Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  whodeanie's 88 gt custom build (Page 18)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
whodeanie's 88 gt custom build by whodeanie
Started on: 03-20-2008 12:26 PM
Replies: 788 (67259 views)
Last post by: CommanderKeen on 08-23-2013 07:59 PM
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

Looking good! Did you make it home OK? I kept looking for you two on the side of the road on the way home!

Oh yea! thanks for that! smart a**
now I will catch hell for a long time for trying to take a corner with stile
note to self, New Tires

IP: Logged
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whodeanie:

Sweet. BTW, I love the lug nuts. It's the only type I roll with. How long before the 13" rotors arrive?
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW Dean! That really looks good! Keep the pictures coming.....
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2009 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys
I still have a long way to go on it but I will keep you posted.
D.
mikejhjr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2009 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good! Can't wait to see it all finished with the brakes. Hopefully I'll be doing something similar soon.
hye_4_life

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2009 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hye_4_lifeSend a Private Message to hye_4_lifeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Whodeanie and madcurl, considering the wheels you guys have, I'd probably use some lugs that offer a little more security than those SD lugs. The "key" for SD lugs are typically universal; even if they're custom splines, a 19mm thin-walled socket will take them off effortlessly.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2009 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not worried about someone trying to take the wheels. this car lives in my garage and when I get it done to take it to shows it will be in an inclosed trailer.
if I was going to drive the car as a DD I would have locks on it.

if they want to break in to my garage to get them then they will have to get past the alarm, cct, my wolf! and my 12ga.
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2009 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you using Fiero bearing hubs, or are they larger than stock? Rear also?
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2009 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

Are you using Fiero bearing hubs, or are they larger than stock? Rear also?

they are stock size. the front uses rear bearings with a big bolt threw them. and the rear are just new replacements.
Erik will make them in different bolt patterns as well like the ones he built for Curly to fit 5 x 4.5 bolt patterns.

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2009 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why do rear bearings need to be used up front?
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2009 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I talked with Erik today, what a great guy. He told me the main reason for using the rear bearings up front is availability. The fronts on the '88 are very hard if not impossible to find and the rears he uses can have new hubs (they make their own) drilled (not redrilling old ones) for any bolt pattern. That means no adapters for Porsche wheels like you are having to use Rob

Did I understand Erik correctly Dean? It also means much less expensive wheel choices in larger sizes.
PFF
System Bot
hye_4_life

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2009 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hye_4_lifeSend a Private Message to hye_4_lifeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am not worried about someone trying to take the wheels. this car lives in my garage and when I get it done to take it to shows it will be in an inclosed trailer.
if I was going to drive the car as a DD I would have locks on it.

if they want to break in to my garage to get them then they will have to get past the alarm, cct, my wolf! and my 12ga.

Sounds like they're a lot more secure than I thought lol
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2009 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

I talked with Erik today, what a great guy. He told me the main reason for using the rear bearings up front is availability. The fronts on the '88 are very hard if not impossible to find and the rears he uses can have new hubs (they make their own) drilled (not redrilling old ones) for any bolt pattern. That means no adapters for Porsche wheels like you are having to use Rob

Did I understand Erik correctly Dean? It also means much less expensive wheel choices in larger sizes.

Yes! thumbsup:
if I did not already have my wheels I would have had him make mine with the 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern that way I could have used a lot of differant wheels like Corvette or Camero wheels that you can get all day long for
under 500 bucks. don't get me wrong I love the wheels I have and even if I had the other bolt pattern I would have still ordered these for mine.
here is another + about the differant bolt pattern, you can use the Corvette roters without having them re drilled.
D.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2009 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How much are the custom hubs running ?

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2009 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

How much are the custom hubs running ?

Tony, actually I never asked because I was figuring on buying his entire kit.

Erik's contact info

Erik's kits and Fiero Products

You might drop him a note or give him a call. I calculated in my head that what I save on wheels will nearly pay for the suspension kit!

\/\/

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 09-25-2009).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2009 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why is a large bolt needed through the middle? The 1" billet adapters were only $75 ea. The most economical way to change bolt patterns. 3/4" is possible if the wheels have hollow spaces between lug holes. But, it will widen the track necessitating flares or widebody mods.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2009 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why is a large bolt needed through the middle? The 1" billet adapters were only $75 ea. The most economical way to change bolt patterns. 3/4" is possible if the wheels have hollow spaces between lug holes. But, it will widen the track necessitating flares or widebody mods.

The big bolt is needed because the rear bearings are normaly held together by the rear axles. if it is not there they will just come appart.

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh yea! thanks for that! smart a**
now I will catch hell for a long time for trying to take a corner with stile
note to self, New Tires

Did I mention anything about a corner?
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, it has been too long. I will try to get something done on the car this weekend and get it posted on monday.
D.
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was kinda wondering what happened, but I was trying not to say anything. I hope all is well!
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2009 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

I was kinda wondering what happened, but I was trying not to say anything. I hope all is well!

I am fine, things at the glass shop have been slow so to help make some money I am working for a friend as a forman for jobs he has going and it has kept me out of town a lot.
D.

PFF
System Bot
rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2009 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2009 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

I believe the '88 front bearing/hubs can be purchased from both Fierostore & Rodney Dickman. But, the hub surface looks to be too small to redrill for a larger bolt pattern. Since he already machines new rear hubs maybe he can do the same for the front... don't know if the sealed bearing design is an issue.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2009 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I believe the '88 front bearing/hubs can be purchased from both Fierostore & Rodney Dickman. But, the hub surface looks to be too small to redrill for a larger bolt pattern. Since he already machines new rear hubs maybe he can do the same for the front... don't know if the sealed bearing design is an issue.

Rob, give Erik a call he would be glad to help with any questions.
here is his # 616-893-1433
D.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2009 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here is a little update, I hope to have more soon

I was able to get the rack rebuilt and reinstalled as well as the rest of the front to get the car back on the wheels.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2009 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Man i love those wheels !
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2009 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Man i love those wheels !

Thanks Tony

I just tracked the windows from Archie and they should be here tomorrow
D.

they made it

[This message has been edited by whodeanie (edited 11-17-2009).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So you did all that fender re-working for 1.75"?
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2009 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So you did all that fender re-working for 1.75"?

Yes I did!
I know I took the long way around but I have never been a big fan of fender flairs. and I needed to do it to match the nose better and get rid of some of that wedge look on the front of the car as well.

I was able to do some work on the car this weekend. I fitted the console in the car and cut the lower part of the dash out for clearance. I will be moving the center part up.
I will get some pic's later this week and post them.
D.

carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2009 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see that you're back after it again!
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2009 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last night I was able to get some pic's
not all that much to see, I fitted the console and to do so I had to cut the lower dash and move it up.
at this time it is just sitting in place because I am still deciding where I want it to go.
I am also working on a 355 style cover to go on the column that I made using a real 355 cover. it will take some work but I will get it.
D.

PFF
System Bot
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How far did you have to move the dash center? I know from before that spyderdash sat pretty low on the tunnel.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2009 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How far did you have to move the dash center? I know from before that spyderdash sat pretty low on the tunnel.

once I cut it appart I had to move it up about 1-1/2" up and about 3/4 out from the dash.
then I cut the center up and took an inch out of it. the stock setup has 3 gadges on the top and the stereo on the bottom.
on my set up I am going to use a nav. Kenwood that is larger and I will make custom gadge pods for the Apiller.
D.

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the bottom dash back together this weekend. I still have to finish it out but getting closer.
D.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dean

Which car you bringing to Daytona ?
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dean

Which car you bringing to Daytona ?

What ever one is done! if any?
the way it looks at the moment if I can get enough money together to finish the DD and the trip I will most likely bring that one.
I would love to bring the choptop but I would rather not just slam it together for the show just to take it back appart to finish it right.
D.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2009 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2009 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Collecting dust at the moment
I am trying to get the 88 DD. done at the moment. but I do still tinker with this one when I can.

NEED HELP! SEND MONEY!
Will update for cash
D.

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, here is a little update for all.
I have been working on the DD as of late to get it done and back on the road soon. but I have not given up on the choptop.
the one thing I will say about my choptop is that it is always changing at least my plan for it is. it is moving forward slow at the moment but I will be getting back to it very soon
full tilt.
Rob AKA Amida is working on some more parts for me that I will have back soon.
here are some pic's that he sent me last night.
what I did was send him the gadge cluster from my car and had him overlay carbon fiber on to it so it would flow with the console he built for me as well as make me a flat piece
to use for the trim around the head unit.
D.

Flyn2Low

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Flyn2LowSend a Private Message to Flyn2LowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a little late for the hub chat, an hope you don't mind me interjecting some two cents worth, but not sure if anyone has checked into this as a hub solution or not, but I looked up hubs for a C5 vette, and they're basically just like the Fieros, only bigger. Some years had the 3 bolt mounting like the Fiero, an some had the 4 bolt mount design. Seems like if you are using those custom knuckles, you could drill some more mounting holes for the larger bolt pattern to mount the vette hubs. Also there is the knuckle from the 6000 that is a bolt on for the rear of the 84-87 that accepts the front hub from the S-10 4X4 which is bigger and has the vette lug pattern. Using the S-10 outer axle stub with the Fiero axle is an easy upgrade for those stump pulling engines that want to rip the factory Fiero hubs apart and gives you the more common wheel bolt pattern.

Kudos on the incredible build. Inspiration for all. Thanks
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock