttle body?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock