Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Politics & Religion
  Carbon dioxide hysteria (Page 15)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 43 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Carbon dioxide hysteria by olejoedad
Started on: 12-09-2022 03:51 PM
Replies: 1696 (20257 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 04-25-2024 12:26 PM
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2023 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:
I have to wonder. Do you know what ROI means ?

Originally posted by rinselberg:
Yes.

I still have to wonder. What do you think it means ?
IP: Logged
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2023 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do you think I think it means?
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2023 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you don't know what it means, ask anyone. I will tell you.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 05-01-2023).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2023 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Random Ornithological Insurrection

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2023 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2023 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh my, !

Do you know what ROI means ?

Yes.

I still have to wonder. What do you think it means ?

If you don't know what it means, ask anyone. I will tell you.

Did rinselberg, the Champion of GloBull Warming ever answer the question ?

rinselberg's reply ...

Right on cue, another example of how the "Memes and Cartoons" people limit their contemplation of the world to peering upon it as if they were squinting to see into a darkened room through a keyhole, from the other side of the door. "Dumb it down, and make it small enough for a cartoon."

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 05-02-2023).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2023 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I created the "Electric Viking Wants You!" poster—a virtual poster—the vibe that permeated the act of creation was mirthful.

It's a fair assessment of this Sam Evans bloke, who has a blog and a YouTube channel and is clearly very enthusiastic about what he considers to be this nascent but steadily accelerating "EV revolution" in road vehicles.

It is not an effort on my part to represent informed discourse about the pros and cons of Electric Vehicles and road traffic electrification.

It's conceived as a lark or jest... a jape or a caper... or even a prank.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 05-02-2023).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2023 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When I created the "Electric Viking Wants You!" poster—a virtual poster— ... It's conceived as a lark or jest... a jape or a caper... or even a prank.

We know. Just like a meme, .

You still won't answer the question. I think I know why.

I am surprised your GloBull Warming Gods have not figured it out.

Thanks rinselberg ! I have figured out why.

They and you pretend to not know how to reduce CO2 emissions into the atmosphere by 50%. It would end the GloBull Warming Grift.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2023 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"New York becomes the first state to ban natural gas stoves [kitchen range tops and ovens] and furnaces in most new buildings"
Rachel Ramirez and Ella Nilsen for CNN; May 3, 2023.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05...n-climate/index.html

New York State follows a precedent set by San Francisco, Berkeley and also New York City.

This is a 5-minute "read".

"Kick methane in the Aspercreme"

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 05-03-2023).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2023 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"New York becomes the first state to ban natural gas stoves [kitchen range tops and ovens] and furnaces in most new buildings"
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05...n-climate/index.html

New York State follows a precedent set by San Francisco, Berkeley and also New York City.

This is a 5-minute "read".

"Kick methane in the Aspercreme"

And when these stories first came up, all the Leftists said, "It's just an idea, no one would really do that. You are just overreacting. You are a conspiracy theorist. I'll bet you believe all those Hunter Biden stories, too."
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2023 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well so far, these laws are not retroactive. It's not as if there is a squad of federal or state agents getting ready to "take down" anyone's gas-fired kitchen range or oven. That's what a lot of the "chatter" and memes and cartoons were about.

I'm not surprised that they're going after new buildings in this way. I expected it.

PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2023 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well so far, this law-making is not retroactive. It's not as if there is a squad of federal or state agents anywhere getting ready to "take down" anyone's gas-fired kitchen range or oven. That's what a lot of the "chatter" and memes and cartoons were about.

I'm not surprised that they're going after new buildings in this way. I expected it.

The journey of a thousand footsteps begins with a ban of gasoline powered cars.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2023 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19461 posts
Member since Mar 2009
"If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet." - G. Harrison
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2023 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
  1. "Australia closes oldest coal power plant in pivot to renewables"
  2. "Squadron Energy officially opens Bango Wind Farm, powering 144,000 homes"
  3. "Hazelwood battery charges up for first time at site of former coal generator"

That's how this latest "hits parade" from the Electric Viking starts. With news from Australia.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2023 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow ! I knew you was envious of Julia. I didn't realize how much. Do you really want to live a life like Julia ?

In his 2012 re-election campaign, President Barack Obama implemented what would become a highly controversial political ad called “The Life of Julia.” This ad followed the life of a fictional person named Julia – whose life was demonstrated to be better as a result of the welfare state programs of the Obama administration. Reaction to the campaign ad was so negative that it was quickly removed from President Obama’s official website, and to this day cannot be found there. Staunch resistance to the ad stemmed from the accusation that it glorified the idea of a welfare state and illustrated what a life without genuine purpose or meaning would look like. In Julia’s world, the state was all that mattered, and all of her life’s decisions were supposed to support the legacy and longevity of the state – at the expense of her natural, God-given liberties and her individuality.

Do you want, perhaps need, government to take care of you from cradle to grave ?

Real men can provide for themselves, their family, and their community.

To be sure you understand, even your CNN gods think Obama’s ‘Life of Julia’ is the wrong vision for America.

Julia, a cartoon character, from age 3 to age 67 and explains how Obama’s policies, from Head Start to Obamacare to mandated contraception coverage to Medicare reform, would provide Julia with a better life than Mitt Romney or Paul Ryan could.

Julia is not your typical all-American girl, but an obviously independent, yuppie liberal woman. She goes to public school, graduates college, and becomes a Web designer. She is able to pursue her career because, at age 27, “her health insurance is required to cover birth control and preventive care, letting Julia focus on her work rather than worry about her health.”

At age 31 she “decides to have a child,” with no mention of a father or husband. Her son Zachary heads off to a Race to the Top funded public school, while Julia goes on to start her own Web business. She retires at age 67 with Social Security and Medicare supporting her financially and spends her later years volunteering in a community garden.

Is rinseberg a user name for "Pajama Boy" ?

Pajama Boy, An Insufferable Man-Child

Pajama Boy is wearing pajamas—a zip-up onesie in classic Lamar Alexander plaid—and drinking hot chocolate. He is in his twenties, sporting hipster glasses he could have bought at Warby Parker and an expression of self-satisfied ironic amusement.

Sure enough, the fun begins.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2023 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know a sure fire way to mitigate half of your Demon CO2 from the atmosphere. If you want to hear it, just ask.

So... what's the secret? What's the trick..? All this suspense is making me sick!
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2023 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So... what's the secret? What's the trick..? All this suspense is making me sick!

First things first. I want to be sure you understand.

What does ROI mean ?
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2023 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

First things first. I want to be sure you understand. What does ROI mean?

It means Return On Investment. And I did not have to look it up.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2023 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It means Return On Investment. And I did not have to look it up.

Correct. It is important that you know.

I feel that I must apologize to you. I meant to post a comical quip to something you said. What I posted now sounds mean.

It is honest of you to admit you are a tool.

We are all tools. Some for good, some for bad. Perhaps well intentioned, maybe not. I am a tool box full of tools.

Next questions.

How much are you willing to invest to cut GloBull Warming in half. In money, and also in sacrifice ? I think you can see how important this question is.

What kind of investment are you willing to risk, in cash and also in sacrifice, to achieve what kind of degree (pun intended) of success ?
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2023 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How much are you willing to invest to cut GloBull Warming in half? In money, and also in sacrifice?I think you can see how important this question is. What kind of investment are you willing to risk, in cash and also in sacrifice, to achieve what kind of degree (pun intended) of success?

I see a doorway in front of me. The door is swung closed. I can't see what is behind the door, but I think it's the person of Christopher Warren Monckton, the 3rd Viscount Monckton of Brenchley, often referenced with more brevity as "Lord Monckton".

So behind the door, Lord Monckton and his "50 to 1 Project", along with others who have aligned themselves with his thinking on this.

I don't think there are sensible answers to this line of questioning from "cliffw", about investment and sacrifice on a personal (my person) basis.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2023 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't think there are sensible answers to this line of questioning from "cliffw", about investment and sacrifice on a personal (my person) basis.

Oh course not. I expected as little from you. That's a despicable attitude from you. I would like to say it makes no matter to me, except, your fingers have already taken 50 trillion dollars from my wallet.

My, the GloBull Warming Gawds are omnipresent. It seems as if they have been monitoring our conversation. I got this e-mail which was meant for you.

rinselberg, STFU ! You are making all of the GloBull Warming Grifters look bad !

Console yourself rinselberg. You are no worse than the assistant United States Energy Secretary.

What a co ink-y-dinky. Take a look peek at this. From yesterday !

Why are you championing a FARCE ?

PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2023 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Abstract

Decisions about how and when to decarbonize the global energy system are highly influenced by estimates of the likely cost.

Most energy-economy models have produced energy transition scenarios that overestimate costs due to underestimating renewable energy cost improvements and deployment rates. This paper generates probabilistic cost forecasts of energy technologies using a method that has been statistically validated on data for more than 50 technologies.

Using this approach to estimate future energy system costs under three scenarios, we find that compared to continuing with a fossil fuel-based system, a rapid green energy transition is likely to result in trillions of net savings. Hence, even without accounting for climate damages or climate policy co-benefits, transitioning to a net-zero energy system by 2050 is likely to be economically beneficial.

Updating models and expectations about transition costs could dramatically accelerate the decarbonization of global energy systems.

Roadmap

• Empirically validated probabilistic forecasts of energy technology costs
  • Future energy system costs are estimated for three different scenarios
  • A rapid green energy transition will likely result in trillions of net savings
  • Energy models should be updated to reflect high probability of low-cost renewables

"Empirically grounded technology forecasts and the energy transition"
Rupert Way, Matthew C. Ives, Penny Mealy and J. Doyne Farmer for Joule; September 2022.
https://www.sciencedirect.c...ii/S254243512200410X

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 05-05-2023).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2023 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Abstract

As expected.

Do you even know what the word "Abstract" means ? "crazy"

Is that the best that you can do, ?????

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 05-05-2023).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2023 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35921 posts
Member since Jun 2003
rinselberg , someone should tell you.

You are up your eyeballs in GloBull Warming Quicksand.

Remember. The Global Warming gawds told you to STFU. You are embarrassing them !
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2023 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sam Evans is all agog about the new generation of large, grid-connected battery installations in the United Kingdom and Australia. These super-sized batteries will store surplus electricity from wind turbines during the diurnal (daily) hours of favorable winds, and release the stored electricity to the grid as needed during the hours when the winds are suboptimal and wind energy generation is diminished. He emphasizes wind energy, but solar energy could also be evened out over every 24-hour cycle by these same battery systems.

Just past the 1-minute mark, the "Electric Viking" talks about the experts at Oxford University and their assessment that the world's energy costs would be reduced by $10 trillion under a complete transition to renewable energy by 2050, and reduced by $20 trillion under a complete transition to renewable energy by 2040.

The video is under 6 minutes, which is on the short side for a "Viking".
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2023 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My, oh my. You are an obstinate cuss.

Do you not realize you are building your legacy ?

Do you really want to go down in history as being on the wrong side of pollution ?

Do you really want to forever be known as the man who advocated polluting the planet to save the world ?
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2023 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"The Electric Viking Is My Co-Pilot"

rinselberg's much anticipated autobiography will be published by Random House. It's expected to start arriving at retailers before the end of 3Q 2023.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 05-06-2023).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2023 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rinselberg

16118 posts
Member since Mar 2010

UCLA's "SeaChange" project uses ocean water and electricity to trap carbon dioxide from the atmosphere into solid material, which can [also] produce hydrogen "green energy." Dante Simonetti, associate director of the UCLA Institute of Carbon Management, joins KCAL News Mornings to discuss the technology.

KCAL News; April 13, 2023.
Video report is 3 minutes.

"UCLA Institute for Carbon Management to Unveil Seawater-based Carbon Removal Pilot Systems in Los Angeles and Singapore"

"SeaChange" technology [would] utilize oceans to remove billions of metric tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

UCLA Samueli School of Engineering; October 6, 2022.
https://samueli.ucla.edu/uc...geles-and-singapore/

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2023 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rinselberg

16118 posts
Member since Mar 2010

A vast power grid on the seabed of the central North Sea is being planned as part of a £20bn project to power oil and gas platforms with green electricity.

Cerulean Winds won the rights to develop projects aimed at reducing the use of gas by offshore installations. It aims to link more than 400 offshore turbines with the high voltage cables. The company says the plan will involve 10,000 jobs, many of which could be in the supply chain in Scotland.

It hopes to have the infrastructure in place by 2028. . . .

"Seabed Power Grid to link North Sea wind turbines"

BBC News; May 4, 2023.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-65479765

"Doling out Green New Deal propaganda, one puff piece at a time"

randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2023 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2023 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Copper, lithium, cobalt and nickel aren't being burned.
PFF
System Bot
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2023 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

It is mined using child slave labor. I'd like to propose that that is worse than burning coal, which is still needed to make the power for the batteries.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2023 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It [cobalt] is mined using child slave labor. I'd like to propose that [this] is worse than burning coal, which is still needed to make the power for the batteries.

This is such a thoughtful and carefully researched observation—so "on point" in its cogency and relevance—that I've been energized—too funny, eh?—to pursue another act of online research. You won't believe what I just discovered about cobalt!

"Cobalt Myth Mechanics" is the title that was given to the 14th issue of Eye Magazine. About 150 copies are known to have circulated after it was published in 1986 by the New York City-based Eye Publications (of Brooklyn).

Cobalt Myth Mechanics featured contributions from Robert Atkins, Perry Bard, Jo Babcock, Roger Boyce, Lee Roy Champagne, Vincent Desiderio, Nancy Evans, Tom Finkelpearl, Karen Finley, Jeff Goodman, David Hammons, C K Kuebel, Dona Ann McAdams, Tom Sarrantonio, Lori Seid, Janice Yudell and John Zax.

Karen Finley's contribution deserves special notice. Titled "I'm an Ass Man", it's documented online at Printed Matter, Inc.

This unique piece by Karen Finley is a photocopy with colored pencil on paper. The typed narrative, an excerpt from Finley’s “I’m an Ass Man” spoken word piece, describes the inner monologue of a character whose fascination with women’s bodies quickly turns dark. Corrections to the narrative are made by the artist in colored pencil.

This artwork is being curated by the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) at 11 West 53 Street, Manhattan. Anyone wishing to view this art is advised to call in advance, as these works are not always on public display.

I didn't want to copy any images of this art, but anyone can see some of it online by using the Hypertext Transfer Protocol or 'http" links that I have provided herein. These, as everyone is doubtless well aware, are the text that is highlighted using the #ORANGE text color tag. Like this.

Cobalt—it's like "everywhere!"

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 05-07-2023).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2023 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"The Electric Viking Is My Co-Pilot"

Perhaps you should choose a better Grifter than that.

I must say, "The Electric Viking" is an apt description. Considering Vikings were know for plundering, looting, and barbaric character.

UCLA project explores carbon capture through ocean water

Are you serious, ?

I thought I was being a smart azz. It seems you really do want to pollute the planet thinking you are saving the world.

CO2 being absorbed by the oceans create carbonic acidification !

carbon dioxide being absorbed by the ocean dissolves in seawater as carbonic acid. This process is known as ocean acidification, and it’s literally causing a sea change that is threatening the fundamental chemical balance of ocean and coastal waters from pole to pole. Increasingly, corrosive waters are making it difficult for fragile marine life to build their protective shells and skeletons.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Is rinselberg your mentor ? Do you know haw many cars are in the world ? Even the USA, and Canada ? Where are all these batteries going to go when they deplete. Every ten years.

rinselberg's much anticipated autobiography will be published by Random House. It's expected to start arriving at retailers before the end of 3Q 2023.

Where will we find it ? The humor section ? The mystery section ? Or the science fiction section ?
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2023 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CO2 being absorbed by the oceans create carbonic acidification...

Well... "cliffw" has overlooked something:

Working with industry leaders, national agencies and government leadership, the two pilot plants will intake seawater, which holds nearly 150 times more carbon dioxide than air, and leverage the SeaChange technology to convert dissolved carbon dioxide, calcium and magnesium into solid limestone and brucite (the mineral form of magnesium hydroxide) — in a manner similar to how some marine organisms form seashells. The alkalinized outgoing seawater, depleted of CO2, is then able to absorb more of the greenhouse gas just like a sponge, rinsing and repeating the same process. The ready-to-scale method also yields hydrogen gas as a co-product, which can be used as a clean fuel.

It's a process that would remove CO2 from the atmosphere by chemically converting it into limestone.

It's similar to what "Mother Nature" has been doing for hundreds of millions of years, with the various (and small) marine organisms that metabolize carbon dioxide to grow shell material. Uncountable numbers of these organisms. The organisms die and the shell material—calcium carbonate—is deposited as sediment at the bottom of lakes and oceans and is eventually transformed by the weight of the same kind of sediment that is deposited on top of it. It becomes limestone.

This SeaChange project is a way to use chemistry to turn atmospheric carbon dioxide into limestone but to do it way faster than these natural, biological processes that I've just described... Mother Nature, as it were.

What to do with the limestone? Their idea is to discard it at the bottom of the ocean. I guess (maybe) some of it could be used in other ways. To make concrete? I may review what's available and have more to say about it. I think that their thinking is that it is possible to remove "gi-normous" and climate mitigation-significant amounts of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere with this SeaChange process, and not ever have to be concerned about where to discard this artificial limestone or limestone-like material. It would remain inert at the bottom of the ocean(s) where it would be discarded. It wouldn't release the carbon that's in it back into the sea as carbon dioxide.

Theoretically, this could be done for almost forever in human terms. It could be an important part of climate mitigation until other changes in the way that humans do "human" would make it no longer necessary.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2023 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The answer is simple. China is the world's largest coal producer and although Australia produces the most lithium, it is mined by Tianqi, which is (you guessed it) Chinese.

Now, if the US cuts coal production and demands electric cars, who do you suppose benefits?

China only has to worry about Russia now, right? Except that Russia is a little busy right now.

Who can tell me when all of this changed? Bueller, Bueller, Biden?
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2023 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19461 posts
Member since Mar 2009
Of course none of that means anything, because the Biden family doesn't get any money from China, right? Right?
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2023 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19461 posts
Member since Mar 2009
And the Bidens don't have anything to do with Russia's foe or any Ukrainian energy companies. I know that because I heard it on CNN and MSNBC.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2023 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I'm looking at this bar graph of the top five coal-producing nations. The data is from year 2021. China, the number one coal producing nation, was producing significantly more coal (in 2021) than the next four coal-producing nations combined; namely, India, Indonesia, the U.S. and Australia.

It may not look exactly the same in 2023, but I see a complete disconnect in what "williegoat" is insinuating, about China being the beneficiary of all of the climate mitigation ideas and efforts that are aimed at reducing the use of coal (and other fossil fuels) for energy in the U.S. and other nations around the world.

If China continues to maintain and even enlarge the use of coal for energy in China and other nations, that obviously works against these "Green New Deal"-like ideas that have caught my fancy, like EVs, wind energy, solar and the like.

There will be increasing pressure on China to fall into line and not keep enlarging the use of coal for energy. Some of it will come from within China, even despite the authoritarian mode of their governance and society. There are people in China that are well aware of the greenhouse effect and its connection with coal-fired power plants. Some of them have published research about it, even with the support of some of China's own universities.

I don't see any hope whatsoever of influencing China on coal unless the U.S. and other nations are aggressive in this climate mitigation or Green New Deal-like arena.

I guess it's like the aspirational motto that has sometimes appeared on some of the Major League Baseball team websites: "World Champions [in climate mitigation], or Die Trying..."

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 05-07-2023).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2023 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It makes sense when you realize that it has nothing to do with the environment. It is all about the money. The Left has been played like a cheap erhu.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 43 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock