Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  The Miura project begins (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 21 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Miura project begins by Archie
Started on: 12-08-2007 07:13 AM
Replies: 834 (215023 views)
Last post by: Archie on 02-03-2023 02:01 PM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2008 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
In truth, if it wasn't for the build threads on PFF, you guys would have nothing to post about on RFT.

Bingo! For virtually everything discussed here (V8Archie related) on good ole' Pennock's is being discussed over there. They're like a bad marriage/relationship that has ended, but instead of moving on; they keep coming back in a drunken state; flicking on every thread asking for a fight.

"Declare your Independence"- what a joke. You can't declare "independence" if you haven't move on.

IP: Logged
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2008 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In case anyone wonders, "myfierogt" wasn't banned because people "ganged up" on him. He was banned because I banned him. There was something familiar about him so I checked my logs. Turns out he is the recently banned member "zimmer" who made it a hobby jumping into "Archie" threads and bash him but was banned and apparently re-joined to finish the job.

Now normally, if you are banned and return without the system detecting it, and this time around you behave, then kudos to you. But it's obvious why "myfierogt" returned and thus why he got banned again.
TRiAD

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2008 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, that would be Cliff, in the corner, quietly considering his Louisville Slugger...
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"...Indeed!

...Now...Back to the build!!!

[This message has been edited by TRiAD (edited 05-15-2008).]

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2008 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

But it's obvious why "myfierogt" returned and thus why he got banned again.

Interesting, his very first post was actually in my thread where I am trying to sell my 2.8 V6 in order to start on my V8 swap.

I don't know if he was showing interest in order to mess with me because I'm doing a V8 swap or if he was really interested. Either way he messed up his plans by exposing himself in this thread.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2008 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TRiAD:
...Now...Back to the build!!!

OK, it looks like the dust has cleared.

Since we left off, we've removed the body from the chassis & are welding up the chassis some more in places we couldn't get to with the body on.

Here's an example of the many places we have to do the finish steel work.

This is the door jamb on the drivers side........ before.......

after.........

Working on building the rear window mounting frame.....

Overall, this chassis looks a lot like the chassis on my GT40 looked at this point in it's construction.

Archie
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking good.... but you need a better camera
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kawana:

looking good.... but you need a better camera

Yeah, you're right. Or I need a steadier hand.

Yeah, I think it's the camera.

A
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post06-06-2008 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 04-21-2009).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We did a bunch more welding on the car today.

While moving cars around in the shop, we decided to take it outside for some fresh air.

Archie
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2008 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Need about an inch in lowering Arch

Cordially,
Kevin
PFF
System Bot
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2008 05:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the fabrication ..hopefully Jay Leno will drive it and compare it to his "stable" of Miuras
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2008 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like what I see so far Archie. Even I have doubted some of your fabrication over the years but the test of time has proved it worked. This one looks pretty damn strong to me despite what the naysayers say. Hell it has more structure to it than a huge chunk of the production cars on the road.

Just a question though. The parts of the framework near the front and back wheels, are they going to be trimmed down at a later stage or are they overhanging for some reason I have yet to work out?
seegeer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2008 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seegeerSend a Private Message to seegeerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
archie,
i have been reading this post and first off, i would like to say i think its awesome. i have been admiring your work since i join the forum about a year ago. what a lot of people do not seem to realize it the extensive amount of research and time thats involved in your work. to customize something, but yet make it safe, realiable and look good to boot is not an easy task. you have done alot of creative things and i enjoy the products you make, with that being said, i have a question about the build

what are your plans for the frame as far as a "finished product", or is it finished now besides the powdercoating? what i am talking about are the areas that appear that they could be plated for strength or filled in with fiberglass matting for a cleaner more finished look. just curious, thanks for the build...
spence
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2008 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys.

As with many of my threads on PFF this is a build thread. People say that threads suck without pictures, so I make sure there are lots of pics in my threads.

Because they are build threads, all of the pictures in the threads should be considered in process pictures. It's my hope that posting pictures of a build makes other Fiero owners be less afraid to go after some of their own dreams for their cars. Some people would be surprised at what they can do themselves with proper planning & care.

In process pics tend to show the good, bad & the ugly of the building process. None of my in process pics are "posed" it's a waste of my customers' money to clean up & paint everything everytime we take some pics. Typically I take pics of just about everything we do in one of these builds. Many times I take more than 50 pictures a day but less than 10% are used in online build threads. In some of my build threads, I've had people state that "The car should be lowered" or "the brakes appear to be too small for the wheels that are on the car". Guess what, that's because we haven't got to that part yet.

Someplace on this Forum there is a build thread on my GT40. In that thread, you'll find lots of pictures of the chassis & if you look thru the pics from beginning to end, you can see how the chassis went from "ugly, he'll never get it done" to "ready to take to paint" as you know, it doesn't happen overnite. It takes lots of planning & labor.

In the case with the latest pics I posted, we had to move a couple of cars around in the shop & the Miura had to be rolled outside. While it was out there, I decided to take some pics.

There's still a lot of metalwork & welding yet to do before we can send it out to powdercoat. In the above pics notice that the left side door jam area is much more finished than the same area on the right side. The rear window mounting flange is finished in these pics but wasn't even started in previous pics.

Our goal is to get ALL the chassis metalwork & welding done before we sent it out for powdercoating. I'm sure we'll miss something that will have to be welded later but we're trying to get it all at this point.

You'll notice 2 lengths of 2x2 box tubing running at the door sill plates at what will be the top of the rocker panels. They are connected to each other with 2x2 cripples. You'll notice that they tie together side to side via the 1x3 retangular boxes that form the cowl just above the heater box. Behind the doors the dual sill boxes are tied together by the structure that goes across the back of the car at the base of the rear window. While a lot of the original Fiero chassis is still there, you'll find a lot of steel tying it all together.

This build is real simillar to my Gt40 build & that car was extremely solid.

The plan is that the ends of the two 2x2 sill plate boxes will have a 2x2 box going in towards the center of the car and tie into the chassis at that point. These pcs. will double as a mounting point for the inner wheel well liners.

Among other things, we still have to build a trunk area for the Muira between the 2 rear verticals just above the rear cradle mounts. We will be welding in sheet metal between the front frame horns & 1x3's going fromt the cowl to the nose. This will also form the inside of the front wheel well. We still have a lot of open ends on the rails, they will be boxed in & closed off.

From the interior side, metal will have to be cut & welded in place under the sills & in the rear corners of the passenger compartment to close them off. Provisions will have to be made for the later mounting of rubber seals around all openings. We have pieces of a very crude dash & console, we will have to be welding in any mounting tabs we might need for the dash installation & we also will have to decide on an overhead console & make provisions for mounting that.

Inside the doors, the kit provides no provisions for hinging & window mechanisms. We've already designed hinges & mounted a steel plate in the front of the door for them but we still have to provide strength to the door & mounting points for the unknown window systems by running a steel frame inside the doors.

This is just an example of what remains to be done.

At some point, soon I hope, we'll be ready to send the chassis out to be powdercoated. We will show pics of it heading out at that time.

At that time I also plan to take the Forum for a picture tour of that powdercoating operation to show you what all is involved in running a powdercoat operation.

As you know, the body for this car was made in the U.K. & the panels are starting to warp & lose their shape. The panels were made with a very rich resin/glass ratio, so when we start working on the final body installation, we will have to do some heavy body reglassing. We will also be building a steel framework to glass into the inside of some of the larger body panels to help them retain their shape once the car is complete.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 06-07-2008).]

seegeer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2008 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seegeerSend a Private Message to seegeerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks archie,
i can picture the car as you explain the process. nice work
spence
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2008 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW You are the man Archie!! That is the best fabrication I have ever seen. I love it!!
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car looks great, Archie....with that said, I hope the following isn't taken too harshly (because it isn't meant to be harsh).

I've been following this thread because the Miura is one of my favorite cars. Along with some of the other people here, I too question the safety of it...but I think they are looking at this from the wrong point of view. A large portion of the safety of a vehicle isn't so much the rigidity of the frame and it's ability to resist collision damage...but it's ability to crush in a controlled manner to minimize the forces of the collision on the driver and passenger. Unfortunately, this is a quality that can only be determined with crash tests...which I hope nobody does with this car. Yes....I question this cars safety. But I also recognize that every vehicle has compromises. You can't have the stiffest structure possible, and still protect the driver and passenger the best way possible in a collision. Stiffer structure aids performance. I would assume that you are focusing on maximum performance without compromising safety rather than maximum safety....which is exactly the way I would want my own Miura replica built.

Anyone that is questioning your methods, or the final results, need only look at your past builds. My car isn't pretty right now either...but at least you have past experience to fall back on. Can't wait to see more.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 05:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie - i just sent you an e-mail on a different subject. All i can say is that you REALLY know how to build an amazing car
fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2008 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates ?
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2008 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

While moving cars around in the shop, we decided to take it outside for some fresh air.

Archie

It almost looks like with a few more beams and some sheet metal you could cut the Pontiac out of the car...
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2008 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, it's been a month since I've put any updates up.

But we've been working. The chassis is headed over for powdercoating this week.

You can compare the following pictures to the last set of pictures & see that we've added a lot of stuff to it.

I was going to try to describe what all we've done but there's too much stuff to detail here, so we'll let the pictures do the talking.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2008 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2008 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999

There will be many more pics after powdercoating but it will be harder to see everything when the whole chassis is all one color.

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2008 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Almost forgot, I also did a little video of it today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSf97Cgi3r8

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 07-10-2008).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2008 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Video link fixed
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2008 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WIth those latest pics I am picturing it with Mad Max style bodywork, a few gun mounts and bullbars.

Can't wait to see it powdercoated.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2008 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today, it's off to powdercoating.......

Archie
SAFASTRO

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2008 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW.....this thing is going to be freakin awesome!!!!!!
Great work there guys!!!! Solid as a rock.

------------------
Order your Official Pennock's Forum decals in this thread. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/040445.html

2" Choptop
Shortened Front Bumper
Shortened Rear Bumper
10" Stretch
Dubs
350 V8 Conversion pushing 350 ponies!!

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2008 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Archie, which process is better, pors-15 or powder coating?
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2008 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bumpity bump I need IMPUT can't do these things any more so I need to see more
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2008 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bubbajoexxx:

The chassis should be back from Powdercoating later this week.

BTW, I saw your project & talked to it's new owner extensively at the 25th.

Good work.

Archie
He Named Thor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for He Named ThorClick Here to visit He Named Thor's HomePageSend a Private Message to He Named ThorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Looks great! This is gonna be a sweet ride when it's done.
phoenixbeginning

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phoenixbeginningSend a Private Message to phoenixbeginningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie one question...The chassis looks beautiful and very very solid.
But in relationship from stripped frame weight of the Fiero to what you have now...how much heavier is the car going to be ?
I m considering on my v-8 swap to strengthen the frame (since the whole engine compartment will be tube frame) just wanted to stay around factory weight at finish product.
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phoenixbeginning:

Archie one question...The chassis looks beautiful and very very solid.
But in relationship from stripped frame weight of the Fiero to what you have now...how much heavier is the car going to be ?
I m considering on my v-8 swap to strengthen the frame (since the whole engine compartment will be tube frame) just wanted to stay around factory weight at finish product.

Good question..Archie have you weighed the modded frame?
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Erik

5625 posts
Member since Jul 2002

Originally posted by bubbajoexxx:

Bubba, if you were to get together with Archie on as a design consultant ...
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

Bubba, if you were to get together with Archie on as a design consultant ...

Archie is doing a fine job as it is he dose not need my 2 cents but if he had anyquestions for me I would answer them gladly if I can
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bubbajoexxx

1630 posts
Member since Aug 2003

The chassis should be back from Powdercoating later this week.

BTW, I saw your project & talked to it's new owner extensively at the 25th.

Good work.

Archie[/QU

Thanks for the coments Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2008 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We're still waiting for the chassis to come back from the powdercoating.

In the meantime the owner has had some new custom seats made for it.

I think they look pretty good.

Archie
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2008 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not bad at all as lone as they are not to wide for rhe fiero floor pan
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 21 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock