Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  The Official History of JScott1's PROUD 1, or Meet Chop Top #14 (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 23 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Official History of JScott1's PROUD 1, or Meet Chop Top #14 by jscott1
Started on: 07-29-2004 11:12 PM
Replies: 911 (67381 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 05-17-2020 12:44 AM
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2004 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think so !

We ALL know there can be only one GBCT ! And Joel sold it out

I hear Gray is IN this year !!!

------------------

98 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. only one in Austin Texas !

IP: Logged
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2004 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
True there is only one GREAT blue chop top...

I went to get my parking decal at work, (old one was ruined removing from old windshield) I couldn't figure out what to put for color...there wasn't enough room for Red/Black/White/Silver/Maroon

Revin, I don't know about Gray...it's not the most exciting color...But it looks good on yours!

It's no secret the GBCT was the inspiration for my car, but I'm still not sure about the color, because it looks so good in all colors:

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 10-03-2004).]

exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2004 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Black with chrome rims is a pretty hot combination !

Jscott, when we gonna get those daypics with the wing ??

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2004 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Jscott, when we gonna get those daypics with the wing ??

Sorry I didn't get home today until after dark. These short fall days are really a bummer.

Yesterday was just a test fit; tonight I got the wing bolted down nice and tight. When you push the wing back three inches you have to make some oversized holes underneath to be able to get to the bolts. And I also hooked up a Rodney Dickman strut to hold up the decklid. I know I could adjust the stock spring, but if I screw that up I could break my custom rear window and I would be in tears.

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2004 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Well as nice as the Chop Top looks without the wing, I think it looks better with one...especially when it's raised and pushed back and additional 3 inches.

I 'somewhat' agree..
I don't think there will be one going on mine unless it is a custom 'one-off' wing that I do...

Look's bad-arse johnathan!! and I think Revin might be right for once anyways..
I think Charcoal grey would rule!

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2004 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Okay I have decided to take Curley's advice and not rush off to the paint booth and solicit ideas for the chop top...

Also Revin thinks I need more scoops so although I don't really need more scoops, I'm asking for ideas on a hood scoop. I have a set of T/A vents but even though the original Proud-1 had them I'm not a big fan of them, (they look like they are backwards because they are). The Turbo Sunbird vents are nice, and Grand Prix vents are nice if you can find them in the yard. The only thing is they must be functional, (I hate fake scoops), and not compromise the forward trunk area in any way. But other than that let me hear your ideas.

- Jonathan

Oh and Tony sorry I never did get that daylight picture, she's in the garage on stands. I need to replace the rack bushing, (remember it's an 88) and I'm 90% certain I'm going to put in drop srpings and new shocks before it comes off the stands.

------------------

1988 GT (Firebird Interior),1988 Fastback (4.9 Chop-top #1 of 1), 1984 Indy...Firebird Interior Installation Website

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 10-03-2004).]

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2004 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree w/ Curley and Revin...

Keep us posted!

Steve

------------------

Custom-Shaved HandBuilt!!
FIRST-EVER-- CHOPTOP--WIDEBODY GT!!
4.9L-V8--5-Speed starting swap soon

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2004 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wing look great! So have you'd picked out any wheels yet? 17/18 or 18/19 combos? I went to a car show this weekend and there were some nice rims.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2004 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curley, I think that the 18/19 wheel combo looks best. Not that your 19/20 isn't awesome, but I need a little more rubber than that based on the condition of the roads around here.

The first thing I'm trying to do is get the body ready for paint. Based on the overwhelming response to my call for hood scoops, mayber I will just forget the whole idea.

I spent an hour or so sanding the nose. That was fun, I have red dust all over the place now. And my Red GT which is supposed to be this year's show car is sitting out on the driveway relagated to daily driver duty. The problem with having three Fieros and a two car garage, (I'm not counting the 5 Fieros out back).

Anyway I should start getting the GT ready for the Ruckus III next weekend. I discovered why they call the 1/4 windows sail panels as one of mine sailed off on the Eastex Expressway. I hope I get the replacements by friday but I'm not holding my breath.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2004 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ummm...no one didn't give any responses? Maybe they are log'd off this weekend? Well if they won't you know I'll help out on some suggestion!

1. Functional Hood vents. Raised or flat? It will add some "style" to the flat hood.
2. Call Doug at Fiero Warehouse and get those 1/2 cut front spoilers. Shape them the way you want them shaped. Example is maybe a downward slope frm the end of the mouth opening of stock nose. Adding the PIAA 4000?
3. Mold some wing tips onto the wing.
4. IRM rocker reshaping? Slant the curviture back 2-3"?

There are a tons of different item to choose from since your car is chop'd already. Yes, it may take some time, but in the long run you won't br saying , "I shoulda, woulda, coulda."

PM me for more details. I've been gone for several day here.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2004 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Alternative hood vents for your chop?

Add a lip to them may bring them out somewhat?

Some concept drawings to think about?

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 10-04-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2004 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Ummm...no one didn't give any responses?

I thought I responded... But, I forgot I did'nt count around here anymore!

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2004 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i've always liked green - but it'd look pretty sweet with that green and a clear cote tinted a little darker ontop.. it exagerates curves.. looks real sharp

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post10-05-2004 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car looks exotic enough get a unusual modern color from a late model car that green only fits a lambo meurciallago (spelling ).
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2004 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Master Tuner Akimoto:

The car looks exotic enough get a unusual modern color from a late model car that green only fits a lambo meurciallago (spelling ).

or the diablo from NeedForSpeed

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2004 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

I thought I responded...

Steve, by responses I meant suggestions... Curley has given me so many that my head is spinning from all the options. thanks

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2004 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jon,
You know it all comes down to "what YOU want" !
You have proven yourself with the mods for your fieros and they ALL are very cool ( firebird dash, little ant., T-Tops, etc.)
Just do what YOU feel and I KNOW it will be a head turner like everything else you have done!
calm down and "JUST DO IT"

Oh and as for paint.....remember the final jstricker has in gold.....I bet that would be a sweet color for the chop
Besides Dark Gray is a FAST color lol

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2004 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Steve, by responses I meant suggestions... Curley has given me so many that my head is spinning from all the options. thanks

Curly is a great source of ideas !

This guys has so many bad a** ideas floating around in that head of his it is ridiculous. Just look at the Silver chop top and the Redux,...and if you guys think those ideas of his are hot, just wait........ you ain't seen nothing yet !

Jscott glad u held up on the paint cause there are a lot of little things u can do to take even a chop a few notches higher.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 10-05-2004).]

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2004 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20030204-1-021855.html

even though you've picked a wing here's mine anyway. don't have a recent pic but it looks better now that i've worked out the tilt and matched the color to the car.

even though it's the color i want mine to be (actually the color it is but it needs a repaint from my experiments), and chester has one the same color 50mls away from me, i'd say black. with a skitime rear center vent (like the one kahines sells), and a similar vent made to match in front. no one makes that yet. i'm just hoping if i keep mentioning it someone might make it. and a sage front extension.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well.....how is the choptop doing?

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Okay I have decided to take Curley's advice and not rush off to the paint booth and solicit ideas for the chop top...

Also Revin thinks I need more scoops so although I don't really need more scoops, I'm asking for ideas on a hood scoop. I have a set of T/A vents but even though the original Proud-1 had them I'm not a big fan of them, (they look like they are backwards because they are). The Turbo Sunbird vents are nice, and Grand Prix vents are nice if you can find them in the yard. The only thing is they must be functional, (I hate fake scoops), and not compromise the forward trunk area in any way. But other than that let me hear your ideas.

- Jonathan

I have been thinking about selling my hood with the sunbird vents on it, and trying a different hood vent. I haven't made up my mind yet, though. Do you remember seeing it at Wheatstock?

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Well.....how is the choptop doing?

I made some progress on the nose... I have the basic shape roughed out for my "Lawrence/Skitime" chin spoiler. I have also done a lot of sanding on the nose. There is red dust everywhere.

I think I'm going to do the rest of the sanding outdoors. Still no daylight pictures of the spoiler, but the car is outside now so maybe tomorrow.

zMacK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zMacKSend a Private Message to zMacKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think its perfect except fot the stock hood
it needs a big backwards scoop of somekind...... to vent the preasure under the hood, at its new high speed capabilitys
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Mack,

I have been shopping mentally for a hood vent and I haven't decided what I want yet. I should have just gotten the Warber Hood while I was up at Archie's.

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just one note of caution... The upside-down chin spoiler MAY cause overheating problems. While driving back from the 20th show, one of the guys in out pack had the same spoiler. He installed it just before leaving Florida. He noticed the motor running hotter then before. He attributed the higher tempertures to the way the center of the "opening" in now pointing downward and could have been pushing the air under the car verses through the radiator. If memory serves me correctly, he later either shortened that area or installed a screw plate above it to lift it thereby making it more flat. I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue but I just wanted to pass this info along.

Lookin' good,

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 20th Anniversary Show @ Pontiac, Mich - 7/2003
Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 8th Annual Fiero Fun Weekend @ Daytona - 3/2004

Fiero5

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree, this thread just rocks!
Look forward to the next pics.

Steve

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everyone, thanks for the comments.

Roy regarding the chin spoiler I don't think it will be a problem. I think the people that have cooling problems due to airflow issues have marginal cooling systems to begin with. I have an Archie 4-core radiator, a brand new waterpump, an oil cooler in the rocker scoop and an outboard transmission cooler.

None of the airdams under my car are presently configured properly under the car, (I just slapped on that nose before I took it to Canada); However it ran 2 notches above 100 the whole way back from Canada to Houston. And that's at 80 mph in 90F heat with the A/C on the whole way. That's why I feel venting the hood is just the icing on the cake.

Steve, I hope you are also following my Indy thread. I'm actually working on that now more than the chop top, and expect it to roll out soon. It won't be visualy perfect but it will be driveable.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 10-13-2004).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001

Originally posted by Fiero5:

Look forward to the next pics.

I finally had the Chop Top outside during the daylight hours.

I snapped a few quick pics to see how I like the new spoilers, (front and rear)

I just need a little bit more time to finalize the fitment of all the panels, add whatever scoops I want, and it's off to the painters.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is really, really nice! Question(s): What are you going to do about the side body lines? I notice you removed the door molding. Are you going to smooth-out the front and rear? Or just leave as-is?

Edit: Oh yeah do you have a pic of the oil cooler? One from outside the car looking at it? I may purchase one and just wanted to see how it looks from the outside, thanks.
Curley

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 10-13-2004).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:
Here is some info on it.

The oil cooler is the one recommended to my by Rockcrawl for its size and strong design as well as built in end mounting brackets. It is from a 700 series turbo volvo. The oil cooler is a very important part of the over all cooling system for an alluminum engine like the 4.9. Here is a picture of the same one used in Iannoy's car, Linenoise also has the same.

Pete

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

Curley, if you recall from Page 3 Pete talked about the oil cooler.

Oh and the trim is not removed. If it looks that way it's an optical illusion.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 10-13-2004).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One question: is the air filter located on the rt side of car? Or on the same side of the oil cooler?

Oh yeah... I like this pic

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 10-13-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that is quite the collection of cars in the background all covered up. Keeps you busy and out of trouble, ehh. I like the wing, I bet it catches alot of air with the roof so low.

Pete

PontiacJ8
From: Clay, New York w/ all the trees & the cars hidden in between!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ8Click Here to visit PontiacJ8's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I love all the car covers....lol
Another Fiero to idolize , what color did you decide on?
zMacK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zMacKSend a Private Message to zMacKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Iast pic of the choptop with the fieros all covered in the backround. Thats pure multiple fiero owner with class.
What % tint do you have? looks like 20ish?

You got a color yet? back would look sweet.... with chromes, like someone else said
then again im 2/3 for black. haha

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again for all the comments...

Curley, the air filter is on the left along with the oil cooler. If I relocate the battery to the front I could move the air filter to the right, but now there is nothing on the right.

Pete, I have enough projects to keep me busy into the next decade. And the 5 inch wing stands are perfect for the chop. It is at the same level as the roof. I can see perfectly under it in the rear view mirror.

zMack - the quarters are tinted 20%. The side windows are crystal clear. I plan to add 20% though to complete the look.

As for color I'm still not 100% sure but it will be one of the colors that you see above depicted on the GBCT.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 10-14-2004).]

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sweet...

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Needs an exotic color. Green may sound way off, but it looks amazing on the Murcielago.
Green

Also another very nice Murcielago. This is the color I'd paint it, but it's up to you.
Orange

BTW, I like the addition of the chin spoiler.

[This message has been edited by sqoach (edited 10-14-2004).]

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks alot better with the two spoilers! Cant wait to see it painted.

------------------
-Chris -
Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 4.9 V8 5spd

Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JScott, are you going to mold the front bottom bumper to the front nose? Or as-is?

IMO it might look better molded together?

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 10-14-2004).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks JScott,...those pics made my day !

Been bedridden and off of work for a week, due to health issues, and this gave me a reason to perk up and get excited !

Just what the Dr. ordered !!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 23 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock