Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  hi-flo manifold update (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 
Previous Page | Next Page
hi-flo manifold update by Francis T
Started on: 05-27-2004 03:16 PM
Replies: 1156
Last post by: Francis T on 07-09-2009 05:47 PM
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2004 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Just to let everyone know, we awarded an order for the first 25 flanges for our 2,8 hi-flo intake manifold and should start work the first prototype real soon. If you're not on our list of 'may want to buy one' let me know.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
donk316

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post05-27-2004 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
Ill need ALOT more info before I sign up. Whats it replace? Just the plenum? What does it flow? What TB does it use? Is it dual TB? How big is the plenum? Runner Length? Runner cross section? Equal length runners bank to bank or unequal? Whats the manifold tuned for RPM -wise? Factory fuel rail? Provisions for NOS plumbing? Any info would be cool!

------------------
Calgary - August 1, 2004 Fiero Fiesta

*ALL THROTTLE AND NO BOTTLE*

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2004 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
First off, we're not obligating anyone to buy the thing, just trying to get an idea on how many people would want them. When the prototype is done, we're going to do a dyno run with stock 2.8 manifold (already have someone waiting to use his car as the test mule) and then do some runs with the hi-flo. We will use a wide-band too to get a good picture of what's happening. We are not looking to make it for high rpm only, if you're worried about that. And it will replace BOTH the upper and lower units.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2004 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Francis T

6620 posts
Member since Oct 2003
My son and I are risking a few thou to make a decent maniflod available for these engines, we not going to get rich building them, so be cool people. I posted that update cause a lot of folks want me to keep them informed of our progress, but I think I may hold off with more updates until we're ready to pull the covers off the first setup. One thing for sure, it's going to out flow the stock unit. BTY, donk316, if you do a search on hi-flo you should find more info on what we're up to. We race what we build. Go to trueleo.com and see what we make for the MR2s.
donk316

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-28-2004 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
Hey thanks for the link to your site. I see what you have done but still have many questions. The same ones I have above. How did you decide plenum size and runner sizing? I would love an all out rpm intake thats why I have resorted to building my own also. Would love as much technical info as your willing to share

------------------

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2004 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
I think a lot of 3.4 people will get in on this one. I know I'd like to. Hopefully you will still be making them in a few months when I'm not in debt. When people swap in the Camaro 3.4 pushrod motor, we use the Fiero intakes because the Camaro one won't fit. But the 3.4 needs more air than the 2.8, and the Fiero intakes are restrictive for the 2.8, so you can imagine the problem they cause on a 3.4. I'll bet you definately see a few more ponies on the dyno on a 3.4 with a much better flowing intake system. Jstricker already tried increasing the plenum volume and decreasing the length of the runners, but minimal gain came from it. However, he was machining a stock upper plenum. A whole new system I think would do wonders.
Doug Chase

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2004 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseDirect Link to This Post
What are you making the flanges out of?

Want to sell a pair? If so, how much?

------------------
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom roll cage and exhaust fabrication

Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2004 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested. Do you have any pics/drawings?. BTW thanks for your effort.......Paul
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2004 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

I think a lot of 3.4 people will get in on this one. I know I'd like to. Hopefully you will still be making them in a few months when I'm not in debt. When people swap in the Camaro 3.4 pushrod motor, we use the Fiero intakes because the Camaro one won't fit. But the 3.4 needs more air than the 2.8, and the Fiero intakes are restrictive for the 2.8, so you can imagine the problem they cause on a 3.4. I'll bet you definately see a few more ponies on the dyno on a 3.4 with a much better flowing intake system. Jstricker already tried increasing the plenum volume and decreasing the length of the runners, but minimal gain came from it. However, he was machining a stock upper plenum. A whole new system I think would do wonders.

thats why i volunteer'd my car has test mule, we will be testing it on my 85GT 2.8L automatic i suppose, only mod it has is a set of ported exhaust manifolds, otherwise its a bone stock motor (but getting code 32 for some reason)

If frank would rather test it on my 87GT i can bring it also, its a 3.4L pushrod motor, 19lb injectors, ported exhaust, bored out intake plenum and throttle body, custom exhaust with 2.5" pipes running back to a flowmaster muffler.

matthew

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2004 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Question 1: as for the specs, my son is the tuner guru and he will list the specs when he's done. At the SCC ultimate street car compitition he had the highest HP per CC and that was with his mix set a little too lean (it was hotter in Ca than Virginia) and a knock. he knows his stuff.
2: our flanges are being laser cut from 3/8" steel. I'll ask my son if he wants to let one go.
3: Matt, since more people are running the 2.8 I think we should that engine first, but if you want to bring both, talk to my son. It would be nice to evaluate 2 engines on the same day. BTY, we'll also see what it does for my 2.8 turbo, and boy am I loving all that new HP. Spools up in a heartbeat too! YEs, pics soon
daveg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2004 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for davegSend a Private Message to davegDirect Link to This Post
You can count me as interested.

daveg

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2004 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
You already know of my interest, but I'll comment again, here.
Fastback 86 pretty much nailed it. As beneficial as this will be for the 2.8 guys, the 3.4 engines are the ones that are in need of a "breath of fresh air".

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe...........

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

Read Nealz Nuze!

Maetrix66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2004 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Maetrix66Click Here to visit Maetrix66's HomePageSend a Private Message to Maetrix66Direct Link to This Post
So it was his Mr2 in the USCC!!

That thing is sick! I was pulling for him, I figured that since a fiero can't seem to make it's way onto
the USCC, the closest thing would be a MR2. Plus, I have alot more respect for people that actually
build the stuff that goes into their cars, instead of just walking into a tuner shop, handing the guy behind the counter
a blank check and telling them," I want two of everything, let me know when it's done"

So, any thoughts on a crankshaft main girdle for
a 60 degree v6??

That would help alot on the durability of the engine under high power apps.

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2004 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure I was on the list of your previous post, if not consider me very interested! (I'm also installing a 3.4) Jason

------------------
A coward dies a thousand deaths..................A soldier dies but once.

Red 86 SE
Yellow 87 GT
Gold 86 SE (wrecked)
Red 84 2.5 Coupe

[This message has been edited by Fierofreak00 (edited 05-28-2004).]

Firefighter1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2004 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Firefighter1Send a Private Message to Firefighter1Direct Link to This Post
Francis T - Your comment about not getting rich by making the new manifolds is much too kind. Just like Rodney Dickman and The Fiero Store, if you make something good available to us, that we need and no one else has available, you deserve to get rich.
Some of the guys complain about Rodneys prices or the Fiero Store, but they have stuff available that saves us time and all kinds of labor. I just bought Rodneys stainless steel vacuum lines for $ 100. Try finding a custom set anywhere else. Or vacuum lines that assure you that for the rest of your life, you will not have a vacuum line problem. For that kind of product, $ 100 is a bargain. You're doing us all a favor by trying to produce a good product, you deserve a decent return for your efforts. Ed

------------------

JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2004 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
I would also be very interested
Doug Chase

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2004 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefighter1:

Just like Rodney Dickman and The Fiero Store, if you make something good available to us, that we need and no one else has available, you deserve to get rich.

I highly doubt that either Rodney or the Fiero store are getting rich off of the Fiero market.

I'd love to be wrong, though, because if they're getting rich they'll probably be around for a while.

------------------
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom roll cage and exhaust fabrication

edhering

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2004 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageSend a Private Message to edheringDirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested in a set when I finally get a 3.4 into my '86. Not sure when that'll be tho.

Ed

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2004 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for response everyone. BTY, that was my son's car in the compitation and to say he was bummed-out to have blown a head gasket that way, don't even come close. He was supposed to have two other drivers with him on his way to Ca from Va but both were too scared of the winds they encountered and thus he had to drive the whole way. On dyno day he was so tired, he forgot to adjust for the hotter LA weather and it went lean with 29lbs of boast! I'm still very prod of what he (with a little help from me) built. He engineered that car from top to bottom himself. I've been in lots of fast cars 250 v12 Farrirs, 427 vets, Mopars etc, and none of them can hold a candle to that MR2 of his. And the sound of 11,000 screaming rpm.... Anyway he has my little 2.8 turbo running hard now too, but not like that MR2. I best be quiet now, us dads can run on and on about our sons.
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2004 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
bump

------------------
A coward dies a thousand deaths..................A soldier dies but once.

Red 86 SE
Yellow 87 GT
Gold 86 SE (wrecked)
Red 84 2.5 Coupe

yons

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2004 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yonsSend a Private Message to yonsDirect Link to This Post
i want to install a 3.4 in the future i would like to get in on it

------------------
86 fiero GT just got it and loving it
85 Fiero Se

PFF
System Bot
GARY TUCKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2004 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GARY TUCKERSend a Private Message to GARY TUCKERDirect Link to This Post
I am very interested....I have all performance engine but not ported intakes yet....I think I rather get this instead of porting everything !

------------------
1988 Gary Tucker (GT)

rkisling

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2004 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rkislingSend a Private Message to rkislingDirect Link to This Post
definitely interested for my 3.4L GT...keep me posted on the details

ron

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2004 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
As you folks chime-in on wanting the manifold, I've been adding you to the list. We have about tweenty people so far. When we're ready for the first production run (after testing etc) we'll post pics, specs, dyno charts etc and take orders. Those on the list will get first crack at ordering. We ordered enough flanges for 25 units, so even with the prototypes, we'll be able to fill like 21 or 22 orders with that first batch, and that will be to those on the list in thanks for responding early. BTY, a few of you only gave your PFF handle and I listed that way, if you can, give me your e-mail too. Thanks everyone. Still waiting for the flanges to get here. When you see how complcated they are, you'll understand why we had them laser cut.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2004 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Something that I'm not clear about.

The MR2 manifold (It's a beautiful piece, by the way) feeds one bank of four cylinders, where the V-6 manifold has to feed two banks of three.
Does your manifold replace all three sections of the Fiero manifold, right down to the heads? Does it replace all but the base?
If it replaces "everything", it will have to include the valley cover and all the coolant passages and stuff. Right?
I'm just trying to picture it. Sounds like it's going to be a very complicated piece.

Please don't mistake my curiosity for cynicism. I've dreamed about a "good" manifold for a long time, even to the point of looking for metal stock to have a custom plenum fabricated. Just trying to picture it, is all.

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2004 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Raydar, as of prototype # 1 we are going to use the valley cover (I.E. the bottom unit with the injectors) and replace both the top and middle units. All 6 runners will feed into one plenium, and you will be able to use the OEM fuel rail. We drafted up some plans for a 'direct to the heads' manifold with a really neat setup for the injectors, but we decided it would be a bit costly for most users. The thing is, if you make the manifold too costly, most people will ellect to use forced induction, if it's only going to cost a little more. However, if we don't get the big gains in flow that we expect (and we're still quite confident) from what were are going to build, we may build the more complicated design. If you look closely at the MR2 unit, you'll see that we went from the rectangle head ports to round runners and that's what we'll be doing for the fiero (though a little more complicated to achive) and why we had to have laser-cut flanges made, and I wish they'ed get here. Nuts, no UPS monday either, I'll keep ya posted.
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2004 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Very cool. The lower plenum doesn't really appear to be that big of a problem. The intakes into the heads open up much more. The upper and middle plenums are the real restriction. That was my take on it when I had my engine apart.
donk316

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-30-2004 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
The only real restriction after you port the lower is the upper plenum....save yourself the hassle and build a better plenum

------------------

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2004 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:

Raydar, as of prototype # 1 we are going to use the valley cover (I.E. the bottom unit with the injectors) and replace both the top and middle units. All 6 runners will feed into one plenium, and you will be able to use the OEM fuel rail...

Okay. That makes sense. That bottom casting would be a real biatch to reproduce with tubing and flat steel.

I understand the bottom intake (the part you are retaining) can be ported out quite a bit. Darrell Morse has done several of them, as have some others.
I don't have flow numbers, but I'm sure that many people here can supply educated guesses, if not exact measurements.

We'll be here...

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-30-2004).]

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2004 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
we thought about porting the lower unit, however that would require everyone sending us their valley (lowest manifold) covers and also add to the cost. We think the gains with just the 2 new upper units will be enough to negate the need for porting the lower unit too. For you guys looking for every last smeggen of power, you could of cause port the valley cover yourself or send it out. Considering that youll be able order our manifolds (at extra cost) setup for larger TBs, I think most will be happy without porting the valley cover.
bobmarshall

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2004 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bobmarshallSend a Private Message to bobmarshallDirect Link to This Post
Count me in for one. If you can solve the huge problem of low intake flow I would bet that you will have quite a few orders. Don't forget the equally huge cavalier Z24 market out there as well as any of the millions of GM cars that used the 2.8. Thanks for your dedication to improving the performance of the Fiero.
PFF
System Bot
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
bump, anymore updates or how bout pics!
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2004 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

bump, anymore updates or how bout pics!

See above quote.

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2004 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
No we haven't forgot you flokes, we're still waiting for the initial order of flanges to get here. Should be any day now.
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2004 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
WOHOO! I personally can't wait!!
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2004 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
So I'm guessing your custom manifold is going to be like a header for the intake? I'm just trying to picture it.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2004 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Go to trueleo.com and take a look at the manifolds we make for MR2s, it will be something like that, kinda.
m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2004 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
OOOOOO, im excited, Hopefully ill still have my stock 2.8L in my 85GT then

right now i have a 3.4L ready to go for it, but ive been holding off

How much would you and your son charge me for forced induction on my 3.4L? (shoot me an email with the price, or a PM) if you would even do such a thing

matthew

OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2004 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Maetrix66:

So it was his Mr2 in the USCC!!

So, any thoughts on a crankshaft main girdle for
a 60 degree v6??

That would help alot on the durability of the engine under high power apps.

Your best bet would be to use the 3.4 block from a Camero or Firebird, they have a improved oiling system and wider main caps. With these improvements as well as a few others not, the 3.4 can hold higher RPM's ( from a local speed shop that built a few including mine, they say the stock block can pull 8,000 RPM for a good period of time ) and the heads will not be starved of oil unless hard decelleration is experianced. To me the 2.8 needs too many add ons and modifications to even come close to a stock 3.4, but that is only my opinion from research that I have come up with, you should look into both before making any decisions, but I am confident you would go with the 3.4 when you are done looking at the changes and improvments made over the 2.8.

m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2004 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
any news frank?

matthew

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock