Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  The Miura project begins (Page 13)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 21 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Miura project begins by Archie
Started on: 12-08-2007 07:13 AM
Replies: 834 (215042 views)
Last post by: Archie on 02-03-2023 02:01 PM
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2010 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

More updates........

Sanding & shaping the door vents & getting them into primer.

Archie, Knowing how much sanding went into those vents is making my fingertips bleed, I've been there making plugs for parts.

This car is going to be fantastic!!!

Good enough, isn't. Joe
IP: Logged
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your kind comments.

I'm jumping forward a little bit right now.

Last week we spent the 1st few days getting the edges & joints finished up & we made the scoops in the rocker panels.

Then at the end of last week we painted it in primer. Today we put it all back together.....

I think it looks pretty good all one color even if it is just primer.

Archie

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW!! I just don't see how this car could get any nicer!!

Did UPS find the parts they lost??
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to back that up!! This is so sweeeettttt!! I know the owner must be GIDDY with excitement to see the car at this stage. Man you guys have done a fantastic job on this car. Can't wait to see it finished.
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

WOW!! I just don't see how this car could get any nicer!!

Did UPS find the parts they lost??

Glass and Paint would make it look heaps nicer
Great shaped car. I have a model of one on my shelf.
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SICK !
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll bet it's been a real ego/moral boost to the crew to see the car at this stage, the finish line is in sight now!!! There's not many big projects that I'm willing to take on anymore, but if that body was avalible in that level of detail, I'd do one!!!

I fully understand the buissness reasons why you won't be tooling this project, I spent about a decade and a half chasing my personal white whale (Lambo Countach) and spent enough money to have bought my house with cash, all I have to show for it are a bunch of parts and molds taking up space, and a couple of magazine articals.

The car so far is awesome

Joe
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-02-2010 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last night, on Super Cars Exposed, Tanner Foust went to Italy to drive some Lamborghinis. While chatting with some president of the Italian Lamborghini club, they spent a little time with a Miura SV. Oh she was gorgeous! She was the most amazing color of blue that I had ever layed my eyes on. The Miura, easily one of my top ten favorite automobiles.

Tony
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Last night, on Super Cars Exposed, Tanner Foust went to Italy to drive some Lamborghinis. While chatting with some president of the Italian Lamborghini club, they spent a little time with a Miura SV. Oh she was gorgeous! She was the most amazing color of blue that I had ever layed my eyes on. The Miura, easily one of my top ten favorite automobiles.

Tony

Yeah, I was surfing & I saw that but I wasn't quick enough. That video showed the hood vents real good. The hood vents are one thing we still have to fabricate & I really don't have any real good pics of them.

In fact, that's why i can online just now was to see if I can find out when that show is going to run again so I can record it.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 02-02-2010).]

Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie
use this link there are a couple good closeup shots of the grills http://web-cars.com/miura/styling_2.php
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bubbajoexxx:

Archie
use this link there are a couple good closeup shots of the grills http://web-cars.com/miura/styling_2.php

Thanks, that helps

Archie
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW! It would be cool to show this to Jay Leno
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Erik

5625 posts
Member since Jul 2002
Too bad you can't make some molds of this just in case the car gets destroyed so that it can be duplicated
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2010 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I keep coming back to this thread and staring at the car in all one colour. Really sets it up nicely as it is always hard to see what the near final product looks like in mutlicolours. This has been a very interesting process. A tribute to a crew that can do a lot of fantastic things with a little Pontiac mid engine car....

My hat off to you and your crew Archie.

I am with Erik in that it is a shame no molds will be taken from this car as the owner and you or anyone that would be willing to invest the capital for the molds, could make some decent dollars off this as a body kit. The reshaping of the Fiero frame in all its glory is also captured in this thread for people to reference as well as they redo their own Fieros.

I do undrstand the owner's reluctance though as a one off like this is much more appealing than many kits out there in various stages of completion. But one thing though, the owner will always have the orginal .... copy.... you know what I mean... ;o)

Again, outstanding work and I am looking forward to seeing the interior in and the engine in as you continue.

Regards
Don

[This message has been edited by 355Fiero (edited 02-03-2010).]

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2010 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie
the car is looking great, way to go guys

Now tell Chris to get back to work we need more updates........
D.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2010 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whodeanie:

Archie
the car is looking great, way to go guys

Now tell Chris to get back to work we need more updates........
D.

He's working on making the interior parts that UPS lost right now.

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2010 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999

Originally posted by 355Fiero:

I keep coming back to this thread and staring at the car in all one colour. Really sets it up nicely as it is always hard to see what the near final product looks like in mutlicolours. This has been a very interesting process. A tribute to a crew that can do a lot of fantastic things with a little Pontiac mid engine car....

My hat off to you and your crew Archie.

I am with Erik in that it is a shame no molds will be taken from this car as the owner and you or anyone that would be willing to invest the capital for the molds, could make some decent dollars off this as a body kit. The reshaping of the Fiero frame in all its glory is also captured in this thread for people to reference as well as they redo their own Fieros.

I do undrstand the owner's reluctance though as a one off like this is much more appealing than many kits out there in various stages of completion. But one thing though, the owner will always have the orginal .... copy.... you know what I mean... ;o)

Again, outstanding work and I am looking forward to seeing the interior in and the engine in as you continue.

Regards
Don

Thanks for your king words.

One note however, the owner of this car DID WANT us to make molds of the whole project. I'm the one who nixed making molds. It would have cost me $50K to $60K to make a complete set of molds & tooling for all of the parts we've made or modified to build this car. Add another $5K to make & prove out welding jigs for all the chassis modifications. I chased that white whale back when I did the GT40 (and a few other projects over the years) & I know how hard it is to develop a project like this.

I don't have enough time left in this life to get a payback on that kind of investment.

Just like the GT40, when push comes to shove, not many Fiero owners will get off of $15K or more for a kit, plus put in the kind of work it would take to put one of these cars together.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 02-03-2010).]

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2010 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

He's working on making the interior parts that UPS lost right now.

Archie

Oh man?! never found? that stinks, I hate to hear that.

keep up the great work
D.

355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2010 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie;

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, it is a LOT of money to get everything put together for a kit car that is for sure. Good luck with the rest of the build and please keep us thread surfers posted with pics.

Cheers
Don
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2010 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, back to the dirty work.

Monday after we got the car back together & took some pics, Kris got to work on making the 3 parts that UPS lost.

They lost the overhead console, the left lower "B" pillar cover & the right "A" pillar cover.

The console & the left lower "B" pillar cover are fabricated out of sheets of flat Fiberglass.

After making a few templates, Kris cut some shapes out of the fiberglass sheet.

The Fiberglass panels are all hot glued together (glue on the outside), square corners & all.

Then the inside pf the part gets a couple layers of fiberglass with some extra in the square corners.

After glassing Kris put some paint sticks inside to help it keep its shape.

Then the corners on the outside are ground off to form a radius where the straight panels met. Carefully put in holes for the switches & lights & it's close to finished.

While he was working on the console he was doing the same thing for the lower "B" pillar cover.

While Kris was doing some of the fiberglass on these parts he also made this part.

The "A" pillar cover won't be made out of flat fiberglass sheet. When we made these parts before we found that by makeing a part off of a corner of one of the Fino/Finale molds we could come up with a part to modify to make the part we needed.

So as of tonight, Kris has 2 of the missing parts made & is well on his way to making the hardest one of the 3.

Archie

PFF
System Bot
RumbleB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RumbleBSend a Private Message to RumbleBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been watching from the background. All I have to say is WOW! This is excellent work, guys. Question for you. Where do you get the sheets of flat fiberglass?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2010 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RumbleB:

I have been watching from the background. All I have to say is WOW! This is excellent work, guys. Question for you. Where do you get the sheets of flat fiberglass?

We have a 4' x 4' piece of formica counter top & we make the flat fiberglass on that.

Archie
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I chased that white whale
Archie

Hey that's my line

Joe
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2010 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a couple a couple of actual Miura pics for motivation!

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2010 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Hey that's my line

Joe

Yes, I know, I used that line on porpose. (<~~~ I used that word on purpose)

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 02-09-2010).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2010 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
After about 3 days Kris has finished making the 3 missing interior parts. They have been sent out for upholstery again. This time they are heavily insured.

We've now started building the inside door panels from scratch.

Once the base of the door panel is established, we have to devise a way to mount them securely.

Kris took several large nuts, put plastic tape over them then laid several layers of fiberglass over them. Once the nuts are removed we the remaining fiberglass "cups". A spring clip is mounted in the botom of each cup & the cups are mounted to the steel door panel that all the window hardware is mounted to.

Then we begin to mount the door panel to the cups.....

After securing those cups in place & grinding them flush with the new door panel, we're ready to fiberglass them into place.....

Here is is glassed up. I'll show you the other side of the door panel tomorrow after the fiberglass has setup overnight.

Archie

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2010 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

After about 3 days Kris has finished making the 3 missing interior parts. They have been sent out for upholstery again. This time they are heavily insured.

Archie

Same courier or different company?
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2010 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like that table!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2010 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Italian Job;
http://www.kidston.com/view_news.php?id=56

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-10-2010).]

Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2010 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey Archie,

As always great work! I love studying the build of the fiberglass pieces. I'm getting ready to start redesigning the door panels for my 88 so please keep those door panel pics coming! I do have a quick question for ya. The blue "filler" placed in all the inside edges of the fiberglass pieces you and your team have created - is that body filler or fiberglass?

[This message has been edited by Sofa King (edited 02-11-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2010 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sofa King:

Hey Archie,

As always great work! I love studying the build of the fiberglass pieces. I'm getting ready to start redesigning the door panels for my 88 so please keep those door panel pics coming! I do have a quick question for ya. The blue "filler" placed in all the inside edges of the fiberglass pieces you and your team have created - is that body filler or fiberglass?

The blue filler is a fine body filler...........

When we start fabricating a part with flat fiberglass panels it has square outside corners like this

Then we go to the inside use filler to make an inside radius similar to the radius we want to have on the outside. We then lay fiberglass on the inside over that filler. Then when we go to the outside to turn those square corners into rounded corners, we are grinding the corner down far enough to remove the filler & get to the new layer of fiberglass we laid on the inside. Like this.........

Between Troy's car, Curley's car & this car, Kris & Rob have become masters of this method.

You're going to see a real good example of this in my next update where we hand fabricate the armrests from flat fiberglass sheet.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 02-11-2010).]

skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

The Italian Job;
http://www.kidston.com/view_news.php?id=56

The most beautiful car in history... also is one of the best sounding. The car is literally sex on wheels.
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The blue filler is a fine body filler...........

When we start fabricating a part with flat fiberglass panels it has square outside corners like this

Then we go to the inside use filler to make an inside radius similar to the radius we want to have on the outside. We then lay fiberglass on the inside over that filler. Then when we go to the outside to turn those square corners into rounded corners, we are grinding the corner down far enough to remove the filler & get to the new layer of fiberglass we laid on the inside. Like this.........

Between Troy's car, Curley's car & this car, Kris & Rob have become masters of this method.

You're going to see a real good example of this in my next update where we hand fabricate the armrests from flat fiberglass sheet.

Archie

Brilliant! Thank you very much for the detailed instruction. That was one of the few grey areas I had not figured out. I'm really looking forward to seeing the armrests - I don't have to tell you to take LOTS of pics LOL. As I get closer to creating Console Part II, I will definately use these tips and guidance.

Thanks again and keep up the fantastic work.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is is glassed up. I'll show you the other side of the door panel tomorrow after the fiberglass has setup overnight.

Archie

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
I looked around the Internet for a few days & couldn't find any armrests that could look right in this car.

The customer wanted the door panels to look as close as we can to this panel (w/o the window crank).

I just couldn't find an armrest on the internet that was small enough to work into our car.

So we decided to make them.

These are being made out of flat fiberglass sheet just like many other items in this car.

Kris starts with a cardboard template.....

And a felt marker drawing.....

Using pcs. of flat fiberglass sheet, he starts building it like a kids card house glued together with hot glue.

Here he has a small pc. hot glued to an allen wrench while he puts it in place.....

Taking shape but with all square corners so far.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Yep, we need 2 of them.....

Here you can see the radius of filler on the inside.

As a few layers of fiberglass are laid in...

As the glass cured, you can see the radius....

You can see it real well right here.....

After grinding the radius, you can see that the body filler & the outside square corner are gone.....

You can see that Kris has installed a mounting plate to the backside of the arm rests....

Then it is fiberglassed into place.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
There is still some work to do some sanding & edges to finish up but, you can see that this armrest is coming along nicely.

Archie
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't wait to see the finished interior. Lookin' good

Joe
kwagner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What is going in the gap at the top of the door? On this pic:
http://upload.wikimedia.org...amborghini_Miura.JPG
the 'fins' go to the top of the door, but it looks like the top is a separate piece? Does it attach to the side of the car?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 21 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock