Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  The official Fox Valley Fieros forum thread come join us here in central Wisconsin!!! (Page 28)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 58 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The official Fox Valley Fieros forum thread come join us here in central Wisconsin!!! by jetsnvettes2000
Started on: 07-23-2010 08:47 PM
Replies: 2311 (31160 views)
Last post by: av8fiero on 04-18-2017 06:55 PM
86fierofun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bring them along! It's fun for the whole family! I know you wouldn't be able to bring the Fiero then, but I won't have one either
IP: Logged
Celthora87GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Celthora87GTSend a Private Message to Celthora87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little off topic but was anyone looking at the 3800 series one for sale in racine with the 5 speed getrag?before I bought it some people I guess were extatic about it it was in a red 85 nochie with a black spoiler. Just wondering if anyone was trying to snag it
Josh

------------------
1987 Black GT Custom interior with Mr. Mikes seats soon

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86soon3.4:

Mine runs a little rich. Smells like rotten eggs when driving.

Steve

Hmm

There's an app for that. We should talk sometime.

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:
Do either of you have drivability issues?

I didn't think I did, but maybe I've been discounting some driveability issues as being "normal" when I shouldn't. As I think about your question a bit more, two issues I've previously dismissed as "normal" or "expected" come to mind:
  1. If I've driven the car for awhile when it's uncomfortably hot and humid outside (say, > 900F with a dewpoint of > 600F), I've noticed my 3.4L Fiero can be difficult to restart and get underway again without it stalling.

2. If I've the cruise control on at street speeds, my Fiero's 3.4L engine's RPM seems to try to "hunt" for, but never quite achieve, a constant RPM, even when the street itself is perfectly level.
I don't remember experiencing either of those issues with my 2.8L, but my recollection could be faulty because I've had the 3.4L in my year-round, daily driver Fiero now for about the past 4-1/2 years.

In any case, whether or not the issues I've experienced with my 3.4L Fiero should be regarded as "normal" or "expected," my interest in a -7730 swap actually stems from the glowingly favorable things I've heard about them, like, for example, that a -7730 swap can help make a 3.4L Fiero "drive like a new car." If true, that would be great!
86soon3.4

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Hmm

There's an app for that. We should talk sometime.

p.m. sent

Steve
TheRealShadowX

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2011 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are we having a get together cruise tomorrow? What's up?

------------------
(TRSX) The Zombiero - "Thrice resurrected"
1985 GT, 4 Speed Muncie, 3.4PR V6, 15" Lace GT wheels, Power everything, sunroof, Red with gray effects. Driven and enjoyed daily.

Fiero GT- 2 seater, mid engine, rear wheel drive, H.O. V6, manual rack and pinion steering, fully independent suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, no ABS, no traction control, no speed limiter, available T-Tops. So, outdated econo-box or classic sports car? You decide.

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys I need a left rear brake caliper like yesterday! mine is fried, so much so my rotor was glowing red and the rim and tire got hot enuf to melt the valve stem now its outside hissin away going flat! grrrrrrrrrrrr im ready to shoot the thing!
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheRealShadowX:
Are we having a get together cruise tomorrow? What's up?

Until after our excessive heat and humidity breaks, I'll pass on that. Excessive heat and humidity is the one weather condition my 3.4L swap may dislike as much as I do because after it has first been driven then, it can be difficult to restart and run at low speed without stalling.
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So no cruise today then?
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So no cruise today then?

My car has risen the white flag, it does not want to go anymore. After throwin a grand am brake upgrade on it for a temp fix it still does not want to release the left rear caliper so I must have some issue in the line inbetween the divider bock on the right side and the left rear caliper. grrrr too hot to finish fixing I will still need to replace the fiero calipers tho I dont like the idea of using the grand am front brakes for verry long since they arent even legal technically to use on the back of a car and make the brake bias way off.

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 07-17-2011).]

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So no cruise today then?

Realistically, no, I don't see that happening.

Right now in Menasha we've an air temperature of 930 and a heat index (or "feels like") temperature of 1060 because of an equatorial-like dew point of 760.

Much of Wisconsin currently is under an "Extreme Heat Warning" extending through the first half of Wednesday.

That may not include your home area because of your greater proximity to Lake Michigan.

Consider yourself lucky.
PFF
System Bot
Godzilla

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodzillaSend a Private Message to GodzillaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah its hella hot down here. i started to get heat sick after about a hr and a half of working on my truck. its just brutal out rite now
*melting*
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well that's a bummer. But honestly it worked out for the best. I didn't really have the cash for the drive up there but I was gonna make it work. It's alright. Next time guys!!!

------------------
(TRSX) The Zombiero - "Thrice resurrected"
1985 GT, 4 Speed Muncie, 3.4PR V6, 15" Lace GT wheels, Power everything, sunroof, Red with gray effects. Driven and enjoyed daily.

Fiero GT- 2 seater, mid engine, rear wheel drive, H.O. V6, manual rack and pinion steering, fully independent suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, no ABS, no traction control, no speed limiter, available T-Tops. So, outdated econo-box or classic sports car? You decide.

86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need some guidance, so I want to see what you guys think. Many of you probably know I'm not driving my Fiero right now. It has over 210,000 miles, The throwout bearing is bad to the point where the clutch doesn't work at all (and it makes a HORRIBLE noise). The upper frame rails are completely gone, rusted away. Now this was my second car, but my first car for any period of time. First car was also a fiero, but it didn't last long (RIP). I have a lot of sentimental attachment to this car. I also own three other cars, a '79 datsun pickup w/76k original miles that runs and i'm trying to sell ($2500), a '98 jag which is under surgery in my only garage space, and needs more parts ($$$), and an '04 marquis that's my daily driver. The truck and fiero are at my parents place. They have now told me they have to go, like now.

I can find temporary space for the truck at my place until it sells. Not too big of a deal.

But the Fiero....

Should I pay to have it towed somewhere to get repaired, or say good bye altogether, have the car scrapped, and give away my relatively large stockpile of parts? Money is tight right now....
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetsnvettes2000:

My car has risen the white flag, it does not want to go anymore. After throwin a grand am brake upgrade on it for a temp fix it still does not want to release the left rear caliper so I must have some issue in the line inbetween the divider bock on the right side and the left rear caliper. grrrr too hot to finish fixing I will still need to replace the fiero calipers tho I dont like the idea of using the grand am front brakes for verry long since they arent even legal technically to use on the back of a car and make the brake bias way off.

You sure that the brake hose isn't collapsed inside? I've seen it more than once on an older vehicle with the exact symptoms....

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fierofun:

I need some guidance, so I want to see what you guys think. Many of you probably know I'm not driving my Fiero right now. It has over 210,000 miles, The throwout bearing is bad to the point where the clutch doesn't work at all (and it makes a HORRIBLE noise). The upper frame rails are completely gone, rusted away. Now this was my second car, but my first car for any period of time. First car was also a fiero, but it didn't last long (RIP). I have a lot of sentimental attachment to this car. I also own three other cars, a '79 datsun pickup w/76k original miles that runs and i'm trying to sell ($2500), a '98 jag which is under surgery in my only garage space, and needs more parts ($$$), and an '04 marquis that's my daily driver. The truck and fiero are at my parents place. They have now told me they have to go, like now.

I can find temporary space for the truck at my place until it sells. Not too big of a deal.

But the Fiero....

Should I pay to have it towed somewhere to get repaired, or say good bye altogether, have the car scrapped, and give away my relatively large stockpile of parts? Money is tight right now....

Tommy if u can get the fiero to me I can make some majic happen to it those pesky frame rails will become whole again in a weekend and the throwout bearing no sweat! we can fix that when we stuff the new cradle under it. What parts do u got Im cheap bribe me!

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jetsnvettes2000

3311 posts
Member since Dec 2009
who wants to help???

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jetsnvettes2000

3311 posts
Member since Dec 2009

Originally posted by Firefox:

You sure that the brake hose isn't collapsed inside? I've seen it more than once on an older vehicle with the exact symptoms....

yep I think that was it, I fried the caliper totally so i did a grand am upgrade till i can afford to fix it fiero calipers
86soon3.4

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tommy if u can get the fiero to me I can make some majic happen to it those pesky frame rails will become whole again in a weekend and the throwout bearing no sweat! we can fix that when we stuff the new cradle under it. What parts do u got Im cheap bribe me!

I think I have some good rails Jets cut out of a car I scrapped.

Steve
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86soon3.4:

I think I have some good rails Jets cut out of a car I scrapped.

Steve

ooo ya forgot about those they would work alot better than trying to fab up some!
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You fix rusted frame rails?! Why wasn't I told?! PM me a price man! It's only one side that needs to be replaced. The other side might need some touch up.

Oh and PM me a REAL price. Not a "club price". Lol, give me a price that you will make money on. I want to start giving back to the club some more. There is a thread on here with some peek shots of the damage. I will find the thread and post it here. It would be a few months before I have anything done but it would be nice to know now, ya know?

Edit: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/085074.html

^^^ Link ^^^

[This message has been edited by TheRealShadowX (edited 07-17-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks like I got a hook up for the clutch work with gtxbullet over in Pewaukee. Once that is done, I would love to take the Fiero up north to visit you guys and get some new rails! And yes, new cradle That is a must have or I'm afraid the engine will fall out. In a week or two I'll have it carted over to Pewaukee, and then the next weekend bring it up north? I'm starting to squirrel some money aside, so I can compensate for the trouble.
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

86fierofun

3650 posts
Member since Aug 2004

ooo ya forgot about those they would work alot better than trying to fab up some!

Either way. I think it might be fun fabbing some up. See this thread: //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-2-068409.html
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Either way. I think it might be fun fabbing some up. See this thread: //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-2-068409.html

If you want to make them we can do that no problem. but if we have a like new set ready to go well.... lol
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jetsnvettes2000

3311 posts
Member since Dec 2009

You fix rusted frame rails?! Why wasn't I told?! PM me a price man! It's only one side that needs to be replaced. The other side might need some touch up.

Oh and PM me a REAL price. Not a "club price". Lol, give me a price that you will make money on. I want to start giving back to the club some more. There is a thread on here with some peek shots of the damage. I will find the thread and post it here. It would be a few months before I have anything done but it would be nice to know now, ya know?

Edit: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/085074.html

^^^ Link ^^^

Ive seen your rails ya they look like swiss cheese just bring it up and ill teach you how to fix it I know your broke like the rest of us so just bring a 12 pack of soda with ya and some sheet metal and we can fix it!
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jetsnvettes2000

3311 posts
Member since Dec 2009
All this frame rail rot has given me an idea, lets fix all the rails in one shot as as club project and get together. I think if we all got together we could knock out two or three cars in two days. There is no a whole lot to the rails I think with a few of us workin we could get it done in a snap and my driveway has plenty of room for a few extra cars!

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 07-18-2011).]

TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time and place?
Ramsespride

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have any info on these Fieros? I met a guy that wants me to find him one, help him fix it and in turn he wants to pay me with his mid point project 68 Cutlass Supreme.
My guess is he wants it to be running and ready to have the body cut apart and some kit be put on it later on (could be a parts gold mine if these are worth it)

http://appleton.craigslist.org/bar/2497012697.html
http://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/2498277634.html

Godzilla

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodzillaSend a Private Message to GodzillaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

All this frame rail rot has given me an idea, lets fix all the rails in one shot as as club project and get together. I think if we all got together we could knock out two or three cars in two days. There is no a whole lot to the rails I think with a few of us workin we could get it done in a snap and my driveway has plenty of room for a few extra cars!

that sounds like it could be fun.
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ramsespride:

Anyone have any info on these Fieros? I met a guy that wants me to find him one, help him fix it and in turn he wants to pay me with his mid point project 68 Cutlass Supreme.
My guess is he wants it to be running and ready to have the body cut apart and some kit be put on it later on (could be a parts gold mine if these are worth it)

I know nothing about them, but I like the color on that second one!
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

86fierofun

3650 posts
Member since Aug 2004

Time and place?

How about August 6th-7th?
PFF
System Bot
Foxy Fiero13

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have a family event that weekend!!! and i wanna drive my blue fiero soon!!!!!! i wish it would fix its self!!!
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How about August 6th-7th?

workd for me plus their is a car show at sabre lanes by my house
av8fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ramsespride:

The one in Oshkosh isn't far from me. It's on Elmwood north of Congress. It's rough needs paint and tires at least. It's been sitting there for awhile, at least I haven't seen it moved in quite some time. The tires are/were flat for quite some time

snowblindburd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snowblindburdSend a Private Message to snowblindburdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So guys, what kind of mess am I going to get myself into trying to replace an oil pump in an 88 duke?

I checked out the service manual and it doesn't seem too terrible, but I definitely do not have the experience to trust myself doing it. I'd be a bit more confident if it was my own car.

Also, is there any way to syphon the gas out of a Fiero? I tried and it seemed to get caught up partway though. The gas tank is leaking as well and I do not have the means currently to get at it. Its almost full and I'd like to not see it piss it all away lol.

Thanks for any advice.

Also.. Anyone going to the Tyler Shipman show?

------------------

1990 Pontiac Sunbird /// 1995 Beretta Base /// betty progress

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by snowblindburd:

So guys, what kind of mess am I going to get myself into trying to replace an oil pump in an 88 duke?

I checked out the service manual and it doesn't seem too terrible, but I definitely do not have the experience to trust myself doing it. I'd be a bit more confident if it was my own car.

Also, is there any way to syphon the gas out of a Fiero? I tried and it seemed to get caught up partway though. The gas tank is leaking as well and I do not have the means currently to get at it. Its almost full and I'd like to not see it piss it all away lol.

Thanks for any advice.

Also.. Anyone going to the Tyler Shipman show?

OIl pumps are verry easy to replace but one thing to keep in mind is the pickup tube, most new pumps dont come with one on it so u will need the old one and have to set the depth of it. Then u need to press it into the pump and if u have access to a tig welder i highly reccomend puttin a tack weld on it between it and the new pump so it cant come loose.

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 07-18-2011).]

snowblindburd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for snowblindburdSend a Private Message to snowblindburdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah, I don't have access to one that I can think of. Good to know that it shouldn't be too bad though.

------------------

Godzilla

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GodzillaSend a Private Message to GodzillaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
aug 6th-7th just mite work for me
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by snowblindburd:

In some cases, people don't need a new oil pump, but a new oil pressure sending unit.

You already may be well aware of this, snowblindburd, but many aren't, so I'll mention it here for their benefit: The oil pressure sending unit on Fieros, which basically sends information to a Fiero's oil pressure gauge, is a common failure point in Fieros.

When the oil pressure sending unit fails, the needle on a Fiero's oil pressure gauge can fluctuate back and forth very wildly and very quickly. I found it quite the sight to behold when it first happened to me. Essentially, the oil pressure gauge's wild fluctuations suggest one's Fiero very soon is about to blow up into nothingness both itself and its driver, and that a reasonably prudent course of action would be to jump out of one's Fiero --- even while it's still moving --- and to start screaming, "Incoming!"

Although a Fiero's oil pressure gauge may suggest otherwise, such histrionics, or a new oil pump under those circumstances, often just aren't necessary, and for good reason: Unlike some other fluids, engine oil is a fairly viscous (or "sticky") fluid. Accordingly, the wild and quickly fluctuating readings suggested by a factory Fiero oil pressure gauge rendered erroneous by a failed oil pressure sending unit purport to be measuring something that physically can't happen. At first glance, those wildly fluctuating oil pressure readings can be very scary, but they're more likely erroneously indicative of something that is physically impossible with motor oil. The motor oil in one's Fiero engine is incapable of actually switching its pressure back and forth between, for example, 20 and 80 PSI, and multiple times within fractions of a second --- despite what a Fiero's factory oil pressure gauge readings might say.

Again, snowblindburd, you already may be well aware of this (and for all I know, maybe Duke-equipped Fieros like yours don't have factory oil pressure gauges to go awry in their readings). Accordingly, I mention this common problem with some Fieros' oil pressure sending units for the benefit of others whose Fieros' alarming oil pressure gauge readings often are attributable not to a faulty oil pump, but either to...
  • An oil pressure sending unit which has failed, OR
  • An oil pressure sending unit which is about to.
snowblindburd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snowblindburdSend a Private Message to snowblindburdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is my room mates car, which indeed has the gauge. The oil pressure dropped as she was driving down the highway and as she pulled over the engine started making interesting noises. I've not yet heard it for myself but it did not sound good from her description, available here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/086125.html

The suggestion was that the balance assembly which is one with the oil pump, or something like that. http://rodneydickman.com/ca...be5f7c4bcda8e82a1b53

however, I thank you for the good advice!

------------------

[This message has been edited by snowblindburd (edited 07-19-2011).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 58 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock