Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  The Official History of JScott1's PROUD 1, or Meet Chop Top #14 (Page 18)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 23 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Official History of JScott1's PROUD 1, or Meet Chop Top #14 by jscott1
Started on: 07-29-2004 11:12 PM
Replies: 911 (67389 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 05-17-2020 12:44 AM
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well it's tomorrow. SHOW THE PICS!
IP: Logged
Firefox

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the delay. I had 1 spot on the passenger side of the rear clip that didn't like my paint and it wrinkled. I spent the evening fixing that and it looks great. The pics here don't do the color justice, but it's a beautiful blue.....

So far so good!

Mark
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefox:

Sorry for the delay. I had 1 spot on the passenger side of the rear clip that didn't like my paint and it wrinkled. I spent the evening fixing that and it looks great. The pics here don't do the color justice, but it's a beautiful blue.....

Mark

Whoo Hoo!! Better to find the bad spot now rather than after I get the car home like the last painter It looks great!
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good! Jon, do you plan on bringing this to Daytona? I would love to see it.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

Looks good! Jon, do you plan on bringing this to Daytona?

Yes, but not in 2008. After the paint is complete then the car has to go back to Archie's for a bit more work, (quarter windows installed, side windows buffed and speedo calibrated)....

Then I am going to have to travel back to Machesney Park to pick it up. And then after I pick it up I have probably a month's work of work to make the car street legal, (it has no interior at present). I'm afraid it's not going to be ready for Daytona, but if you show up at the 25th you have a good chance of seeing it.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 01-09-2008).]

JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats cool. I plan on being at the 25th too so hopefully it will be done and there.
My car is going through some changes itself and will not be show worthy but still drivable. I will be bringing it to both shows no matter what state it is in at the time. LOL
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2008 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok....update.

The inside of the doors are painted and I'm getting ready to knock out the front end. After the front, I'll roll it outside for pics in the sun ( if it ever shows up again ). It snowed again last night.

I love this blue.

Mark

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2008 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ended up painting the door skins and mirrors today. I had an issue with a crack in the front fender that showed up while preping it and took a bit to repair. I would have preferred to replace the fender but the rockers are molded into the fenders and I don't want to go through that mess. So, the painting continues and the pics will appear tomorrow.

Mark
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2008 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I ended up painting the door skins and mirrors today. I had an issue with a crack in the front fender that showed up while preping it and took a bit to repair. I would have preferred to replace the fender but the rockers are molded into the fenders and I don't want to go through that mess. So, the painting continues and the pics will appear tomorrow.

Mark

I can't wait to see the progress...

I'm guessing that crack was in the front right fender? That, (and the driver's door skin) are the only original panels on the car. I ran into a chair on the freeway resulting in that crack. Kind of interesting to see that it's still around.

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually the crack was in the wheel opening about 4 inches back from the point where the bumper cover meets the fender. I didn't take a pic of it.....oops. It was about 2 inches long and very easy to miss...until you put a bit of pressure on it, then it stuck out.

Pics of the door skins as soon as Kristie gets home with the camera

Mark
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Firefox

4307 posts
Member since Feb 2003
Ok....here's a few pics......

The skins are set up so I could spray the inside edges along with the outside for complete coverage.....

Jack stands are for more than holding the Fiero off of your face.....

The mirror base is just above and out of the pic.....

I really like this blue. Did I mention that before?

Mark
PFF
System Bot
PontiacJ829

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ829Click Here to visit PontiacJ829's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ829Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I really like this blue. Did I mention that before?

Reminds me of cotton candy.
From: Between The ATL and Augusta in a land of deer and cows

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 007Send a Private Message to 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paint!!!!!!!
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More paint tonight. I've got the rear bumper cover pretty much ready to go, but I ended up having them come off the cover in more than 1 piece. I should have a couple here that'll work just fine. I'm expecting that all the paint is going to be done by weeks end and wetsanding and polishing this weekend will commence, and if things go as smooth as they have the car should be done very early next week. I've got a bit of surgery on Tuesday and really would like to get this done for JScott. It's taken a bit longer than anticipated as there are always little things that surface while working on anything and this was no exception, but in the end the end result will be spectacular. I went back through this whole thread and watched the transformation of Proud-1 and I am thrilled to have a little part in this whole thing. She's really going to stand out at the 25th.

Mark

More pics later tonight
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

and really would like to get this done for JScott. It's taken a bit longer than anticipated as there are always little things that surface while working on anything and this was no exception, but in the end the end result will be spectacular. I went back through this whole thread and watched the transformation of Proud-1 and I am thrilled to have a little part in this whole thing. She's really going to stand out at the 25th.

Mark

More pics later tonight

That crack in the fender must have been a new one; the one by where the marker light used to be was so small I never bothered to fix it.

Mark don't sweat the time... If you see what the other painters did to my car you are Leonardo DaVinci and Michealangelo combined by comparison.

With the weather the way it's been it's okay for it to be closer to spring...when does spring ocurr in Wisconsin anyway?

I need to get humping on the interior...

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

More paint tonight. I've got the rear bumper cover pretty much ready to go, but I ended up having them come off the cover in more than 1 piece. I should have a couple here that'll work just fine. I'm expecting that all the paint is going to be done by weeks end and wetsanding and polishing this weekend will commence, and if things go as smooth as they have the car should be done very early next week. I've got a bit of surgery on Tuesday and really would like to get this done for JScott. It's taken a bit longer than anticipated as there are always little things that surface while working on anything and this was no exception, but in the end the end result will be spectacular. I went back through this whole thread and watched the transformation of Proud-1 and I am thrilled to have a little part in this whole thing. She's really going to stand out at the 25th.

Mark

More pics later tonight

Mark, I know JScott will tell you the same thing, take your time & get it right. As I told you when you picked it up, I think there's a lot of potential for problems in the nose & rear bumper. I know you'll watch them close.

I hope the surgery is nothing serious, I don't want to lose anymore friends this year. If your just getting your tubes tied then not to worry But if it's anything serious give me a call.

Archie

------------------

Sig by Custom2M4

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not rushing it at all. I'm going after everything that I can to make sure that this thing is done right and I'm finding that there are a number of things that I need to redo. I've found several very small cracks in the rear cover from both the moulding fill-in and corner cracks in the old paint, plus while I was sanding on the lower part of the cover below the license plate I found a spot where the current blue paint did not adhere to the very shiny and unsanded silver under it. I ended up pulling off a chunk pf paint that's the size of a dollar bill before I found paint around it that adhered properly. I really would have liked to send this cover out to Keystone Automotive for stripping but with the moulding filled in that's not an option. So, after a bit of sanding and scraping, it's in better shape and it should be just fine. Everything else seems to be solid and just this one large spot was crummy, plus I pulled the exhaust shields to repaint them off of the car. I have primer on it now and I've got a couple spots with some schmutz in it so I'm not going to paint tonight as it's getting too late. But, a couple of pics of the ' damage '...

It look a whole lot better now

Don't worry.....I'm not rushing it. I would like to get it done before Tuesday as I'm having a small abdominal hernia repaired ( Workers Comp ) ( Yay ) and I'll be off work for 3 weeks. I'm not going anywhere.

Mark
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not rushing it at all. I'm going after everything that I can to make sure that this thing is done right

I found a spot where the current blue paint did not adhere to the very shiny and unsanded silver under it.

Mark

I'm glad to hear that you are taking your time... Now you see the "quality" of the previous paint job...basecoat just sprayed over unsanded shiny silver paint... Sheesh. I'm pretty sure your paint job will be 10000% better. It looks good!
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally got the cover ready to go. The groove across the cover really wasn't very clean and I ended up sanding out the entire thing all the way across. Paint flies tomorrow.

Mark
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rear cover is painted. Looks fabulous! Pics tomorrow......
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok......pic time.....

Once I pick up the replacement reflectors I'll put it back on the car........

Mark
PFF
System Bot
From: Between The ATL and Augusta in a land of deer and cows

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 007Send a Private Message to 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
I need to get humping on the interior...

So, do you have some super-secret-never-seen-before plans? Considering your t-top, I'm sure you do. BUT, could ya tell us anyway?
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good Mark! Sooner or later your gonna get you hands on my car too.

------------------

My best advice when it comes to your Fiero is to "NOT" do any dealings with www.kitcarman.com
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-1-061575.html <~ The drama with kitcarman
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/078336.html <~ finishing and fixing kitcarmans mess
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079860.html <~ re-do after kitcarmans motor blew up.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 007:

So, do you have some super-secret-never-seen-before plans? Considering your t-top, I'm sure you do. BUT, could ya tell us anyway?

Of course... For sure it's not going to be stock.

Oh yeah, Mark forgot to say that it's looking great. You have kind of disproved a myth along the way...My car is smoothed yet the front and rear bumper covers and the door skins are still removable. Okay the front fenders and rear clip are not, but I don't expect to ever remove them.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 01-19-2008).]

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2008 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not so sure about the front cover being removable. I used the flexible repair schmutz and it's probably flexible enough to pull it, but I'm not going to pull it. I really don't want to have that crack again. I'm painting that on the car and that should happen today. But, it probably is removeable. and the warmer the temp the better. I've got my garage at about 70 degrees ( it's - 6 degrees outside ) ( yes, that's 6 degrees below zero ) and the covers flex much nicer when it's up around 90 or so. So, yeah, the covers and door skins are removable.

More later!

Mark
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2008 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Firefox

4307 posts
Member since Feb 2003

Looks good Mark! Sooner or later your gonna get you hands on my car too.

Thank you

I'd be happy to do some work for you, but I don't remember your car needing too much.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2008 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, yeah, the covers and door skins are removable.

More later!

Mark

Don't worry I don't intend to ever take this car apart again if I can help it. You must have one heck of a garage heater, I can't keep mine warm when it's 45F outside.
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2008 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Insulation helps! I still have a few little things to finish up before the garage is really set as I still need a new garage door and I need to finish up my ceiling......

My end project will be a finished garage with nothing outside of cabinets, sealed and painted floor, finished walls and ceiling that I can hose down for painting, plus sealed flourescent lighting. I have a nice high efficiency furnace and central air unit dedicated to the garage plus a couple of ventilation fans that exhaust outside for the fumes so the atmosphere is nice for painting. Since my garage is attached to the house, the vent fans keep a negative air pressure in the garage so the fumes don't leak into the house plus I have excellent weather seals and they get checked regularly. Right now my lights are on stands that I can move around and the walls aren't painted, but I'm slowly finishing things between cars. The new garage door is probably the last thing that I need to do. One step at a time.......plus I still have a real job during the day.

Mark the paint guy in the Frozen Tundra ( Go Packers )
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2008 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mark the paint guy in the Frozen Tundra ( Go Packers )

I also would like to have a nice clean garage with nothing on the walls, but I don't see it happening any time soon. I suppose no painting during the Packers Game? It's about 50F here, and I'm freezing.

JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2008 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you

I'd be happy to do some work for you, but I don't remember your car needing too much.

It's going to need a complete paint job once I take it to Archie. Planned for the future... Chop, Shaved moulding and the rear wing moved back 2 inches.
You probably don't remember but the current paint job is a single stage Maaco Job. It's horrible! All the current paint will already be sanded off by the time the car gets to you.
Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2008 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hurray for DELTRON!!!!!
PFF
System Bot
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2008 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's going to need a complete paint job once I take it to Archie.........

That makes things so much easier. I'm sure we can handle that for you.......any color you want.

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2008 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Firefox

4307 posts
Member since Feb 2003

....... I suppose no painting during the Packers Game? It's about 50F here, and I'm freezing.

No, not during the game. Now that it's over, we're all going to commit suicide. Green Bay didn't play very well and deserved to lose, but I can't dust myself off just yet. Too much work to do.

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2008 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Firefox

4307 posts
Member since Feb 2003
Ok....a bit of work got done tonight but no painting. We got another 6 inches of snow and I did a little plowing, plus I had to get ready for an overnight stay at the personal body and fender shop tomorrow night. I'll be out of action for a few days, but I've got an assistant helping me out this weekend to help me get things done. I'll have a lifting restriction for a while, but I can still lift the buffer!

Update in a couple of days.

Mark
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2008 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok....I'm still alive and have my assistant coming over tomorrow after work to help me lay out a few items and move the bigger pieces around. I have a very tight lifting restriction for a while but the progress will continue and we'll get this beauty on the road and looking perfect. The paint gun isn't that heavy.

More updates tomorrow.

Mark
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2008 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad you made it through the cutting okay... It's always scary even when it's routine. Don't push yourself, take it easy. And it will get finished when it's done. Compared to the other two painters you are moving at light speed.

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still keeping up the momentum.....the underside of the rear deck is finished.......and looks great!

Mark
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2008 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's Groundhog's Day... Did Phil see his shadow? Or do we have 6 more weeks of winter?
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2008 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks, he asked me if I wanted to change the color...heck no. First of all I like the Mazda Blue. Second, if he had to re-paint all the door jambs, and undersides of the hood, etc, it would take even longer. It's really just the parts that were exposed to the sun that had problems.

But I have a few new surprises for the next unveiling...

Any hints for the interested public?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2008 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

Any hints for the interested public?

That quote came from a while back....Everything that has been changed to date has been revealed.... The color did change to a Corvette Blue, the 4T60e has been replaced with a G6 6 speed, the doors open vertically, and the handles are now shaved with C6 poppers, and the mirrors have been replaced with 96 Aurora.

I have more things planned but I don't like to talk about things that are only planned...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 23 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock