Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Politics & Religion
  Carbon dioxide hysteria (Page 31)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 43 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Carbon dioxide hysteria by olejoedad
Started on: 12-09-2022 03:51 PM
Replies: 1696 (20284 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 04-25-2024 12:26 PM
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2023 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

Statistically, it's being argued that 2023 is the "game changer" that is going to demarcate the beginning of a radically warmer climate regime, unless human greenhouse gas emissions are seriously and rapidly curtailed. But I doubt that can actually be achieved, considering how much additional fossil fuel production is already in the works. So the climate "dice" are already being rolled, regardless of what people of my "ilk" like to think about it.

One of the more ironic possibilities is that continued, greenhouse gas-driven global warming will set off a chain of events that will shut down the Atlantic Ocean Meridional Current, which transports warm ocean water from the equatorial regions to the northern latitudes where it acts like a heating system for most of Europe. That could trigger the next Ice Age, almost before we could blink.

So, what you are saying is that it could get really warm or it could get really cold. That reminds me of something...what's the word? Oh yeah, weather!

Or, the earth is self regulating. (maybe it was created that way on purpose)

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 11-10-2023).]

IP: Logged
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2023 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is key to understanding comparisons between the current climate and the climate regimes of previous periods in the Earth's history.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...000494-30.html#p1198

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2023 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by

You are not just "way out in left field" on this... you're on Waveland Avenue!

It's only the more recent periods of Earth's history that are relevant. If you try to go too far back in time, you are looking at a planet with major differences in the configuration of its land masses and oceans, because of plate tectonics and continental drift... an atmosphere that had considerably more or less oxygen, depending on what period you're in.... periods before there were flowering plants and before there was any animal life on land, which would greatly affect the Carbon Cycle... periods when the carbon dioxide and other kinds of gases and aerosols in the atmosphere from volcanic activity was 10 or even 100 times more than anything that overlaps with the most recent million or so years that takes us back to our earliest human ancestors... yada yada yada. You can't go back all that far in Earth's history to do climate comparisons, because of "apples and oranges."

The Last Interglacial, from 130,000 to 115,000 years ago, is about as far back in the Earth's history as you can go, before you start encountering serious "apples and oranges."

You are not thinking about this from a human perspective. Scientists are not saying that there won't be a time in the future when the climate becomes much warmer (or colder) than what we're accustomed to. Scientists are saying that if we leave it up to Mother Nature, that kind of change is unlikely for several more thousands of years. But if we do not address the human-attributable greenhouse gas concerns, that kind of change will be upon us much sooner... very possibly by year 2100, if not before.

Statistically, it's being argued that 2023 is the "game changer" that is going to demarcate the beginning of a radically warmer climate regime, unless human greenhouse gas emissions are seriously and rapidly curtailed. But I doubt that can actually be achieved, considering how much additional fossil fuel production is already in the works. So the climate "dice" are already being rolled, regardless of what people of my "ilk" like to think about it.

One of the more ironic possibilities is that continued, greenhouse gas-driven global warming will set off a chain of events that will shut down the Atlantic Ocean Meridional Current, which transports warm ocean water from the equatorial regions to the northern latitudes where it acts like a heating system for most of Europe. That could trigger the next Ice Age, almost before we could blink.

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2023 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was thoughtful of cliffw to duplicate my "key" post from the previous page (page 30) of this thread, but I advise that readers use this link to see it in its original context:

It is a direct response to 82-T/A's remarks about the S-Curve or Sigmoid Curve, which is the part that cliffw has omitted.

The larger "SIZE=2" text characters that I used are infinitely more readable, and that's a "bennie" that readers can only benefit from by making the conscious choice to select this hypertext page link:

Originally posted by cliffw:

"Humanity just lived through the hottest 12 months in at least 125,000 years."

Just like they lived through the hottest 12 months since humanity has existed.

Just like they lived through the coldest 12 months since humanity has existed.

Are you afraid the weather will kill you?

Not everyone has lived through the last 12 months, and a fair number have died because of the direct or indirect consequences of the weather extremes experienced around the world in 2023.

The expectation of many scientists is that an even warmer climate regime, with even more prolonged, widespread and damaging droughts, drought-related wildfires, floods from extreme rainfall, and more punishing tropical storms and cyclones is what lies ahead, unless there are serious and rapid reductions in the human-attributable emissions of greenhouse gases.

I think it's unlikely that I myself will meet my end because of the direct or indirect impacts of extreme weather.

But I can think of some ways that it could happen. It could happen to me if there were a weather extreme, like an ARkStorm, that coincided with a major seismic event.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 11-11-2023).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2023 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not everyone has lived through the last 12 months, and a fair number have died because of the direct or indirect consequences of the weather extremes experienced around the world in 2023.

Damn. That happened before I was born. déjà vu ?

The expectation of many scientists is that an even warmer climate regime, with even more prolonged, widespread and damaging droughts, drought-related wildfires, floods from extreme rainfall, and more punishing tropical storms and cyclones is what lies ahead, unless there are serious and rapid reductions in the human-attributable emissions of greenhouse gases.

The same scientists whose predictions were all wrong ?

I think it's unlikely that I myself will meet my end because of the direct or indirect impacts of extreme weather.

But I can think of some ways that it could happen. It could happen to me if there were a weather extreme, like an ARkStorm, that coincided with a major seismic event.

Fail. You think what your sources of information tell you to think.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2023 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The same scientists whose predictions were all wrong?

Why do you keep saying that? Can you post one prediction that has been proven "all wrong"..? Maybe somebody or somebodies, back in the day, said that the Arctic Ocean was going to become ice free by year 2020? Something along those lines?

Was that a prediction from scientists? Was ti published as a prediction in a peer-reviewed research report? Or was it just something that came out in a news media report, without being attributed to any one scientist or group of scientists? Was it qualified... did they say the Arctic Ocean could become ice free by year 2020?

Of all the things that cliffw says about this topic, this is among the most puzzling to me.

What's he talking about?

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 11-11-2023).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2023 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The same scientists whose predictions were all wrong ?

Why do you keep saying that? Can you post one prediction that has been proven "all wrong"..? Maybe somebody or somebodies, back in the day, said that the Arctic Ocean was going to become ice free by year 2020? Something along those lines?

Where did all the predictions come from that were wrong ? Ahh, people like you and Al Gore. Can you post one prediction of one scientist which has been proven true.

Please, do not cite any who told the world that the Earth was flat.

Was that a prediction from scientists? Was ti published as a prediction in a peer-reviewed research report? Or was it just something that came out in a news media report, without being attributed to any one scientist or group of scientists?

Actually, it came from your mouth.

You can not even explain how Global Warming affects the different categories of hurricanes.

How does Global Warming make both droughts and floods ?

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 11-12-2023).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2023 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Exxon predicted global warming with remarkable accuracy years ago, study shows"

Catherine Clifford for CNBC; January 12, 2023.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/0...-accuracy-study.html

Not Joe Exxon, but scientists that were working for what is now the Exxon Mobil Corporation.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 11-12-2023).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2023 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rinselberg

16118 posts
Member since Mar 2010
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Over the past several decades, the Arctic has warmed four times faster than the rest of the world, a 2022 study showed. The fallout of that warming is mounting. For the first time on record, it rained at the summit of Greenland—roughly two miles above sea level during the summer of 2021. Earlier this week, scientists found that northern Greenland’s huge glaciers, which were long thought to be relatively stable, now pose potentially “dramatic” consequences for sea level rise.

"Thousands of Greenland’s glaciers are rapidly shrinking. Before-and-after photos reveal decades of change"
Rachel Ramirez for CNN; November 12, 2023.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/11...r-climate/index.html

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 11-12-2023).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2023 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Exxon study isn't new news, or a recent headline.

The scientists were curious then, as they should be now.

I wonder how the folks way back when came up with the name 'Greenland'?

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 11-12-2023).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2023 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

"Thousands of Greenland’s glaciers are rapidly shrinking. Before-and-after photos reveal decades of change"
Rachel Ramirez for CNN; November 12, 2023.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/11...r-climate/index.html

I want to know why Trump hates glaciers so much! It's shameful, I tell you! Freeking shameful, if you ask me.
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2023 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That post from Wichita only tells part of the story. There are scientific expectations—on top of what has already been observed—of increasing negative impacts on humans from continued global warming that are outside of the category of "more" or "more violent" tornadoes and hurricanes.

Wichita posted Freddy Toasted fact, and you counter with expectations ?

You, nor your scientists, have have ever come up with the reasoning of how Global Warming causes both floods, and droughts.

... the pronounced global warming scenarios from IPCC models?

The IPCC ? When did they get in on the grift ?

Try harder rinselberg. You spout scientific expectations, also projections, Try harder rinselberg. Could you throw in a few "possibilities" ? Perhaps even a "maybe" ?

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2023 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35931 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Over the past several decades, the Arctic has warmed four times faster than the rest of the world, a 2022 study showed. The fallout of that warming is mounting. For the first time on record, it rained at the summit of Greenland—roughly two miles above sea level during the summer of 2021. Earlier this week, scientists found that northern Greenland’s huge glaciers, which were long thought to be relatively stable, now pose potentially “dramatic” consequences for sea level rise.

My my.

Do you mean you do not know what you preach ?

Earlier this week, scientists found that northern Greenland’s huge glaciers, which were long thought to be relatively stable, now pose potentially “dramatic” consequences for sea level rise.

When you discovered Al Gore lied, you claimed land ice melting was the culprit which raises sea level. It is known California has widespread power shortages. Also, it is no secret your State's crop farmers complain about needing more water. The land ice / snow which melts to your more Eastern States, California lets enter the sea.

RAISING SEA LEVEL. Shame on California.

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2023 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[My remarks here got "zapped" when I mistakenly used the Edit function on what had been the contents of this message.]

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 11-26-2023).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2023 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some thoughts on the energy transition on a global scale.....

https://youtu.be/aTfwqvNuk44?si=P-YUE1rRvmpzMRk8
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2023 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

18074 posts
Member since May 2004
More information on the topic of Carbon Dioxide Hysteria.....
https://youtu.be/6Uu5CgGY_Js?si=rU5ts6kT0BOg23Qy
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2023 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

More information on the topic of Carbon Dioxide Hysteria.....
https://youtu.be/6Uu5CgGY_Js?si=rU5ts6kT0BOg23Qy

and

Some thoughts on the energy transition on a global scale.....

https://youtu.be/aTfwqvNuk44?si=P-YUE1rRvmpzMRk8

from OIL corpRATS AND THAT NUT-CON FAV J P also
EVER WONDER WHY THERE IS NO NONE ZIP NON OIL BACKED ANTI-WARMING data or sources ?
AND ONLY THE PROFITS AS RISK BOYS LYING HERE THAT YOU POST REPEATEDLY aka BIG OIL

LYING FOR PROFITS IS NOT GOOD
Gop DOGMA SURE
and
PAID PROPAGANDA

BUT SILL WRONG
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2023 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rayb, how is it that I have doubts that you watched the videos?
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2023 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rayb, how is it that I have doubts that you watched the videos?

NUT CONS THE BIG LIE

DOGMA AND GOP!!!!

NIXON AND HIS WATERGATES ... ALWAYS THE BIG LIE... TAPES!!! RECORDINGS OF BIG LIES!!!

HITLERY AND THE NUTCONS!!!
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2023 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So your version of truth is immutable?
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2023 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So your version of truth is immutable?

Haha... Joe, did you see you were responding to me? I was just being silly...
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2023 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Todd, I'm starting to worry about you.....
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2023 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

18074 posts
Member since May 2004
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2023 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We're all down with the Sigmoid Curve or S-Curve, but 4 billion years? Folks, if I had ever thought about it that way when I was in law school, you wouldn't even know my name or my face. For goodness sake, we're the United States of America. We know the difference between 'apples' and 'oranges.' And we don't 'diss' paleoclimatology. We embrace it!

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 11-15-2023).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2023 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It was good, wasn't it! I even got Nixon in there...
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2023 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

It was good, wasn't it! I even got Nixon in there...

I've sometimes wondered if rayb and uhlanstan have ever met.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2023 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I've sometimes wondered if rayb and uhlanstan have ever met.

Haha... I kind of miss Uhlanstan. He was really, really, really old... unfortunately, I think it's safe to say he's probably dead by this point. When he was on here, he was already in his mid 80s... and that was almost a decade ago.

He was borderline racist... and I think that's what ultimately got him banned. Not like whoever that guy was that we banned a year ago... what was that guy's name? It's totally slipping my mind... like, not trying to be funny or coy, I actually just forgot his name. Anyway, Uhlanstan wasn't exactly racist like that guy, he was just an old guy that didn't hold back and had stereotypes... which is different from someone who is outwardly offensive and racist.

But yeah... it was fun trying to understand sometimes what he said (Uhlanstan).
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2023 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

October 27

The first components for Dominion Energy's Coastal Virginia Offshore Wind Project arrived at Portsmouth Marine Terminal for the wind turbine project off the coast of Virginia Beach.

Cancellations have hit some of the other offshore wind projects that were slated for the Atlantic seaboard, but not this one—at least, not yet.

Virginia's Republican Governor Glenn Youngkin appears in this minute-long video segment to give a shout-out for this first Heavy Metal manifestation of what has been described as an "enormous" offshore wind energy project.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 11-15-2023).]

RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2023 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When you discovered Al Gore lied, you claimed land ice melting was the culprit which raises sea level. It is known California has widespread power shortages. Also, it is no secret your State's crop farmers complain about needing more water. The land ice / snow which melts to your more Eastern States, California lets enter the sea.

RAISING SEA LEVEL. Shame on California.

Do you know what a glacier is? -hint- it's not an iceberg. It's a frozen water mass, on land.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the rest. Are you referencing the Colorado river?
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2023 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RandomTask:
Do you know what a glacier is?

Yes.

Originally posted by RandomTask:
Are you referencing the Colorado river?

Yes.

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2023 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... it is known [that] California has widespread power shortages. Also, it is no secret [that California's] farmers complain [that they need] more water. The land ice / snow which melts to your more Eastern States, California lets enter the sea. RAISING SEA LEVEL. Shame on California.

I never said California was "unimpeachable." California could likely do with some changes so that more freshwater from rains and snow melts can be captured and stored, instead of flowing out to sea. That doesn't change the science of human attributable global warming.

It's an attitude that cliffw is expressing, that looking at the flaws in the way that California has been doing things somehow negates or undermines the science that identifies human greenhouse gas emissions as "El Jefe"—"The Boss"—in terms of explaining the recent and continuing global warming.

Where's the logic in that? Does cliffw think that all climate researchers all around the world are somehow beholden to the State of California?

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 11-26-2023).]

PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2023 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

.. an attitude that cliffw is expressing, that looking at the flaws in the way that California has been doing things somehow negates or undermines the science that identifies human greenhouse gas emissions as "El Jefe"—"The Boss"—in terms of explaining the recent and continuing global warming.

Not at all. Do you think your presence on the planet does not effect the pristine state of the Earth ?

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2023 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
population CON-TROLL

IS SOME HOW A DIRTY WORD
TO THE Gop [ abortion ?] so banned
just one more god bothered flaw in government

as the eazy cheap way to limit pollution is far less people
why do we need 8 billion or more soon ?

even birth control has had religions problems both in the home lands
and as part of foreign aid by the same GOD BOTHERED Gop
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2023 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 11-28-2023).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2023 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

Others are "supergluing" themselves to ignorance... like the creator(s) of this meme, and those who were—and perhaps still are—ignorant enough to "fall for it."

A "science lesson" from Bozo

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 11-28-2023).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2023 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"2 degrees, 40 feet: Scientists who study Earth’s ice say we could be committed to disastrous sea level rise"

A new report details that ice sheets are melting quicker than expected and that the world will need to ramp up its climate efforts to avert disastrous sea level rise.

Evan Bush for NBC News; November 16, 2023.
https://www.nbcnews.com/sci...evel-rise-rcna124981

EXCERPT

In the [new report from the International Cryosphere Climate Initiative], the scientists argue a rise in global temperatures of 2 degrees Celsius [above the preindustrial baseline] would force many to flee coastal communities.

“We’re displacing millions of people with the decisions being made now,” said report author Julie Brigham-Grette, a geosciences professor at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.

More than 60 scientists contributed to the report. Many are experts in their specialties, and some have worked on past reports for the U.N.’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the world’s leading body on assessing the climate crisis.

In the IPCC’s 2021 report, scientists estimated that sea level will rise about 0.9 to 3.3 feet (0.28 to 1.01 meters) by 2100, but also said those numbers didn’t factor in uncertainties around ice sheets like the ones scientists have been probing more deeply in the past few years.

New studies suggest that melting ice sheets are a greater cause for concern than the IPCC had considered.

“Many ice sheet scientists now believe that by 2°C, nearly all of Greenland, much of West Antarctica, and even vulnerable portions of East Antarctica will be triggered to very long-term, inexorable sea-level rise, even if air temperatures later decrease,” the new ICCI report says.

The new report also outlines how the declining mass of mountain glaciers threatens hydropower supplies and endangers drinking water sources, how [thawing] permafrost could intensify warming by releasing massive amounts of methane, and how polar waters are becoming increasingly acidified [by absorbing human CO2 emissions], which threatens the survival of shell-building creatures like krill and crab.

But there's one "guy" that's anticipating this "monster" sea level rise with great pleasure:
Click to show

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 12-05-2023).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2023 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 12-07-2023).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2023 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"2 degrees, 40 feet: Scientists who study Earth’s ice say we could be committed to disastrous sea level rise"

Again ? We are 1/4 of the way to the end of century since this grift started. Sea levels have not changed. Have you been told about any cities losing elevation from sea level ?

The Global Warming unicorn farts are starting to smell bad. Why didn't you tell us about all the wind farms that have been canceled ? Why didn't you tell us that to recharge an EV battery costs the equivalent of $17.00 per gallon for a refill on an ICE vehicle ? Why didn't you tell us about the 4,500 car dealers who wrote Biden saying the EV vehicles are piling up on their lots because no one wants to buy them ? Why didn't you tell us that the $750 million that Biden included in the infrastructure Bill, two years ago, to purchase charging stations has not installed even one charging station. Why didn't you tell us that Congressional democrats are signing Bills to kill Biden's EV mandate for EV vehicles ?

You have some 'splaining to do !
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2023 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Again ? We are 1/4 of the way to the end of century since this grift started. Sea levels have not changed. Have you been told about any cities losing elevation from sea level ?

• Global average sea level has risen 8–9 inches (21–24 centimeters) since 1880.

• In 2022, global average sea level set a new record high—101.2 mm (4 inches) above 1993 levels.

• The rate of global sea level rise is accelerating: it has more than doubled from 0.06 inches (1.4 millimeters) per year throughout most of the twentieth century to 0.14 inches (3.6 millimeters) per year from 2006–2015.

• In many locations along the U.S. coastline, the rate of local sea level rise is greater than the global average due to land processes like erosion, oil and groundwater pumping, and subsidence.

• High-tide flooding is now 300% to more than 900% more frequent than it was 50 years ago.

• If we are able to significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions, U.S. sea level in 2100 is projected to be around 0.6 meters (2 feet) higher on average than it was in 2000.

• On a pathway with high greenhouse gas emissions and rapid ice sheet collapse, models project that average sea level rise for the contiguous United States could be 2.2 meters (7.2 feet) by 2100 and 3.9 meters (13 feet) by 2150.

NOAA Climate Change: Global Sea Level
April 19, 2022.
https://www.climate.gov/new...nge-global-sea-level

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 12-07-2023).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2023 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rinselberg

16118 posts
Member since Mar 2010
Offshore wind energy development for the Atlantic seaboard has taken some big "hits" recently—but not a complete wipeout.

Long Island slated to "plug in" to first offshore wind energy by the end of 2023—now just 3 weeks away.
November 1, 2023.
https://www.fox61.com/artic...80-86e1-550398ba03f9

"Onshore work begins for Coastal Virginia Offshore Wind project"
December 5, 2023.
https://www.wtkr.com/onshor...ffshore-wind-project
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 43 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock