Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  hi-flo manifold update (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 
Previous Page | Next Page
hi-flo manifold update by Francis T
Started on: 05-27-2004 03:16 PM
Replies: 1156
Last post by: Francis T on 07-09-2009 05:47 PM
mize

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mizeClick Here to visit mize's HomePageSend a Private Message to mizeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:

We'd like thank most everyone else for hanging in there and waiting.

Waiting is not a problem since what you're developing is going to be such an important component.

Thanks for your efforts. I will be ready to buy as soon as it's ready!!

IP: Logged
RTNmsds

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RTNmsdsClick Here to visit RTNmsds's HomePageSend a Private Message to RTNmsdsDirect Link to This Post

It's one of those ' because I can' things....

'nuff said

Back to topic... 2 pieces

Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
The flanges we did get look great, were supposed to get the last of them today, but no luck. My son asked me to post the following, oh and please only answer if you're sure you are right.

"go onto the fiero board and ask them the bolt sizes for the throttle body and egr. The sizes I have 5/16 x 20 thread and 1/4 x 24 thread seem like odd sizes. They may actually be metric and I need to know before order."

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post07-14-2004 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
From the 22P: The throttle body bolts are M8x1.25x55mm, the EGR bolts are M6x1.0x20mm.

JazzMan

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2004 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Just a little update (tease) to let you know we're still alive. We determined the max hight we have for the manifold and thus far everything seems to be working out real good. No pics yet. It's going to be awsume.
Spyhunter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2004 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyhunterSend a Private Message to SpyhunterDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for keepin us in the loop!
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2004 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
well, you should be able to make the manifold upto 2.75" taller than the stock manifold

that custom manifold on my car has a 2.75" riser on it, and it just fits under the hood(decklid) and everything seems alright.

matthew

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2004 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

"Excellent Smithers......Excellent"

Keep up the good work!

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2004 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
Ugh Says "Build Manifold... make work.... MAKE HORSEPOWER!!!!"
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2004 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
yeah that's about what we came up with. I made a tellescopic device, but it on top of the stock manifold and closed the hood, presto, we had the exact clearence.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2004 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Please don't forget that the engine rocks back and forth under changing load... Would be unfortunate if you designed a manifold that damaged decklids unless it was used on a solid mounted engine.

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Low, Sleek, Fast, and Loud
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: None of the Above

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2004 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
We left some room for that
Quickster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2004 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuicksterSend a Private Message to QuicksterDirect Link to This Post
Whoa! Just tuned in to this topic! I'd love to see a "new" manifold design. Put me down for definately interested!!
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2004 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Ok everybody, the long long awaited flanges are now in our hands, yeah! They look real good (they were CNC) and we can now start on the prototype, jigs and so forth. We'll post pics as soon as we have something close enough to show. Thus far, it's looking awsume and will likely flow as good as it looks. We'll keep ya posted................
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2004 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
ooooo aaaaah... *waits while drooling* don't rush it francis! we all know what happens when production is rushed, it may look good, but won't hold true to time! Gus fraba
Jim Baumann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2004 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim BaumannSend a Private Message to Jim BaumannDirect Link to This Post
Vote me in as Very Interested. Style doesn't matter, 1 or 2 which ever gives better performance.
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2004 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
Any great updates francis? crude pictures etc.?

James

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2004 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
sorry people, nothing new yet. We don't want to post any pics etc, untill we're sure we have something close to the finial product since some people tend to never forget certain things they see on the net: so if we show you guys something now and then have to change it, we'll get lots of "that's not what you said it would look like" etc etc. I'll say this, I can't wait to one on my engine!
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2004 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

I'll say this, I can't wait to have one on my engine!

I think some of us feel the same way! Maybe you could post the build up pics after you decide on a final design. Thanks for letting us know.

Quickster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2004 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuicksterSend a Private Message to QuicksterDirect Link to This Post
Attempting to be patiently waiting!!
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2004 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
We're really not tryng to be di*&k heads about the thing, just don't want to commit just yet to a spcific configuration. And there's also some things we want to keep propritary with respect to just how we'll do what others either could not or more likely didn't bother to do.
PFF
System Bot
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2004 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Hey Francis, how are things going? Just another bump so this dosen't get lost.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2004 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
We've been busy making and redoing jigs. We want to get the prototype jigs perfect so we don't have to build yet another set for production. Thus far, we're everything seems to be going as planned. And we've placed orders for more items, such as bolts etc. No pics yet.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2004 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Francis T

6620 posts
Member since Oct 2003
We've been busy making and redoing jigs. We want to get the prototype jigs perfect so we don't have to build yet another set for production. Thus far, everything seems to be going as planned. And we've placed orders for more items, such as bolts etc. No pics yet.
TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2004 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post

No pics yet.

PLEASE.... ill give you a plus

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk www.XoticRydz.tk

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2004 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
sounds interesting
donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2004 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
TTT

------------------

http://www.gmpcm.com/

VortechGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VortechGTClick Here to visit VortechGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to VortechGTDirect Link to This Post
Add me to the interested in buying list
Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2004 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
Ok add me too. Been watching this thread for a month...I give up.

My HO 3.1 Stroker is in need of better breathing.

Just make it look good as well as functional and let us know how it flows over the stock intake.

ED Beard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2004 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ED BeardSend a Private Message to ED BeardDirect Link to This Post
I've been going through this posting and I don't think that this has been answered, but I have to smog my cars every two years. Do you have any idea if this will go past the smog guys or will I have to r&r when it is smog time??

------------------
fasteddie_91932

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2004 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
It may not, in California, if i doesn't have the appropriate CARB exemptions.
Since this seems to be a rather small operation, I don't suspect that will happen, but I could be wrong.

Not to say that it wouldn't pass the sniffer test. With proper tuning, there's really no reason that it shouldn't, as long as the original emissions stuff (EGR, etc.) remains functional.

I suppose it depends upon the visual inspection. If you can paint it orange and convince the referee that it's stock, you might sneak by.

Hopefully, someone who is familiar with the rules will chime in.
Terry?

PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2004 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Never had to deal with Cal smog regs, but it will have all the connections and mounting points for EGR etc. The new manfold will be as near to a stock replacement (aside from the flow and looks) unit as we can get it. That's one of the reasons it's taking this long, if were for race only, we would be ready to ship.
m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2004 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
so how soon will i need to file for a couple days off work?

matthew

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2004 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ED Beard:

I've been going through this posting and I don't think that this has been answered, but I have to smog my cars every two years. Do you have any idea if this will go past the smog guys or will I have to r&r when it is smog time??

Francis shouldn't waste his time trying to make it CA smog legal. He doesn't own Edelbrock or something, so hes not going to be making thousands of units. The amount of red tape, ridiculous forms, and hoops you have to deal with to make an aftermarket part Smog Legal in CA is absurd to say the least.

Your best bets are:
-Paint it to look stock and try to find a cool smog ref who'll be lenient when doing the visual inspection. Present your full case and show him that all the smog equipment is there. Wouldn't hurt to say a prayer the night before, too. Word is, there are still a few places around that will pass you if you slip em a few bucks, but the fines if they get caught are so high now that most won't.

-Keep all the stock intake parts and just pull the Francis manifold off and put the stock one back on every 2 years. Thats what I'm planning on. Its only a few hours work tops to pull one intake and put the other on. Then do it again once its passed smog and put the Francis manifold back on.

gumert

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2004 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gumertSend a Private Message to gumertDirect Link to This Post
Another person to add to the list of people interested: me. I remember that you wanted something more than our PFF alais. Here's two e-mails of mine: d_gumpert@yahoo.com and gumert@segonline.net I check the second more often than the yahoo account.
Damien

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2004 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamienSend a Private Message to DamienDirect Link to This Post
Phew! Glad I found the thread again. Put me down for one... considering a 3.4L swap for this winter

-Tim

m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
hopefully testing of this intake will go quite well, francis contacted me because i had a donor motor for him to use for the fitting of the intake system. Hopefully when its completed we can take two of my cars up to his shop and have tested with the intake, I have a bone stock 2.8L with only ported manifolds (exhaust) otherwise its stock minus a catalytic converter, but we can dyno test it before and after the intake, now, if it were up to me, id drive my 87GT 3.4L down and have it tested with the new intake, currently it has a bored throttlebody and plenum, ported manifolds, crane ignition box and k&n filter with a modified y-pipe and 2.5" exhaust.

If dyno time didnt cost so much damn money id love to take both fiero's down and test them both, ofcourse i do have a 3rd fiero, a 88 coupe 3.4L pushrod 4 speed, with Nothing but ported exhaust manifolds, otherwise its a stock 3.4L with all fiero accessories including the stock fiero muffler.
i feel that people with 3.1L-3.4L v6's will gain from this the most, if this intake is designed as well as i know it can be, id expect my 130 wheel HP to increase to well over 160 wheel HP, and my 180ft/lbs +/- to increase possibly over 200ft/lbs

matthew

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
We 3.4 people can only hope, m0sh!
hoola47

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hoola47Send a Private Message to hoola47Direct Link to This Post
I am still interested in this and hope the intake turns out well, however, SUMMERS ALMOST DONE for us Canadians.
Has there been any idea on cost of this intake? I know it all depends on how many are sold to cut production costs and so forth, but really, are we talking 100 US, 500 US, + - ?
Lastly I'd like to see a turbo car dyno tested Francis, due to the fact that now, hopefully, us MPFI guys will have an intake that breaths as well or better than a carb that can also be turboed much easier.
If you thought what I contributed was helpful in any way, please give me my rating bar

------------------
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
Auto, soon to be 5 spd Getrag from 88 z24, Best 1/4 = 16.1 at 83mph, mods, wires, CRX intake, and power pulley. Planning Turbo 2.8 swap for a little more umph!!!!

Bought for 2500$ Canadian.

m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
well, francis has a turbo v6 car, im sure he may modify one for his own personal car

i think he was trying to keep cost's around $500, but dont quote me on that.

im sure he has alot of money tied up in it now.

matthew

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock