Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  The Miura project begins (Page 19)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 21 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Miura project begins by Archie
Started on: 12-08-2007 07:13 AM
Replies: 834 (215042 views)
Last post by: Archie on 02-03-2023 02:01 PM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

Please don't do it, this car is too classy to add something as cheesy as a fake engine cover. Once again great job, this car is by far the best thing to roll out of Archies shop

Although I absolutely love the Miura that Archie and his guys built, your car is one in a billion as well. Bottom line is that Archie and company do some amazing work and I can't wait to see what's next!

Archie - the car is perfect just the way it is. I am sure that if the owner wanted an exact duplicate of a Miura, he probably would have just bought a real one. Why own a real one when you can have a one of a kind work of automotive art? Great job and thanks again for sharing all your work.

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 12-09-2010).]

IP: Logged
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2010 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
awesome... and in Dallas Cowboys colors no less... too bad they are really sucking wind this year.

I'd ditch the front license plate. I know it is required by law, but it kills the front.

I've never been ticketed for not having one,... when I have been pulled over and asked about it, I just explain the bracket is no longer made and I am trying to source one for this 25 y/o classic. They are usually complimentary before giving me the speeding ticket...
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2010 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

awesome... and in Dallas Cowboys colors no less... too bad they are really sucking wind this year.

I'd ditch the front license plate. I know it is required by law, but it kills the front.

I've never been ticketed for not having one,... when I have been pulled over and asked about it, I just explain the bracket is no longer made and I am trying to source one for this 25 y/o classic. They are usually complimentary before giving me the speeding ticket...

The front plate is mounted on a bracket that can be removed easily by removing 2 wing bolts. Then the whole bracket & plate can be removed & the tabs that the wing bolts screw into are hidden.

There are some details of the front plate mounting on this page of the build https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/000003-16.html

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 11-11-2010).]

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2010 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car is absolutley fantastic. The only thing I would change is the wheels. It is so close to the original in appearance a correct looking set of reproduction wheels would complete the illusion.
VF1Skullangel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2010 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VF1SkullangelClick Here to visit VF1Skullangel's HomePageSend a Private Message to VF1SkullangelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats the best Lamborghini Miura Replica I have seen so far.
Kelvin Vivian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kelvin VivianSend a Private Message to Kelvin VivianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

The car is absolutley fantastic. The only thing I would change is the wheels. It is so close to the original in appearance a correct looking set of reproduction wheels would complete the illusion.

Ditto - fantastic build, beautiful car - the only thing I'd do is find some repro wheels! - kv

------------------

88 GT T-Top 5-spd #338 of 1252
87 SE 4-cyl 5-spd sunroof, spoiler, performance sound
85 2M4 base coupe T-Top 5-spd, rackless decklid, 15-in 88 GT rims, aero-conversion

aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+1 on different wheels.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If anyone wonders why we made so many custom parts & bought so few authentic parts on this car, this is why.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item35adc9379b

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item1c15f02ba8

Archie
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2010 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy Moly, the headlight is more than a lot of people have spent on their entire car!

Yikes!

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 11-12-2010).]

Panda

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PandaSend a Private Message to PandaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by War Hammer:

I just looked up several pictures of SVs and only 1 had wider arches in the back.

Just an observation.

Paul

I’m sorry if I insist, but the “SV” always had wider wheel arches, due to the fact that it was fitted with wider wheels and tyres. On the web and on several books you find this information:

“On the outside the most striking difference was the bulging of the rear wheel arches, they had to be widened by 13 cm because the Miura SV was fitted with the new Pirelli’s ..."
( http://www.topspeed.com/car...-miura-sv-ar616.html ).

You can even compare the two pictures below.

However, don’t get me wrong, please. I really like this replica, even the way it is! I just said what I would change, if it were mine.

As to what concerns the reason, why the owner didn’t buy a real one, it’s probably that the real thing is far too expensive. Of course, he may not have wanted to have a perfect copy. Anyway, he still put Lamborghini and Miura and Bertone badges on it, in order to make it look as real as possible.

Anyway, Archie and his guys really did a fantastic job!

Best regards

Panda

[This message has been edited by Panda (edited 11-17-2010).]

Panda

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PandaSend a Private Message to PandaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Panda

3 posts
Member since Aug 2010

Originally posted by Panda:

I’m sorry if I insist, but the “SV” always had wider wheel arches, due to the fact that it was fitted with wider wheels and tyres. On the web and on several books you find this information:

“On the outside the most striking difference was the bulging of the rear wheel arches, they had to be widened by 13 cm because the Miura SV was fitted with the new Pirelli’s ..."
( http://www.topspeed.com/car...-miura-sv-ar616.html ).

You can even compare the two pictures below.

However, don’t get me wrong, please. I really like this replica, even the way it is! I just said what I would change, if it were mine.

As to what concerns the reason, why the owner didn’t buy a real one, it’s probably that the real thing is far too expensive. Just look at the costs of spare parts ... .Of course, he may not have wanted to have a perfect copy. Anyway, he still put Lamborghini and Miura and Bertone badges on it, in order to make it look as real as possible.

Anyway, Archie and his guys really did a fantastic job!

Best regards

Panda

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

If anyone wonders why we made so many custom parts & bought so few authentic parts on this car, this is why.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item35adc9379b

Archie

Good golly Ms. Molly! Those grills are ridiculously over priced (they must be stamped Lamborghini or something?) otherwise, you guys did a great job in reproducing the same item.
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Got these pics & note from the owner today.

Well it is finally painted and back home . Here are a few pics and I will send some better ones when I figure out how to frame the pictures right with this digital camera.

Archie

Not that I don't absolutely love these pics, but are more on the way? Or any way to get high-res versions of these ones?

Great work Archie & Crew!
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Good golly Ms. Molly! Those grills are ridiculously over priced (they must be stamped Lamborghini or something?) otherwise, you guys did a great job in reproducing the same item.

How about a headlight cover for 3650 (<$$$$)?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item1c15f02ba8

Or a headlight bucket & lense

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item1c15f023d2

The correct wheels...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item1c147b209c

& what good are wheels without spinners.... JCWhitney supplied our spinners for $ 39.99 plus shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item483c73d13d

The owner of the car sent me these links & this note.....

The simple fact is that authenticity is expensive when talking about low volume exotic cars and replacement parts. This is why restoring a real Miura to original specs is so costly and why a restored SV commands a price in the order of a million dollars . Part of the fun and challenge of creating a replica is substituting affordable parts for expensive ones to create the appearance without the exorbitant cost .

Like the parking lights being from a Toyota Rav 4 rather than a Miura . Hard to tell the difference. No Miura originals available on EBay at the moment but in 09 you could get ONE for $449.99 plus 14.50 shipping and the price is much higher now, I am sure, given the falling value of the dollar .

The end result of this build is a beautiful Fiero based car that in many ways is not only faster but better than the original . No worries of the engine catching fire or the front end getting light as the gas gauge goes down and you are unable to steer at 100 mph ! Yet this hand built American rendition with Detroit chassis and engine is to my mind as beautiful and dimensionally correct as the original hand built Italian version .You and your crew did a fantastic job and the paint shop guys simply marvel at the quality of construction as did the mechanics down here who have seen it.

I agree, it would be no fun building a replica of any car if you're just going to use a bunch of real & expensive parts to try to make it look 100%.

Archie
GT-X

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"No worries of the engine catching fire."

That's funny! Not that it would but still.

~Tyler

Archie check your PMs

[This message has been edited by GT-X (edited 11-18-2010).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT-X:

That's funny! Not that it would but still.

~Tyler

Archie check your PMs

I'll tell you what's even funnier........

The references in his message to me about no worries of the engine catching fire or the front end getting light, were references to the Miura, not the Fiero. The gas tank in the Miura was up front, thus the reference to the front end getting light as you emptied the tank. And I think you'll find that fire problems with multi-carb setup on the Miura were what he was refering to.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 11-22-2010).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2010 05:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool trivia. I would think that the owner is quite happy pulling up to the gas pumps in his car. Wether it has inovative parts, from sources not intended to be Miura, she still sits right!

Edit: More pics please...

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 11-19-2010).]

kwagner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Edit: More pics please...

x2 Just saw the car back from paint, it looks fantastic!
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll tell you what's even funnier........

The references in his message to me about no worries of the engine catching fire or the front end getting light, were references to the Miura, not the Fiero. The gas tank in the Miura was up front, thus the reference to the front end getting light as you emptied the tank. And I think you'll find that fire problems with multi-carb setup on the Miura were what he was refering to.

Archie

Yup. Top Gear did a bit on the Miura and that was two problems they mentioned. Since it was carbureated, Hammond said everyone once in a while, it would just belch petrol on the manifolds and burn the entire car down.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some more updated pictures.

He's planning to try to get some more pictures this weekend.

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2010 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pictures are getting better

PFF
System Bot
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2010 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Most amazing work! Beautiful exterior with an immaculate interior.

Any high-res shots that you could e-mail for background??
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2010 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

Most amazing work! Beautiful exterior with an immaculate interior.

Any high-res shots that you could e-mail for background??

Yes I have these shots plus 13 more.

Archie
Bradley Jay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bradley JaySend a Private Message to Bradley JayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2010 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bet that burns a certain ex-member's ass. Archie, you deserve the recognition for the work your company put into this project.
aribop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aribopSend a Private Message to aribopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome project! Unbelievable craftsmanship. I love to see quality builds like this. The only problem is that I cannot see the pictures. Is anyone else having the same problem?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aribop:

Awesome project! Unbelievable craftsmanship. I love to see quality builds like this. The only problem is that I cannot see the pictures. Is anyone else having the same problem?

I host all my own pictures on my ftp with my Hosting people.

I've been using the same Host for my Web Site for nearly 10 years & Right now the web site says" Bandwidth Limit Exceeded. The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later. "

I've never had that happen before & don't know what I should do about it.

Archie
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aribop:

Yeah the pictures look like they were hosted on Archie's website and his bandwidth limit was exceeded.

I'm sure they'll be back soon. Maybe that jalopnik article caused WAY more traffic to his site than regular. Which is a good thing in a way!

edit: btw you have a PM Archie

------------------

-Aaron

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
I could have been an 85 SE V6.. never know

[This message has been edited by 1988holleyformula (edited 12-25-2010).]

kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2010 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Assuming you have a monthly plan, you should have your service restored Jan 1st.

Or you could contact your hosting provider and see how much they charge per gigabyte for over-the-limit bandwidth. Sometimes it's cost-prohibitive and you're better off just waiting. Alternatively, they may have the 'next plan up' from what you currently have that has enough extra bandwidth to last you until the new year.

[This message has been edited by kwagner (edited 12-26-2010).]

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got some new pics of the Miura today.

The weather in TX seems to be better than it is here.

Archie
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope those wheels aren't permanent!

I think the other ones were a little better...

some nice old school BBS wheels would look fantastic on there. Or some replicas of the original equipment... hmm car looks great though!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Before:

after:

I like the after pic. The other rims looked to modern.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

I like the after pic. The other rims looked to modern.

That's what he told me.

You can't get old style stamped steel wheels anymore. Even if you could they would be to narrow to use modern tires.

So he got these Classic style, period correct wheels from Boyd's. They are working on spinners for them too.

I like them.

Archie
25thCountach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 25thCountachSend a Private Message to 25thCountachEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do I spy a blue dingy thingy?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kwagner:

Do I spy a blue dingy thingy?

Oh No!!! Now people are going to start complaining that the underdash area doesn't look authentic.

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh No!!! Now people are going to start complaining that the underdash area doesn't look authentic.

Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This car is really a work of art. If Ferruccio Lamborghini were alive today and you took him for a ride in this car, he'd be grinning ear to ear.
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ha From what I've seen, there's two kinds of owners of BDT's: those that really want it, and those that don't know it's removable. I was wondering which he was
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 21 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock