Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  The Official History of JScott1's PROUD 1, or Meet Chop Top #14 (Page 17)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 23 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Official History of JScott1's PROUD 1, or Meet Chop Top #14 by jscott1
Started on: 07-29-2004 11:12 PM
Replies: 911 (67380 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 05-17-2020 12:44 AM
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the mean time here is a little You tube video I slapped together of Proud-1 in the original configuration...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh69U5Fqbh4

IP: Logged
Firefox

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok.....update time.

Lots of little details are finished.......cleaning up edges, smoothing out repairs, repairing roof cracks.....but no pics. For whatever reason, my PIP isn't letting me post and I'll have to reinstall tomorrow.

We just got a half a foot of snow and ice today and I've been out plowing all evening so I didn't get to work on the car tonight and Thursday morning Kristie and I are heading up to the UP of Michigan with Rob and Carissa ( MinnGreenGT and Mrs. MinnGreenGT ) and Kevin ( KEV ) so the work resumes Monday. I've got paint ready to spray and the mirrors are the first in line along with the wing. So, next week the progress will actually show. But I'll post a couple of pics that don't show much tomorrow after I figure out what I screwed up with PIP.

By the way, my neighbors who are car guys are in awe at the car.

Mark
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2007 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the update Mark. I'm real anxious to move forward. My parts room is overflowing with parts ready to go on this car. I've had to resort to stowing things in my bedroom. Nothing like waking up to the sight of a stack of chrome dubs!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2007 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Thanks for the update Mark. I'm real anxious to move forward. My parts room is overflowing with parts ready to go on this car. I've had to resort to stowing things in my bedroom. Nothing like waking up to the sight of a stack of chrome dubs!

Yeah, at one time, I had the same problem, hehe.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 12-14-2007).]

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2007 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok.....let's try this.

First pic is a repair done on one of the 2 cracks in the roof panel right behind the sunroof where the crack was filled in between the roof section and the rear clip. Both sides cracked and needed to be repaired. I dug out the damage and shoved fiberglass down under the roof panel and clip so there isn't any flexing between the 2 pieces. Should be good to go.

passenger side

This is the right door and rocker. Just a little touch up and it's almost ready for paint. Archie and his crew did a really nice job with the modifications and repair work on this car.

This is one of the mods......I'll have more pics when the entire car is done and we'll get pics of the mew latch setup.

That should hold until next week. I'm out of town for the rest of the weekend but I should still be able to check in. We're going to go sit in the bar at Big Powderhorn Mountain in Bessemer, Michigan and watch the skiers kill themselves.......

Mark
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2007 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefox:

Ok.....let's try this.

Mark

Thanks Mark...those pics mean a lot to me, maybe no one else at this point. Have fun in the snow... I might be able to shut off the a/c this weekend.

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok.....I'm home. Another 8 inches of snow to clean up. It's getting a little deep around here! We haven't had this much snow in December in quite a while.

Back to work on the car tomorrow!

Mark
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok.....I'm home. Another 8 inches of snow to clean up. It's getting a little deep around here! We haven't had this much snow in December in quite a while.

Back to work on the car tomorrow!

Mark

Welcome home...

Yes, winter has come fast and furious this year. We are expecting a freeze tonight. The record breaking heat of 83F last week is a distant memory. Of course it won't snow and it will be 72F by Wednesday.
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AutoTech:

Alright, alright.......it's hard to do pics when they don't show anything....

but here's the paint....

That gets open Friday and the paint starts flying!

Mark

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Woo hooo!
FierociousGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Woo hooo!

Can't wait to see the end results...
AutoTech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure you wear a mask, we dont want any of that ugly rubbin off on the paint!

Just kiddin, you always do a great job.

[This message has been edited by AutoTech (edited 12-19-2007).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FierociousGT:

Can't wait to see the end results...

Me either....it's going to look a lot like it did on page 12, but without the door handles, and different mirrors...

AutoTech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sexy....
AutoTech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That gets open Friday and the paint starts flying!

Mark

AHEM......its saturday...
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it's Saturday.....the3 paint can isn't open. I've been working on a few different details yet, plus I've had a killer cold the last few days so my time in the garage has been limited. But progress continues.

I pulled apart the mirrors. Because of the design, there is a pretty heavy seam between the two pieces and I didn't want to take the chance of the paint not adhering properly.

Plus it's the right way to do it.

The nose cracking is not an easy thing to tackle. There isn't much support behind this area and really no place to put support so I ground out the loose stuff and an using flexible repair goo instead of the fiberglass the previous guy did. This should work out just fine but it's not the easiest stuff to sand smooth.

This is what it looked like a while back before schmucking.

Just a little more in the way of updating. Once I have all of the details done the paint starts flying. I'm hoping to spray later today if I can breathe.

Mark

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just a little more in the way of updating. Once I have all of the details done the paint starts flying. I'm hoping to spray later today if I can breathe.

Mark

Cool stuff! keep the updates coming.
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been trying to get the dew wipes off of the inside of the door panel and I don't want to unbolt the glass. I've been fighting with it for quite a while but there is that one little screw in there and no room to play. The windows are fitting really nice and if I loosen them up I'm sure I'll have to fight with them for hours to get them to work as good as they are now. More to come!

Mark
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've been trying to get the dew wipes off of the inside of the door panel and

Mark

I'm surprised they are on that tight. I just put them on before I brought the car up there. I started to leave out those impossible to reach screws, but I figured they wouldn't need to come off for a while. I was wrong.

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

More to come!

Mark

I hear you guys have been snowed in again. Have a Happy Holiday and take your time, because the roads probably won't be clear until spring.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I hear you guys have been snowed in again. Have a Happy Holiday and .......TAKE YOUR TIME....., because the roads probably won't be clear until spring.

Not too much time
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

Not too much time

Hehe. What time is it? Man, the 25th is right around the corner and I'm no where close to being .....done. Oh thats right, Fiero are never finished.

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, we got hit again. Lots of rain, then sleet, then a little snow. Not much, but enough to really blow around and make travel difficult. Fortunately, the car is inside and the garage has heat so things keep getting done. I have some bumper cover repair schmutz on order from NAPA and I'm waiting for that to arrive and that's my only hold up. The rest of the car is pretty much ready to begin painting and once Christmas is past things will look like they are moving faster as the results will be very visible. The things I've been working on are the little things that you just don't notice if done right but notice if they aren't......( does that make sense? ).

Anyway, I just got home from work and Kristie and I are heading to Mom's house for dinner and presents and card playing.

Mark
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Firefox

4307 posts
Member since Feb 2003

I'm surprised they are on that tight. I just put them on before I brought the car up there. I started to leave out those impossible to reach screws, but I figured they wouldn't need to come off for a while. I was wrong.

I missed this post!

the screws aren't on tight but there is one screw behind the window glass that you can't remove with the glass in it's proper position. I'm going to remove the lower stop to let the glass come down farther....that'll do it.

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FireFox, how many gallons of paint will it take?
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2007 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not gallons, quarts. I'm expecting to use 3 quarts of color as the blue that we're using is a rather transparent paint. There is beautiful depth to this color when it's finished because of that and it does take a bit more paint than normal, plus there is a lot being sprayed that normally isn't body color on the Fieros.

The body work is just about finished. I was going to start painting last week but instead wanted to finish off as much of the dusty stuff first. We've been getting quite a bit of snow this December which is unusual and I usually move the car out of the garage for the accessory painting ( mirrors and other little stuff ) just so I have more working room in the garage but when there is snow falling all the time I don't want the car getting covered without being painted. Once it's painted it's safe for the moisture but until then I'm protecting it. But, yesterday I finally got NAPA to fill my order of another flexible bumper cover repair kit. For whatever reason, they took almost a week in getting it to me and that pretty much stopped me on the front cover repairs. I just have to finish off the final sanding on the driver's side and it's ready for primer. The roof is done and I'll spend most of the day working on the underside of the hood and rear deck as they are getting painted also.

I'll post pics in a bit.

Mark
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok...sorry for the delay. I ended up with a slight medical issue that I needed to deal with and things are back on track.

This is what we got last Friday and it totalled about 9 inches of snow. The car is nice and safe in the garage but I spent a bit of time cleaning up for family.

I played a bit and finished off the bodywork over the weekend and have things ready to go and I'm going to spray most of the body this weekend. The rear clip and roof will be first and then I'll turn it around and get the front, then doors....hood...rear deck....

I had hoped to get the mirrors and the wing first, but with the way things ended up I'm going to get the main parts of the car first. My usual work table for painting setup can't be used when the car is in the garage and every time I want to spray it snows out and I didn't want to expose the unfinished bodywork to the snow and moisture. So, we're getting there. I'll certainly have the car finished by January 21st as I have a little nip/tuck scheduled for the 23rd and I'll be out of action for a few weeks.

Mark
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is what we got last Friday and it totalled about 9 inches of snow. The car is nice and safe in the garage but I spent a bit of time cleaning up for family.

Mark

Thanks for the update... Not quite 9 inches but I did get to play in the snow today...

I'm looking forward to seeing the paint on the car for the first time in years.
Heretic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HereticSend a Private Message to HereticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I havent been following this thread, but please tell me you are getting some new rims!
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Heretic:

I havent been following this thread, but please tell me you are getting some new rims!

Of course! I bought new rims 2 years ago, but there was no point putting them on the car while it's being painted.

Here is a sneak preview:

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2008 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Of course! I bought new rims 2 years ago, but there was no point putting them on the car while it's being painted.

So does that mean I don't have to paint these rims? Cool.....

Anyway, time for an update.

The rear end is just about ready for paint. I pulled off everything that needs to come off and it's gong to be painted tomorrow. The deck lid is ready also but that's going to be painted seperately. The roof is nice and smooth and the seam is nowhere to be found......

The fuel pocket and door are out and there was really a huge lip at the edge of the fuel pocket. When the painting was done in the past, the fuel pocket was not pulled and the thickness of the paint really shows up there.

With that sanded down and smoothed out, the edge is clean and looks really nice.

More tomorrow!

Mark
PontiacJ829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2008 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ829Click Here to visit PontiacJ829's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ829Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You don't paint in the house garage do you? How are the fumes if you do? Good to see you using the DBU too, my Dad painted a Star Chief about 7 years ago with it and the paint still looks fresh!
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I paint in the garage right there. There are no fumes that get into the house for 2 reasons. First and formost, the weather seals are very tight at the door into the house and nothing gets through. I've had that garage smelling pretty awful for other things ( ever smell burned axle fluid? ) and not a trace into the house at all. Second, I have ventilation fans that suck fumes out of the garage causing a negative pressure in the garage and that will pull air into the garage through any leaks instead of allowing them to seep out. It does work out really well. I really don't paint very much in the garage so it's not like there is constant fume issues there, plus I do have animals in the house and I am very careful about them. That's why the tight seals around the door ( that and it's cold when the heat isn't on ).

As for the DBU, I love spraying this stuff. I've sprayed quite a few different brands over the years and nothing comes close to the ease of application of DBU and the quality of the paint overall. I haven't tried much of the stuff that's come out lately as I don't have the opportunity to spray something as a test subject, but I had to spray a '72 Nova with Martin-Seynour / NAPA paint and I hated that stuff. The car came out great, but the paint was very thin and runny, the coverage sucked, and the wetsanding was touchy. This stuff was so thin I was worried about sanding through on the flat areas. I was very unhappy with the it. Yes, PPG is much more expensive, but you do get a great quality paint that you can work with.....you do get what you pay for.

Mark

[This message has been edited by Firefox (edited 01-06-2008).]

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jonathan, I have sent you a couple of pm's this month (including 1 just now), and a text message, all with no reply. So I knew you would find this . Since I'm moving soon, please look for the messages and reply when you can. Thanks! btw, my phone number has changed. I included the new one in today's pm. Looks like the car is going to turn out great.

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok.....the rear of the car is masked and ready to go. We've got some unexpected company and I'm going to spray the back tomorrow rght after work. I would have been spraying earlier in the day but as I was finishing the prep on the rear bumper I found some issues that I didn't like and decided to pull the rear bumper cover. There was some areas under the rear of the cover that the old paint wasn't adhering very well and trying to get all that taken care of on the car isn't easy, plus I really wanted to pull out the rear reflectors from the pockets as the paint inside there isn't looking very good and the reflectors has overspray on it. With them removed I can clean up the reflectors and the pockets for a nicer finish. So, tomorrow it is.

Mark
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait!

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2008 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paint is flying.

Pics tomorrow.

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2008 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah we have heard that before, right Jon

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. 12" Vette Rotors,Custom stuff done

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 23 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock